Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Trails in the Sky - should I be upgrading my equipment at shops or should I rely on treasures? Money seems really hard to come by and I don't want to waste it if I have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Playing through Lunar Silver Star Story (PS1 version) and I absolutely love how your party members will respond to what even minor NPC characters say, which is actually pretty unusual in most RPGs I've played. Usually either the NPC will say something and there will be no response at all, or any response just comes from the main player character.

Trails From the Sky also did this, which is what I think helped that game and Lunar have such memorable characters.

What other RPGs do this?

A more recent example, Divinity: Original Sin does this. During major conversations the two player characters will actually argue with each other. During co-op you can rebuff the other player's decision. If you're playing single-player you can roleplay the opposed conversation which changes the player characters' personality.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, E&L's alchemy system was so fun even if it was easy to break. The older alchemy system gets better once you have a bit of practice with it but it just isn't as fun.

I'm really not liking how dependent on getting high quality ingredients I am without any way to really influence it like you could with alchemy skills. It's especially annoying because I'm trying to break a boulder in these stupid mines and I can't get the ingredients I need to make the proper quality bomb high enough. :argh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bussamove posted:

I'm really not liking how dependent on getting high quality ingredients I am without any way to really influence it like you could with alchemy skills. It's especially annoying because I'm trying to break a boulder in these stupid mines and I can't get the ingredients I need to make the proper quality bomb high enough. :argh:

Hah, you're at pretty much the same place I am. I haven't played an Atelier game since Iris 2 or Mana Khemia, but I'm enjoying this well enough. The pace is fast but the crafting inventory is kind of a mess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Honestly, worry less about quality and just go up a step to Balloon Bombs or whatever they're called. Those solved pretty much all my problems when it came to that part.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Levantine posted:

Trails in the Sky - should I be upgrading my equipment at shops or should I rely on treasures? Money seems really hard to come by and I don't want to waste it if I have to.

Equipment is basically the only thing money can be spent on, so not buying equipment to save money is pretty much pointless.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, worry less about quality and just go up a step to Balloon Bombs or whatever they're called. Those solved pretty much all my problems when it came to that part.

I want to say that Cute Bomb versions of Balbombs can't quite blow up every dumb rock in your path. Scary Bomb versions can though, and Hom can make some eventually if you focus on quality while they're being made. If it's specifically for the big blocked off section halfway through the mine, a Bomb Bag made with decent ice bombs to get the Spike-Filled trait should be enough to at least let you access the rest of the mines areas. Hagel should be able to make them both of them you open up the Wholesale option, but opening up Wholesale for him and Pamela is a gigantic pain in the rear end.

gently caress the rock breaking mechanics in Rorona Plus though, they arbitrarily stupid and they're pretty much holdovers from the PS3 original, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

Money's really hard to come by but only because, like Cake Attack said, all you have to spend it on is equipment. The idea's that you prioritize who gets what every time you hit a new town and then upgrade the others as you get more money.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

Equipment is basically the only thing money can be spent on, so not buying equipment to save money is pretty much pointless.

Endorph posted:

Money's really hard to come by but only because, like Cake Attack said, all you have to spend it on is equipment. The idea's that you prioritize who gets what every time you hit a new town and then upgrade the others as you get more money.

Ok, thanks guys. I was starting to feel a bit paper thin trying to do extra stuff (like that chest battle in chapter 1) so I spent about half my money fully upgrading Estelle and Joshua. It definitely made a difference. I didn't want to spoil myself with a walkthrough or something to see if gear dropped in dungeons.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 9, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'll likely be starting Trails in the Sky soon too. Any 'know before I play' tips would be appreciated.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Levantine posted:

Ok, thanks guys. I was starting to feel a bit paper thin trying to do extra stuff (like that chest battle in chapter 1) so I spent about half my money fully upgrading Estelle and Joshua. It definitely made a difference. I didn't want to spoil myself with a walkthrough or something to see if gear dropped in dungeons.

The only thing else you might want to be spending money on is if you want to collect all the recipes or something. Little point in that unless you want the achievement, or you feel like getting 100%. Presumably you don't, so yeah, just pretty much spend money on equipment. You can also find equipment in chests that's usually better than what you can buy at a shop that chapter, but there's only one or two chests like that per chapter, and they don't give you weapons/armour for all your characters anyway, so there's not much point in avoiding buying equipment.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Levantine posted:

You can skip getting some pieces of gear if you can handle dungeons you're meant to tackle later on, but there, the gear is in chests which spawn monsters.

