Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Podcasters:

Do you think Dave Meltzer overrates NJPW and their top stars?

We've been discussing this in the NJPW thread and I think it could be a good topic for a podcast debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Yes. Why would there even be a debate?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChikoDemono posted:

There are people in the MOTYC thread rating stuff higher than him?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah I remember at the time that Backlash actually felt like Wrestlemania, whereas Wrestlemania 2000 felt like just a regular PPV (the all day Wrestlemania countdown show was great though). The tag ladder match was awesome but outside of that there was a lot of poo poo. Backlash had the awesome main event with the Stone Cold mega pop.

I went and searched for the mega-pop from backlash and noticed something. This is an official WWE video and there's a shitload of chair shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYF6r22UjKU

What's off is that everyone who takes an unprotected chair shot to the dome gets it edited to look like a video burp happens at the moment of impact, while those who take it on the back (Triple H) or get their hands up (Patterson) they show contact.

Is this a new thing or has it been mentioned by Meltzer or anyone else? If so is it common on the network as well? I don't think it's a coincidence that the video wonks out at those exact moments only.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ChikoDemono posted:

I think he's guilty of overrating certain matches (and underrating others) but the company is putting on better wrestling right now than any other that I've ever followed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

maniacripper posted:

I went and searched for the mega-pop from backlash and noticed something. This is an official WWE video and there's a shitload of chair shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYF6r22UjKU

What's off is that everyone who takes an unprotected chair shot to the dome gets it edited to look like a video burp happens at the moment of impact, while those who take it on the back (Triple H) or get their hands up (Patterson) they show contact.

Is this a new thing or has it been mentioned by Meltzer or anyone else? If so is it common on the network as well? I don't think it's a coincidence that the video wonks out at those exact moments only.

It's totally a thing in video packages on the Network, but I haven't noticed it being edited on the actual playback of the PPVs. I'm at work and can't check right now, but if someone wants to cue up the 2000 Rumble and watch Foley get his brains scrambled they could check it out. The other reason I can't watch that right now is the fact that I won't be able to watch that ever again having watched the Foley documentary where he talks about his memory loss and not being able to ride roller-coasters anymore :smith:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Backlash 2000 not being Wrestlemania 2000 was goddamned criminal and so unbelievably stupid.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
That Goldust/Roddy Piper fight is a great watch after listening to that episode of Jericho. In addition to Piper punching Dust in the forehead 3 times it also looks like he knocked him in the head with the handle of the bat too.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

weekly font posted:

Backlash 2000 not being Wrestlemania 2000 was goddamned criminal and so unbelievably stupid.

This is a legit post.

I still think Scotty 2 Hotty died that night.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

weekly font posted:

Yep, that Rock vs. HHH match with Austin returning would've been a hell of a Wrestlemania match/moment. The whole show just felt like the build to Backlash which was really loving stupid.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I was listening to the Bryan show with granny and lance today. Apparently Bryan doesn't use ad block.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Jericho and the Rhodes Brothers was great. I loved Vince's reaction to Cody's 'tache.

"I can still tell it's you under there."

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

mariooncrack posted:

I was listening to the Bryan show with granny and lance today. Apparently Bryan doesn't use ad block.

A buddy of mine was complaining about ads showing up every 2 minutes when he tried watching the G1 on Dailymotion. I had to explain adblock to him.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

weekly font posted:

The same can be said about Backlash 1999 compared to Wrestlemania 15. That was such a better version of basically the same show.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

DrVenkman posted:

Jericho and the Rhodes Brothers was great. I loved Vince's reaction to Cody's 'tache.

"I can still tell it's you under there."
And Arn being disappointed in him for growing it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Perigryn posted:

It's a shame that Jericho is clearly only given an hour with people. I could've listened to those guys just tell stories. Or just have a regular Jericho/Heyman/Edge podcast.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Thauros posted:

I think he's guilty of overrating certain matches (and underrating others) but the company is putting on better wrestling right now than any other that I've ever followed.

I think stuff comes off a lot better when you're following along with it in real time. That's part of the problem with Dave and NJPW; statements about this G1 being the best tournament ever as if it's unquestionable objective fact demonstrate a lack of perspective from a guy you'd expect to have an abundance of it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you're a fan of Paul Heyman, you really should listen to this week's mma hour. He talks for over an hour about pro wrestling and mma and I don't think he retells that many stories.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

It's sort of shocking to me that Hulk Hogan hasn't been on one of the million Podcast One episodes. I REALLY want him to go on Austin's. I'm sure that will be one of the episodes where Stone Cold has one of his short term memory lapses.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I want him to show up on Roddy's just to see if they can co-exist long enough to not break anything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It's sort of shocking to me that Hulk Hogan hasn't been on one of the million Podcast One episodes. I REALLY want him to go on Austin's. I'm sure that will be one of the episodes where Stone Cold has one of his short term memory lapses.

