Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Is it worth playing the nightly builds or what?

EDIT: I see a lot of the changes are making things a lot slower and harder, is it worth trying these out for myself or should I just wait for things to be finalized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Section Z posted:

Well, I'd assume the reason they'd keep generic 'can't mine X without Y pickaxe' would because Terraria and whatever other digging games do it, and calling it "a sense of progression" when you are screaming at your screen because you've spent the last two hours walking past piles of iron and whatever amounts of silver and gold because you just can't find those first scraps of copper that are "So easy to get you guys." While walking past any platinum or diamonds you'd normally dig up to save for making a shiny new pickaxe later, because you are not allowed to dig plat without gold, and no diamond without plat.

You don't even start off being able to dig up the FIRST TIER progression metal, stone pick can only dig up copper and coal. No Iron, no Silver, no Gold. So before you can make an anvil (because you are not allowed to dig up iron), you gotta hope you find enough copper. This is actually WORSE than usual pickaxe progression, because you don't need to work your way up through an extra pickaxe tier before you can start making an ANVIL in Terraria (plus, you know. Starting with a pickaxe).
so why isn't the matter manipulator your all-around digging tool for everything in this game, again

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Genuinely I remember when I first played the game, saw that item and read the description and more or lessthought, "loving awesome! It's gonna be the one tool I use for everything so I don't have to spend all my loving time switching tools(not to mention crafting them) which are also clogging up my hotbar which could be filled with interesting combat items/building materials. I bet you use just pixels to upgrade this thing's mining speed periodically. What a huge, smart step up for this sort of game."

and then, welp

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

In fairness the nightly update so fast and are used for whatever random testing things or even just ideas that Tiy and crew want to test out. This might include testing ore drop on death for a later implemented "hardcore mode" or something. I'd imagine the feedback from pick progression is going to lead to "yeah that wasn't fun, let's try something else".

The sky is not falling and the devs have shown time and time again they're reading feedback and making changes where needed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

so why isn't the matter manipulator your all-around digging tool for everything in this game, again

That would be pretty cool, or at least making it as strong as a stone pick. Waaay waaay back, when even someone as bad at things as me could easily adjust some numbers, I tweaked my manipulator strength. Because it's little "hits" were more rapid, making it any stronger than roughly the equivalent of a diamond pick would obliterate any placed scenery or containers with the lightest brush of your mouse button.

Also, oh god I forgot about pixels. My biggest stopgap back when I was playing stable was actually pixels. Enemies would always drop so little, same as those little pods. So I'd need to spend a while grinding up more pixels to build stuff for tier progression even though I had twice as much materials or more needed by that point.

Edit: I'm not worried that there won't be some eventual proper (even fully enjoyable) game out of this at some point. But if we can't talk about a lack of stable updates because of nightlies... But can't talk about the parts of nightiles currently implemented that seem lacking... Uh... Well I can see why some otherwise sane people are just frothing at the mouth about empty insanities, because if it is "Disingenuous" to critique the nightly build then gently caress constructive criticism at all and just scream I guess? But that would be dumb.

No reason to go all full "it's a hugbox conspiracy :byodood:" retard, but if "I think dropping basically everything on death and restricting digging, as currently implemented, is silly and unfun" is a no-no that's still kind of questionable. Can't talk about features not yet in the game, can't talk about features that ARE in the game.

vvv IronicDongz have you considered the name CorrectDongz?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 10, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

endolithic posted:

You also can't circumvent any of that by digging around in sand or gravel anymore, because ores will just pop out of existence unless you mine them out with the appropriate pick one bit at a time. I'd almost be okay with the progression system if they didn't do that.
Okay if that's intentional that's actually complete loving garbage. That+the only one ore above your tier thing is a decision which totally revolves around making the game more grindy(and it's already hella 'grind to next tier'). I'm not sure if I can think of something worse than that.

endolithic posted:

Yes, in addition to 30% pixel loss, you also drop all of your ores, including coal. They're either completely unrecoverable or they despawn really quickly, though this may be unintended, I don't know. This is on normal difficulty. I have no idea what problem this is trying to solve, but it sucks.
nevermind

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Section Z posted:

Also, oh god I forgot about pixels. My biggest stopgap back when I was playing stable was actually pixels. Enemies would always drop so little, same as those little pods. So I'd need to spend a while grinding up more pixels to build stuff for tier progression even though I had twice as much materials or more needed by that point.
Reminds me, I still 100% think that you should be able to make any building block out of pixels(and in the other direction, turn almost anything into pixels). That's another thing that would be a cool step forwards for sandbox-y type games, it's a stupid pain to have to go find a specific dungeon and spend hours digging up hundreds of pipe blocks or whatever for a build.

