Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I still love stealing those old modules and converting them. It's actually a pretty great way to set up a session on short notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I noticed the gargoyle rake in the monster vault. It's a level 5 monster. It gets resist 20 to all damage and +5 temp hp per turn in its stone form (it's also unable to do anything except leave stone form while in stone form). How could a level 5 party expect to defeat this if it goes to stoneform everytime its health gets low? I doubt a level 5 party could consistently deal enough damage to offset the resistance + regeneration. It's not even a solo monster.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
It's not true regeneration - the temporary HP won't stack by rules as written, so it's at most getting a 5 HP buffer. Meanwhile, you can always ready an action to murder it as soon as it comes out of Stone Form.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Belgian posted:

I noticed the gargoyle rake in the monster vault. It's a level 5 monster. It gets resist 20 to all damage and +5 temp hp per turn in its stone form (it's also unable to do anything except leave stone form while in stone form). How could a level 5 party expect to defeat this if it goes to stoneform everytime its health gets low? I doubt a level 5 party could consistently deal enough damage to offset the resistance + regeneration. It's not even a solo monster.

Temp HP never stacks, so it just ends every turn its in stone form with 5 THP. But I'd have to look closer to see just how bad it is.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
From the compendium entry for THP

Not Cumulative: If a creature receives temporary hit points multiple times, use the highest value as its temporary hit point total. Do not add the values together. For example, a creature receives 5 temporary hit points and later receives 5 temporary hit points again before the first 5 were used. It now has 5 temporary hit points, not 10.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Majuju posted:

It's not true regeneration - the temporary HP won't stack by rules as written, so it's at most getting a 5 HP buffer. Meanwhile, you can always ready an action to murder it as soon as it comes out of Stone Form.

Effectronica posted:

Temp HP never stacks, so it just ends every turn its in stone form with 5 THP. But I'd have to look closer to see just how bad it is.

Red Metal posted:

From the compendium entry for THP

Not Cumulative: If a creature receives temporary hit points multiple times, use the highest value as its temporary hit point total. Do not add the values together. For example, a creature receives 5 temporary hit points and later receives 5 temporary hit points again before the first 5 were used. It now has 5 temporary hit points, not 10.

Oh right, that's a lot more reasonable, forgot about temp hp working like that, thanks!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So lets say I'm playing a Shaman. Is there a better/easier way to get the Ritual Caster feat than the feat itself? A multiclass variant, for example? I couldn't see any in the Character Creator that had it, but I might just not have met the prereqs for the right one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Captain Oblivious posted:

So lets say I'm playing a Shaman. Is there a better/easier way to get the Ritual Caster feat than the feat itself? A multiclass variant, for example? I couldn't see any in the Character Creator that had it, but I might just not have met the prereqs for the right one.
If you're Int secondary, there's a wizard MC feat.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Learned Spellcaster (Wizard MC) or Divine Secretkeeper (Invoker MC) both grant ritual casting as well as a free skill training. Both require Wis and Int 13

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Lord of Bore posted:

Learned Spellcaster (Wizard MC) or Divine Secretkeeper (Invoker MC) both grant ritual casting as well as a free skill training. Both require Wis and Int 13

Option C is, of course, Bardic Ritualist (Bard MC), requiring Int and Cha 13 - so less likely but possibly even more useful.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I love Bardic Ritualist, since it not only gives the ability to use rituals, but it lets you use bardic rituals and also gives the bard's 1/tier free ritual per day, which has fun options. I only wish it gave out a choice between Arcana and another ritual skill if you already had Arcana.

Scavanna
Aug 4, 2014
I only ever played AD&D2e, is there any way of needlessly complicating 4e for my own smug satisfaction as DM?

Scavanna fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 9, 2014

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Scavanna posted:

I only ever played AD&D2e, is there any way of needlessly complicating 4e for my own smug satisfaction as DM?
Replace skills with non-weapon proficiencies and say anything that gives you a +1 to a skill gives you like, +3% or +5% to it. Boom, now you're already using a whole different kinda die.