You also may as well not bother buying anything for Agate since he rarely stays in the party long.

BadAstronaut posted:

I'll likely be starting Trails in the Sky soon too. Any 'know before I play' tips would be appreciated.

Before I play

On top of that, I recommend that you check each new store you reach for new food. Eat it and you learn the recipe. Most of the recipes require drops from monsters, but there are some which you can make from purely store-bought ingredients, which are the most useful. Maybe also make a few foods that can cure status effects.

Other than gear, the rest of your money should be spent buying ingredients, so you can heal up using items, which is better than using healing arts in combat for many reasons: It's faster, heals immediately instead of later, and saves EP.

Save often, you get 1000 save slots, so go wild. You can follow along with the LP as a guide to not miss things.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Bravely Default is still pretty sweet. I'm a ways into Chapter 3 now and so far, so groovy. The difficulty has been solid, and I'm amazed that I have not even yet acquired all of the game's jobs. I am getting close to finally maxing out the first jobs of each character. So far I've been experimenting with giving everyone a set of roles:

Tiz is my healer/support character, which largely means White Mage. He's got some Time Magic to supplement that, although somehow Ringabel has ended up ahead of him in that department. Now I'm trying to boost up his Red magic too, but his primary offensive ability comes from Summoner, of which he's the only one with any levels. He's getting stronger as a black mage too though.

Agnes is glass cannon damage dealing, which started out as Monk but as soon as I unlocked Ranger she's basically never taken off her fursuit. Is Ranger supposed to be the best class or something, because it sure as hell feels like the best class. She's also got the most levels in Thief, and she doesn't have any real magic levels.

Ringabel is offensive mage, which has kept him persistently busy. He's the highest Freelancer, he's about to max out Black Mage, he's got high Time Mage levels, Red Mage levels, he's the only one who has any levels in Merchant (which seems to be a very useless class) and basically he just smashes motherfuckers with strong magic attacks.

Edea is a Knight first and foremost, and that makes her the best Spell Fencer as well. She's got decent levels in monk, she's got a few levels in Valkyrie (which I don't really care much for) and any other physical offensive-based class as well. At the moment, she's sort of lacking in damage compared to the versatility of Ranger Agnes and the Magic Boys, so I'm trying to boost her Knight levels to max and then carry her down Spell Fencer.

I'm in Eisenburg, haven't gotten any of this latest batch of Asterixes so I don't know how I'll play those. Everybody's around level 33. Any advice on classes I should boost up? Useful skills I should acquire? I'm specifically in the Mythril Mines, currently doing the Bard sidequest though. Should I stick with Valkyrie more? Should I train more people in Ranger? Is Merchant only good for dapper hats?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valkyrie and Time Mage can completely shatter the game if you level both of them up, but not really in a fun way and unfortunately Valkyrie kinda trails off if you don't do that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
At higher levels, Merchants get a thing that just straight up gives you infinite money. It requires setting up an in-battle infinite loop though, and its not really needed anyway since I never had any money issues without it.

Also, yes, totally use Ranger. It's basically the best job that doesn't involve multi-class techniques for a longass time, because Bows are really good.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011

Levantine posted:

Basically if you're doing every sidequest by the time you get to the next chapter you should have enough cash to upgrade both Estelle and Joshua completely. The only exception is probably the final chapter where you might need to sell some septium.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Valkyrie and Time Mage can completely shatter the game if you level both of them up, but not really in a fun way and unfortunately Valkyrie kinda trails off if you don't do that.

I fully intend to max out Time Mage. In general, though, is there any reason to double up on jobs for anybody? Based on how I'm leveling my characters, should any of the upcoming jobs be prioritized? And lastly, what makes Valkyrie so game-breaking at the end?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I fully intend to max out Time Mage. In general, though, is there any reason to double up on jobs for anybody? Based on how I'm leveling my characters, should any of the upcoming jobs be prioritized? And lastly, what makes Valkyrie so game-breaking at the end?

There's a specific passive skill you get at top-rank Time Mage that alters the flow of BP in battle. If you combine that with Valkyrie's Jump ability you can literally set the game to auto-jump and be effectively invincible to a huge percentage of battles in the game, including the optional super-boss.'

