Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the posted:

How come when I connect from a new device, Steam tells me that I'm connecting from "SAN JOSE, CA," even though I'm obviously on the East Coast?

Sometimes ISPs assign people to IP addresses in a block of other addresses that used to be for different physical locations, and geolocation services haven't gotten updated yet. For a bit my home connection in Virginia was identifying as being located in Oregon due to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Crankit posted:

I know the US military use drone aircraft, but why don't they use drone boats or tanks?
The short answer is because compared to driving flying is dead easy. There's nothing up there to avoid and even the most rudimentary computer systems can figure out how to draw a straight line between two waypoints and then follow that line. If they lose GPS contact they can either dead-reckon or just maintain altitude and fly in circles till someone tells them to do something else. The areas they get used in are also maximally permissive. ISIS or Al Qaeda couldn't do poo poo about a Global Hawk at 50,000' even if they could spot it.

Ground vehicles are much more complicated. They have to react to things like rocks and trees and people and other vehicles. They live in an incredibly cluttered environment that's full of obstacles and threats. They can't see very far and need to react quickly which means remote control latency is a huge problem. They also have to deal with structures and terrain that block radio signals and can't just enter a holding pattern every time they drive into a narrow street or canyon. Their onboard computer and sensor systems have to be incredibly powerful to cope with their environment.

Watercraft for the most part just don't have missions suitable for unmanned vehicles outside of niche areas like salvage ROVs and target drones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't upload to Youtube much, but I was trying to add a video tonight and it just gets stuck during the "processing". Is this just Youtube being bogged down or am I doing something wrong? the files are MP4 and I have never had a problem with it before.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The short answer is because compared to driving flying is dead easy. There's nothing up there to avoid and even the most rudimentary computer systems can figure out how to draw a straight line between two waypoints and then follow that line. If they lose GPS contact they can either dead-reckon or just maintain altitude and fly in circles till someone tells them to do something else. The areas they get used in are also maximally permissive. ISIS or Al Qaeda couldn't do poo poo about a Global Hawk at 50,000' even if they could spot it.

Ground vehicles are much more complicated. They have to react to things like rocks and trees and people and other vehicles. They live in an incredibly cluttered environment that's full of obstacles and threats. They can't see very far and need to react quickly which means remote control latency is a huge problem. They also have to deal with structures and terrain that block radio signals and can't just enter a holding pattern every time they drive into a narrow street or canyon. Their onboard computer and sensor systems have to be incredibly powerful to cope with their environment.

Watercraft for the most part just don't have missions suitable for unmanned vehicles outside of niche areas like salvage ROVs and target drones.

Also wireless signals don't travel well underwater. So any naval drones would basically be stuck hanging around the surface of the ocean.

There's also the issue that there really aren't that many significant threats to US dominance over the oceans. There are some annoyances like Somali pirates. But there are no other countries that can control the oceans like a U.S. Battle carrier group.

China and Russia are trying to build up their navies, including Russia annexing Crimea because they have wanted that port for hundreds of years.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

NESguerilla posted:

I don't upload to Youtube much, but I was trying to add a video tonight and it just gets stuck during the "processing". Is this just Youtube being bogged down or am I doing something wrong? the files are MP4 and I have never had a problem with it before.

They have to be encoded a certain way or youtube re-encodes it and it can take a long time. Google "handbrake optimize for youtube".

edit:

STEP 1.
Download Handbrake from http://handbrake.fr/ and install it on your computer.
STEP 2.
Run Handbrake:
1. In Handbrake, select a SOURCE file; (that’s the file you want to compress) and click OPEN TITLE
2. ‘Browse’ for a destination where you want the file to be saved to; and you will need to enter a new name for the file (it’s best if you don’t have any spaces within the tile name) and select MP4 as file save type; click SAVE – MAKE SURE THE SAVE AS TYPE IS .MP4 (not .MKV or M4V)
3. Under Output Settings make sure it says “MP4 FILE” and tick “Web optimised”
4. In the presets click on NORMAL and then edit these settings:
Video – change to Quality RF: 21
Audio – change to 128 bits
Advanced – change Reference Frame to 4.
4. Click “ADD” to add this as a PRESET for next time – I saved mine as “YouTube”, so next time I just click on YouTube and all the settings are adjusted.
5. Click the big green “START” button to start the compression process.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 9, 2014