I think his handlers know it's not wise for him to talk for very long.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah a few months ago I'd suggest that Hogan would balk at the podcast circuit because he might have to be honest, but that was before Bischoff and Russo started making the rounds. Maybe Hogan demands some absurd sum to even appear.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Hogan probably isn't doing anyone else's podcasts because he's busy trying to get his own Hulkamaniac Prime Time Podcast or something.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
OSW Review posted a new video! It's Capital Carnage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEKpXIyczYo

NSFW due to titty.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
It's gonna be EMOTIONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I think stuff comes off a lot better when you're following along with it in real time. That's part of the problem with Dave and NJPW; statements about this G1 being the best tournament ever as if it's unquestionable objective fact demonstrate a lack of perspective from a guy you'd expect to have an abundance of it.

He's been to G-1s live, and the opinion that this G1 is the best tournament in wrestling history is pretty widespread at this point. The tournament even corrects the main complaint with last year's booking too, so it's not like this is without perspective either.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Are we only counting other Round Robin tournaments because Super J Cup 94 is a pretty tough one to top.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Are we only counting other Round Robin tournaments because Super J Cup 94 is a pretty tough one to top.

When I saw random people on twitter comparing the two about a week ago I sat back and thought "Wow this G1 has been kind of great!" I think it is comparing it to any tournament, but both styles have their own quirks. One has more matches so it can have more great matches, while the other is more focused and streamlined so it will have less stinkers.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I kind of want to arrange a day/time where we all send Bryan Alvarez shoutouts out of nowhere because he's still advertising them on his site. Just a large amount of e-mails all appearing at the same time so it's impossible for him to miss.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

He's been to G-1s live, and the opinion that this G1 is the best tournament in wrestling history is pretty widespread at this point. The tournament even corrects the main complaint with last year's booking too, so it's not like this is without perspective either.

How much of the idea being widespread is because of Dave constantly repeating it though? I have no problem with people saying it's their favourite, but the matter-of-fact proclamation of BEST EVER irks me. Has anyone making those claims gone back and watched every G1, Champion's Carnival, Real World Tag League, G1 Tag League, BOSJ, etc. to really back it up? Not to mention actually letting it settle a little since as I said before stuff always seems better when you're following it in real time, which hasn't been possible with Japanese stuff until very recently.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What would be considered the best American tournament ever?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

BOLA 2014

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 8, 2014

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

EugeneJ posted:

What would be considered the best American tournament ever?

Crockett Cup 86?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
TPI 04 maybe for the sheer amount of talent involved (but as always gently caress ian rotten)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

How much of the idea being widespread is because of Dave constantly repeating it though? I have no problem with people saying it's their favourite, but the matter-of-fact proclamation of BEST EVER irks me. Has anyone making those claims gone back and watched every G1, Champion's Carnival, Real World Tag League, G1 Tag League, BOSJ, etc. to really back it up? Not to mention actually letting it settle a little since as I said before stuff always seems better when you're following it in real time, which hasn't been possible with Japanese stuff until very recently.

It sure sucks that people like saying stuff. People get excited when they are watching things they like, who cares? Dave has been more measured than many saying it will depend on the rest of the tournament, the booking, etc. He also only really gives his thoughts on this three times a week, so it's not like he can lead the real time wave of enthusiasm there has been for this tournament. The people who surprised me the most with the buzz for the tournament on twitter weren't people who pay any attention to Dave, they were people who used to watch tapes of puro and casually follow WWE now, and they were going wild for it. When people who aren't super fans feel the same way as a guy like Dave who has watched as much of that stuff as possible it's probably not hyperbole to consider a tournament as the greatest ever. I have no idea why you would demand someone to back up their opinion with that much thought and viewership of tournaments, voters for major sporting awards aren't even held to that kind of standard.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

King of the Ring 1995.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
On the interview with Observer Dave Meltzer basically says "Bret is a huge fan of yours" to Drew McIntyre.

I TOLD YOU HE WAS GREAT!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Bret said that himself the last time he was on the WON podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Perigryn posted:

And insisting that all the merchandise it sold was bought by Cody personally :allears:

• Locked thread