Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Jadeite is into Mars? :psyduck:

There's a single artbook image with Shittenou/Senshi pairings which of course made it huge in the fandom. Its present in some of the musicals and I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporate it here.

Can't say I'm a fan though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Jadeite is a huge dick and doesn't deserve the awesomeness of Mars.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Anyone willing to make an avatar sized version of this?
Thinking it over, I've had my current avatar for like 6 years, so it's time for a change. And Laptop Cat will be a good fit.

I just need to think of a good custom title to go with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SereneCrimson posted:

Thinking it over, I've had my current avatar for like 6 years, so it's time for a change. And Laptop Cat will be a good fit.

"God dammit, cat, get off my keyboard!"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SereneCrimson posted:

Here ya go:

The original image looks kind of dim, so here are two other color variations:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 4, 2014

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Thanks very much!

I'm thinking of going with the text "I swear to god, I didn't post that. It was my cat..."

Now I just gotta figure out why my credit card isn't going through.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

Thanks very much!

I'm thinking of going with the text "I swear to god, I didn't post that. It was my cat..."

You mean space cat. Luna is a space cat.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AshB posted:

You mean space cat. Luna is a space cat.

A space cat from a space cat planet that has its own Sailor protector!

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

SereneCrimson posted:

Thanks very much!

Is "CAT-LIKE TYPING DETECTED" too passé?

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

John Carstairs posted:

Well, I believe this is the specific word she uses. Gaze upon it and giggle.

Mars spanking monsters = the best.

Rodyle posted:

Jadeite is into Mars? :psyduck:

The line about being attracted to her/intrigued by her is present in the manga, and as aers mentioned, there's that artbook image, but there's no actual canon relationship between the two of them in the past, which for me would mean manga panels in which we see them interacting. But the Senshi and the Shitennou did know each other for a period, when they were their respective princess and prince's honour guards, and Jadeite may be vaguely recognising Rei, who he doesn't yet know is the reincarnation of the Sailor Mars he met back then. And if he thought she was kind of hot, well, she's kind of hot.

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

It's the first drat thing I thought of when that shot came up in the episode, so if we're passé, we're passé together.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

I'm not going to lie, it's tempting!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Make it some PC game joke.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Go even older school with: on the internet, know one knows you're a catfrom a space cat planet that has its own Sailor protector!

or

Senerio posted:

Make it some PC game joke.

PCgaming master race

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

CAT-LIKE TYPING DETECTED
:pcgaming:

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

It's kind of hilarious that she says "all I'm good at is studying" right after demonstrating ridiculously good reflexes. Really, her only flaw seems to be low self-esteem.

Ami is invariably the cooler-headed, subdued one on the team (Rei in SMC will probably be introverted but prickly, same as PGSM and the comic) so yeah once she gets over her shyness a bit she's one of the more mature, well-adjusted girls in the group. The fact she's genuinely polite about it I think is why fans don't resent her and why, say, you don't think often of how exasperated she must get when everyone around her is being an idiot. (It's esp weird because she's not too far off Michiru, who in-story is seen as super elegant but I think writers, including the creator, admit she's kind of boring to write for.)

I always thought the old anime was kind of lovely at writing 'reactive' characters vs proactive ones; SMC seems to be going for a more subdued tone than even PGSM did. Rei and Mamoru are already more chill than their old-school counterparts (which is a manga thing yeah, but even compared to the live show) making me a little hopeful the Standard Mysterious New Characters of various arcs to come wont be as overt douchebags as they could be.

keet fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 5, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

penguinmambo posted:

(It's esp weird because she's not too far off Michiru, who in-story is seen as super elegant but I think writers, including the creator, admit she's kind of boring to write for.)

I wonder if this is why in the anime why Michiru was always the character who would use thinly-veiled innuendos and the like around Haruka, to try and give her more of a personality.

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

penguinmambo posted:

I always thought the old anime was kind of lovely at writing 'reactive' characters vs proactive ones; SMC seems to be going for a more subdued tone than even PGSM did. Rei and Mamoru are already more chill than their old-school counterparts (which is a manga thing yeah, but even compared to the live show) making me a little hopeful the Standard Mysterious New Characters of various arcs to come wont be as overt douchebags as they could be.

Mamoru seemed less stoic in the manga in the equivalent on-the-bus scene that episode 3 had. I'm not sure I find him or Rei interesting or fun to watch at this point, but we're only three episodes in. I'm hoping there will be some more character interaction in the fourth episode to flesh them out, since we'll be taking a break from introducing new senshi.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

ashweh posted:

Mamoru seemed less stoic in the manga in the equivalent on-the-bus scene that episode 3 had. I'm not sure I find him or Rei interesting or fun to watch at this point, but we're only three episodes in. I'm hoping there will be some more character interaction in the fourth episode to flesh them out, since we'll be taking a break from introducing new senshi.

In the manga bus scene he's outright cute and sassy, all 'Yeah, Luna, what were you going to say?' I was sad they didn't use that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Dove from Above posted:

In the manga bus scene he's outright cute and sassy, all 'Yeah, Luna, what were you going to say?' I was sad they didn't use that.

I really love how someone finally noticed her walking around in public talking with her cat.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hulu is up to the Jupiter episodes now for the original series.

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪

I'm so happy! but I wish I there was an english dub.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

M3V posted:

There will be eventually, I'm sure - but I expect they're waiting for the show to be done before they set that up. Viz also have two hundred episodes and three movies and a special short of the 90s anime to dub, too, so that's kind of a project.

Kingtheninja posted:

Hulu is up to the Jupiter episodes now for the original series.

Yesssssssss.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

M3V posted:

They are currently remastering the English dub of the original anime.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I was looking for awesome Sailor Mars fanart to post here in honour of last episode. I found this instead:

I love how in-character all these poses are. :3:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And the japanese fans are noticing. Oh boy, this will get ugly if Toei don't figure this poo poo out PDQ.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ConanThe3rd posted:

And the japanese fans are noticing. Oh boy, this will get ugly if Toei don't figure this poo poo out PDQ.

They're only now noticing the corner cutting?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

They're only now noticing the corner cutting?

Japan has a high BS tollerance.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Can you give some examples, for those of us who can't speak/read Japanese?

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪
I really like the music here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Va228UhRs :nyan: :syoon: :sissies: :nyan:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dove from Above posted:

Can you give some examples, for those of us who can't speak/read Japanese?
If it's showing up on Pixiv alá above then they know.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

If it's showing up on Pixiv alá above then they know.

But does that picture express a criticism of the Crystal art and animation? I mean, it's a gorgeous picture full of personality and charm and I love the little touches like Ami holding her skirt down. Bear in mind I can't read Japanese, so if the artist's comment with it says something critical I can't tell.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dove from Above posted:

But does that picture express a criticism of the Crystal art and animation? I mean, it's a gorgeous picture full of personality and charm and I love the little touches like Ami holding her skirt down. Bear in mind I can't read Japanese, so if the artist's comment with it says something critical I can't tell.

Well, the artist's description for that picture on pixiv is literally blank, so.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Dove from Above posted:

I think its reflected in the quality of said drawing. Example is Ami's eyes are quite far apart and uneven which was very apparent in episode two. I think the artist is intentionally drawing her that way to "follow" the it looks on the anime.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think that fanart really says anything about Japanese fans' views of Crystal anyway, since the artist is, if not Chinese, someone who lives in mainland China.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yea I think most of the people who seem really into this remake in Japan are people who grew up on it and are probably not being spergy about animation quality.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What's Hulu's update schedule for new episodes? My girlfriend is annoyed that it's been more than a week since the latest ep (Mars' first appearance)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

C-Euro posted:

What's Hulu's update schedule for new episodes? My girlfriend is annoyed that it's been more than a week since the latest ep (Mars' first appearance)

I don't know about Hulu specifically, but the show airs on alternate Sundays Saturdays. It's always going to be more than a week between episodes.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 14, 2014

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Hulu is every other Saturday too :) not sure exactly what time, though

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know about Hulu specifically, but the show airs on alternate Sundays Saturdays. It's always going to be more than a week between episodes.

The schedule is every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month, which means that Act 5 will not go live until September 6th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Dopefish Lives! posted:

The schedule is every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month, which means that Act 5 will not go live until September 6th.

You mean August 30th. September 6th will be a week without Crystal (Which means of course that we'll hit episode 13 around christmas.)

Anyway, I recently picked up the first six volumes of the manga. Its... definitely different. I notice that they combined the ending of the Dark Kingdom arc with the beginning of Black Moon in Act 14.

The story moves really quickly though, and its sort of satisfying to see Jadeite and friends basically melting to death. The artstyle's even way better than I had thought it was going to be, I was somewhat expecting something along the lines of the promotional art where its all noodly and sort of bad but it really looks a lot like the 90s anime to me.

Crystal really doesn't look much like it at all.

• Locked thread