Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

kaschei posted:

Then what's the beginner's knockdown pressure? Just throw/combo mixup?

There are kind of a million different individual things you can do. It's a really complicated subject that relies enormously on timing and feel and situational reads. The core Bison mix-up is something like: low short (or another frame trap normal), throw, or delayed walk back scissor kick. Bison doesn't get big damage off hit-confirms, so it generally pays to play cautiously, and scissor kicks are really safe. Scissor kick will beat a lot of defensive normals like crouch techs or low forwards. It can also catch back dashes.

Bison's pressure is mainly effective for building meter and pushing them to the corner. Use scissor kick and standing medium kick to bully them and convince them to walk backwards or eat safe damage. In the corner, Bison is a lot more effective, able to set up a lot of traps and get a bunch of fairly safe chip. Be methodical and patient, you want to save the throws or tech traps for when you have a good sense of the opponent's passivity.

The great thing about Bison wake-up pressure is that you don't need it. If you do some kind of passive nothing, that's okay, because against many characters he's totally comfortable in the mid-range. In this sense, it's more important to be consistently frustrating and safe, then to go for big gambles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Trykt posted:

Please fight this man, the literal best SF4 player in the state that he lives in

Probably not but nobody who lives here has shown up personally to my house to prove I'm not!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Think I'm gonna try to learn Abel, even though I lost about 8 matches in a row playing as him tonight.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

strangemusic posted:

True, Decapre v. Hugo is a goddamn nightmare, for example.
Ooo, ooo, can I post my character records now, too?

Low tier struggle!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
We should do another Challonge bracket, using the endless match hack to get good 1v1 fights.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

jebeebus posted:

I agree but he is an rear end in a top hat so I don't want to sound like I'm supporting him.

gently caress u bebo

You can't expect to be good at fgs without being an rear end in a top hat. For example, I'm nice and I totally suck

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I get mad at curexo (jebeebus) because I know he can be better and I want him to be better because fighting him a lot in the first place is what made me better when I was really bad. I'm also really bad at giving constructive criticism, and often get frustrated and end up playing into other peoples bad habits instead of consistently punishing them.

Play me if you want to get yelled at and called names.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I get mad at curexo (jebeebus) because I know he can be better and I want him to be better because fighting him a lot in the first place is what made me better when I was really bad. I'm also really bad at giving constructive criticism, and often get frustrated and end up playing into other peoples bad habits instead of consistently punishing them.

Play me if you want to get yelled at and called names.
You beat me up like 8 times last night with nary a word, I take it this means I'm not even worth your disrespect?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
you took my points, you dick.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

kaschei posted:

You beat me up like 8 times last night with nary a word, I take it this means I'm not even worth your disrespect?

That's me being bad at giving advice and feeling like I'd more than likely come off like a dick than be helpful, so I don't say much at all!

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
I actually feel like I'm learning when I play against bebop.

His Evil Ryu is pretty scary.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Firstborn posted:

Ooo, ooo, can I post my character records now, too?

Low tier struggle!

Teach me how to increase my 10% winrate.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I remember earlier in this thread there was a group of beginner level goons that wanted to form a little game group for endless lobbies or something. Is that group still here? (Steam platform)

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Unlocking cards while uploading replays :munch:

General Morden posted:

I actually feel like I'm learning when I play against bebop.

His Evil Ryu is pretty scary.

Evil Ryu is probably my biggest problem in the game (even in AE). It's really hard to stop him when he starts up and you might as well stop playing because he's going to do 50% marvel combos on you.

Character did not need buffs. I am oozing pure sodium irl

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The PC version crashes every time I try to do a ranked match!

edit: if there's a beginner level group I want in.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

KingShiro posted:

Unlocking cards while uploading replays :munch:

Evil Ryu is probably my biggest problem in the game (even in AE). It's really hard to stop him when he starts up and you might as well stop playing because he's going to do 50% marvel combos on you.

Character did not need buffs. I am oozing pure sodium irl

He's definitely strong, but he does have his weaknesses. His dizzy meter is pretty small, so if you can keep getting consistent hits on him, he'll get dizzied pretty quickly.

His cr. MK into fireball is a really effective tool at preventing you from focusing at range (which I learned the hard way against Bebop), but if you can predict it and then jump in on him, then you might be able to get some decent damage on him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Overbite posted:

The PC version crashes every time I try to do a ranked match!

edit: if there's a beginner level group I want in.

I have this problem if I'm doing quick match, just do custom match and look for a name you like.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Dizz posted:

Teach me how to increase my 10% winrate.

Well, like I said, I'm mostly applying 3S strats. I think one of the most important things is to know what buttons not to press. Hugo has some normals that are so specialized, they are hardly ever used - S.RH (can't even move back/forward like in 3S), C.RH, S.FK, F+FP, C. FP. You should be pressing S.SP, S.FP (probably his best AA with the armor on it) C or S JP, S or C SK, C. FK, C. SP.. in the air J.FP to get to a fireballer, J.RH is nice and meaty for a guaranteed jump-in, and J.JP air-to-air. His splash is okay and has a weird hitbox, I've hit Gouken out of his EX Tatsu.