Section Z posted:

Edit: I'm not worried that there won't be some eventual proper (even fully enjoyable) game out of this at some point. But if we can't talk about a lack of stable updates because of nightlies... But can't talk about the parts of nightiles currently implemented that seem lacking... Uh... Well I can see why some otherwise sane people are just frothing at the mouth about empty insanities, because if it is "Disingenuous" to critique the nightly build then gently caress constructive criticism at all and just scream I guess? But that would be dumb.
Starbound exists in a state right now where you can't critique it without people assuming you're some frothing neckbeard who hates the devs(and in the other direction, you can't talk about loving it without people thinking you're a dumb shill-albeit not as much). It's unfortunate because I think it definitely is in a middle ground where it's not as if anyone's getting cheated, and there's good stuff in the game, but at the same time I definitely understand why people are upset.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 10, 2014

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Saxophone posted:

In fairness the nightly update so fast and are used for whatever random testing things or even just ideas that Tiy and crew want to test out. This might include testing ore drop on death for a later implemented "hardcore mode" or something. I'd imagine the feedback from pick progression is going to lead to "yeah that wasn't fun, let's try something else".

The sky is not falling and the devs have shown time and time again they're reading feedback and making changes where needed.

And yet we had this exact discussion about how the matter manipulator (literal space omnitool that is worse than two rocks and a stick) on the first page of this thread

super weird

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Like I understand that there are dumb angry idiots who complain about it, but regardless of anything else Starbound is a game that both has some pretty noticeable problems, and one that when I logged on to play it a couple days ago after not touching it for months, was in my experience virtually unchanged-and also very very similar to how it was a whole year ago. People say "but it's already worth the money!" a lot in this thread, but I genuinely don't feel like it's a worthwhile product at this point in time. I think it's a very unfinished 2d minecraft thing, which is not saying much, and "It has potential" can only carry a game for so long.

I don't know if it's a failing of the early-access model in general or due to problems with Starbound specifically, but either way there are legit reasons for people not to be happy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

Reminds me, I still 100% think that you should be able to make any building block out of pixels(and in the other direction, turn almost anything into pixels). That's another thing that would be a cool step forwards for sandbox-y type games, it's a stupid pain to have to go find a specific dungeon and spend hours digging up hundreds of pipe blocks or whatever for a build.
Starbound exists in a state right now where you can't critique it without people assuming you're some frothing neckbeard who hates the devs(and in the other direction, you can't talk about loving it without people thinking you're a dumb shill-albeit not as much). It's unfortunate because I think it definitely is in a middle ground where it's not as if anyone's getting cheated, and there's good stuff in the game, but at the same time I definitely understand why people are upset.

Yeah, a scenery printer would be cool, if the prices were sane. 50 pixels per block sounds sane for the Portable Printer... At first. Then you realize "Wait, every single one of these blocks costs as much as A BAR OF GOLD". Legos are expensive man.

EDIT: Which reminds me. It costs 50 pixels to print a steel block. Vs 1 Steel bar for crafting 3 steel blocks. Iron Bar is worth 20 pixels, give or take what value you place on 1 coal. Sure then you don't actually need to USE your iron and steel, but still.

Good memories about the game. I was SO loving HAPPY when they introduced the refinery. Every bit helps. I built like, 4 refineries all next to eachother.

EDIT: vvv Did you miss how your dropped ores seem to have a habit of despawning? Also why suicide, Quitting the game means you start in your ship on load (or did they change that?)
Mega Edit: I can honestly see how you'd miss that because then you'd have to pick out the few times it was mentioned between all the insanity.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 10, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The drop stuff when you die thing is just ores, which makes sense. It's to prevent people from suiciding to get back to the surface. You don't lose anything else, apparently.

Now if it wasn't kind of a pain to get back up that'd be another story, but.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Gamerofthegame posted:

The drop stuff when you die thing is just ores, which makes sense. It's to prevent people from suiciding to get back to the surface. You don't lose anything else, apparently.

Now if it wasn't kind of a pain to get back up that'd be another story, but.

