Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Nearly 300 posts that consist of nothing but bitching about 4chan.
Congrats guys, you stared into the abyss, now its staring back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I just wish Uranium showed up in the first two sectors. That would fix a lot of my problems, even if it was as rare as diamonds.

Smelting together fuel rods and rare metal to make a better reactor in your ship would be rad.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

I just wish Uranium showed up in the first two sectors. That would fix a lot of my problems, even if it was as rare as diamonds.

There's Uranium up in the asteroid belt above the planet. Bring fireplaces, lots of fire places.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JonusRockweller posted:

There's Uranium up in the asteroid belt above the planet. Bring fireplaces, lots of fire places.

How far above a planet do you go to find the belt? I tried on a small world once and gave up after building up for half an hour or so. Free falling from the top took awhile to hit the ground and 2/3 of the height required fires to keep from freezing to death.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
It's once you start immediately freezing your rear end off that you've reached the asteroid belt area. You'll have to make plenty of platforms with fireplaces in order to keep going up higher, if you look around or zoom out you might see an asteroid or two to finally get a foot hold onto, careful there are still birds up there. I went up there with a small group of friends once as a challenge, also because we were new to the game and assumed it was the only way to get uranium, and that uranium was extremely more potent. Oh how we were wrong.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

It's pretty dang high up. That's the best part though, you can build a space station up there and it doesn't feel like you are 10 feet from the planet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Now that (apparently) you do not need a mod for trees and plants to properly grow, it is literally faster to just set up a tree farm and burn it into coal than it is to dig an orbit through a soft lower layer of an entire (small) planet.

"Oh hey, fancy space fuel ores show up at this tier. And tar biomes are easy to diamond drill through!" LATER! "I got 23 uranium and enough diamonds to build a castle out of it."

EDIT: being able to grow trees (I like space log cabins :downs:), and burn wood for coal even at a 10 wood per 1 coal ration was such a huge QOL improvement. Even if I needed a mod to get things to actually grow at the time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 9, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stuff like Uranium could be used for energy weapons or to upgrade the drive so you travel to new locations faster, or have it required to jump to certain sectors.

I'd really like something like this. Fuel isn't that much of a concern, but I feel like I should be able to do something really stupid and fun with Uranium Rods.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
No, really, seriously, how do I get the Nightly Build working. X.x

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sperglord Firecock posted:

No, really, seriously, how do I get the Nightly Build working. X.x
Delete/back up your Player, Universe, and config file.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I haven't played the game since the beginning of the year, so I decided to reinstall it and check out the nightly.

As far as I can tell it's basically unplayable. I don't see the point of playing it in this state and I think I'll shelf this for another 6 to 9 months.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Woooooo! I'm glad I started that discussion right back up. That made for some good post-bar readings.

E: to clarify, I am a bartender. I'm not drunkposting.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 9, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Rotten Cookies posted:

Woooooo! I'm glad I started that discussion right back up. That made for some good post-bar readings.

E: to clarify, I am a bartender. I'm not drunkposting.

you're sober after a shift? doesn't sound like any bartender i work with.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You're sober after reading this thread??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arkanomen posted:

Starbound development funds being used on other games is another violation of trust between investor/investee. I'm sure I could dig up more but they will be dismissed.

Uhhhh...

Do you know how videogames work?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Uhhhh...

Well, I don't know about them. But it took me AGES to work out that the tiny little switches on the back of my Atari by where you plug the controllers in were for difficulty settings and controls options and stuff :downs: Cool, now I can control how high and far the frog jumps instead of him jumping the same distance every time in Frogs and Flies! :neckbeard: ...Why don't I have a Nintendo yet? Because shut up :saddowns:

Anyways, what do people think is the coolest thing they have seen in Nightly Land that they figure is here to stay, give or take some bugfixes? Gonna start reading through some of these nightly notes to see if anything attracts my attention enough to try if finally.

EDIT: Nightly note say Mining tools can no longer mine more than one above their tier? That kind of sucks for my perpetual across every character I ever made "I've found 300-500 Iron, about a hundred gold and silver, but still only 12 copper so I can't make a new pickaxe." luck no matter how many times people told me they fixed ore distribution :saddowns: I liked that you weren't locked out of half of everything you see in the ground just because you didn't RNG your way to the 'correct' ore enough first (Or, RNG your way to a frog merchant to straight up buy a gold pick now) and that it just took more time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 9, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

OwlFancier posted:

Uhhhh...

He doesn't, stop paying attention to him.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I don't know about you but when I preorder the next Battlefield I'd be loving livid if I knew that money was being spent on the development of the Sims. I want to be able to trace every dollar through EA's bank accounts straight through to the game I bought. After all, that's how buying things works, every cent you spend directly covers the cost of the product and it is immoral for any of that money to go anywhere else. What's next? Buying a can of coke and not having every cent go towards the manufacture of the refreshing beverage that gets handed to you?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Chalks posted:

I don't know about you but when I preorder the next Battlefield I'd be loving livid if I knew that money was being spent on the development of the Sims. I want to be able to trace every dollar through EA's bank accounts straight through to the game I bought. After all, that's how buying things works, every cent you spend directly covers the cost of the product and it is immoral for any of that money to go anywhere else. What's next? Buying a can of coke and not having every cent go towards the manufacture of the refreshing beverage that gets handed to you?

