Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mario Reindeer posted:

Yeah, you're right.

Except for the part where Tiyuri repeatedly made promises about content in the game and content to be included in the game, then when his customers wanted to know when they'd start seeing the things he promised them said "Promises? What promises?"

Talk about selectively forgetful. There are "mockups" on the Steam page, still, that depict content that isn't in the game. They aren't labeled as mockups or preliminary in any way. It's disingenuous to say the least.

Stop and tell me about womb murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

ok forget whatever this post is about i want to know about you punching a baby to death inside the womb

Things got a little out of hand at FistCon 2011

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mario Reindeer posted:

Yeah, you're right.

Except for the part where Tiyuri repeatedly made promises about content in the game and content to be included in the game, then when his customers wanted to know when they'd start seeing the things he promised them said "Promises? What promises?"

Talk about selectively forgetful. There are "mockups" on the Steam page, still, that depict content that isn't in the game. They aren't labeled as mockups or preliminary in any way. It's disingenuous to say the least.

Fish people villages aren't finished yet and you can't craft a Scythe. Jesus tapdancing Christ call the loving police and arrest these Snake Oil salesmen/woman :jerkbag:

RedXII
Dec 4, 2006

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

Magmarashi posted:

Fish people villages aren't finished yet and you can't craft a Scythe. Jesus tapdancing Christ call the loving police and arrest these Snake Oil salesmen/woman :jerkbag:

Fish people villages weren't in the game 8 months ago when they put the game up for sale and still aren't in the game now. But I guess it's ok if your store page has pictures of fish people villages to sell the game on.

I like how whenever you question the features promised and left undelivered broadly you're always asked for specifics and when you give an item specifically from the list suddenly it's "wow how trivial who cares. It's just fish people villages."

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Does right-clicking a stack still pick up half of it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

So my buddies and I were playing tonight, had the server crash, and now our home planet is completely reset :negative:

So that's goodbye to the house that we've spent the last 20 or so hours of gameplay on. Oh well, as good a reason as any to throw in the towel until the next major update.

But!

BUT!

Did you enjoy those 20 hours?

If so, you've made a big mistake because you accidentally got your money's worth. A big mistake indeed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I keep hoping that these 9,000 pages of bullshit are indicative of a new stable release but I'm perpetually disappointed.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Literally Kermit posted:

This is an awesome sounding boss. The real question is how are you going to stop griefers from summoning it from underneath your 1:1 model of Planet Zebes.

How long before it goes anime and turns into a Mecha?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

THE PENETRATOR posted:

ok forget whatever this post is about i want to know about you punching a baby to death inside the womb
Whoa now, that cannot possibly be as important as him bitching about early access games

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else miss the days when this thread was about posting whatever cool mods people were working on and making fun of people who were mad at Chucklefish for getting a puppy? I want those days to come back. :(

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mario Reindeer posted:

Tiy is the devil, I'm an investor, LIED TO US, etc.

I've ignored more goons today alone than I have in the rest of my history here.

Weird that all was well, then suddenly there was a big [BREAKING] [CONSPIRACY] and suddenly poo poo posting galore.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Saxophone posted:

Weird that all was well, then suddenly there was a big [BREAKING] [CONSPIRACY] and suddenly poo poo posting galore.

This entire thread is a shitpost

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Only after redditors opened the floodgates

Remember those halcyon days of modding~ http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592015&userid=76626

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 10, 2014

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Delaio posted:

Such a bully, Tiy :qq:

words have no meaning any more.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Is this game even remotely close to a full release??

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Carwash posted:

Is this game even remotely close to a full release??

We're not even out of the first stage of beta where they're gradually adding stuff. Apparently people have forgotten that bit.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
For a group that gets very upset over the starbound devs being harassed, you people are very quick to jump on some forums-legal dox-lite when it serves your purpose.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

QuantaStarFire posted:

We're not even out of the first stage of beta where they're gradually adding stuff. Apparently people have forgotten that bit.

I haven't been following the game at all nor do I own it. gently caress, this game was on steam almost a year ago :qq:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QuantaStarFire posted:

The most common argument is that it isn't happening fast enough?

I guess?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Potsticker posted:

Hopefully they do away with losing your inventory on death.

I haven't played the game in a few months cause of other games. Is this a joke post or did they seriously change it so you lose your inventory when you die

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I haven't played the game in a few months cause of other games. Is this a joke post or did they seriously change it so you lose your inventory when you die

As far as I'm aware it's no joke and that's what's been happening in the nightlies.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's weird how what very little nightly discussion that actually happens here reads a lot like a rumor mill, for whatever reason.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Devour or Fire posted:

It's weird how what very little nightly discussion that actually happens here reads a lot like a rumor mill, for whatever reason.

to be fair, theres a fair amount of "i tried installing the nightlies and it crashed immediately"

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Devour or Fire posted:

Darklite likes this.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Devour or Fire posted:

All the regular posters have been scared off by the shitposting, so nobody's around to dish out the goods on the nightlies anymore.

Varinn posted:

to be fair, theres a fair amount of "i tried installing the nightlies and it crashed immediately"

Also, this. It really needs to be posted in the OP so people stop posting about it (They'll keep posting about it).

