Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

everythingWasBees posted:

I think it's only being applie1d2f`q to very specific dungeons, from what I saw in the updates.

Interesting. We'll have to see how it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Potsticker posted:

Actually, if the heart only spawned some of the time, so you could have abandoned olaces where space moles burrow free and occupied facilities still in use it would not only provide more variety, but satisfy both types of player.

Yeah, it's only some areas that feel like they're broken in very bad ways by allowing players to dig them up. Adding in some randomization to this would also allow for things like relatively simple dungeon variants, like a fully functional Apex testing facility that's all lit up and stuff that you have to switch the dungeon heart off to dig up vs. an abandoned one where the lights are broken and most of the equipment doesn't work that's totally vulnerable to pickaxes or whatevs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

RedXII posted:

You know what, I'm willing to toxx clause it. If bookmarking is in 1.0 go ahead and ban me.

Either way you can claim Chucklefish is screwing you out of money.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

RedXII posted:

You know what, I'm willing to toxx clause it. If bookmarking is in 1.0 go ahead and ban me.

you can already set a home planet might as well get yourself banned now and save the trouble because thats some ez poo poo to implement since a part of it is already in place

RedXII
Dec 4, 2006

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

Lizard Wizard posted:

Either way you can claim Chucklefish is screwing you out of money.

I do have a history of wasting money

THE PENETRATOR posted:

you can already set a home planet might as well get yourself banned now and save the trouble because thats some ez poo poo to implement since a part of it is already in place

Bookmarking isn't the same as setting a home planet and I'm pretty confident that bookmarking specific planets and coordinates as shown in the pre-purchase materials won't be in 1.0 since we don't even have a way to reassign hotkeys in game. Given that they are making a big push for 1.0 I highly doubt bookmarking will end up in the release.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
For the prior Uranium discussion I was wondering: Does anyone happen to know what the maximum loose object value is? I know in Terraria (and probably other games there's a limit which helps with performance if nothing else, tohugh you can lose blocks easily if you TNT the gently caress out of the ground in Terraria. However Starbound has uranium and plutonium so I was wondering: pocket nukes? Make some fuel, build up the casing and have yourself a hand grenade that levels a city block, or maybe something like a 20x20 area if that wouldn't cause too might of an issue to the game. Even something smaller like a 10x10 area would be nice. Make your hellivators with style. :hellyeah:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

RedXII posted:

Bookmarking isn't the same as setting a home planet and I'm pretty confident that bookmarking specific planets and coordinates as shown in the pre-purchase materials won't be in 1.0 since we don't even have a way to reassign hotkeys in game. Given that they are making a big push for 1.0 I highly doubt bookmarking will end up in the release.

programmatically unless they hosed it up real hard somehow it's exactly the same

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ernie Muppari posted:

Wait what? Why would that be how that works? That sounds really dumb and I really hope they aren't planning to go with that long term.
Well, I'd assume the reason they'd keep generic 'can't mine X without Y pickaxe' would because Terraria and whatever other digging games do it, and calling it "a sense of progression" when you are screaming at your screen because you've spent the last two hours walking past piles of iron and whatever amounts of silver and gold because you just can't find those first scraps of copper that are "So easy to get you guys." While walking past any platinum or diamonds you'd normally dig up to save for making a shiny new pickaxe later, because you are not allowed to dig plat without gold, and no diamond without plat.

You don't even start off being able to dig up the FIRST TIER progression metal, stone pick can only dig up copper and coal. No Iron, no Silver, no Gold. So before you can make an anvil (because you are not allowed to dig up iron), you gotta hope you find enough copper. This is actually WORSE than usual pickaxe progression, because you don't need to work your way up through an extra pickaxe tier before you can start making an ANVIL in Terraria (plus, you know. Starting with a pickaxe).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 10, 2014

RedXII
Dec 4, 2006

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

THE PENETRATOR posted:

programmatically unless they hosed it up real hard somehow it's exactly the same

Then why haven't they done it yet? same with a simple UI for reassigning hotkeys, same with a delete button for characters and a way to reset your universe, and all the other simple UI things that should be in the game but aren't.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RedXII posted:

Then why haven't they done it yet? same with a simple UI for reassigning hotkeys, same with a delete button for characters and a way to reset your universe, and all the other simple UI things that should be in the game but aren't.