You're right! Let me finish up this fanfic were someone rapes the head of Coca Cola.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

“It’s a mix of diablo, metroid, castlevania, terraria, pokemon + some new stuff no one has ever done before”, said Tiyuri to an eager fan, whetting their appetite. We had a quick chat with Tiyuri who then added “maybe borderlands too”.

Still the funniest line about Starbound said pre-release.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Still the funniest line about Starbound said pre-release.

I mean, so far all of that but 'stuff no one has done before' is true, really.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The guns are one aspect I'm pretty disappointed about so far. For all the weird and wacky things they can do, all the ways they could be potentially randomized, it seems more that we get hundreds of unremarkable plain old guns with slightly varied stats, and then like five "unique" guns that do pre-set weird things.
Why not just throw open the floodgates and allow all the random poo poo we already know they can do? Full randomize instead of locking down the special traits to a few guns. Same thing with melee weapons, really, there's a slew of mundane weapons and then the bubble/electric/bone swords that are premade. Just mix that poo poo up and go wild like I thought the whole point was in the first place.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

dog kisser posted:

I mean, so far all of that but 'stuff no one has done before' is true, really.

I can see the Terraria part but what about the rest.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

I can see the Terraria part but what about the rest.

Monster taming and battling is kinda like side scrolling Pokemon.

Collecting powerups is kinda like Metroid but I think the progression gating based on gear/powerups isn't quite in yet so right now we just have a bunch of toys to play with from that. A lot of this stuff also goes into making it feel a bit like Castlevania, mostly in the dungeon exploration but also in the abilities and in the (new) combat system.

Building/crafting is like Terraria.

Diablo I am not sure.

The gun system is almost directly lifted from Borderlands, it needs a lot of fiddling though.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Monster taming and battling is kinda like side scrolling Pokemon.

Collecting powerups is kinda like Metroid but I think the progression gating based on gear/powerups isn't quite in yet so right now we just have a bunch of toys to play with from that. A lot of this stuff also goes into making it feel a bit like Castlevania, mostly in the dungeon exploration but also in the abilities and in the (new) combat system.

Building/crafting is like Terraria.

Diablo I am not sure.

The gun system is almost directly lifted from Borderlands, it needs a lot of fiddling though.

He may be talking about randomized loot when referring to Diablo as well, since Borderlands basically lifted that feature from the Diablo games and applied it to guns. Maybe they're eventually going to do random stats on melee as well.

VVVV: Holy loving rear end crackers you're a self righteous idiot. Please stop.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 9, 2014

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Shoehead posted:

Don't you have a steam forum to lock down and people to ban?

Money was given to chucklefish for Starbound Development, not to chucklefish for chucklefish development. That's what the money was given for. Office expansion, new hiring, promotion etc. is fine. Calling the remainder of KS funds after development profit is dubiously okay. Direct profits from sales are profits and that is theirs. Using the money on other projects when you haven't provided all the promised returns is morally shady. Only now, after 7 months, are we hoping to see a stable, playable update. When will Tyi own up to loving up the development, acting shady towards backers, rescind his "no-criticism Bioware-forums" policy, and open up the design process comepltetly. Only then can real criticism and suggestions get into to the process and make starbound not a generic, half implemented sandbox game that it was advertised as.

E: or he goes full Phil Fish or the whole thing goes down like Sw:tor

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 9, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Arkanomen posted:

Money was given to chucklefish for Starbound Development, not to chucklefish for chucklefish development. That's what the money was given for. Office expansion, new hiring, promotion etc. is fine. Calling the remainder of KS funds after development profit is dubiously okay. Direct profits from sales are profits and that is theirs. Using the money on other projects when you haven't provided all the promised returns is morally shady. Only now, after 7 months, are we hoping to see a stable, playable update. When will Tyi own up to loving up the development, acting shady towards backers, rescind his "no-criticism Bioware-forums" policy, and open up the design process comepltetly. Only then can real criticism and suggestions get into to the process and make starbound not a generic, half implemented sandbox game that it was advertised as.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh. How can you still be talking about this? It's been two days. Just, like, go do something else.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*a sad man weeps while playing a somber trombone*

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

The guns are one aspect I'm pretty disappointed about so far. For all the weird and wacky things they can do, all the ways they could be potentially randomized, it seems more that we get hundreds of unremarkable plain old guns with slightly varied stats, and then like five "unique" guns that do pre-set weird things.
Why not just throw open the floodgates and allow all the random poo poo we already know they can do? Full randomize instead of locking down the special traits to a few guns. Same thing with melee weapons, really, there's a slew of mundane weapons and then the bubble/electric/bone swords that are premade. Just mix that poo poo up and go wild like I thought the whole point was in the first place.

Well, the devs haven't really been focusing on content fluff for a while. This would include a bunch of projectiles. It's mostly been about getting foundations / systems in place.