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Macaluso posted:

Yes, in addition to 30% pixel loss, you also drop all of your ores, including coal. They're either completely unrecoverable or they despawn really quickly, though this may be unintended, I don't know. This is on normal difficulty. I have no idea what problem this is trying to solve, but it sucks.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Is that change part of the whole dungeon thing they are currently experimenting with?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mario Reindeer posted:

Yeah, you're right.

you are furiously ignoring the part where this game isn't finished

i guess itd take the game giving you viruses and hardcrashing your computer for people to realize that beta games are not in any way done

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Saxophone posted:

I don't know what it is about threads for games with "star" in their name that bring out the crazies.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Dominic White posted:

Because UI tweaks and quality-of-life features tend to be worked on in the very final stages of development. Right now they're trying to overhaul several central gameplay systems, all of which have knock-on effects on everything else in the game. That's probably a higher priority.

And games tend not to be made available to customers until after the very final stages of development. Trying to argue that Early Access development is similar to traditional game development is stupid because there is a minimum standard of playability expected of a game once you start selling it to people.

endolithic posted:

Yes, in addition to 30% pixel loss, you also drop all of your ores, including coal. They're either completely unrecoverable or they despawn really quickly, though this may be unintended, I don't know. This is on normal difficulty. I have no idea what problem this is trying to solve, but it sucks.

Section Z posted:

Well, I'd assume the reason they'd keep generic 'can't mine X without Y pickaxe' would because Terraria and whatever other digging games do it, and calling it "a sense of progression" when you are screaming at your screen because you've spent the last two hours walking past piles of iron and whatever amounts of silver and gold because you just can't find those first scraps of copper that are "So easy to get you guys." While walking past any platinum or diamonds you'd normally dig up to save for making a shiny new pickaxe later, because you are not allowed to dig plat without gold, and no diamond without plat.

You don't even start off being able to dig up the FIRST TIER progression metal, stone pick can only dig up copper and coal. No Iron, no Silver, no Gold. So before you can make an anvil (because you are not allowed to dig up iron), you gotta hope you find enough copper. This is actually WORSE than usual pickaxe progression, because you don't need to work your way up through an extra pickaxe tier before you can start making an ANVIL in Terraria (plus, you know. Starting with a pickaxe).

Haha holy poo poo why. (Even if the first one is a bug, the second one isn't.)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So Starbound, I'm sure glad they're still working on it and have neither abandoned it or killed themselves because it looks to be shaping up to be a pretty cool game. Especially if they can get ship navigation to have all the features in that mockup picture on the last page.

vv - I probably would have preferred if Tiy got 50 million dollars to make nothing than the Star Citizen dude, but I also didn't get to sell my spare copies of Starbound for triple what I bought them for soooo who knows.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 10, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Starbound or Star Citizen, which is gonna be released first.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Falsum posted:

And games tend not to be made available to customers until after the very final stages of development. Trying to argue that Early Access development is similar to traditional game development is stupid because there is a minimum standard of playability expected of a game once you start selling it to people.

They were forward with the fact that it would be unfinished and still have a lot of work need doing to it before it was ready to go. If you saw that and thought it would be much further ahead anyway, that's your fault for having poor reading comprehension.

Starbound DOES deliver the minimum standard of play ability! You can start it up, progress through tiers, fight bosses, explore worlds, build things, dungeon murder, they even saw to it that modding was taken care of so you don't have to dick about with third party APIs and hacks. From the state it is in now you can get a good feel for how the game is going to work mechanically, and you are deluding yourself if you think other EA games don't use placeholder bits until they can complete those details. It's actually rather stable and polished for what most people would be calling a late Alpha and not a Beta.

edit: Yeah, balls to this. I don't know why I keep forgetting that this is completely pointless and only taking the bait.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 10, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Uh-huh.

The wording in this makes it sound like the game was already near completion and could easily be called a 1.0 release when it was released in Early Access.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

endolithic posted:

Yeah I really don't know what they're thinking with those changes. If there're two things that really don't make sense in a 'craft-em-up on the scale of Starbound, it's an artificially enforced scarcity of resources, and a disincentive against exploration.

Also, it's fun how any time actual discussion about stupid things the devs are actually doing with the game has started up in the last few day there're about four people who're quick to try and change the topic back to incredibly boring "Tiy lied, games died!" bullshit.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Haha, I can't believe this. There wasn't any real incentive to dig into planets what with all ores readily available in the surface, now they want to gate the mining at each and every ore level? Even if you find a resource rich planet you have to keep going back to craft the next pickaxe level every 10 minutes. It really breaks the flow, at least at the earlier levels.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nerdz posted:

Haha, I can't believe this. There wasn't any real incentive to dig into planets what with all ores readily available in the surface, now they want to gate the mining at each and every ore level? Even if you find a resource rich planet you have to keep going back to craft the next pickaxe level every 10 minutes. It really breaks the flow, at least at the earlier levels.

You forgot, increased enemy difficulty the deeper you go. According to the nightly notes. Which I can actually understand the logic of. But digging down still means less enemy spawns than surface "kill you in two hits" enemies because too much dirt and rock in the way for them to spawn so...

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 10, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Aren't the ore levels already gated by requiring you to kill the boss and craft that next tier unlock item? What's the point of preventing you from picking them up on top of preventing you from crafting them, apart from artificially extending the game's duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Falsum posted:

What's the point of preventing you from picking them up on top of preventing you from crafting them, apart from artificially extending the game's duration.

Pretty sure you answered your own question.

Enjoy mining for an hour to get enough copper to make a pick, and then dying from falling in a huge cave and losing it all. :getin:

• Locked thread