Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

o muerte posted:

It's almost as if you ignored his point and started talking about pistols, gee.

I'm saying that the only time an MCG is at risk of being "jumped" is at fairly close range, and they've got that covered with some amazing pistol choices. Otherwise it has enough ammo that it's a perfectly capable of prefiring when going around corners. There's little reason to not use it as a TR HA now unless you really want your sidearm slot to be a radar crossbow which is actually pretty legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Nakar posted:

It's great how the VS Heavy Weapon is a situational squad support gun, the NC Heavy Weapon is a somewhat superior shotgun for HAs only, and the TR Heavy Weapon is just a flat-out better LMG than any LMG. That's :soe: right there.

I'll remind you that it is the latest heavy weapon also, they changed the jackhammer first and it was good then they nerfed the lashers CoF, reduced its damage and increased its RoF. The MCG is the latest design of an already good gun hence its OP as hell much like the TORQ/lynx.

Its like EQ style gear creep, the more newer it is the more insane it is, the only exception from this is the zenith(.75 ads VS carbine) since its literally a NS11c minus 5 rounds. New guns: terminus, bandit, cougar, TORQ, inquisitor, desperado, Atross--you'll notice all guns mentioned are what you consider good. Obligatory VS bias, cerberus/zenith are exceptions of course because VS cant have anything nice.

I would not be surprised at all if they have no loving communication going on at all and only 2-3 people know about the gun/attachment stats.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Sard posted:

I'm saying that the only time an MCG is at risk of being "jumped" is at fairly close range, and they've got that covered with some amazing pistol choices. Otherwise it has enough ammo that it's a perfectly capable of prefiring when going around corners. There's little reason to not use it as a TR HA now unless you really want your sidearm slot to be a radar crossbow which is actually pretty legitimate.

:shrug: or you're going for directive points with other guns. Don't get me wrong, it's a great gun but you're not going to see "nothing but MCG" any time soon.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Westy543 posted:

And Nakar you forgot the Lynx was :qq: horribly nerfed with a huge DPS loss over the GD-7F! :qq:
Unless, of course, the Lynx is able to connect with more shots over the same period of time. But only if it had a larger magazine, faster reload, substantially superior horizontal recoil and tolerance, a shallower recoil angle, markedly better Moving ADS COFs, and the exact same minimum damage, and there's no way SOE will stop hating TR long enough to give them all those things! :qq:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Arghy posted:

I'll remind you that it is the latest heavy weapon also, they changed the jackhammer first and it was good then they nerfed the lashers CoF, reduced its damage and increased its RoF. The MCG is the latest design of an already good gun hence its OP as hell much like the TORQ/lynx.

Then they buffed the Lasher's COF again to where it was, but we'll ignore that!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Arghy posted:

Its like EQ style gear creep, the more newer it is the more insane it is, the only exception from this is the zenith(.75 ads VS carbine) since its literally a NS11c minus 5 rounds. New guns: terminus, bandit, cougar, TORQ, inquisitor, desperado, Atross--you'll notice all guns mentioned are what you consider good. Obligatory VS bias, cerberus/zenith are exceptions of course because VS cant have anything nice.

I'm not usually one to get into Arghuments, but the Zenith legit owns. It has about 70 RPM over the NS-11C and I personally find it to be easier to control.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I love the Zenith, but its existence makes me hate TR since the Jaguar is 1/4 the cost and gets softpoints. Higby, we know you read these forums, be a dear and fire the guys who keep giving VS watered-down TR guns.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 10, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm not usually one to get into Arghuments, but the Zenith legit owns. It has about 70 RPM over the NS-11C and I personally find it to be easier to control.
Only in Arghy's world is a weapon with 50-100 DPS over another weapon basically the same gun.

Also I honestly think most of the newer guns are well-balanced with the older ones, and in some cases are much more situational. The Cougar and Tross are situational alternatives to their fellows, the Desperado is not necessarily better than the Mag-Shot/Rebel (nor the Inquisitor better than the Repeater/Emperor), the MCG and Jackhammer don't eclipse all LMGs, etc. Even the TORQ is not better than the Cycler in every respect, despite how amazing it is overall. And the AMP/Mag-Scatter/Spiker are all highly gimmicky pistols and for the most part definite sidegrades at best and all pretty lovely at worst.

The new guns that are flat better than previous ones include, like... the Terminus, and the Terminus is merely a gun competitive with the Cycler and TORQ. VS ARs were so dire a straight upgrade was needed for parity, but the Terminus is not OP by any means. And you still have the Mercenary, Orion, and Cycler as examples of default guns that have by no means been entirely replaced by newer guns.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sitchelin posted:

I love the Zenith, but its existence makes me hate TR since the Jaguar is 1/4 the cost and gets softpoints. Higby, we know you read these forums, be a dear and fire the guys who keep giving VS watered-down TR guns.