Also if you want you could probably repurpose like bash door % / carry weight and stuff from the old ability score tables and charts. Which could get hilarious at epic tier when a fighter is riding on high-20s Strength. In fact: please do this.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Also if you want you could probably repurpose like bash door % / carry weight and stuff from the old ability score tables and charts. Which could get hilarious at epic tier when a fighter is riding on high-20s Strength. In fact: please do this.

I'll be honest, the jump distance /breaking poo poo /lifting stuff tables in the book are way too tame for my taste so I just ignored/changed them. I want a high level Monk to be able to sense where someone is with his monk-ness and literally punch through a wall to hit him, I want a Fighter to be able to parry a sword the size of a building, and I want a Warden to be able to hit the dragon while wielding an aurochs as a weapon and if you don't I don't want to play my fantasy superheroes game with you. :colbert:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Prison Warden posted:

I want a Fighter to be able to parry a sword the size of a building,
I dunno about the rest, but this one you can definitely do.

And by high levels, it's piss-easy to Kool-Aid Man your way through basically every wall in the game that's actually got a material type from the books, up to and including adamantine, from memory.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Effectronica posted:

Actually, a monster which turns to stone when bloodied, slowly regains HP, then comes right back at you would be pretty cool for a boss fight which pursues the party through a dungeon of setpiece fights before they find a way to turn its regeneration off.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Are there any good map tile libraries for Masterplan?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I had some wererat combats in my game where the map featured dilapidated walls with holes just big enough for rats. The wererats could slip through at will and retreat to regenerate some HP, the PCs would have to take the long way around and find doors or spend the effort busting through the walls. Coupled with a few soldiers guarding the doors it worked perfectly.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Does the Monster Math Cruncher program use the most up-to-date monster math?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

busting through the walls.
that reminds me, one of my players was standing in the corner of a room and wanted to burst trought the wall
*passes check*
*moves*
me: wait, you wanted to burst through THAT wall? I thought you meant the other one
player: yeah
me: that's the outside wall..
player: yeah? i know
me: and you're on the third floor of a tower..

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
There is a legitimate build where you can substitute Acrobatics for Athletics and then Athletics for Strength checks, meaning you can bust through a wall by simply backflipping at it hard enough.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whybird posted:

Actually, a monster which turns to stone when bloodied, slowly regains HP, then comes right back at you would be pretty cool for a boss fight which pursues the party through a dungeon of setpiece fights before they find a way to turn its regeneration off.
Stealing that right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frankosity posted:

Does the Monster Math Cruncher program use the most up-to-date monster math?

Yes. There's an option to turn it off if and use MM math if you hate yourself.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AXE COP posted:

There is a legitimate build where you can substitute Acrobatics for Athletics and then Athletics for Strength checks, meaning you can bust through a wall by simply backflipping at it hard enough.

Like that one 3.5 prestige class that let you substitute any skill for any other skill (Within reason). If you had a DM that ignored that final bit that meant you could Intimidate ropes into tying themselves.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Like that one 3.5 prestige class that let you substitute any skill for any other skill (Within reason). If you had a DM that ignored that final bit that meant you could Intimidate ropes into tying themselves.

that is totally within reason

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Arivia posted:

Yes. There's an option to turn it off if and use MM math if you hate yourself.

Right, thanks. I'm just getting a little confused by the Adventure Tools building things slightly differently. E.G. enemies in the Cruncher seem to get on average +2 higher attack bonuses. What would the reason for that be?

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 11, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kurieg posted:

What prestige class is that? I only know of the Exemplar, which allows you to substitute any skill for a Diplomacy check. Meaning, you could turn people fanatical for you by making sweet backflips (Acrobatics), staring at them (Spot), vanishing from their view (Hide), squinting really hard (Concentration), making Jellybeans (Craft: Jellybeans) or, famously, jumping (see: the Jumplomancer build). Which is hilarious and all, but how do you do that for ANY skill besides Diplomacy?

Please tell me, I want to climb walls by smugly telling the wall I already did it (Bluff) :(

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am a big fan of the Arseplomancer build myself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

What prestige class is that? I only know of the Exemplar, which allows you to substitute any skill for a Diplomacy check. Meaning, you could turn people fanatical for you by making sweet backflips (Acrobatics), staring at them (Spot), vanishing from their view (Hide), squinting really hard (Concentration), making Jellybeans (Craft: Jellybeans) or, famously, jumping (see: the Jumplomancer build). Which is hilarious and all, but how do you do that for ANY skill besides Diplomacy?

