Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smafrolessman
Jan 2, 2007
Just fast traveled to King's Gate -> Far Fire and was invaded by a red phantom named Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Dressed in all of the butterfly armor and carrying a mortar/chain gun of toxis balls. (edit: machine gun fired toxic balls that destroyed armor)

Cosplaying an rear end in a top hat without using invincibility.

smafrolessman fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008

smafrolessman posted:

Just fast traveled to King's Gate -> Far Fire and was invaded by a red phantom named Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Dressed in all of the butterfly armor and carrying a mortar/chain gun of toxis balls. (edit: machine gun fired toxic balls that destroyed armor)

Cosplaying an rear end in a top hat without using invincibility.

Did you gut him? Been getting an awful lot of those jerks lately, though they have all been invincible.

smafrolessman
Jan 2, 2007

Cainer posted:

Did you gut him? Been getting an awful lot of those jerks lately, though they have all been invincible.

I actually killed him with a few stabs of my Dark Silverback Spear +10. Crazier because I saw the TOXIC! message and all of the projectiles, yet I was able to damage him. This is my first cheater/file changer in now... 100 hours of PC DS2

Realized 'toxic' doesn't destroy armor, but nonetheless I encountered this :)

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Come to think of it, a crossbow-ish weapon that used throwing items as ammo but launched them super far and fast would be a neat gimmick tool.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Imagine if you could fire prism stones and wood carvings across a map.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Nikolaos posted:

Edit again: And then I invaded the same afk guy three times in a row. Do invasion cooldowns not count for blue invasions?
There's pretty much no cooldown if you're at wretch status. B-team hates invaders.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Nahxela posted:

Imagine if you could fire prism stones and wood carvings across a map.

If they do damage, even only a small amount, then absolutely perfect.

*WHAM* YOU DIED

"I'm sorry!"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Naturally, the one time I start a new character to be based around only two-handing 1H weapons and wearing light armor for RoB + Flynn's is the time every enemy drops all its rarest poo poo. :darksouls:

Question on that. I've been using an upgraded Shortsword for the stamina and a Mace for when things need a Mace (you know how that is). I like the stamina efficiency of the Shortsword but it definitely has a noticeable range disadvantage compared to a Longsword, especially on the poke, and the 2H moveset is identical so it'd only have the edge if I were doing 1H and I pretty much never am. At what point should I swap over to the Longsword? I guess when I have enough stamina to do the same number of attacks in one bar with the Longsword?

At the moment I'm 12/12 in STR/DEX because I'm planning to jack up my VGR/END/ADP to comfortable levels before raising STR any more, so I don't expect my damage stats to change much. Also, would there be any particular advantage to Raw on either the Short/Longsword? I'm pretty sure even at 12 STR a Mace is better off uninfused, but not sure about the swords.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

White Phosphorus posted:

I've been experiencing two-handing funkiness for the past month probably. If I two hand a weapon and just stand around with it doing nothing, my character will go back to one-handed for no reason. I don't think it has been a problem in actual fights yet, but it is kind of annoying.

Also, it appears that Two-handed red-iron twinbalde's strong attack can be reaction parried by a rapier. That fancy spinning that the blade does is just windup and doesn't actually damage you.

Dunno if anyone else got this, but check your keybinds and try to remove any redundant commands. I had a problem for the longest time with ctrl+whatever commands switching poo poo around despite me never pressing ctrl for anything, as well as the aforementioned two-hand to one-hand thing, so I imagine there's some funkiness going on behind the scenes with those keybinds. Clearing out all my redundant commands stopped all the problems I was having.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Buckler and Target Shield. But they're not necessarily better than small shields; they have more parry frames but also more startup frames which can make them tougher to use. Also makes doing setup parries (where you block a number of hits then parry the next) more difficult.

The Phoenix Parma and Manikin Shield also have special parries. Of all the special parry shields, the Manikin Shield is arguably the best due to its low weight and comparatively high defensive stats.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nakar posted:

Naturally, the one time I start a new character to be based around only two-handing 1H weapons and wearing light armor for RoB + Flynn's is the time every enemy drops all its rarest poo poo. :darksouls:

Question on that. I've been using an upgraded Shortsword for the stamina and a Mace for when things need a Mace (you know how that is). I like the stamina efficiency of the Shortsword but it definitely has a noticeable range disadvantage compared to a Longsword, especially on the poke, and the 2H moveset is identical so it'd only have the edge if I were doing 1H and I pretty much never am. At what point should I swap over to the Longsword? I guess when I have enough stamina to do the same number of attacks in one bar with the Longsword?