How the zenith compare to the directive reward for auraxing 5 carbines? I'm like 500 kills away.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Sometimes I drift away from the Cycler and TORQ and go back to my dearest SABR-13, and I realize something: No matter how much bullshit I believe other TR guns to be, the SABR is always moreso. Always.

DID YOU KNOW?: The SABR and Reaper get 25% vertical recoil reduction from a Compensator, instead of the 10-15% most guns get? That makes the SABR's second shot recoil 0.3 and its first-shot recoil... 0.225. The SABR with a Compensator kicks slightly harder than a Pulsar every other shot and less in a single burst than the Equinox Burst kicks on the first shot of its three-round burst. The SABR is loving ridiculous.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Addendum: The AC-X11 is the only other gun in the game aside from the Reaper/SABR that gets an additional bonus from Compensators (-20% Vert. Recoil instead of -15% on other guns, or -25% on the Reaper/SABR). This definitely explains why the AC-X11 feel so good as well.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Arghy posted:

Ignoring, of course, guns that have been in since day 1 (or near enough to it) that we've always been talking about like the SABR, the Reaper, the X11, the Lancer, the Pulsar C, the SAW, the CARV, the Cyclone....

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there an anti-max gun? Like not av grenades or rocket launchers, but a gun.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Safety Scissors posted:

Yeah it's called the lasher

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
When you compare the original weapons to each generation added, what you see is that this game has a power crap actually.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Safety Scissors posted:

The MCG

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

Autoshotty/jackhammer with exmags.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Nakar posted:

tl;dr Just put a Forward Grip on everything.

Cannot pry the laser sight from my nyx, I need it for close encounters.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
By the way, whoever is in charge of SPLC on Connery, can I get control of the outfit? I seem to be the most frequent player on and I want to add a decal and silly writeup so we can advertise the Southern Poverty Law Center Official Gaming Alliance proudly.

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005
More sniper and self-congratulatory chat: Men, I've done it. World first auraxium of The Moonshot claimed for our people. Both Higby and Obama called to give congratulations. I cheesed that completely poo poo weapon harder than any weapon been cheesed: a final count of 2.4 kills a minute, making it the new most overpowered weapon according to Reddit's leading statistician.

Here's a celebratory clip of what I think was my last death before putting dear Moonshot away forever. Fortunately it's decently exciting and shows off the gun's worst characteristic pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne210ByxJZ0.

Note how the bullet ... rises out of the gun a pretty significant amount, which requires aiming at the base of the neck instead of the head for a headshot. If you aim at the head, the bullet just goes over them. I think it's somehow due to the gun's higher muzzle velocity not actually being tested, but it might just be that its crosshair is misaligned. I've never experienced it with the other sniper rifles, at least. Anyway, terrible gun. Don't bother.

My heart goes out to the other 3 poor dudes who seem to be using it extensively. It makes sniping at least twice as miserable and frustrating as it usually is. The DA stat grades are kind of interesting when there are only 4 data points.

roxxor5678 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 10, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

That's pretty cool if that's intentional, since I think that's how high velocity snipers would work within that distance. Someone who knows more about firearms than me can probably correct or confirm.

It's the one hit kill bodyshot sniper we've always wanted!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Westy543 posted:

That's pretty cool if that's intentional, since I think that's how high velocity snipers would work within that distance. Someone who knows more about firearms than me can probably correct or confirm.

Barrels are generally tilted up from the line the sight makes. So the bullet would appear to rise just after leaving the barrel, but in reality it's just the fact that the barrel axis is not the same as the sight axis.

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005

Westy543 posted:

Oh, it's not a one hit kill bodyshot. Two on normal people and still unfortunately up to four on a shielded heavy, just like the normal rifles. And it's stuck with a 6x scope so you can't actually take advantage of its higher muzzle velocity. It has absolutely no redeeming qualities except that it's shiny and makes people mad.

roxxor5678 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 10, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Westy543 posted:

Yes, that's how real guns work.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Westy543 posted:

Then they buffed the Lasher's COF again to where it was, but we'll ignore that!

They nerfed its hip fire CoF and hosed up the ADS stats then gave the old CoF but slightly worse to ADS. The only plus out of that was an increase in the RoF everything else was a negative.

Nakar posted:

Only in Arghy's world is a weapon with 50-100 DPS over another weapon basically the same gun.

