Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
In nicer news, my university Greens Club reformed and they seemed worried we wouldn't get the ten required to remake the club, and more and more people kept arriving as the meeting went on. Sadly the new FB page already has Young Liberals complaining about 'more communists'.

Oh well, still felt pretty good to be there. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

Victorian Liberals are loving over their Coalition mates the Nationals by fielding a candidate for the safe Nats seat of Euroa.

Nats are mad about it, but not mad enough to leave the Coalition

This happens at least once every state and federal election. They are every so slightly being squeezed and they sit there and take it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

This happens at least once every state and federal election. They are every so slightly being squeezed and they sit there and take it.

Splits, mate, they have been warned

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

:vince:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
In all seriousness though, the nats are probably worried that if they split from the coalition, it might mean people examine who they are voting for for the first time, and upon doing so realise that the nationals have not done poo poo for farmers in 50 years.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

In all seriousness though, the nats are probably worried that if they split from the coalition, it might mean people examine who they are voting for for the first time, and upon doing so realise that the nationals have not done poo poo for farmers in 50 years.

They could just split and say "we've been led astray by the libs, you can trust us to look after rural Australia!" and people will still vote for them because the alternatives ate ~worse~.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
"As a farmer, I'm happy to vote for an ineffective and impotent barnacle, desperately clinging to the hull of the HMAS Neoliberalism"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

We must find a final solution to the Islamic problem.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
The featured Life of Pyne article looks almost as vomitous as the headline.

Didn't that previous feature on Pyne have the tidbit that he had a painting on his office wall of the British fighting the Zulus which 'gave him inspiration' or some poo poo.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pred1ct posted:

The featured Life of Pyne article looks almost as vomitous as the headline.

Didn't that previous feature on Pyne have the tidbit that he had a painting on his office wall of the British fighting the Zulus which 'gave him inspiration' or some poo poo.

Yes, a painting of the battle of Rorke's Drift, "It's a metaphor, for me fighting the Labor party"

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Uh

I got an APA with a D average in my undergrad and no papers?

I got first class for my honours year though so that might have been what did it.

I got my APA with an HD average, First Class Honours-equiv Masters and 4 published papers, and a friend didn't get one with HD avg/1C/no papers. Depends a bit on how many your university gets allocated and how competitive they are.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Kim Jong ill posted:

Couple of questions that I should know the answer to (as I want to go into research post grad) but don't; if a HD is 7/7 how do you have a HD average GPA without getting all HDs throughout your degree? And when you guys say published do you mean like peer reviewed conference papers or journals? Because I don't really see an undergrad producing journal quality work.

P sure you average out raw scores, rather than grades. So if, say an HD is a final score of 80-100, having a mean mark of above 80 would be an HD average.

Or at least that's the way I've always calculated it.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Depends how you do it. The APA scoring (at my uni, dunno about others) is based actually on GPA, so to get 4/4 GPA you need to get an HD in literally every unit (which is what I did) (b/c I own). Otherwise, they base it on WAM which is just a weighted average of every unit, and you can afford to get 70 or something in a particularly difficult unit.

As for papers, most people in STEM will generally publish at least one during hons from their thesis. I had 4 because I did a Masters, which gave me a bit more time to do other stuff and I also went to Belgium to work in research before my APA application went in, so I got one from there. Another came from a normal coursework unit assignment that I rewrote to tighten up the language. One paper from my MSc thesis proposal turned into a position paper, and another from the final thesis written into a paper.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Kim Jong ill posted:

Couple of questions that I should know the answer to (as I want to go into research post grad) but don't; if a HD is 7/7 how do you have a HD average GPA without getting all HDs throughout your degree? And when you guys say published do you mean like peer reviewed conference papers or journals? Because I don't really see an undergrad producing journal quality work.

also, don't go into research

don't do it

don't do it.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Haters Objector posted:

P sure you average out raw scores, rather than grades. So if, say an HD is a final score of 80-100, having a mean mark of above 80 would be an HD average.

Or at least that's the way I've always calculated it.

Though Kim Jong Il lives in SA so a HD is 85% or above, not 80%. It's a bit harder to get HDs and first class honours at unis where 85+ is the standard, so that's probably why he was saying it was difficult to get a HD average.

Murodese posted:

As for papers, most people in STEM will generally publish at least one during hons from their thesis.

This is actually pretty uncommon out of everyone I know in biology. I know post-docs who have never published.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Vladimir Poutine posted:

This is actually pretty uncommon out of everyone I know in biology. I know post-docs who have never published.

Really? I have a biologist on ResearchGate and literally every 5 loving minutes he's making GBS threads out a new paper about some particular aspect of some particular plant or something.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Murodese posted:

Really? I have a biologist on ResearchGate and literally every 5 loving minutes he's making GBS threads out a new paper about some particular aspect of some particular plant or something.