Please tell me, I want to climb walls by smugly telling the wall I already did it (Bluff) :(
I don't think "Jumplomncer" is the most famous/infamous Exemplar build by a longshot. Escape Artist.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't think "Jumplomncer" is the most famous/infamous Exemplar build by a longshot. Escape Artist.

Oh yeah, I know that one (see Arseplomancer...). I was just confused because I only heard that particular trick for Diplomacy, via Exemplar ability. Is there some way to substitute other skills that way? Like using Intimidate for Use Rope, as suggested above?

I've been searching, but half of the old Wizard 3.5 CharOp topics haven't survived the journey to the archives, so I haven't found anything so far...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Torquemadras posted:

Oh yeah, I know that one (see Arseplomancer...). I was just confused because I only heard that particular trick for Diplomacy, via Exemplar ability. Is there some way to substitute other skills that way? Like using Intimidate for Use Rope, as suggested above?

I've been searching, but half of the old Wizard 3.5 CharOp topics haven't survived the journey to the archives, so I haven't found anything so far...

It might have been a third party thing but I distinctly remember some rule that let you substitute skills for other skills and it was only the "use common sense" rule that kept it from being magically abusable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kurieg posted:

It might have been a third party thing but I distinctly remember some rule that let you substitute skills for other skills and it was only the "use common sense" rule that kept it from being magically abusable.

Using any almost other skill for Diplomacy (besides another Cha skill) defies common sense, so we're back to square one where Exemplar is a really bad PrC.

As far as I know, Jump is the common Exemplar skill substitute because there are numerous ways to boost your Jump to absurd levels. I don't know if there are equivalent Escape Artist boosts.

But remember rule #1 about theorycraft builds:

quote:

Remember that almost all D&D theorycrafting is based on the stupidest possible quasi-legalistic interpretation of the rules and assumes a DM never steps in and says "that's stupid, no."

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
So, where did the online character builder go? I can't find it from the new and improved dnd homepage.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

wallawallawingwang posted:

So, where did the online character builder go? I can't find it from the new and improved dnd homepage.

You have to replace the "www." in the old URLs with "archive.". It's pretty dumb, but anyway

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/tools.aspx

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Using any almost other skill for Diplomacy (besides another Cha skill) defies common sense

The idea is that you were such an incredibly badass and inspirational jumper/swimmer/acrobat/whatever that you filled other people with admiration and poo poo. It's weird and there are obviously dumb ways to use it that are hard to explain in any sane way, but the concept itself isn't absurd or unbelievable. Look at the emotional impact things like the Olympics and World Cup have on people, the investiture of their hopes and dreams in people and events that probably have smaller inner lives than they do.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Stealing that right now.

I can already see how that would affect my players. "Oh, it turns to stone and regenerates? We bust it into pieces and put the pieces in jars."

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I just want to chime in at this point and say that in my opinion trying to prevent/shut off enemy HP regeneration is the least fun mechanic you can throw to your players.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

theironjef posted:

I can already see how that would affect my players. "Oh, it turns to stone and regenerates? We bust it into pieces and put the pieces in jars."

throw it in a river

there was a manga about that

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rexides posted:

I just want to chime in at this point and say that in my opinion trying to prevent/shut off enemy HP regeneration is the least fun mechanic you can throw to your players.

It depends on how you have to shut it off, and how often. Stuff like a troll's regeneration is lovely because either the PCs have fire & acid at-wills and can stomp all over it, or they don't have them and can only go WELP and beat their heads against a wall for an hour. On the other hand, my home campaign's DM once had us fight an overleveled solo on a huge cave map with ritual circles scattered around. We had to run around dodging minions and activating the circles in order to make the solo weak enough to actually fight and beat. That was a pretty fun fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
As always it depends on your party. Like if you have a creature that has regeneration unless attacked by radiant, the paladin of the party has to decide whether to deal with that or fight the big thing that'd hurt a good chunk of the party. Giving them a hard choice and all.