Because UI tweaks and quality-of-life features tend to be worked on in the very final stages of development. Right now they're trying to overhaul several central gameplay systems, all of which have knock-on effects on everything else in the game. That's probably a higher priority.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

RedXII posted:

i don't know. i can only assume they don't care enough.

there is a character delete in nightlies tho (it fucks up the UI real bad and overlaps poorly)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Section Z posted:

Well, I'd assume the reason they'd keep generic 'can't mine X without Y pickaxe' would because Terraria and whatever other digging games do it, and calling it "a sense of progression" when you are screaming at your screen because you've spent the last two hours walking past piles of iron and whatever amounts of silver and gold because you just can't find those first scraps of copper that are "So easy to get you guys." While walking past any platinum or diamonds you'd normally dig up to save for making a shiny new pickaxe later, because you are not allowed to dig plat without gold, and no diamond without plat.

You don't even start off being able to dig up the FIRST TIER metal, stone pick can only dig up copper and coal. No Iron, no Silver, no Gold. So before you can make an anvil (because you are not allowed to dig up iron), you gotta hope you find enough copper. This is actually WORSE than usual pickaxe progression, because you don't need to work your way up through an extra pickaxe tier before you can start making an ANVIL in Terraria (plus, you know. Starting with a pickaxe).

:psyduck:

RedXII
Dec 4, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

there is a character delete in nightlies tho (it fucks up the UI real bad and overlaps poorly)

Well, I doubt they are going to care enough to put bookmarking in 1.0.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Because UI tweaks and quality-of-life features tend to be worked on in the very final stages of development. Right now they're trying to overhaul several central gameplay systems, all of which have knock-on effects on everything else in the game. That's probably a higher priority.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

RedXII posted:

Well, I doubt they are going to care enough to put bookmarking in 1.0.

Don't let the reasonable explanation distract you from the "dunno i guess they suck" one, it is just a distraction to keep you from seeing the truth.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Chalks posted:

Don't let the reasonable explanation distract you from the "dunno i guess they suck" one, it is just a distraction to keep you from seeing the truth.

confirmed true

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Section Z posted:

You don't even start off being able to dig up the FIRST TIER progression metal, stone pick can only dig up copper and coal. No Iron, no Silver, no Gold. So before you can make an anvil (because you are not allowed to dig up iron), you gotta hope you find enough copper. This is actually WORSE than usual pickaxe progression, because you don't need to work your way up through an extra pickaxe tier before you can start making an ANVIL in Terraria (plus, you know. Starting with a pickaxe).

This sounds pretty bad.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i have a complaint, which is legitimate, which is that pickaxes can mine minerals 2 tiers above themselves, so copper can do iron AND silver, but stone cannot do copper and iron. please fix.

RedXII
Dec 4, 2006

Chalks posted:

Yeah I suppose I wouldn't want them to deviate too far from reworking core sections of the design flowchart to add in a ui feature that is both highly demanded from players and apparently easy as poo poo to implement as its already halfway implemented.

Wonder what the excuse will be when 1.0 comes out and it's not in.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

You also can't circumvent any of that by digging around in sand or gravel anymore, because ores will just pop out of existence unless you mine them out with the appropriate pick one bit at a time. I'd almost be okay with the progression system if they didn't do that.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

endolithic posted:

You also can't circumvent any of that by digging around in sand or gravel anymore, because ores will just pop out of existence unless you mine them out with the appropriate pick one bit at a time. I'd almost be okay with the progression system if they didn't do that.

confirmed worst change 2014

RedXII
Dec 4, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Seconded. Plopping down on a desert planet and mining into the sand was the best and fastest way to get a lot of coal and other materials. not to mention that the ores popping out of existence just completely ruins my immersion.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Yuck. That's terrible.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I tend to like progression systems where you can skip several steps of it by getting lucky/being smart so if this is a permanent change that is a real shame.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

endolithic posted:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

applause emote or something so it's not emptyquoting i guess

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Thirded. Better pick = better speed was a far better system.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Making progression as linear as possible in sandbox games is always the weirdest thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

endolithic posted:

