Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Do you all have any preferences between the various different looper pedals you can get? I was thinking of getting an Akai Head Rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
^ I have an Akai Headrush, Vox Lil Looper, Ditto, and Ditto X2.

I got the Headrush first, and loved it until it started flaking out on me (would randomly stop playing and dump all my recorded loops). Akai has (on their support forums) acknowledged it as a problem in the circuit that several other people have experienced, but have pretty much said I'd have to find an authorized repair place to (pay to) get it fixed. The delay mode is pretty awesome on the Headrush too, but the flakiness and lovely support pretty much soured it for me.

The Lil Looper is cool in that you can record two separate, synched loops independently. It's also got a bunch of built in effect (of which a few are actually pretty cool). The effects are both selected and adjusted by the same knob, which is pretty annoying, and you can't easily toggle them on/off or change them without bending down and using your hands (or an optional footswitch). Same for clearing out loops and changing loop modes, which is kind of a drag. The two switches each controlling their own loop means you have to do the whole tap tap doubletap dance to start/stop/record/etc. Honestly, if it had some XLR ins/outs and a slightly better switching scheme, I'd like the Lil Looper a lot, but it's proven a little too cumbersome for me to bother with.

Next I picked up a Ditto, which is loving rad. It's almost silly how tiny it is - awesome for fitting onto a pedalboard (and I do recommend velcroing it down to help keep it from getting knocked over). It's really simple to use, but only having one footswitch, you need to get used to double tapping to stop, which takes a little practice to get the timing right on. It quantizes to your original loop, so you can start tapping to stop a little early and it works better. Once you get used to the tapping scheme it's awesome.

Finally, I recently picked up the Ditto X2, which does everything the original does, but also has a 2nd switch that you can use either as dedicated start/stop switch (which takes care of the tap dancing issue), or to activate either a 1/2 speed or reverse effect. It also has stereo ins/outs if you're into that kind of thing, and can run on batteries as well.

tl/dr: I'd recommend one of the Dittos.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Thanks, Johnny. I'll check out the DittoX2. TC Electronic is a pretty solid company, right?

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Brony Car, TC Electronics is a very solid company. I would avoid the Akai Headrush because it has the habit of dropping your loops while you are playing with them, very inconvenient for live application. Their customer service is nonexistent so if this happens to you frequently you are on your own. The built in Echo and Delay are great but not worth it considering how huge the pedal itself is, you can do better with a delay/echo with a smaller unit. I have to recommend you steer clear of the Headrush for these reasons....Hope this helps.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is the EHX loop pedal worth the price? If a pedal won't sync to midi clock then it's worthless for my purposes

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Looking for a rack compressor..

Current choice: DBX 166x
Any reason not to when it's ~$100?
I'll likely pick up a RNC Compressor sometime in the near future as well.

In the future I'd love to see what a tube compressor can do, but I'm just looking for something cheap to tame a multi channel live mix and give some punch / side chain..

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I've been chasing down a weird buzz from my pedalboard for quite a while now and learned something interesting today.

Don't use the 'bicycle link' trick to secure a ProCo RAT to your metal pedalboard when you also have a Voodoo Labs PedalPower + installed.
Ground loop loving AHOY.

Was driving me nuts tho':
Remove pedals, test, re-configure, re-do patch cables (George L), rearrange, test, remove pedals, etc...

All of a sudden, in the midst of crazy frustration today, I thought 'hmm...I loving wonder...', touched a screw to the pedalboard BUZZZZZZ and SON OF A BITCH.

Funny stuff, really.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I've no clue which thread to put this into. I ruled out the guitar thread, because to my ears it sounds like a single coil bridge to me and it's more the signal processing/amplification that seems to be what I'm asking about.