I guess I'm mostly talking molecular and microbiology. I don't really have much to do with ecology people. For all I know it might not be true of them.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I guess I'm mostly talking molecular and microbiology. I don't really have much to do with ecology people. For all I know it might not be true of them.

Varies by your department, as well. In Belgium there was pretty big pressure to publish amongst PhDs, with at least a couple of papers per year on top of your thesis work. Over here it's a lot slacker, I've found. More like one per year.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
OK AusPolers, in researching our Russian Trade debarcle I came across something that is fascinating. Now the embargo is only on 'produce' but our trade with Russia is almost entirely (Imports to Australia) Crude Oil ~ 1 Billion per annum.

Our exports are mainly produce but nearly half is:

"Confidential Items of Trade" to the tune of ~ 0.5 Billion P/A.

This is a real brain teaser. I did some poking and found:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/5372.0.55.001

"5372.0.55.001 - International Merchandise Trade: Confidential Commodities List, Jun 2014" - Which only deepens the mystery.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/australias-trade-at-a-glance/g20.html Is the best I could find on the DFAT site, but it lists our trade as $738 Million and if you add up the items listed you come up 291 million short. Going the other way you get a much more believable 50 Million (As in there are other sundry items that don't get a separate listing that make up 50 million).

:tinfoil:

So what are we secretly exporting to the Russian Federation to the tune of ~0.5 Billion per annum. I had a guess at bank notes but that doesn't seem to work. Uranium exports don't seem to work out either. Some sort of financial instrument?

The truth is out there!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Weird, my experience has been the opposite - I was lead author on a computational biology paper in 3rd year undergrad, and it was the norm in honours. This wasn't a sandstone uni either.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 9, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

OK AusPolers, in researching our Russian Trade debarcle I came across something that is fascinating. Now the embargo is only on 'produce' but our trade with Russia is almost entirely (Imports to Australia) Crude Oil ~ 1 Billion per annum.

Our exports are mainly produce but nearly half is:

"Confidential Items of Trade" to the tune of ~ 0.5 Billion P/A.

This is a real brain teaser. I did some poking and found:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/5372.0.55.001

"5372.0.55.001 - International Merchandise Trade: Confidential Commodities List, Jun 2014" - Which only deepens the mystery.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/australias-trade-at-a-glance/g20.html Is the best I could find on the DFAT site, but it lists our trade as $738 Million and if you add up the items listed you come up 291 million short. Going the other way you get a much more believable 50 Million (As in there are other sundry items that don't get a separate listing that make up 50 million).

:tinfoil:

So what are we secretly exporting to the Russian Federation to the tune of ~0.5 Billion per annum. I had a guess at bank notes but that doesn't seem to work. Uranium exports don't seem to work out either. Some sort of financial instrument?

The truth is out there!

Confidential Commodities can be such exciting things as:

quote:

034.28 Other frozen fish (specifically tooth fish) A,B from Oct 2003
041.1 Unmilled durum wheat B, C from Jul 1988
041.2 Unmilled wheat and meslin B, C from Dec 1991
042 Rice (selected varieties) A, B Various
043 Unmilled barley B latest 6 months only
045.2 Unmilled oats B from Jul 1993
057.79 Edible nuts n.e.s. (specifically macadamia nuts) B From Mar 2000
061.11 Sugar (raw cane) A available on a quarterly basis after a 6 month lag
081.13 Lupins (incl. feed for animals during a voyage) A latest 6 months only
081.99 Prepared stock feeds and preparations of a kind used in animal feeding nes C from Apr 2001
112.3 Beer made from malt A,B Various
268.11 Wool, greasy shorn C from Apr 2007
268.21 Other wool degreased C from Apr 2007
268.29 Other wool carbonized C from Apr 2007
273.31 Silica and quartz sands C from Jul 1999
278.3 Salt A from Mar 2008
284.21 Nickel mattes A from Jul 1988
285.2 Alumina (aluminium oxide) B* from Jul 1988
286.1 Uranium ores B from May 1989
286.2 Thorium ores B from Nov 2002
287.83 Titanium ores and concentrates (eg rutile) A, B Quantity data released on a 6 month basis
287.84 Zirconium ores and concentrates A, B Various
287.85 Tantalum ores and concentrates A, B from Jul 2001
287.99 Base metal ores and concentrates nes A, B from Jul 2000
288.10 Slag, ash and residues ( specifically tantalum glass) B from Jan 2002

http://www.dfat.gov.au/publications/stats-pubs/confidentiality-in-australian-merchandise-export-statistics.pdf

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Like there seems to be really odd reasons to be on that list. eg. source country is suppressed for macadamia nuts. Why? Why does that matter? LPG apparently is always suppressed for individual country statistics and only overall world trade is shown.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ell oh ell

quote:

Crossbench Senator Bob Day has flagged plans for a private senators bill to revive a proposal for changes to the Racial Discrimination Act.