Why would you get your character killed when you can just save?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Ernie Muppari posted:

Why would you get your character killed when you can just save?

This is why I said I wasn't sure what problem it was trying to solve. It was already better to just quit and reload, this just makes it even more so. Additionally I found that pixels were much more of a limiting factor once I got to the stage of actually building and decorating, so death was already discouraged enough. This just seems unnecessarily punitive towards death prone new characters.

For the record I know it's a work in progress, but this seems as good a place to give feedback as any. PS the change to sand is still super bad.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 10, 2014

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Falsum posted:

Haha holy poo poo why. (Even if the first one is a bug, the second one isn't.)
I know goons seem to love rushing to defend this game, but there's a whole bunch of really lovely fundamental gameplay elements that are just broken and simply unfun (such as the speed of digging and resource gathering, combat being swingy and imbalanced, etc) and a lot of the updates seem to be making things worse or adding elements that complicate the core issues. I mean there's a reason a lot of people are pissed off and unsatisfied with the game (even if a lot of it is impotent nerdrage) and I get a strong feeling the way the fundamentals have been broken for months now is a huge part of why there's a lot of frustration about the slow development schedule. If things were actually fun right now then nobody would really give a gently caress if it were incomplete.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Section Z posted:

Well, I'd assume the reason they'd keep generic 'can't mine X without Y pickaxe' would because Terraria and whatever other digging games do it, and calling it "a sense of progression" when you are screaming at your screen because you've spent the last two hours walking past piles of iron and whatever amounts of silver and gold because you just can't find those first scraps of copper that are "So easy to get you guys." While walking past any platinum or diamonds you'd normally dig up to save for making a shiny new pickaxe later, because you are not allowed to dig plat without gold, and no diamond without plat.

You don't even start off being able to dig up the FIRST TIER progression metal, stone pick can only dig up copper and coal. No Iron, no Silver, no Gold. So before you can make an anvil (because you are not allowed to dig up iron), you gotta hope you find enough copper. This is actually WORSE than usual pickaxe progression, because you don't need to work your way up through an extra pickaxe tier before you can start making an ANVIL in Terraria (plus, you know. Starting with a pickaxe).

THE PENETRATOR posted:

confirmed worst change 2014
It's loving awful and dumb

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I get their idea behind it but I really do not like it. Even if it's a once-a-character grind, even if there's no longer a chance of getting a starter planet without what you need/requiring you to Kiruna it to pieces.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
The issue is the obnoxious minority looking at a game's turbulent development and launching personal attacks at the developers, spending exponentially more than $15 in effort just to smear the hard-working if naive and inexperienced dev team. That's what sickens me. It seems like it's impossible to voice concern or disappointment without some frothing neckbeard spluttering about promises this and lies that.

It's really loving hard to maintain an objective view of your own work when it's constantly being shat on, and finding helpful, objective feedback is made so much harder when it's surrounded by middle-class white noise.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Asimo posted:

I know goons seem to love rushing to defend this game, but there's a whole bunch of really lovely fundamental gameplay elements that are just broken and simply unfun (such as the speed of digging and resource gathering, combat being swingy and imbalanced, etc) and a lot of the updates seem to be making things worse or adding elements that complicate the core issues. I mean there's a reason a lot of people are pissed off and unsatisfied with the game (even if a lot of it is impotent nerdrage) and I get a strong feeling the way the fundamentals have been broken for months now is a huge part of why there's a lot of frustration about the slow development schedule. If things were actually fun right now then nobody would really give a gently caress if it were incomplete.

I think most of us agree with you.

We just think the OH MY GOD TIY IS STEALING OUR MONEY stuff is dumb as hell.

PS gas the thread

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think most of us agree with you.

We just think the OH MY GOD TIY IS STEALING OUR MONEY stuff is dumb as hell.

PS gas the thread

^This.

This stuff is why you have a beta and beta testers and such. I have full faith that when they game does finally come out most of these issues will be straightened out and the ones that aren't? Well, guess what? the game is SUPER EASILY MODDABLE. I guarantee there will be a mod out to do something else to any feature you don't like.

I would like to reiterate, the sky is not falling. I'm fine with criticisms, hell I'm fine with "this change is lovely, dumb as hell and makes me hate the game." But the "Tiy is a liar and stole our money and LIED about PROMISES and ObamaTiy never did show us a real birth certificate design document so it must not exist!" crap just makes me sad for human beings.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

The issue is the obnoxious minority looking at a game's turbulent development and launching personal attacks at the developers, spending exponentially more than $15 in effort just to smear the hard-working if naive and inexperienced dev team. That's what sickens me. It seems like it's impossible to voice concern or disappointment without some frothing neckbeard spluttering about promises this and lies that.

It's really loving hard to maintain an objective view of your own work when it's constantly being shat on, and finding helpful, objective feedback is made so much harder when it's surrounded by middle-class white noise.

Personally, I find the "heh, IGNORED :rolleyes:" posts to be even more obnoxious than the shitposting, but to each his own

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Does anyone else miss the days when this thread was about posting whatever cool mods people were working on and making fun of people who were mad at Chucklefish for getting a puppy? I want those days to come back. :(

The sand/gravel eating ores thing is a legit bad change that people should be mad about, as is the idea that picks can only collect the tier of materials directly above them. :colbert:

I trust Tiy and co to do the right thing and change it back so that it never sees the light of day in the game proper.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Both chucklefish's loyal fanbase and the vocal shitposters are minority groups, the majority are the people who don't get emotionally invested in the trials and tribulations of a stupid indie dev team and have moved onto any of the several new games in the oversaturated sandbox building genre.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
So, how does the Matter Manipulator work in that context? Are you still able to collect anything really slowly with that, at least?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Thank you to whoever felt it necessary to blow :tenbux: on a redtext for me. I feel truly honored. I think with this new "progression" mechanic shows the game is going nowhere fast, but hey enjoy the grind and lack of modding.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So is this game any good yet or did it get worse while I haven't been touching it? Reading recent posts leads me to believe the second thing, but nerds love to whine so I guess I'm asking what's changed in the past few months.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

bobtheconqueror posted:

So, how does the Matter Manipulator work in that context? Are you still able to collect anything really slowly with that, at least?

The matter manipulator in the current nightly only picks up dirt and stone (very slowly). Anything coal or above will disappear when you try.

Oh, and the matter manipulator now takes up its own special spot rather than a slot in your inventory, which I thought was neat. Can't figure out which hot key it is yet, however.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Slime posted:

So is this game any good yet or did it get worse while I haven't been touching it? Reading recent posts leads me to believe the second thing, but nerds love to whine so I guess I'm asking what's changed in the past few months.

Find out for yourself. http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Whether the tools are substandard or diamond-plated, the actions for digging minerals differ not at all. With this in mind, making tiered gates for mineral extraction seems like an undercooked idea. Plus, being able to sift through loosening gravel and sand for ore is an excellent way of tying together the spectacle of granular spilling with a tangible reward! Now that's some good prospecting!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

So is this game any good yet or did it get worse while I haven't been touching it?

Neither happened. Nothing happened.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Okay, so presumably you only stopped posting because you got the big red text, because it doesn't look like you have it now. So that means you wasted $5 instead of just continuing to post and showing off that someone else was an idiot in for $10.

Including an SA account and the fact you had an avatar before, you're in the hole here more than a copy of Starbound at this point.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
On the nightlies, has anyone not been able to find caves and poo poo that connect from the surface? I've found mining shafts but no caves to go spelunking in :(

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Slime posted:

Its exactly the same as it was last time you played it.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Shnooks posted:

On the nightlies, has anyone not been able to find caves and poo poo that connect from the surface? I've found mining shafts but no caves to go spelunking in :(

I noticed this too, and figured the terrain generator was in flux or something. At least there seems to be more dirt, making it easier to just dig down. :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I had that problem too. Made collecting plant fibre really hard.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's been a while but wasn't pickaxe-tier+1 how Terraria worked?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yes. That's not a good reason for this game to do it though.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Okay, so presumably you only stopped posting because you got the big red text, because it doesn't look like you have it now. So that means you wasted $5 instead of just continuing to post and showing off that someone else was an idiot in for $10.

Including an SA account and the fact you had an avatar before, you're in the hole here more than a copy of Starbound at this point.

It appears a benevolent spirit has solved the problem.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"NIGHTLY RESULTS" kind of implies that the main problems people are talking about have been fixed, but alright

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Gas the thread.

Have Shoehead start a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
If the nightlies are very experimental shouldn't you instead link him to the Unstable?

• Locked thread