Have you seen Dog Kisser's AKA Djinn's Peglaci mod? And the guns he made? Due to some changes we've gotten it is now possible to make randomly generated guns with charge shot effects. This basically means randomly generated bows, weapons with alt fires, heavy weapons, ect are all possible now. And they added .lua scripting on objects now, so basically anything is possible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arkanomen posted:

Erm, I hate to break it to you but when you buy a game you aren't investing in a company, you're paying for a good/service. What the company does with the money is entirely at their discretion. Further, kickstarter money above the stated project goal is, to my knowledge, also entirely at the discretion of the company as to what they do with it.

The primary function of a game development studio is to perpetuate itself, and keep its employees employed, as is the case with any responsible business. Planning ahead for more games down the line is good practice and common to most studios I know of, and small scale indie publishing has proven a successful business model for many, so it would make sense to branch out into that, especially if you are a team of developers who can personally assess the quality and likelihood of success of any projects you publish.

Or do you seriously expect the company to operate like a charity because you bought their game?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So when can I mod in a projectile type that does heals/buffs? Will I be able to make a projectile that alters gravity for that creature for a few seconds so I can, say, make them fly up in the air for a bit and they come crashing down and go splat? How about a pacifier gun? It keeps any creature or NPC from being hostile for a couple seconds. Or a rage gun that does the opposite and makes creatures attack the closest thing?

I have dreams, man.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
loving hell this poo poo is retarded.

Tiy & crew please just take the money and run.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OwlFancier posted:

Erm, I hate to break it to you but when you buy a game you aren't investing in a company, you're paying for a good/service. What the company does with the money is entirely at their discretion. Further, kickstarter money above the stated project goal is, to my knowledge, also entirely at the discretion of the company as to what they do with it.

The primary function of a game development studio is to perpetuate itself, and keep its employees employed, as is the case with any responsible business. Planning ahead for more games down the line is good practice and common to most studios I know of, and small scale indie publishing has proven a successful business model for many, so it would make sense to branch out into that, especially if you are a team of developers who can personally assess the quality and likelihood of success of any projects you publish.

Or do you seriously expect the company to operate like a charity because you bought their game?

Also, they didn't Kickstart the game. They did their own thing. (A thing similar to a Kickstarter, I suppose, but on their site and such.) Paying more money got you more stuff in the game (like statues of yourself and such, or just more copies of the game), and total funding goals got us things like the Novakids. There was never any promise of 100% of the money going into the game, and anyone who claims there was is lying. Or has no idea how businesses function.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 9, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Also, they didn't Kickstart the game. They did their own thing. (A thing similar to a Kickstarter, I suppose, but on their site and such.) Paying more money got you more stuff in the game (like statues of your and such, or just more copies of the game), and total funding goals got us things like the Novakids. There was never any promise of 100% of the money going into the game, and anyone who claims there was is lying. Or has no idea how businesses function.

Then that's even less defensible.

A business gets to decide what it wants to do with its own resources, unless it has a contractual or other legal obligation to the contrary, such as if it's publicly traded or whatever. If you throw money at a company that doesn't mean they are going to magically do what you think they should with it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rotten Cookies posted:

So when can I mod in a projectile type that does heals/buffs?
Yes please.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah a presale isn't a kickstarter.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Yo goons go clear your Starbound palette with the genius rhymes and lyrics the community shares here:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/starbound-rhyme-poem-thread.73264/

Put your own into the pot too

Best Regards,
RG

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
So, is he not allowed to be worried that the product he paid for might not actually come out?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ahundredbux posted:

So, is he not allowed to be worried that the product he paid for might not actually come out?

Nope. Now shut up.

Anyone have a good list of compatible mods to install? All this drama gave me an itch to play again and I think I want to just mod the thing up to the gills and go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Saxophone posted:

Nope. Now shut up.

Anyone have a good list of compatible mods to install? All this drama gave me an itch to play again and I think I want to just mod the thing up to the gills and go.

That's literally bait and switch. Oh and all the good mods are dead like the Gun Mod or the Expanded Biome Mod.

OwlFancier posted:

Then that's even less defensible.

A business gets to decide what it wants to do with its own resources, unless it has a contractual or other legal obligation to the contrary, such as if it's publicly traded or whatever. If you throw money at a company that doesn't mean they are going to magically do what you think they should with it.

There was no contract yeah so they are free to do what they want, still doesn't make it any less of a douchebag move and the only counterforce to that is a vocal community. In the end it's fine, they've generated enough bad PR to gently caress theselves long term.

Shoehead posted:

Yeah a presale isn't a kickstarter.

Preorder Starbound Page posted:

Thank you for supporting us! Your purchase will go directly towards the development of the game and help us to get it finished sooner. You'll receive immediate access to the Starbound beta on Steam Early access, a digital copy of the game's soundtrack and, when available, a non-Steam DRM-free copy of Starbound.

Seems pretty direct that all money given shpuld go to starbound dev. But why not blow it all by moving to London for ??? reason? Tax reasons? Regardless you cannot deny Chucklefish has been acting in bad faith and that is every reason to be on them and vocal if there is any chance of not getting a rushed 1.0 peice of crap game.

• Locked thread