Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Alabaster White posted:

On the right side of the arena, closer to the fog gate than away from it, there's a little ledge you can jump down into some water. Lure the Graverobber and Varg down there and take potshots at the Graverobber while running back up the ramp over and over until he dies. Then, take out the archer. Not-Havel is a little too tough to take on before you kill the other two, and he's still tough even on his own, so don't choke!

Thanks, I'll try that. Apparently I somehow missed all the bosses so far and only found the optional boss fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks, I'll try that. Apparently I somehow missed all the bosses so far and only found the optional boss fight?

Yup! The other bosses are somewhere else, and are generally easier.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fashion Souls :swoon:

(I had to check out the sword. It's indeed pretty sweet.)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think that's the first female character I've seen that doesn't look like she has a comically small head or ridiculously wide shoulders.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alabaster White posted:

What the hell? Why does Drangleic Castle suddenly have sky and clouds and poo poo? I miss the "onyx castle suspended in an inky black void" look.

Did they finally fix the Lost Bastille and Drangleic then?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm generally of the opinion that a lot of Dark Souls 2 felt kind of tepid. I'm not going to say it's worse or better than 1, because I also have a lot of problems with that game, but either way a lot of areas in vanilla DS 2 I found pretty unengaging.

I just started the DLC, and I must say that while Shulva is a pain, Dragon's Sanctum is loving awesome. As far as I'm concerned one of the best areas in the whole game. It really gave me that claustrophic D&D-style dungeon crawl that I thought the main game was lacking - it's not quite as dynamic as Sen's Fortress in terms of the encounters, but it feels a lot more dangerous and scary. Throwing all those spectral guards in your face was a real dick move, but the moment where you get to the big "revenge" area really made it all worth it; one of the best feelings I've gotten in the entire game.

So yeah, I hope the next two pieces are as good as this.

Holy poo poo Jester Thomas :smith:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I never co-op bosses in my own game and I found the three dudes in the DLC (and in NG+) a very fun fight. What I did was separate the two melees from the archer using the watery areas and took him out first by always getting a few hits in with a fast weapon before the two others reached me, used the narrow bits near the sides to take out the swordswoman and 1v1'd the Havel-wannabe who is fairly easy to backstab when he's alone.

I mean I died several times, once to an instant kill backstab from Havel guy even, but that's what it's all about for me, I don't like pushover bosses in the DS series anyway. It wasn't the most imaginitive boss battle but it was a cool challenge nevertheless.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Two things about Wrathful Axe

The Wrathful Axe does indeed have Faith scaling, but its only a requirement for the special attack. Everything else is merely pure physical. If you're pure STR/DEX its one of the strongest halberds even with no investment in Faith at all

Not true. You must meet all the stat requirements for a weapon or all the damage types take a huge hit.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Hah, ok so this is the first Souls game I play, and I have just heard people bitching about the games being really hard.

And yeah, I was having _major issues_ with the game, but kept persisting up until the boss at the ship in the No-man's Wharf (after tower of flame).

I read stuff online that you were supposed to be able to summon NPCs to help with this, but couldn't get it to work.

Turns out I had done the entire game so far (I was up to lvl 40+) using Champions Covenant, essentially giving myself a pretty hard time. Since people had stated that the game was "very hard", I didn't really understand that I did that to myself.

I had taken out like... 5-6 bosses or something before this... (everything in the prior areas)

I was bitching to myself quite a lot that the game seemed harder than it needed to be. Having one be able to accidentally turn on a almost-NewGame+ seems like pretty lovely game design.

Oh well, at least the game is really easy now that I exited the covenant, so that's nice.

TL;DR: Accidentally played up until Flexile Sentry in Champions Covenant. It loving sucked. Things are ok now.

Buffis fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 10, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm generally of the opinion that a lot of Dark Souls 2 felt kind of tepid. I'm not going to say it's worse or better than 1, because I also have a lot of problems with that game, but either way a lot of areas in vanilla DS 2 I found pretty unengaging.

DS1 was uniformly pretty solid; the bad parts weren't all that bad in comparison, but neither did the real standout areas really knock it out of the park. DS2 seems to jump around in quality a lot, both ways; we have things like the Shrine of Amana that are noticeably, almost aggressively bad, while the really good stuff like the Skeleton Lords and the Iron Keep pull pretty far ahead of the pack. That's arguably to the detriment of the 'mediocre' parts of DS2 as well, since it's very easy for them to be overshadowed.

I think they average out to being at the same level, with DS2 maybe being a little lower. But the variance in quality, as well as the kinda weak start, means that I'd probably recommend DS2 to people less than I would DS1.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Buffis posted:

TL;DR: Accidentally played up until Flexile Sentry in Champions Covenant. It loving sucked. Things are ok now.

