Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Arivia posted:

Isn't sebmojo a goon who's posted in TG? Looks like someone's an idiot.

Haha, someone immediately links that idiot post by seebs where he rails against the "hatchet job" and everyone immediately starts jerkin' themselves off about how everything is being blown out of proportion and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Nerds are the loving worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Fuego Fish posted:

Nerds are the loving worst.

quote:

it seems to me it's mostly 4E obsolescence backlash

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

sebmojo posted:

As far as I can tell most of the brouhaha over Zak S comes from a single mod at rpg.net, Ettin, who was a regular on the Somethingawful D&D thread. So goony shitstirring is, if not a given, at least a possibility.

IT WAS YOU ALL ALONG ETTIN

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Was Ettin really a regular in the D&D thread? Like, Ettin's run a single 4E game that I'm aware of and that was on RPGnet. Beyond that I've never really gotten the impression that he gives that much of a poo poo about D&D in general.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Sebmojo apparently posts on rpgnet to whine about lovely sexists getting banned so I'm guessing that's what that's really about.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
We are all Ettin.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You know what the funny thing is? Well, it's not that funny, but it's a thing that I'm sure absolutely nobody involved in defending Zak S from the slings and arrows of misfortune remembers or acknowledges...RPGnet gave Zak S way, way more slack than the mods at the time were inclined to give posters that thick-headed and lovely. At least twice moderators bent over backwards to write out explicit breakdowns of why Zak's posting was bad and why he was getting probated for it and how they wanted to see him change if he wanted to keep posting.

That virtually never happens, ever. Frankly I was kind of amazed that much effort was being put into trying to rehabilitate someone who, to my eyes, was distinctly uninterested in having any sort of civil or constructive conversation where the other participants weren't constantly fellating his ego but the point is that Zak was extended far more courtesy than a lot of other lovely posters ever receive and at the end of it was utterly unwilling to make the slightest accommodation or acknowledge that maybe he was part of the problem after all. I have never seen someone less victimized more eager to cast himself as a victim before.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Whom should I talk to about becoming Ettin?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Whom should I talk to about becoming Ettin?

My guess, Ettin.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Just publicly disagree with Zak, Pundit or GMS somewhere and you will be absorbed.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Saguaro PI posted:

We are all Ettin.

I thought we were all red_mage.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Was Ettin really a regular in the D&D thread? Like, Ettin's run a single 4E game that I'm aware of and that was on RPGnet. Beyond that I've never really gotten the impression that he gives that much of a poo poo about D&D in general.

D&D clearly isn't anime enough.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah that was years ago

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ettin posted:

i dunno, constantly escalating power levels? villains that are always stronger than the last? sounds anime to me

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

That is what my homebrew is for.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kai Tave posted:

I was in that game and I'm really sad it died because it was fuckin' great.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Froghammer posted:

I was in that game and I'm really sad it died because it was fuckin' great.

I have thought about restarting it but I am not sure 4E is the best system to run a PBP of it, now. I was thinking of 13th Age just because the concept was "a magic item shop where your regular customers act suspiciously like the 13A Icons", but I haven't really settled on anything. Or thought about the game much, honestly. :negative:

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
I still don't get how youall pbp normal tabletop games. You need a system suited to the medium, yo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Catastrophe posted:

I still don't get how youall pbp normal tabletop games. You need a system suited to the medium, yo

Let me guess, you suggest PDQ.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

A Catastrophe posted:

It's not that hard. There are plenty of resources for GM's to display everything the players need, even with very discreet systems like 4E.

Is the format perfect? No, but it's not impossible.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hey Ettin, update your EP PbP.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Okay, dumb question time...

Why do really old forum games have numbers at the top of the posts?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zurui posted:

It was a dark, dark time.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Zurui posted:

It was the old posting convention; it actually sort of helped with pacing and such for some games. DanSTC made not using it probatable because that was weird, and it sort of hung on for awhile after that. I found it useful for organizing large games or for games that had like, a time lapse requirement for recharging abilities or whatever.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

A Catastrophe posted:

I still don't get how you all pbp normal tabletop games. You need a system suited to the medium, yo

Given the lack of well-known* pbp-specific systems, D&D is pretty okay for PBP. Combat** turns are relatively long and there are relatively little back-and-forth between different players. More back-and-forth the higher the version numbers go, but I ran D&D 4E okay with some conditions on triggering powers***.

*) I'm sure there are some I've never heard of.
**) The part that's resolved with mechanics and thus different from other systems.
***) Almost said "moves". AW causes brain damage.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ManMythLegend posted:

It's not that hard. There are plenty of resources for GM's to display everything the players need, even with very discreet systems like 4E.

Is the format perfect? No, but it's not impossible.

Know anything for a hexcrawl? I got a rad idea that might be cool to run on here.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Lightning Lord posted:

Know anything for a hexcrawl? I got a rad idea that might be cool to run on here.

I used the VTT Maptools, and exported pics to waffleimages/imgur. It supported grid and hex overlays as well as icons for tracking statuses on tokens. It was a little cumbersome, but I thought it worked really well overall. It was a lot more clear then the cludged together in MS Paint solution.

I've been out of the game, so to speak, for a while. I'm sure there are probably better options these days. I know there were a few Kickstarters for website based VTT's that would be easier to use, but I'm not sure if any of them turned out OK or not.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Darth Various posted:

***) Almost said "moves". AW causes brain damage.

Sure, but it's the good kind of brain damage.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pretty much any other system these days seems so self-hampering and pedestrian after playing a few *World campaigns. Initiative orders! Writing up detailed stat blocks for NPCs! Rolls that result in "well, you don't persuade her, and nothing happens"!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Pretty much any other system these days seems so self-hampering and pedestrian after playing a few *World campaigns. Initiative orders! Writing up detailed stat blocks for NPCs! Rolls that result in "well, you don't persuade her, and nothing happens"!

:jerkbag:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tollymain posted:

i dunno, constantly escalating power levels? villains that are always stronger than the last? sounds anime to me

Don't forget single fights that can last the entire season session.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't forget single fights that can last the entire season session.

Just introduce a houserule that says characters have to give a little speech every time they use a daily, and shout the name of their encounter powers out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecbTsBMeBy8

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 10, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
There are people who don't do that? :confused:

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

So, I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Are there any PbtA games that could run basically what I watched?

Because I want that in my life.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TheSoundNinja posted:

So, I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Are there any PbtA games that could run basically what I watched?

rogue trader

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheSoundNinja posted:

Dungeon Planet, or just straight up AW with minor tweeks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Run It In GURPS

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't care what you run it in as long as it wipes off its feet before it comes in my house

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What does PbtA stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Literally The Worst posted:

What does PbtA stand for?