Clap pressure. C. SK or C. JP -> JP clap is fantastic... and S. SK has a really long hitbox and goes into clap well. C. SK -> Clap -> C. SK -> SK Lariat is loving obscene damage. 35% or so on some of the cast and easy as hell to do. Make them afraid to jump with EX BB (it feels great to watch Vega wallbounce, then hit him with this, or block a T. Hawk dive and get jump.. or a Blanka ball.. or a Bison stomp.. or...) In the corner you clap people over and over, mixing up the start-up times with SP and FP, and claps combo into each other in a FP -> SP -> JP order if you get the timing right... the frames are juicy to feel free to follow up your claps with a S/C. SP or jabs or even a Meatsquasher. EX Meatsquasher and EX Lariat have very similar animations, but Lariat has infinite armor on it which is great for going through predicted fireballs, even EX ones. I've grabbed people using the 1 hit of armor from EX Meatsquasher in ways that Gief's 360+K would whiff. Meatsquasher takes them right to the corner where you can start locking them down.

Once you get a knockdown, Hugo is in the zone, and I like to mix-up between the following options:
- Meaty clap (miss it on purpose, then input a BB and watch how many people try to jump out of it)
- S. FP
- UOH (d, d, FK) -> c.sk, clap.. etc or tick throw with a 360
- Standing 360
- Cross-up Splash
- Nothing

Don't be afraid to take your time, don't jump in predictable patterns, and set the pace of the match yourself. Hugo has plenty of life to get through the initial barrage of fireballs, and does so much damage that 2 or 3 bad guesses will be game over for the other guy.

There's more specific things, but I hope this gets you on your way.

Edit: I always use U1. I don't like U2 in this game because it goes more forward than up, and it has whiffed on everything from jump-ins to vega walldives to punishing random shoryus. I just don't like it. EX BB is plenty reason to be scared, and the threat of U1 is good enough for me.
Fake Edit: Hugo's super is decent considering every hit can be done even on an airborne opponent and you can follow-up with a RH BB (or a SK BB if you 'link' it), but his EX are too good. You can work an EX clap into your clap string, but I feel it's better used for meatsquashers to get corner pressure going, BB, or Lariats to get in and get a KD so you can work your magic.

(Also, you can get a bit stronger if you eat more potatoes.)

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 9, 2014

GEExCEE
Sep 19, 2012

http://steamcommunity.com/id/geexcee I'm home nursing an injury, somebody come beat my noob rear end up repeatedly

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm starting an Endless Room... it's called "Needs Friends".

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What's the E.Ryu shoryuken punish combo?

What's the highest damage cr.mk -> Fireball FADC? Currently I do cr. mk xx fireball FADC cr. mp xx lk tatsu, hp shoryu

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If you're prepared to FADC off a cr.MK xx Hado, I would have thought (without being an E.Ryu player beyond casually messing about) you'd be best taking the corner carry and doing the full Axe loop of st.HP xx MK.Axe, cr.MP xx LK.Tatsu HP.Shoryu

I would point out you could FADC the Shoryu into Ultra, Shaku or another Axe Kick, but by that point scaling has probably reduced your damage to practically zero, so you'll just be styling with meter by that point. Though for all I know, some E.Ryu savant will tell you why it's still worth it. (Unless you kill on the final round with it, in which case, :krad:)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

FADC combos depend on range and if they're crouching or standing. If you're in range after the FADC, you definitely want to do cr.HP into MK axe kick. If you're not, you have to confirm whether they're crouching or standing. If they're crouching, you do cr.MK xx HP DP. If they're standing you do st.MP or cr.MK (depending on range) xx LK tatsu > HP DP.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 9, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I know how little it means, but someone was bragging about being the no. 1 Hugo on Reddit and posted a picture and I'm number 8. Feels good!

We need a private endless to prevent that packet poll crap that freezes games.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Firstborn posted:

I know how little it means, but someone was bragging about being the no. 1 Hugo on Reddit and posted a picture and I'm number 8. Feels good!

We need a private endless to prevent that packet poll crap that freezes games.

Make one, dummy! And send me an invite!

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971064020/

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
While we're on E.Ryu, why does Daigo always go for the LP DP > HP DP juggle ender in the corner? I remember testing it out in training mode and simply ending in HP DP does more damage and stun.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

jebeebus posted:

While we're on E.Ryu, why does Daigo always go for the LP DP > HP DP juggle ender in the corner? I remember testing it out in training mode and simply ending in HP DP does more damage and stun.