At the moment I'm 12/12 in STR/DEX because I'm planning to jack up my VGR/END/ADP to comfortable levels before raising STR any more, so I don't expect my damage stats to change much. Also, would there be any particular advantage to Raw on either the Short/Longsword? I'm pretty sure even at 12 STR a Mace is better off uninfused, but not sure about the swords.

Straight swords have a kind of sucky 2hand moveset but I guess the long/shortsword stab is pretty great. I'd go for the longsword personally for the extra damage and range. Raw will definitely not be worth it since your effective strength is doubled if you're 2handing it all the time.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Why is it people are allowed to poise through the last hit of Ricard's R2 attack? The startup on it is so slow, at least make it so I don't get punished on hit.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, while the Engraved Gauntlets is RNG it can lead to some pretty crazy attacks. I just did 1700 damage with an Espada Ropera one-hand R1 :magical:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm sick of all these goddamn hackers :( I summoned a red spirit thinking they were also into unarmed fighting but nope, just another rear end in a top hat with an invisible Monastery Scimitar and Shadow Dagger.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

I'm sick of all these goddamn hackers :( I summoned a red spirit thinking they were also into unarmed fighting but nope, just another rear end in a top hat with an invisible Monastery Scimitar and Shadow Dagger.

...you do realize there are two rings that can hide your weapons right?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

...you do realize there are two rings that can hide your weapons right?

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Let's be serious, none of these assholes got them legitimately, especially not in the early millions of SM.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Meatsicle posted:

There's pretty much no cooldown if you're at wretch status. B-team hates invaders.

You can't get Wretch status without actively aiming for it, so that strikes me as a weird complaint.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Let's be serious, none of these assholes got them legitimately, especially not in the early millions of SM.

...why people can't be good at this game?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm curious, Carhillion is supposed to talk to the player if you have 8 intelligence but he won't speak to me, do you actually need more than 8 (as in 9 and higher)?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lordfrikk posted:

I'm curious, Carhillion is supposed to talk to the player if you have 8 intelligence but he won't speak to me, do you actually need more than 8 (as in 9 and higher)?

8 not including any Int boosts. You can't cheat the value.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Tae posted:

8 not including any Int boosts. You can't cheat the value.

Thanks, I stripped everything just to make sure and found it. I thought I didn't have any intelligence boosting equipment but apparently the Dark Mask increases intelligence by 1, although it's not mentioned in the description.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My main source of death in CoC runs is forgetting about the inability to sprint after running out of stamina. I've fallen down so many pits it's unbelievable.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

...why people can't be good at this game?

There's absolutely no way so many people got BOTH illusory rings in NG, and their soul memory is flat-out too low to have cleared NG+ yet. Also, Havel/Smelter gear with daggers and Monastery Scimitars? It's painfully obvious they're just cheating in the best items to win at duels.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's hot bullshit, "being good at the game" and "being good enough and dedicated enough at the game to get both illusory rings on a single run" are pretty different things. Anybody who believes the majority of the people using those rings got them legitimately probably also thinks the internet is full of Navy SEALS.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Listen this is just my opinion, but as long as someone doesn't hack themselves the ability to float in the sky and have infinite life, I could give a gently caress what they give themselves as long as it technically exists.

I mean someone spent 10 bux on Genocyber just because he hacked himself weapons that are neither OP and would be out in less than a week. The people in Dark Souls threads are way too crazy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Geno's also an insufferable twat about stuff like that, so.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Listen this is just my opinion, but as long as someone doesn't hack themselves the ability to float in the sky and have infinite life, I could give a gently caress what they give themselves as long as it technically exists.

I mean someone spent 10 bux on Genocyber just because he hacked himself weapons that are neither OP and would be out in less than a week. The people in Dark Souls threads are way too crazy.

Totally, as long as we don't also pretend it isn't pathetic and weird to cheat in items that you'll be buying and be able to acquire normally in 3-4 days because you just can't wait

Everyone is a nerd and a weiner.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Geno's also an insufferable twat about stuff like that, so.