What does a person have to do to get this sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbe3CQamF8k&t=85s

I realize it's Massive Attack, and their studio manipulation is legend, but it kinda seems they let the guitarist on Angel just go... So do any of you far-more-guitar-sound-trained persons have a clue what pedal or amp or combo might be making that tone? I've been researching my butt off for a pedal to be my driven sound. It's appearing that I am not a fuzz person, or a TS person, or a gain-o-riffic distortion person. It seems my taste lays in the land of overdrive, which it seems this sound is. I've just been listening to samples and demos of the blizzard of overdrive pedals out there for like a month now and nothing's quite grabbed me yet.

Eventually when I have time later this year I'll go demo a bunch of stuff, but this morning I remembered that track, that sound, that minor chord and thought that if someone could point me in the direction of that it might help. Light picking it's thin, then when they put the spurs to it seems to get so screamy AND creamy at the same time. I want something I can hear every drat pitch in in complex chords, but still sounds like it's about to shatter.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Honestly to me, that sounds like a LOT of volume from a 'barely on the edge of distortion' amp, maybe something like an AC30 with the quintessential Alnico Blue speakers (known for their clarity and bell-like tone). Add a lot of reverb, tone on a single-coil guitar in the bridge position high and maybe a touch of low-depth/low-speed chorus for effect.

Bass control on the amp low, mids mid and treble on the high side, (on an AC30 top-boost too), that'd be my guess anyway.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Sounds like amp to me too. though I think it's a little more than "barely" distorting in the louder parts. I think a little bit of guitar/amp interaction might be audible at one point. In any case, there are now good pedals that approximate amp distortion. A Wampler Thirty Something or Black 65 might be a good place to start. You'll hear a bunch of sounds you don't like in both of those demos, but if you wait a few minutes you might hear a few that you do.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Sounds like a mildly overdriven Marshall with some eq or possibly an AC30 with an extra boost or overdrive in front of it.

It's really similar to Justin Broadrick's tone from the same period, which was a JCM800:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coRzshcqyGs

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 30, 2014

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Well, I'll throw on the bright clean channel with an EL84 tube emulation on the ID30 tonight and see what I can see at various gain settings (as the AC30 well overdriven was the thought I had as well). It won't sound quite the same as I didn't wire my bridge bucker (ToneZone S) for a coil split, but I was considering coming back around and doing that at some point anyway, so sometime in the next couple of weeks I may do that.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Sounds like amp to me too. though I think it's a little more than "barely" distorting in the louder parts. I think a little bit of guitar/amp interaction might be audible at one point.
Well bear in mind that typically the apparent recorded level of overdrive is usually much less than it is on the amp, which is why I said it was minimal.

If you're on a humbucker guitar, rolling the volume back a bit should get a little closer to a single coil sound. Depends on your control configuration a bit.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

iostream.h posted:

Well bear in mind that typically the apparent recorded level of overdrive is usually much less than it is on the amp, which is why I said it was minimal.

If you're on a humbucker guitar, rolling the volume back a bit should get a little closer to a single coil sound. Depends on your control configuration a bit.

Nah, the ToneZone S is quite mellow compared to a true single in the bridge. It's why I got it. The Seymour Duncan bridge pickup the thing came with was like nails on a chalkboard. And, I pretty much never touch the tone knobs, so it's as bright as it's going to get sans some 500k love.

Edit:

Messed around for a bit when I got home. Closest I could get with my gear, and I'm fairly satisfied with it:

Channel: Super Crunch
Gain: Dimed
Cabinet Volume (emulated): Dimed
Bass: Rolled off to about 10 o'clock
Treble: Rolled up to about 3 o'clock
ISF: All the way over to the "British" side
Tube Emulation: EL34

A very, very small amount of plate reverb behind it, bridge pickup, fretted up a 6-string C# minor barre and let rip. Boom.

So yeah, dimed Marshall sound through a strat'ish bridge.

Alleric fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 31, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Just jammng at home I got fairly close with a boss OD3. That pedal owns bones, its a nice overdrive that isn't as mid-honky as a TS can be.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

massive spider posted:

Just jammng at home I got fairly close with a boss OD3. That pedal owns bones, its a nice overdrive that isn't as mid-honky as a TS can be.