Also I honestly think most of the newer guns are well-balanced with the older ones, and in some cases are much more situational. The Cougar and Tross are situational alternatives to their fellows, the Desperado is not necessarily better than the Mag-Shot/Rebel (nor the Inquisitor better than the Repeater/Emperor), the MCG and Jackhammer don't eclipse all LMGs, etc. Even the TORQ is not better than the Cycler in every respect, despite how amazing it is overall. And the AMP/Mag-Scatter/Spiker are all highly gimmicky pistols and for the most part definite sidegrades at best and all pretty lovely at worst.

The new guns that are flat better than previous ones include, like... the Terminus, and the Terminus is merely a gun competitive with the Cycler and TORQ. VS ARs were so dire a straight upgrade was needed for parity, but the Terminus is not OP by any means. And you still have the Mercenary, Orion, and Cycler as examples of default guns that have by no means been entirely replaced by newer guns.
Yes 169 more dps with 715 less DPM with a longer reload, a completely different gun! Lets compare the NS11c to some NC/TR guns i'm sure they will be very similar also!

NS11c: http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/75005 1554 dps, 5005 dpm, 1.85 reload

Zenith: http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/7215 1723 DPS, 4290 dpm, 2.8 reload

Merc: http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/3 1670 dps, 5010 dpm, 1.8 reload

Trac5: http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/43 1788 dps, 5720 dpm, 2.6 reload

Solstice: http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/44 1663 dps, 4290 dpm, 1.65 reload

Hahaha goddamn thats a bad example but wow does the zennith loving pay for that .75 ADS.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

roxxor5678 posted:

Oh, it's not a one hit kill bodyshot.
He's saying that because you can aim at the body and the bullet shoots them in the head. :thejoke:

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005

Nakar posted:

He's saying that because you can aim at the body and the bullet shoots them in the head. :thejoke:

I'm dumb. I was too excited to whine more about what a disappointment the gun is.

roxxor5678 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 10, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the ideal long rifle for a Vanu infiltrator?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

None of them. Don't play a sniper.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

roxxor5678 posted:

Oh, it's not a one hit kill bodyshot. Two on normal people and still unfortunately up to four on a shielded heavy, just like the normal rifles. And it's stuck with a 6x scope so you can't actually take advantage of its higher muzzle velocity. It has absolutely no redeeming qualities except that it's shiny and makes people mad.

Well, aim at body, bullet comes out and hits head. Close enough! :v:

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame

zeal posted:

What's the ideal long rifle for a Vanu infiltrator?

Parallax is the long rifle but don't snipe, be a marksman and shoot nerds trying to heal and any heavy that has popped their shield from a reasonable distance from your buddies where you can pop darts so they don't have surprises waiting for them. I guess counter-sniping is okay but that is the only okay time to snipe.

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005

Westy543 posted:

Well, aim at body, bullet comes out and hits head. Close enough! :v:

Yeah sorry, I'm dumb and missed the joke. I thought you were referring to how the directive sniper rifles have higher max damage than the ones they're based on (I think it's 750 up from 700).

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is sniping so looked down upon in PS2?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Cause its dumb and useless

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

zeal posted:

Infils get powerful scanning tools that you can only use in relatively close proximity to the enemy and they massively benefit your teammates, if you're playing mountain wookie you're not helping your team. Plus, hacking terminals can be pretty great too, which you can't do 300m away on your perch.

I guess to answer your question, the Parallax is the easiest rifle to get long range kills with, but if you want a bolt-action rifle that you can use while in the thick of things with your team, get the Ghost. It cycles faster and has a faster reload, making it great for close ranges where you can use your scanner dongs and darts.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 10, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Horizontal Tree posted:

Cause its dumb and useless

Kind of like flying aircraft

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

zeal posted:

The game is more about area denial rather then killing individuals, you can kill 300 people while they kill 700 of your people because your not helping your allies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ELW_FBWdk

Man why cant we have coms like this? BOOP, we are about to put this FOOTzerg in the STABLES! BEEP.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Westy543 posted:

Kind of like flying aircraft

But at least that ones fun!

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Because snipers do not complete objectives, the kill rate is slow compared to most other means, most snipers are bad and don't target specific classes, it discourages teamwork, and to rephrase it snipers do not go after the objectives instead preferring to sit and camp. We fight the NC and constantly they have 10-20 snipers outside the base shooting away while we actually take the point from them due to NC starting sniper rifle being a bolt action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay. What's the ideal mid-range upgrade from the Orion for a Heavy Assault, then?

• Locked thread