Stay in Champ Covenant and get the real Souls experience. You can have one 'first playthrough', so you might as well make it the best one :v:

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Alabaster White posted:

Stay in Champ Covenant and get the real Souls experience. You can have one 'first playthrough', so you might as well make it the best one :v:

Fuuuuuuuck that

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm watching a streamer play DS1 since I haven't played in a year or so and it is soooooo slow compared to DS2. It looks like you're running in mud and the UI is god awful.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm still baffled that people manage to accidentally join that covenant, doesn't it literally ask "Your road will become more arduous, are you certain?" or somesuch when you try to join? What else could that possibly mean except "poo poo is about to get more difficult", even if it doesn't outright state the specifics?

Fake edit: Hell, doesn't the cat also warn you about the exact same thing?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Kanfy posted:

I'm still baffled that people manage to accidentally join that covenant, doesn't it literally ask "Your road will become more arduous, are you certain?" or somesuch when you try to join? What else could that possibly mean except "poo poo is about to get more difficult", even if it doesn't outright state the specifics?

You have to go through three prompts even!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Kanfy posted:

Might beign my own fault for giving zero fucks about the story and skipping dialog aggressively.
TL;DR basically

Probably my own fault but yeah.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Cleretic posted:

DS1 was uniformly pretty solid; the bad parts weren't all that bad in comparison

LOST IZALITH

edit:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No 'probably' about it, mate. As said you have to go through three separate prompts to join the covenant, and you're even given an item that points out you're not a member!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Buffis posted:

Might beign my own fault for giving zero fucks about the story and skipping dialog aggressively.
TL;DR basically

Probably my own fault but yeah.

Souls games are notorious for their lonely feel and lack of dialog, and you choose to do your first playthrough "skipping dialog aggressively".

Way to go, champ.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
"Rush straight to Flexile Sentry and get the Hiede Spear before anything else" trip report: unupgraded 1shots everything in FoFG except for old ironclads and the Heide Knight :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought Dark Souls II was a dick at times because they give you so many bosses that are basically dick moves with guy+little dudes, but DS1 feels like every single corner is built upon being a dick move.

The Gutter was pretty dark with multiple pitfalls and poison statues, it ain't got nothing on the catacomb that's literally too dark to see more than 3 inches unless you have a light source (that is only possible via late-game items or a spell).

I mean ultimately, I'll probably play Dark Souls II more just because it doesn't run absolute garbage. There's no Blight town that literally can't be played unless I stare at the floor because I'll get kicked out for having way too low frames.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Started watching the "Welcome to Dark Souls II" videos from 'A German Spy' (who wrote the official guide? Is that right?) and he starts by recommending the Bandit as the best starting class? :psyboom:

Also finished A Wandering Newbie's blind LP and it was great until the last few videos which, like so many others, were just a diatribe of how DS2 did everything wrong. I hope you at least enjoyed NG+, Newbie :(

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Started watching the "Welcome to Dark Souls II" videos from 'A German Spy' (who wrote the official guide? Is that right?)

One of them yeah, along with EpicNameBro (and of course the usual members of the company)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Fereydun posted:

LOST IZALITH

edit:

Izalith was like, unfathomably bad, but the rest of the game is so good that it kinda makes up for it. I didn't think the poison swamp place was too terrible, especially once you realize it's almost entirely avoidable except for getting to the chaos witch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

I thought Dark Souls II was a dick at times because they give you so many bosses that are basically dick moves with guy+little dudes, but DS1 feels like every single corner is built upon being a dick move.

The Gutter was pretty dark with multiple pitfalls and poison statues, it ain't got nothing on the catacomb that's literally too dark to see more than 3 inches unless you have a light source (that is only possible via late-game items or a spell).

I mean ultimately, I'll probably play Dark Souls II more just because it doesn't run absolute garbage. There's no Blight town that literally can't be played unless I stare at the floor because I'll get kicked out for having way too low frames.

How lovely a computer do you have? Even with my old laptop I could play Dks at a high enough framerate not to get kicked most of the time. Do you have dsfix with the framerate unlocked (and set at 30 since the game is awful at sup-30 FPS).

Verisimilidude posted:

Izalith was like, unfathomably bad, but the rest of the game is so good that it kinda makes up for it. I didn't think the poison swamp place was too terrible, especially once you realize it's almost entirely avoidable except for getting to the chaos witch.

Izalith ain't bad, although it is boring. The second half of the area, the part with the Aztec poo poo or w/e is straight up good imo (aside from BoC of course).

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

I didn't think the poison swamp place was too terrible, especially once you realize it's almost entirely avoidable except for getting to the chaos witch.

It was still ugly as gently caress with generic enemies.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Genocyber posted:

How lovely a computer do you have? Even with my old laptop I could play Dks at a high enough framerate not to get kicked most of the time. Do you have dsfix with the framerate unlocked (and set at 30 since the game is awful at sup-30 FPS).

Yes, I have FP unlocked with settings at 30 using the latest DSfix. DK2 runs perfectly smooth at 60 for me in comparison.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Izalith ain't bad, although it is boring. The second half of the area, the part with the Aztec poo poo or w/e is straight up good imo (aside from BoC of course).