Everyone should have an od3. It's one of the best overdrive pedals I've used and while I think people are starting to come around to it, it really doesn't have the recognition it deserves.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I agree, that's a great pedal. Another very good pedal that is super cheap and often totally overlooked is the Digitech Screamin' Blues, which is very much a BD-2 but has a few adjustments that give it a different sound. In my experience, slightly less fizz as you end the note, but a less pronounced attack too - except at higher gain settings, where it really really just sounds like a cranked BD-2 (and any circuit with a similar topology running at 9V and amping a guitar signal probably would, too). Good tone controls on it.

One doesn't HAVE to spend a fortune chasing nice sounds, it's just, y'know, you can, I guess. two fuckin' Openhaus pedals, I am the original owner. ._. the 2013 "Openhaus EQ" revision is just so nice, I tells ya!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Holy poo poo he's alive!!!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

iostream.h posted:

Holy poo poo he's alive!!!

get a room. :colbert:

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Alleric posted:

I realize it's Massive Attack...I want something I can hear every drat pitch in in complex chords, but still sounds like it's about to shatter.

Three guitar tracks, but all very similar. I would agree with you that it's probably a single coil bridge pickup, and most likely using something like an AC30 on the verge of breakup because that's just how those British studios do. There definitely a degree of compression being applied to the recorded signal, as well as a spot of reverb (most likely studio processing) and a touch of delay during the first few measures of the guitar piece. When the three tracks come together you have two relatively dry signals playing in sync, and a third one sort of carrying under with a wah pedal. After the last decade of music in England predating Mezzanine, Massive Attack was among many of the artists of the time to learn that the best way to achieve total harmonic saturation with a guitar was to dedicate at least 8 tracks to it, most of which were simply for chorusing or panning.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKf3HcGH8RY

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 31, 2014

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Three guitar tracks, but all very similar. I would agree with you that it's probably a single coil bridge pickup, and most likely using something like an AC30 on the verge of breakup because that's just how those British studios do. There definitely a degree of compression being applied to the recorded signal, as well as a spot of reverb (most likely studio processing) and a touch of delay during the first few measures of the guitar piece. When the three tracks come together you have two relatively dry signals playing in sync, and a third one sort of carrying under with a wah pedal. After the last decade of music in England predating Mezzanine, Massive Attack was among many of the artists of the time to learn that the best way to achieve total harmonic saturation with a guitar was to dedicate at least 8 tracks to it, most of which were simply for chorusing or panning.

I was just about to come check in with this thread again. After some other discoveries on YouTube, it's indeed a Thinline Tele. On one of the live vids I found he's got it up on neck, but in that one he's indeed down on bridge. I still can't discern the backline amps though. Did I miss something about them from the vid? I see what appears to be a Marshall 4x12 on its side at 3:37.

Oh, and found this: http://massiveattack.ie/media/gallery/guitarist-magazine-interview/

GT5 + Mesa?

Alleric fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 31, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
almost gave up all things fuzz then decided to roll the guitar volume a bit. makes it sooooo much more practical for me

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

almost gave up all things fuzz then decided to roll the guitar volume a bit. makes it sooooo much more practical for me

Watch pros, they're almost always fiddling with the volume and tone knobs. Which are totally on there for a reason, and do some pretty neat poo poo electronically when you put them in series with the cable and a fuzz pedal load :)

A buffer will make it more controllable/predictable but also probably worse if it's a fuzz. Not necessarily so, just often the case, depends very much on the design (it's just that it's really easy to make a retro fuzz, so poo poo like input impedance often gets ignored in the name of verisimilitude).