If I start posting like poo poo will people buy me nice things? :v:

I'm kind of the same as Phenominal Baby, I don't give a poo poo how you got what you got as long as you could have gotten it legitimately if you'd put the effort in. How do you know you're not dealing with the end result of some challenge run that took months to finish?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RabidWeasel posted:

Straight swords have a kind of sucky 2hand moveset but I guess the long/shortsword stab is pretty great. I'd go for the longsword personally for the extra damage and range. Raw will definitely not be worth it since your effective strength is doubled if you're 2handing it all the time.
What's wrong with the Longsword's 2H moveset? It's got a nice slash, a nice thrust, and decent running/rolling attacks. And it's stamina-efficient.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nikolaos posted:

If I start posting like poo poo will people buy me nice things? :v:

I'm kind of the same as Phenominal Baby, I don't give a poo poo how you got what you got as long as you could have gotten it legitimately if you'd put the effort in. How do you know you're not dealing with the end result of some challenge run that took months to finish?

Usually challenge runs that take months don't result in you pissing all over everyone in the lowest level SM brackets.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

You can't get Wretch status without actively aiming for it, so that strikes me as a weird complaint.

All you need is 100 invasion wins. That's not very much.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Nakar posted:

What's wrong with the Longsword's 2H moveset? It's got a nice slash, a nice thrust, and decent running/rolling attacks. And it's stamina-efficient.

It's possible that I'm remembering wrong and the Longsword and Broadsword have more differences between their movesets than I remember but the running attack and R1s are both slow considering how good the 1hand ones are. It's not bad, but I just feel like if you're going to use a weapon with the specific intent of only 2handing it then the katanas are basically a straight upgrade.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Meatsicle posted:

All you need is 100 invasion wins. That's not very much.

So to get constantly invaded you have to constantly invade. Seems justified to me? :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Hey let's farm for the Heide Knight stuff now that we're in NG+ :v:"

20 Ascetics later..

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

There's absolutely no way so many people got BOTH illusory rings in NG, and their soul memory is flat-out too low to have cleared NG+ yet. Also, Havel/Smelter gear with daggers and Monastery Scimitars? It's painfully obvious they're just cheating in the best items to win at duels.

If you were gonna get those rings on NG you'd be a lot lower in SM because you'd skip most fights. And you'd never lose souls because you'd never die. :v: No need to take an unnecessary risk when going for a no death run. Havel/Smelter gear is easy to come by, you're straight up give a dagger in the tutorial. Maybe the Monastery Scimitar is suspect if they all have them but as to the rest, I don't see how any of that is evidence of cheating.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've killed most of the convenient Alonne Knights to the point of permanent death, while wearing all the +item find gear, and still no Blacksteel Katana. Tons of Alonne Knight leggings and helms tho!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Annath posted:

I've killed most of the convenient Alonne Knights to the point of permanent death, while wearing all the +item find gear, and still no Blacksteel Katana. Tons of Alonne Knight leggings and helms tho!
What's your SM, I'm pretty sure I have a spare on a "just finished the dlc" NG character.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

So to get constantly invaded you have to constantly invade. Seems justified to me? :v:
It's just another mechanic meant to deter/punish people for invading. Even though I'm "constantly" invading, I'm not invading the same person constantly. I like being invaded, but having no cooldown and getting non-stop arbiter invasions does get old.

Anyway, my point was that if you look at the sum of changes made to pvp/invasion mechanics, it's pretty clear that B-team doesn't like invaders.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

It's just another mechanic meant to deter/punish people for invading. Even though I'm "constantly" invading, I'm not invading the same person constantly. I like being invaded, but having no cooldown and getting non-stop arbiter invasions does get old.

Anyway, my point was that if you look at the sum of changes made to pvp/invasion mechanics, it's pretty clear that B-team doesn't like invaders.

I think that other than not having any way to get the reusable eye orbs (which is awful) invasions are fine in DS2. DS1 was fairly biased the other way under most circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Meatsicle posted:

it's pretty clear that B-team doesn't like invaders.

Sure, if you assume getting invaded sucks for the host. I personally really like getting invaded during normal gameplay, as long as the odds aren't horribly stacked against me, which doesn't really happen in DS2. I personally feel like getting bluecop invasions for being a sinner is more like a reward than a punishment. Killing off an invader also feels much better than winning a duel or killing a host.