The Government this week dumped plans to lift the ban on offending, insulting or humiliating people on racial grounds, with Prime Minister Tony Abbott saying they were a "needless complication" in the Government's relationship with the Australian Muslim community.

But Senator Day says he will try to revive the proposal when Parliament resumes later this month, because he says free speech should be protected.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
That's why I asked here. Thanks for the prompt answer.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

That's why I asked here. Thanks for the prompt answer.

Yeah I don't understand the why's of it though. I'm not a master economist like JH

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is it alumina? According to that DFAT analysis the Russian Federation imported $534m of it in 2008, which is pretty close to the $530m on the list Cartoon posted.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So the failure of the 18C repeal is the Muslims fault.
Cool.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJJWZzyGyg

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

The Department of Defence declassified a bunch of its old planning documents a few years ago, and the ones from the late 40s / early 50s included sections describing the Germans and Japanese as "naturally aggressive races that need to be subjugated for all time". Nice to see Leahy's moved on from saying such outrageous statements by bounding the time frame for our ideological wars.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Incidentally Leahy was also appointed only a few days ago to a panel to conduct a "first principles review" of the defence organisation. Can't wait to see what he proposes to increase their Muslim-fighting efficiency.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Considering he phrased it as 'blood and treasure' I think his mindset is more Dark Ages then even fifty years ago.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

who else posted:

[World War 1 was] in one sense a tragic waste but it was for a good cause

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Most farmers probably wouldn't vote for them, it's the rednecks that infest country towns that are most likely to vote for the Nats.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Well of course the British Empire being able to steal all of Germany's African colonies was a good cause. :v:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
https://newmatilda.com/2014/08/09/excuse-me-sir-i-speak-brandish-transcript-hell

Brah mai ert an li andis posted:

Well when you when you when you go to a website ert ert mai commonly ert upurpur you will go from one web page to another li from one link to another to another wer within that website that’s not what we’re interested in.

A written transcript of the famous interview. It's wonderful.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Fark, what a bastard.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Wait Christopher Pyne seriously said that in order for women to not be denied educational opportunity vice chancellors should keep fees low for woman things like teaching and nursing.

And then tells Sarah ferguson to stop getting caught up on woman things when called out on the fact that gender income disparity occurs within professions not just between them.

Kill you self Pyne poo poo lorde

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 9, 2014

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Wait Christopher Pyne seriously said that in order for women to not be denied educational opportunity vice chancellors should keep fees low for woman things like teaching and nursing.

This is obviously a pile of sexist bullshit, but why would a university in a deregulated market have any incentive to charge less than they could get away with? It all makes me so furious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

And then tells Sarah ferguson to stop getting caught up on woman things when called out on the fact that gender income disparity occurs within professions not just between them.

Kill you self Pyne poo poo lorde

I think this is a bit of a stretch. Pyne is a poo poo lord but I'm pretty sure he was just saying it can't possibly disproportionately affect women and poor people because Vice Chancellors will price things fairly and not for maximum profit. It was absolutely a straw man dodge, implying that the big problem with it is that they will specifically set the fees higher for courses predominately taken by women or some poo poo but I don't think it was a Tony Abbott 'women stay in the kitchen' thing.

quote:

SARAH FERGUSON: However, do you accept that there is a hit in the way that you've set up the loan repayments that hurts women and poorer people more than it does high income earners? Do you accept that's the consequence?

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: No, absolutely not. And I don't accept it because what will happen at universities is that vice chancellors and their leadership teams will know that they should not charge and will not charge higher fees for courses which are typically going to be studied by people who'll be nurses and teachers and therefore not earn high incomes over a period of time. Now, women are well-represented amongst the teaching and nursing students. They will not be able to earn the high incomes that say dentists or lawyers will earn, and vice chancellors in framing their fees, their fee structure, will take that into account. Therefore the debts of teachers and nurses will be lower than the debts, for example, of lawyers and dentists.

SARAH FERGUSON: But what happens to a female lawyer or a female dentist who takes, say, 10 years out of from the workplace to raise a family? She will pay a great deal more for her degree than a man who has no children.

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: Well, Sarah, I feel like you're sort of caught up on this subject and the reforms, the higher education reforms are a great deal more than simply the deregulation of fees. So, while you're a bit caught up on one aspect of it, there are many very good aspects of this reform package which I think the Senate will find very attractive.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s4062352.htm

• Locked thread