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Any pedal that can offer me arpeggiation of the notes inside a chord that I'm playing? I've got to play Baba O'Riley on a guitar and I'm looking for a lazy way to do that intro.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Pretty sure the Eventide H9 does this.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

juche mane posted:

Any pedal that can offer me arpeggiation of the notes inside a chord that I'm playing? I've got to play Baba O'Riley on a guitar and I'm looking for a lazy way to do that intro.

I'd say buying an expensive price of hardware to do something you can already do on a guitar seems a bit pointless. You're probably looking for some sort of auto tune based vocal unit.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

You might be able to fake it with a really choppy trem pedal - something like a vox repeat percussion. If I remember, I think the Gig FX chopper pedal even uses Baba O'reiley as the demo song on the company's website

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So apparently Korg is now embracing re-releasing things from it's catalog, this time with the SDD-3000.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/sdd3000_pedal/

It's a pedal instead of a rack unit this time but it's an exact copy of the rack unit's function and sound including the preamp.

The bad news is that it's $400 and at that price it's competing with things like the timefactor and timeline which I think are vastly superior.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
If all you want is the preamp and you know how to solder Aione makes a PCB for $8.00.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
The Boss RC-50 has 3 loops, midi, and independent L/R outs (for sending to 2 different amps)!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

A Winner is Jew posted:

So apparently Korg is now embracing re-releasing things from it's catalog, this time with the SDD-3000.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/sdd3000_pedal/

It's a pedal instead of a rack unit this time but it's an exact copy of the rack unit's function and sound including the preamp.

The bad news is that it's $400 and at that price it's competing with things like the timefactor and timeline which I think are vastly superior.

Well, it's also got 7 other delays, four footswitches, modulation, and attenuators to deal with volume drop, plus it's got a simplified layout as compared to the Timefactor or Timeline. There's also the fact that it does this specific sound and no other pedals on the market do, so I don't think the asking price is wholly unreasonable, since that's what a sophisticated delay unit goes for these days.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Declan MacManus posted:

Well, it's also got 7 other delays, four footswitches, modulation, and attenuators to deal with volume drop, plus it's got a simplified layout as compared to the Timefactor or Timeline. There's also the fact that it does this specific sound and no other pedals on the market do, so I don't think the asking price is wholly unreasonable, since that's what a sophisticated delay unit goes for these days.

I'm disappointed at the lack of insert sockets in the feedback path but, otherwise, this is a drat compelling and highly flexible unit.

Hopefully it'll bomb as a product so in a few years I can pick up 3 of them at second-hand bargain prices to be used with a matrix mixer. :devil:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

How fussy are pedals about amperes in general?
I'm thinking about getting a pedalboard powersupply and it looks like they supply anywhere from 150 mA to 800-1000 mA.
Am I going to fry my pedals if I give them too much juice or can they regulate it?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Most included power supplies provide way more than the pedal needs, you'll be fine.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

^ to elaborate a little, you want a power supply with higher total mA than the total off all the pedals you're feeding; the pedals will only pull what they need. The voltage is what you wanna make sure matches - feeding a 9v pedal more than 9v can certainly fry it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Also, mind the polarity because most makers just insist rather than sticking another few parts in there apart from maybe a diode intended to croak before the circuit gets fried (of course, if they're slick, you might see some kinda FET to handle improper polarity safely), and if you ever put AC anywhere near a pedal expecting DC, a diode race to death is the least of your worries. Wax on, wax ZAP

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So if I want to step into the world of fuzz pedals, should I dip a toe in with a Big Muff Pi (maybe the one with tone wicker), or just jump in with a Zvex Fuzz Factory?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

They're two entirely different pedals, sharing only that they're 'fuzz' between them really.

If you want a more traditional fuzz then get the BMP.
If you're interested in traditional-ISH fuzz with the ability to do some weird, out there poo poo, go for the FF.

Go for the FF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Big Muff is a classic sound, for sure, but the FF can cover that territory

I'd also look into a fuzz from Full Nelson Effects, they've got some dope poo poo