The only reason I can think of is that LP DP > HP DP builds slightly more meter.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Just play Chun-li if you want free wins I guess because you can't do anything against her in this mess.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure what to make of this, other than that Gouken was terrible.

Seriously, the head jump is neither hard to block nor difficult to punish. This was the first Gouken I've fought in Ultra, too. He could've beaten me pretty easily if he'd have blocked anything. Maybe the dumbest win I've ever had. When I got the three in a row in Round 1 I figured I'd just do that in Round 2 and see when he started to catch on.

The answer was never.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

jebeebus posted:

As someone else mentioned LP->HP is a meter build thing, but the real question is why he doesn't go for LP DP into the Sako jump/rejump mixups. I'd love to know whether it's because unblockables are out, Daigo's uncomfortable with the setups or because he values meter gain and guaranteed corner pressure differently from Sako.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Honeymoon is over, I suck! I'm forever destined to be a C+ scrub. I know PP and BP doesn't matter blah blah but I seem to always hit the wall at B rating. Seems like you lose less BP now in Ultra then you did in previous versions, yes?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I jumped into Ultra blindly on PC and some of the changes are strange. Ibuki's double sweep is a hard knockdown only if you combo into it? It's a weird new inconsistency.

Also, I was somehow unaware that her crouching medium punch creeps foward slightly if you time it perfectly with the crouch. Kara without another input? Has it always done this? I'm bad at this game and these small discoveries always remind me how little I loving know. Now I seem to know even less. Fuuuuck.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Mio Bison posted:

he values meter gain and guaranteed corner pressure differently from Sako.

I think it's gotta be this. His version of ERyu is just really conservative, possibly to a fault. That's how his Akuma was too for the minute he was on that character, just a reserved as hell footsie-based shoto that once in a blue moon would actually do vortex poo poo. IMO Sako is the player to be emulated, or at least he would be if he was human and not a robot slash alien slash inter-dimensional being placed on this earth just to gently caress with humanity.

I wish Daigo would go back to regular Ryu so I could ride his dick some more!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally figured out why I can only beat good players with chun li. Most of her moves are safe on most of the cast and has a great backdash. Not having an instant DP is probably good for me.

The only other character I can think of that can just throw poo poo out is maybe Dictator? Any other characters I can look at? Dhalsim maybe? I mean if I dont ever DP almost everyone applies, but i dont have that kind of discipline

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 10, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Cody, Cammy, Fei, and Poison and Guile are good for pressing buttons. Of these I know Cody the best and man you fan just pressure all day with varied and fun normals. Dudley, too.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Elenas got some buttons too! Im a fan of standing MP

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Weird question: I bought the "complete pack" for Arcade Edition on Steam some time ago. I just check my library and it now says that I own Ultra. Was there some kind of free upgrade or something? I'm seeing that there's a paid upgrade for sale though. I'm pretty confused.

vvv Oh well that explains it, thanks.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 10, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Hikaki posted:

Weird question: I bought the "complete pack" for Arcade Edition on Steam some time ago. I just check my library and it now says that I own Ultra. Was there some kind of free upgrade or something? I'm seeing that there's a paid upgrade for sale though. I'm pretty confused.

They needed to 'upgrade' everyone to Ultra in order to allow full-version and upgrade-version players to play together on Steamworks. What you really have is AE until you pay the 15bux to upgrade.

Edit: I really wish Edition Select would put a little logo somewhere to show which version each player picked. Sorta like what Hyper SF2 did. Hyper Alpha can get away with no indicator since the super bars look different, but SF4? Nope you dont get a little reminder, you just gotta remember!

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 10, 2014

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
I decided to pick up Decapre just for shits and giggles whilst getting my rear end kicked by a friend who plays a far superior Poison/Juri, and oh drat, I love her. I've picked her up as a main, despite never really being interested in charge characters before. Any general charge tips, or even better, Decapre tips? I really struggle getting her Spiral Arrow off- how the gently caress am I meant to charge mid-air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why on earth can no one deal with Dan? All I'm doing is his rear end-slap taunt any time I knock a guy down and then running in for cheap hits when they start obviously getting annoyed. Start of the round, I'll run backwards to the edge and duck-taunt to build meter. Absolutely no one seems to know what the hell I'm doing so they just stand there and taunt, too. It isn't until the 'Super' flashes that they realize what I've done.

Have a lot of trouble fighting Guile, though. Dan's fireball game sucks, and if you try and jump it, you'll just get Flash Kicked. Gouken's hard to get in on for me, too. Whatever way he throws that drat Hadoken, I'm gonna be there to run into it without fail. Doubt I'm gonna find many Dan guides on Youtube - anyone have suggestions for dealing with these two?

Also, did Cammy get super nerfed for Ultra, or have I just gotten better at dealing with her? With both Dan and Poison I can shut them down pretty consistently, and I remember her being a major pain in the rear end in previous versions of the game.

• Locked thread