What the hell is this? The sand/gravel thing was fantastic and making it destroy ore would be a huge QoL hit. This better be you guys just trolling because if not, Tiy what the gently caress?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Evil Fluffy posted:

What the hell is this? The sand/gravel thing was fantastic and making it destroy ore would be a huge QoL hit. This better be you guys just trolling because if not, Tiy what the gently caress?

it's not a troll

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

No more sand surfing for ores? :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Varinn posted:

Making progression as linear as possible in sandbox games is always the weirdest thing.

This is not an empty quote.

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!

RedXII posted:

I'm pretty confident that bookmarking specific planets and coordinates as shown in the pre-purchase materials

It's one of the many, many things presented in early bullshots that aren't anywhere in the game.

edit: since uploading the image didn't seem to work

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mario Reindeer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 10, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Where are all the features in this game that you promised Tiy?! :mad:

"The game still isn't done ye-" NO SHUT UP :byodood:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

There are a lot of mockup images of concepts that they were kicking around and showing an 'For example, maybe like this'.

They made it clear at the time that they were mockups, things to give people a general idea of the sorts of stuff they were looking to do and have in the final version. Concept art. I remember looking at those shots and I see that time and bitter, dumb anger has taken out an important bit of context, that they were ALWAYS presented as mockups, as concepts, and never representative of the product at the time or a guarantee of how it would exactly work later on. This information was offered rather upfront, unmistakable and direct.

Problem is, people are incredibly loving stupid and selectively forgetful. A mockup/concept becomes a promise. Tiy or another Dev kicking around ideas and possibilities becomes a promise. Things that people completely make up become a promise!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Varinn posted:

This sounds pretty bad.
My only comfort is that this latest derail I've caused myself by simply reading the nightly notes, is based around actual current (nightly) gameplay and it's implications. Pretty bullshit that ores disintegrate, I thought they would just float in the air mocking you or something.

Though I can't help but ruin it by asking, would you say this is worse than caveman tier? Because caveman tier could at least, very slowly, dig up anything.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Section Z posted:

My only comfort is that this latest derail I've caused myself by simply reading the nightly notes, is based around actual current (nightly) gameplay and it's implications. Pretty bullshit that ores disintegrate, I thought they would just float in the air mocking you or something.

Though I can't help but ruin it by asking, would you say this is worse than caveman tier? Because caveman tier could at least, very slowly, dig up anything.

I think that maybe scrabbling for dirt and rocks with your hands and caveman tools and then subsequently warping away like megaman is a weird disconnect and one of those things is cool and should be what starbound is about and one isn't.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Varinn posted:

I think that maybe scrabbling for dirt and rocks with your hands and caveman tools and then subsequently warping away like megaman is a weird disconnect and one of those things is cool and should be what starbound is about and one isn't.

yeah

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!

RareAcumen posted:

Where are all the features in this game that you promised Tiy?! :mad:

"The game still isn't done ye-" NO SHUT UP :byodood:

Yeah, you're right.

Except for the part where Tiyuri repeatedly made promises about content in the game and content to be included in the game, then when his customers wanted to know when they'd start seeing the things he promised them said "Promises? What promises?"

Magmarashi posted:

Problem is, people are incredibly loving stupid and selectively forgetful. A mockup/concept becomes a promise. Tiy or another Dev kicking around ideas and possibilities becomes a promise. Things that people completely make up become a promise!

Talk about selectively forgetful. There are "mockups" on the Steam page, still, that depict content that isn't in the game. They aren't labeled as mockups or preliminary in any way. It's disingenuous to say the least.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So my buddies and I were playing tonight, had the server crash, and now our home planet is completely reset :negative:

So that's goodbye to the house that we've spent the last 20 or so hours of gameplay on. Oh well, as good a reason as any to throw in the towel until the next major update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ok forget whatever this post is about i want to know about you punching a baby to death inside the womb

• Locked thread