Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wayland are slow and not exactly truthful about their current stock.

Numlock posted:

If they haven't already converted to Bolt Action (happened to a few groups in my area for various reasons) then you will have better luck selling halal pork.

Not a tact I feel like trying around Queenslanders.

Reading through a borrowed Eastern Front; Motor Rifle so far looks the most intriguing.

Anyone able to offer any experience of SMGs vs Rifle platoons?

And where a battlescribe repo might be found?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

No Pun Intended posted:

Has anyone used Wayland games? I am looking into getting the Great War box sets and using Wayland games saves me $20 over directly ordering from Battlefront themselves (they both ship from England anyways).

Their prices are good but don't be surprised if your poo poo takes a month to arrive.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Flippycunt posted:

Their prices are good but don't be surprised if your poo poo takes a month to arrive.

Make sure you check their stock carefully. If its in stock, it should be sent out in a day or two, if not, it could be months if they have to order in from a supplier.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

No Pun Intended posted:

Has anyone used Wayland games? I am looking into getting the Great War box sets and using Wayland games saves me $20 over directly ordering from Battlefront themselves (they both ship from England anyways).

gently caress Wayland Games. I've been using Firestorm exclusively for last couple of years following poo poo service from Wayland in the past but last weekend they had some good deals on Bushido minis so I ordered some. They were all in stock allegedly. Of course after 5 days no sign of them. Checked the order and it says waiting stock. They always pull that bullshit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Is Wayland going to end up like Maelstrom?

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

I've been trying to get into historicals in one way or another for years, and now that I have the money (and working as a high school history teacher as a excuse!) I'm ready to launch. I'm really curious about both Field of Glory and Black Powder (& Pike & Shotte), since they cover the 1600s-1900s era that's always been my favourite era of history. Field of Glory is also the only rule set I've found being played at clubs near me.

How do both go for historical feeling? I really love manoeuvre and using terrain, formations and psychology. All the battlefield detail sperg. I was wondering if someone could give me a nudge between them. Particularly for 28mm, since I'm too much of a klutz for smaller scale.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

No Pun Intended posted:

I am all the way down in New Zealand.

Does BF really ship to their home country from the UK? That seems odd.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Holy poo poo I'm painting WW2 Germans, I feel like a true historical gamer.

Crossposting from oath thread:

So two German rifle teams, a Sd. Kfz. 222 and a Panzer II. Should be a good starting point. We plan to try out Chain of Command on the 18th, and I love that it's a game where this is a realistic starting point instead of three times this number of models.

Question: I know nothing about WW2 on, say, a tactical level. Platoons, squads, infantry equipment, that stuff. I'm reading up about the German rifle teams, and is this sort of what they would be around 1940-1941?

1 leader with SMG (would he be an actual officer, and if so, would he be wearing a peaked cap?)
1 LMG "main dude"
1 LMG guy helper dude with pistol (would he be carrying anything else? Just loading ammo?)
1 LMG guy helper dude with rifle
6 schmoes with rifles

Because I think I missed the third LMG dude. Not a big deal, but I'm a complete fish out of water here.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 10, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

Holy poo poo I'm painting WW2 Germans, I feel like a true historical gamer.

Crossposting from oath thread:

So two German rifle teams, a Sd. Kfz. 222 and a Panzer II. Should be a good starting point. We plan to try out Chain of Command on the 18th, and I love that it's a game where this is a realistic starting point instead of three times this number of models.

Well it makes a lot of sense when you think about extrapolating the amount of space on a 6x4 table at 28mm. A lot of battles were fought by twenty dudes fighting over a couple acres of France.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I'm fairly sure 3rd LMG guy should have a rifle too

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Serotonin posted:

gently caress Wayland Games. I've been using Firestorm exclusively for last couple of years following poo poo service from Wayland in the past but last weekend they had some good deals on Bushido minis so I ordered some. They were all in stock allegedly. Of course after 5 days no sign of them. Checked the order and it says waiting stock. They always pull that bullshit.

In the interest of balance, my Wayland order turned up 2hrs after I made this post.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Speaking of online sites, where are people getting their 15mm soviets from lately? Extra points for Australian sites. I know combat company and milsims already.

Already know about Plastic Soldier company and definitely going to grab two of their summer soldier boxes.

Also, does anyone have any advice for what anti-tank fow mid-war soviets should take?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's also https://www.gamesempire.com.au not bought FoW from them before but other things I have ordered always arrived promptly

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Cassa posted:

Also, does anyone have any advice for what anti-tank fow mid-war soviets should take?

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you can short combat platoons in favor of loading up on support platoons. I often see guys posting Strelkovy lists with minimum points invested in the infantry then the rest of the points dumped into Heavy tanks and Tank destroyers. These are dumb, bad lists.

Similarly, don't take tons of small platoons as having fewer, but stronger platoons are always better (assuming you have at least 4). There are some exceptions to this, but that would take a lot more explaining.

Don't fear the Big Cat, in mid-war there will be very few of them so just swarm them and go for the sides. Tiger companies will be troublesome for Tankovy but just swarm them like anything else. Strelkovy laughs at them but fears the Italian menace (auto defend gun spam and MG Boat spam).

I've found the best way to play soviets (on the attack) is to be aggressive to a fault. Push forward and eliminate your opponents options for maneuver and force him into assaulting/getting assaulted ASAP. Outside of facing certain Italian/Romanian lists if you trade stand for stand, tank for tank then you win. On defense its sort of the same thing, defend as far forward of the objectives as you can, using your numbers to make it impossible to get to them without assaulting or slugging it out with your tanks first.

Similarly to the above, don't let your opponent (especially Germans) dance around and pick their battles. They will snipe company commanders then pick a soft spot to hit like a hammer and before you know it you have lost.

Mid-War for Tank AT I would just suggest running as many T-34's as possible. Guards KV-85's can also be good support for Strelkovy. The SU-122 is popular but I've never found room for them in any list I've ever made since they are only useful against infantry or thin skinned vehicles. Everything else is too expensive, too few, or just lovely IMHO.

Guns wise, just run as many Zis-3's as you can. Some platoons can swap out their Zis-3's for Zis-2's and those are nice but pricey.

The 45mm Obr 1934/1942 guns are still serviceable, but you may find that you need to position them well in order to get side shots at things.

Bigger AT guns (or AA Guns that happen to have high AT) are a waste of points, just get more Zis-3's if you have the points for them.

I'm personalty not a fan of soviet artillery (other than the 8 gun zis-3 platoon) since it's trained and to get the big guns you need to spend a poo poo-ton of points.

Remember, BE AGRESSIVE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cassa posted:

Speaking of online sites, where are people getting their 15mm soviets from lately? Extra points for Australian sites. I know combat company and milsims already.

Already know about Plastic Soldier company and definitely going to grab two of their summer soldier boxes.

I tend to use Command Decision and Quality Casting for Soviets. I dunno what their world wide shipping rates are but Warweb has treated me good in the past.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'll check them out!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and keep it in mind as I build up Motostrelkovy. So a core of something like?:

code:
		HQ 

2x Motostrelkovy companies
	2 motor rifle platoons

Machine-Gun Company
	2 platoons

2x Medium Tankovy Company
	5 T-34s

Artillery Battalion
	8x ZIS-3
Also some rocket artillery eventually because Katyusha's and Calliope's et al are some of my favourite WW2 units.

Could easily bump up to 3 platoons per company, too.

Just have to be sure of what point level is the main limit around here, the mate who's getting me into this said 1500, and I'm well under with that.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

You want 2 companies of 3 platoons each as a bare minimum, you really, really don't want to skimp on your infantry blobs.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Not 3 of 2? Totally new so curious as to reasons.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cassa posted:

Not 3 of 2? Totally new so curious as to reasons.

If you're doing a Red Army Moto you'll need those numbers since you've no smoke and you're hit on a 2+. If you bump them up to Guards status I'd say 3 of 2 would actually work fairly well, since Trained will help keep your casualties down and you'll hopefully still have enough for Quality of Quantity when you assault.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Serotonin posted:

I ended up using Firestorm games; thanks for the heads up.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Depending on the point level it may not be possible to run two full companies of Infantry, he should have at least one though no matter what.

Cassa posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and keep it in mind as I build up Motostrelkovy. So a core of something like?:

code:
		HQ 

2x Motostrelkovy companies
	2 motor rifle platoons

Machine-Gun Company
	2 platoons

2x Medium Tankovy Company
	5 T-34s

Artillery Battalion
	8x ZIS-3

No.

The 5 strong T-34 platoons are too weak, combine them into one 10 strong platoon.

Drop the MG company.

I would highly recommend running guards. A conscript Mech force attacking infantry is going to be tough, especially for a guy starting out.

I would also suggest running Strelkovy instead of Moto-Strelk. Go for the pioneer HQ Squad and maybe the AT guns as well. These boost your numbers and add AT to your platoons.

As you are probably noticing, while soviets have lots of options and everything is cheap, they get expensive (points wise) very quick because of the huge platoon/company sizes. Don't shortchange companies!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Ah right right right.

I may move from Moto-Strelk thanks to this advice, much as I love mechanized forces they're not really doable in the period, certainly not as I'm starting out.

I'll definitely bump up to guards and look into more tanks.

I added the mg platoons because I thought they'd be decent anti-groups, or is that better accomplished with real artillery/mortars?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

When I started, I went all infantry, and then later went all tank, and in the end I've found that a mix is really the key. I run motostrelkovy for that reason.

Infantry, once dug in, are nearly impossible to root out with anything other than infantry. But you need firepower too which is why having a bunch of armor is useful.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cassa posted:

Wayland are slow and not exactly truthful about their current stock.