Crystal Caves is still the worst. It isn't hard, but it is a pain in the rear end and there's nothing interesting in it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

At least DkS 2 didn't have a point after an O&S type boss where literally all the remaining bosses were simple and boring, where two of them were redone first bosses. I love the first game, but Lost Izalith, Crystal Caves, and the Tomb of the Giants weren't exactly riveting.

Partyworm
Jul 8, 2004

Tired of partying
Is Jester Thomas some kind of sick joke?

edit: Ok so i finally did it. Biggest "gently caress you" encounter in the game so far imo.

Partyworm fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 10, 2014

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Jesus Christ, if you needed to convince someone the combat in Dark Souls II is wonky in spots you need look no further than Brightstone Cove Tseldora. If I had a quarter for every time a spider/man-spider killed me by hitting me after I loving killed it I could buy the DLC. I ended up nuking everything between the second bonfire and Freja with Dark Orb to keep those wonky-rear end hitboxes at bay.

In better news, I got all four souls! Drangleic Castle is so loving metal :black101:.

Random questions:
-How far through the game am I if I just got to the first Drangleic bonfire? I'm guessing 2/3rds to 3/4ths?
-I picked up a Titanite Slab from the Prowling Magus, but I still need three Titanite Chunks to get my +8 Mace to +9 in order to use it. Anywhere I can toss a Bonfire Ascetic or otherwise quickly get a few of those?
-Should I be hanging onto those special souls I got from the Primal Soul bosses, or eating them? I used one to get the Old Iron King Hammer, but none of the other weapons interest me. I've heard there's a boss that gets harder if you don't have them?

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 10, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popular Human posted:

-I picked up a Titanite Slab from the Prowling Magus, but I still need three Titanite Chunks to get my +8 Mace to +9 in order to use it. Anywhere I can toss a Bonfire Ascetic or otherwise quickly get a few of those?
-Should I be hanging onto those special souls I got from the Primal Soul bosses, or eating them? I used one to get the Old Iron King Hammer, but none of the other weapons interest me.

You can go do some Bellbroing to get chunks.

If you don't want the weapons they can be turned into, you might as well eat the souls. Worst case you can CE one in later if you change your mind I guess.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Popular Human posted:

Jesus Christ, if you needed to convince someone the combat in Dark Souls II is wonky in spots you need look no further than Brightstone Cove Tseldora. If I had a quarter for every time a spider/man-spider killed me by hitting me after I loving killed it I could buy the DLC. I ended up nuking everything between the second bonfire and Freja with Dark Orb to keep those wonky-rear end hitboxes at bay.

It's kind of their thing that they get one final attack in when they die. Don't kill them from the front.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cleretic posted:

we have things like the Shrine of Amana that are noticeably, almost aggressively bad

Actually shrine of amana is cool and good, in my opinion

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

The Catacombs are pretty bright, do you mean the Tomb of Giants? You're supposed to have a light source handy there, there's one by the first bonfire (this is one of the very few areas with multiple bonfires) but you can get one a few other ways as well (the necromancers drop their lantern, the maggots in the side entrance to Lost Izalith drop a cool hat, and there's the Cast Light Spell off the top of my head). Blighttown isn't that bad for me, it drops frames it'll hit like 20 fps or something at worst.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Partyworm posted:

Is Jester Thomas some kind of sick joke?

edit: Ok so i finally did it. Biggest "gently caress you" encounter in the game so far imo.

You gotta admit it was pretty cool though.

He even does a gesture when you die. From knows its fanbase.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Actually shrine of amana is cool and good, in my opinion

Having just gone through it for the first time since launch, it's gotten better. You're still just going on way too long fighting the same three enemy types, though, and it gets boring. If they had made it shorter or maybe cut the enemy count by 5-10, I don't think there would be as much complaining. It's just one of those areas that tests your patience, because you know it's not hard, but you still have to take it really slow.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would probably dislike Amana more if it wasn't so pretty.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Going slow is what causes all the problems in the first place, get on those shallow pathways and rush everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Cleretic posted:

DS1 was uniformly pretty solid; the bad parts weren't all that bad in comparison, but neither did the real standout areas really knock it out of the park. DS2 seems to jump around in quality a lot, both ways; we have things like the Shrine of Amana that are noticeably, almost aggressively bad, while the really good stuff like the Skeleton Lords and the Iron Keep pull pretty far ahead of the pack. That's arguably to the detriment of the 'mediocre' parts of DS2 as well, since it's very easy for them to be overshadowed.

I think they average out to being at the same level, with DS2 maybe being a little lower. But the variance in quality, as well as the kinda weak start, means that I'd probably recommend DS2 to people less than I would DS1.

This is the complete opposite of how I feel vis-a-vis Dark Souls 1 and 2's level design. I think 2 is a much more consistent game overall, where 1's lows are significantly lower than the lows of 2 and its highs were higher (at least, it has more highs than 2 does, considering that I think Shulva is easily as good as Oolacile,) I mean, what, 2's worst area is Shrine of Amana? That's not even close to Lost Izalith, and I'd say Crystal Caves too. On the other hand, I can't really say that there's an area in 2's base game that I really, actively love like I do with Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo.