Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

oh okay, i misunderstood. because that would be crazy

of course, if your company isn't huge and is cheap as gently caress they won't get volume licenses, because it might actually be cheaper in some territories to just buy office in stores, and also they tend to have poo poo planning and need a license now because they're burning money paying the new employee they never told us about to just sit there and wank so they have to go out and buy the retail version so we can install it so the new employee can sit there and wank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Blackula69 posted:

a reasonable assumption all the same

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Current Mouse Repair Progress: The replacement mouse feet I ordered arrived way early and work great. THe batteries should be here next week. I was also having a problem with the wheel clutch behaving erratically so I opened up the mouse and one of the wires to the solenoid that controls the clutch was way loose and infact broke off when I examined it further! a quick re-solder and it was back in place and working great again.

Logitech if you had just made a new mouse I would have bought that instead of doing this so thanks a lot.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

mice are rly bad now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah I probably got gouged pretty bad on these mouse feet but its worth it to fix this mouse that I love.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the intellimouse was the good one so naturally it had to be ended

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mx revolution is the best. it has all the buttons and wheels I need to get the job done right

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

and the product keycard you get with oem or retail copies? that's not your license key, it's a redemption key for a license key, that has exactly the same structure as a license key but cannot be used to actually activate the product and there is no way to tell which license key is tied to which activation key in the license portal. so just throw that poo poo out once you've activated because you'll never use it again and it's not a proof of license in the event of an audit
[/list]

microsoft produced a whole loving lot of training material about those cards for big-box retail employees. detailed isntructions on what the card looks like, what it does, what it is and isn't, etc. the original plan was to try and have the retail employees walk people through setting up a microsoft account right then and there at the register, but that got nixed pretty fast

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Shaggar posted:

mx revolution is the best. it has all the buttons and wheels I need to get the job done right

i dont rly care for logitech hopin for bankruptcy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

duTrieux. posted:

microsoft produced a whole loving lot of training material about those cards for big-box retail employees. detailed isntructions on what the card looks like, what it does, what it is and isn't, etc. the original plan was to try and have the retail employees walk people through setting up a microsoft account right then and there at the register, but that got nixed pretty fast

no poo poo, because it takes at least 10 minutes, even when you know what you're doing. and it involves putting in all kinds of private info, birth date, multiple security questions, and a cell phone number/alternate email that has to be authenticated to create the account. try getting your average best buy customer to give you that info or input it themselves. you'd be there all day for every single sale

it's a clusterfuck and there's absolutely no reason to require it in the first place.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

theadder posted:

i dont rly care for logitech hopin for bankruptcy

one more round of webtv oughta do it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blackula69 posted:

u aren't wrong for thinking it would be done in the stupidest most obtuse way possible, u just aren't redmond material

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

no poo poo, because it takes at least 10 minutes, even when you know what you're doing. and it involves putting in all kinds of private info, birth date, multiple security questions, and a cell phone number/alternate email that has to be authenticated to create the account. try getting your average best buy customer to give you that info or input it themselves. you'd be there all day for every single sale

it's a clusterfuck and there's absolutely no reason to require it in the first place.

the best account creation method was whatever system battle.net used for te original Starcraft. It asked u: username. password. And that was it. i made a new account every time i logged in(power user)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i still think a kiosk that lets you select what software you want before disgorging said software on a microsoft-branded flash drive after payment would be totally rad

put in a clear window so you can see robot arms whipping around and poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so speaking of ms licensing why can't I buy a cal from Microsoft?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

duTrieux. posted:

i still think a kiosk that lets you select what software you want before disgorging said software on a microsoft-branded flash drive after payment would be totally rad

i could really only see microsoft doing this if it ripped your dick off in the process.

it just doesn't meet their product experience standards otherwise

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

so speaking of ms licensing why can't I buy a cal from Microsoft?

you can if you're a huge multi-national. but otherwise that would be microsoft competing with their valued partners, and they can't be doing that

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Snipe posted:

Forgive me...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

duTrieux. posted:

that or some sort of app store that wasn't a barren wasteland

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you can if you're a huge multi-national. but otherwise that would be microsoft competing with their valued partners, and they can't be doing that

but there's a button in small business server that says "buy more CALs". it goes to a page that has no mention of how to purchase CALs

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 9, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

but there's a button in small business server that says "buy more CALs". it does to a page that has no mention of how to purchase CALs

apparently they forgot that you have to buy cals through a reseller, so there's no way to even do that without just linking to a big ol' list of authorized microsoft distributors.

except for office 356 and exchange online, which you can buy direct from microsoft, because reasons

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TerminalRaptor posted:

Forgive me...

when you put it on a piece of computer hardware a swastika just makes me think "sun microsystems"

edit:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
why did you change the spelling in my name when you quoted me

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because, and i hate to be the one to tell you, your name is spelled wrong

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
pram your posting was way better with your old av

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ronnies self esteem is already low enough

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ya someone change it back

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its riling me

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i like this web comic

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ronnie :iamafag:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sniep posted:

why did you change the spelling in my name when you quoted me

I'm developing grampa fingers :(. I'm lucky I can hit click the "Submit Reply" button without accidentally formatting my computer in the process.

Also I feel all of Logitech's quality has gone to crap in the past 8 or so years. I have a Performance MX and its buttons have all worn in addition to the metal trim developing this weird corrosion. The Harmony remote I have is actively trying to self destruct itself in new an unique ways every week (and I baby that thing). I love the fact I spent well over $100 on it when I got it a few years back, and yet the Curtis Mathis remote that came with my parents 25 year old TV still worked until they threw it out.

I miss my Intellimouse Explorer. I'd probably still be using it if the scroll wheel hadn't gone all Skynet on me. Microsoft's keyboard and mice were perfect back when and yet somehow they found a way to gently caress that up.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i use this for my media browsin at home

and its gotta be the last good thing logitech has made. i gently caress this thing up, constantly forgetting its on my lap only to have it smash into the floor, batteries fly out, etc. but if u put it back together it works just fine

of course being logitech they recently took it off the market and introduced a new version that replaces the volume buttons up top with home/back/forward buttons for IDIOTS so now its trash. its a really good keyboard if u just have a laptop stashed behind ur LCD as a "media PC"

if ur noticing a pattern u are correct i only buy dumb poo poo for babies

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tkats juist the google tv keyboard

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

tkats juist the google tv keyboard

did google have the volume buttons or the website browsing buttons? important.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it had like a billion buttons

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

it had like a billion buttons

yeah that owns. that left click mouse buton on the top left corner is crazy useful, u can use the touchpad w/ur right thumb and left thumb on the left click button like a big unweildy videogame controller.

the magnifying glass button is dumb but ill deal w.it

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Remember when they started putting "F-Lock" keys on keyboards for a while, and if you didn't turn it on before hitting any of the Function- keys random poo poo would happen?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TerminalRaptor posted:

Remember when they started putting "F-Lock" keys on keyboards for a while, and if you didn't turn it on before hitting any of the Function- keys random poo poo would happen?

that's just the way things are now. nobody apparently uses function keys and everyone loves when random things happen when you press the top row of the keys. thanks crapple

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Sassafras posted:

(edit: never mind, marginal chance of being sensitive info)

so is blanking all of your own posts your gimmick

• Locked thread