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
This is a reach since no one probably watches Walker: Texas Ranger here but does anyone know what the hell is happening on this clip? (happens around 2:19-2:39)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rgar0ManWw

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Schweinhund posted:

They have to be encoded a certain way or youtube re-encodes it and it can take a long time. Google "handbrake optimize for youtube".

edit:

STEP 1.
Download Handbrake from http://handbrake.fr/ and install it on your computer.
STEP 2.
Run Handbrake:
1. In Handbrake, select a SOURCE file; (that’s the file you want to compress) and click OPEN TITLE
2. ‘Browse’ for a destination where you want the file to be saved to; and you will need to enter a new name for the file (it’s best if you don’t have any spaces within the tile name) and select MP4 as file save type; click SAVE – MAKE SURE THE SAVE AS TYPE IS .MP4 (not .MKV or M4V)
3. Under Output Settings make sure it says “MP4 FILE” and tick “Web optimised”
4. In the presets click on NORMAL and then edit these settings:
Video – change to Quality RF: 21
Audio – change to 128 bits
Advanced – change Reference Frame to 4.
4. Click “ADD” to add this as a PRESET for next time – I saved mine as “YouTube”, so next time I just click on YouTube and all the settings are adjusted.
5. Click the big green “START” button to start the compression process.

NO end to the thanks for this. You are awesome (though it was not me that asked in the first place).

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Generally, how much alcohol does it take to have a significant impact on one's workout?

I've googled this a million times, but all I can find is "alcohol is bad for workouts hurr". I'm looking for quantities.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Raimundus posted:

I've googled this a million times, but all I can find is "alcohol is bad for workouts hurr". I'm looking for quantities.

You're not going to find quantities because every body and every hangover is different.

I've had some great workouts while viciously hungover and I've had some horrible workouts after just a beer or two.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Disharmony posted:

This is a reach since no one probably watches Walker: Texas Ranger here but does anyone know what the hell is happening on this clip? (happens around 2:19-2:39)

Walker Texas Ranger episode 159, "The Lynn Sisters."

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
How do i politely tell my therapist i dont want to work with them any more? Ive only been to 2 sessions

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

gagelion posted:

How do i politely tell my therapist i dont want to work with them any more? Ive only been to 2 sessions

Just tell them straight up that you don't think things are working out for you.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gagelion posted:

Just tell them. For therapy to work there has to be a genuine comfort between the two parties, and therapists are very much aware of that, of course. You won't be the first they'll only have 2 or so sessions with without it working out, and you won't be the last. Likewise, you might go through several therapist before you find the one that works for you.

No worries, they won't take it personally.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
Should i tell them at the next session, or is it appropriate to just call them?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's ok to just call them.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

You really need therapy if you have to ask these questions

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

gagelion posted:

(Why politely?)

Another point is that under most health care plans ongoing therapy sessions are not as covered, or in many cases just not covered at all.

It is a very wtf? thing but ongoing physical therapy is covered when mental/emotional therapy is not.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
There is a Spanish word I hear all the time in movies, to me it sounds like "Commie star" it seems to be a greeting. Is it "Hi"?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Como esta = How are you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to disable Netflix's profiles? It'd be nice not to have to make that extra click.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Schweinhund posted:

Como esta = How are you.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Just give it some time. Depending on the format and quality of the original processing can take up to 8 hours.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

gagelion posted:

If you're that afraid of conflict, just don't schedule any new appointments. If she asks, just say your schedule is busy and that you'll call her back when you have more free time. Then don't call her back.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

hooah posted:

Is there a way to disable Netflix's profiles? It'd be nice not to have to make that extra click.

From Netflix help page :
To delete or edit a profile from the website, click Edit underManage Profiles and then select Delete or make edits.

To delete or edit a profile from the PS3, hover over the profile you'd like to delete or edit and press the triangle button. This will open the edit menu where you can make changes/delete profiles.

To delete or edit a profile from the PS4, press the circle button and then select the profile icon. From this screen you can delete or edit any profile.

On the Windows 8 App you can add additional profiles by selecting the profile icon in the upper right hand corner, then select manage profiles. From this screen you can delete or edit any profile.

Please note, once you delete a profile, the viewing history for that profile will no longer be available.

The main profile on your Netflix account cannot be deleted.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Deadclown posted:

From Netflix help page :

Yeah, I did that a while ago to remove my wife's profile since she was using mine anyway. I just wanted to know if I could avoid having to click on my profile (which is the only one) every drat time.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When did movie theaters stop showing news reels and cartoons and serials in addition to the feature?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

stubblyhead posted:

When did movie theaters stop showing news reels and cartoons and serials in addition to the feature?
Probably when TVs became common.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

stubblyhead posted:

Universal Newsreel and Hearst Metrotone News both ceased newsreel operation in 1967, and were the last major producers of the content. Other producers like the Fox Movietone News, Paramount News and Pathe News had shut down over about 1957-1963.

So that was certainly the last point they could have showed a new newsreel.

The last "new" production in the serial form from any sort of major company was 1956's "Blazing the Overland Trail" from Columbia Pictures - which incidentally made heavy reuse of footage from 3 prior released western serials. While theater owners could still play old serials for a while yet, they were certainly dying past the mid 1950s.

Cartoons in movie theaters for before movies were produced all the way up to now, but have gotten rarer and rarer over time. They were mostly gone from a normal movie program by the late 60s although they held on when paired with other kid's movies for a bit after.

In general, the end of these various very short movie things was replaced by plain double features, as well as by feature movies getting longer in general. Where before many a major Hollywood movie would rarely reach the 90 minute mark when part for a package of stuff that could easily run into its own hour and a half before the movie began, they started expanding out to 2 or more hours, often with a hour-hour and a half B movie to go along with.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The Alamo Drafthouse theater chain (they serve meals and show movies) does a pre-show for the various films they show now, which I suppose is meant to emulate that kind of feel. Before Xmen Days of Future Past they showed clips from the xmen cartoon, various youtube videos, stuff with Peter Dinklage in it, etc. Snowpiercer had some oldschool jello ads, which was amazing once the movie got started and you realized why. It runs for ~30 minutes before a showing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Nighthand posted:

The Alamo Drafthouse theater chain (they serve meals and show movies) does a pre-show for the various films they show now, which I suppose is meant to emulate that kind of feel. Before Xmen Days of Future Past they showed clips from the xmen cartoon, various youtube videos, stuff with Peter Dinklage in it, etc. Snowpiercer had some oldschool jello ads, which was amazing once the movie got started and you realized why. It runs for ~30 minutes before a showing.

Cinebarre up in Seattle (which is a similar chain) does the same thing. They also draw from indie & local short films, too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The last cartoons I recall seeing were a couple of Roger Rabbit shorts. One was released before "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids" and one before "Dick Tracy". There was also a third one I don't recall seeing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Rabbit_short_films

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How is Instagram profitable? There are no advertisements and it's free. And it has like a billion users.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

the posted:

How is Instagram profitable? There are no advertisements and it's free. And it has like a billion users.

What makes you think they are?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
The potential to become profitable is enough to keep stocks trading. Amazon isn't profitable, but investors keep on throwing money at them.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

the posted:

Instagram on its own isn't profitable. It does make money in combination with Facebook though, as advertisers use the Instagram video functionality to post ads to Facebook.

Worth the 1 billion $ investment by facebook..? Probably not.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I am hearing a lot of phrases like
"What can us humans do about..."

To me, the wording should be "What can we humans do about... and how will it affect us"

Please tell me I am right, or correct me if I am wrong because I am beginning to go insane. Thanks.

Fruit Smoothies fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 10, 2014

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I am hearing a lot of phrases like
"What can us humans do about..."

To me, the wording should be "What can we humans do about... and how will it affect us"

Please tell me I am right, or correct me if I am wrong because I am beginning to go insane. Thanks.

You're correct. Take out the word"humans" and it's pretty obvious.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

ladron posted:

You're correct. Take out the word"humans" and it's pretty obvious.

I always thought it was obvious, that's until I started hearing "us" misused all the time. Thanks

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

the posted:

Also Instagram only has ~200 million users. This is to point out that Facebook actually has over a billion active users monthly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Gravity Pike posted:

The potential to become profitable is enough to keep stocks trading. Amazon isn't profitable, but investors keep on throwing money at them.
It's not really good to compare them to Amazon. Amazon was posting 10s of millions of dollars lost with an annual revenue of 75 billion and growing, and that loss was because they are constantly making huge investments in multiple markets. Instigram is losing 100s of millions with only the promise that someday they'll be able to cash in everyone's data to advertisers.