Serotonin posted:

I've ordered stuff from them that was marked as "In Stock 5+" on their site, but which then had to be split into multiple orders because it apparently wasn't entirely true. Took six months for a blister to turn up out of that order. Everything does eventually turn up though. Serotonin is in the UK, and I'm in Ireland. It's not just a distance thing.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

When I started, I went all infantry, and then later went all tank, and in the end I've found that a mix is really the key. I run motostrelkovy for that reason.

Infantry, once dug in, are nearly impossible to root out with anything other than infantry. But you need firepower too which is why having a bunch of armor is useful.

I see. Combined arms sure seems like the way to go.

Holy poo poo though, two lots of guard three company rifle platoons and a single 10 t-34 company is 1500 already.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do you like Chain of Command? Do you like big games? Do you like juvenile innuendo?

Get ready for Big CoC! A free Chain of Command expansion!

It covers multiple platoons for 3+ player games, and introduces units of armored (sorry, armoured) fighting vehicals. Can't wait to get this on the table!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Who doesn't love a big CoC?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I love juvenile innuendo and I love CoC

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Any historigoons going to GenCon? I'd like to get some Bolt Action in but if you have something else I can try it . I'd prefer skirmish stuff as opposed to 4 hour Flames of War games

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Crossposting my Germans:

Beep beep I'm a Leichter Panzerspähwagen!

Now I just need five more armoured cars and I have the cutest recon platoon. :3:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

muggins posted:

...4 hour Flames of War games

Jesus Christ are you playing with 5,000 point armies or something?

A Normal game of FoW should take half that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I don't know if anyone here will care, but if any part of SA will, it's this part:

Intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO81x71xaqk

Event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOrjGT_u418

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Actually, you just reminded me of the name of that game what with the initiative rules that are great that I've been trying to remember for ten years or so now. Thanks! Also Lindybeige is fun to listen to once in a while.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Crossposting my Germans:

Beep beep I'm a Leichter Panzerspähwagen!

Now I just need five more armoured cars and I have the cutest recon platoon. :3:

Is that a 1:72nd Sd.Kfz. 222? It looks nicer than my 1:35th one :(

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Crossfire sounds interesting and I love reading about worldwide campaigns.

Got a demo game of FoW the other day, just partial starter set stuff to get an overview of rules. I dig it.

Not diggable was my mate telling me how yes, he was going to model after a specific division, an SS one. But it's ok because the frontline SS divisions weren't all bad...

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cassa posted:

Crossfire sounds interesting and I love reading about worldwide campaigns.

Got a demo game of FoW the other day, just partial starter set stuff to get an overview of rules. I dig it.

Not diggable was my mate telling me how yes, he was going to model after a specific division, an SS one. But it's ok because the frontline SS divisions weren't all bad...

And thus, one of the two things that is still keeping me out of historical tabletop games: my overwhelming hatred of Nazis and Nazi apologists. Modeling after an SS Division because of how they were equipped and the battles they fought? Okay, fine, whatever, as long as it's accepted that they were the goddamned SS and about as irredeemable as it gets. The instant someone starts apologizing for them,or saying poo poo like 'they weren't all bad', then someone needs the stupid smacked out of them.

The other thing that keeps me out of tabletop wargaming is being bloody well broke

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is that a 1:72nd Sd.Kfz. 222? It looks nicer than my 1:35th one :(

1:48, to go with 28mm chain of command. lovely iphone picture helps hide mistakes. ;)

Numlock
May 19, 2007

*quickly throws blanket over 15mm diorama of auschwitz*

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MohawkSatan posted:

And thus, one of the two things that is still keeping me out of historical tabletop games: my overwhelming hatred of Nazis and Nazi apologists. Modeling after an SS Division because of how they were equipped and the battles they fought? Okay, fine, whatever, as long as it's accepted that they were the goddamned SS and about as irredeemable as it gets. The instant someone starts apologizing for them,or saying poo poo like 'they weren't all bad', then someone needs the stupid smacked out of them.

The other thing that keeps me out of tabletop wargaming is being bloody well broke
It's totally legitimate to feel that way and thus never play a WWII game. On the other hand, there are lots of other fun wars to chose from. With the SS specifically it's all period-contextual. If you're talking post D-day which most people in FoW seem to game then there's a pretty solid chance that SS units were staffed by whoever the OiC happened to find on the way to the front with his cadre of hardcore nazis. Then it's a choice between being in the SS now or getting shot by your own dudes on the way back to GrenadierRegiment XYZ/home. At the scale the game is played you're probably never going to find a unit that didn't have a couple of those hardcore dicks though, SS or otherwise. Unfortunately BF seems to go with the popular version of WWII and the SS units are also the most badass because game of the movie of the war etc. Bolt Action/CoC etc are an entirely different though, what with the comparatively teeny scale. You can likely find ten or twenty dudes who just want to go home and not get eaten by the Russians. Or just play a minor Axis power, or Japan or whatever. Alternatively get better friends if they suddenly all out themselves as racists via tiny mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

On the opposite side, I got roped into painting up Germans since a local player wanted something to beat with his Russians. I'm planning to keep at doing regular army dudes and not SS concentration camp guard units, though.