Many jobs are very powerful and having more than one of the same job can amplify their either literally (Black Mages) or figuratively (a team of entire ninjas are basically gods against anything with mostly physical attacks.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BottledBodhisvata posted:

There are a lot of very good asterixes you won't have yet. Ninja is extremely useful as a secondary and for its support skills, for instance. Spirit healer + white mage secondary is the most broken healing set in the game (spirit healers don't have direct healing but they have amazing party wide support skills.)

The least useful in my experience are summoner, conjurer and arcanist. Those three really aren't good at all due to being extremely situational.

EDIT: \/ pirate is an okay secondary/support skill kit for physical characters but it's also on the lower end of the scale.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 10, 2014

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I found Pirate to not be all the great either, it kind of just isn't very good at much without being dependent on combos from other classes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mokinokaro posted:

There are a lot of very good asterixes you won't have yet. Ninja is extremely useful as a secondary and for its support skills, for instance. Spirit healer + white mage secondary is the most broken healing set in the game (spirit healers don't have direct healing but they have amazing party wide support skills.)

The least useful in my experience are summoner, conjurer and arcanist. Those three really aren't good at all due to being extremely situational.

EDIT: \/ pirate is an okay secondary/support skill kit for physical characters but it's also on the lower end of the scale.

Conjurer is bar none the best grinding class in the game. It's the only reason maxing out job levels is reasonable.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

SorcerousHam posted:

Basically if you're doing every sidequest by the time you get to the next chapter you should have enough cash to upgrade both Estelle and Joshua completely. The only exception is probably the final chapter where you might need to sell some septium.

You get an ungodly amount of cash from each tournament tier so you technically don't even have to do that.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 20, 2021

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 4, 2018

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Friendly Factory posted:

So I picked up Trails and was enjoying myself after the slow start but I just hit the homophobia part. The first time Olivier shows up I felt loving awful reading the script. So I looked it up online and the general consensus is that this scene is completely out of place with the rest of the game. So okay, I start playing again. Two scenes later, they're still calling his advances "questionable humor" and "perverted". Please tell me I won't have to put up with this for much longer when playing Trails. It's killing me.

Ouch, I'm not that far yet but it sounds like a polar shift in the tone of the game. I just got to Boze and it feels reminiscent of Grandia (the original).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Friendly Factory posted:

So I picked up Trails and was enjoying myself after the slow start but I just hit the homophobia part. The first time Olivier shows up I felt loving awful reading the script. So I looked it up online and the general consensus is that this scene is completely out of place with the rest of the game. So okay, I start playing again. Two scenes later, they're still calling his advances "questionable humor" and "perverted". Please tell me I won't have to put up with this for much longer when playing Trails. It's killing me.

He's treated that way throughout the game. It's interesting that they created what I'd call a very likeable character by accident, since apparently we're supposed to be grossed out by his bisexuality.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jesto posted:

Anyone playing Secrets of Grindea and not over in thread? It's a little bit lonely over there. :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626267
It's just hard to get excited about one of those iterative games that doesn't look like it'll be finished for like another year. What's there looks perfectly playable I suppose.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Wendell posted:

He's treated that way throughout the game. It's interesting that they created what I'd call a very likeable character by accident, since apparently we're supposed to be grossed out by his bisexuality.
Wow. Olivier is pretty much one of my favorite characters in the game. He's just so camp and doesn't seem to take anything overly seriously. We were supposed to be disgusted? I had no idea. I still have trouble seeing it.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 4, 2018

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You're obviously supposed to like Olivier, don't be silly.

The first scene he shows up is probably the only one I'd really call insensitive? Most of the time the rest of the cast is mainly reacting to the fact that he's a pretty over the top kinda guy, the kind who gets arrested for drinking a bottle of wine that costs more money then you'll ever have in the game, like 10 minutes after you part ways with him to use an example that happens about midway through Chapter 1.

I mean, I can't say you shouldn't be offended because that's dumb, but he's basically just the same kind of character as Ringabel.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wendell posted:

This is exactly how I feel about Kanji in Persona 4. The kid is insecure about his gender identity but everyone (and by everyone I mean Yosuke) rags on him constantly. I'm just waiting for there to be a dialog option that's like "Hey Yosuke? Shut the gently caress up man, this is why Saki hated your loving guts." but it never comes.

For a game that's otherwise decently written, I can't tell what the writers want me to feel about this character even though I think he's the most likable. I guess you can write it off as them being jerk rear end kids but this was handled so much better in Catherine where it's revealed Erica is an mtf and the characters treat her no differently than they do each other.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

For a game that's otherwise decently written, I can't tell what the writers want me to feel about this character even though I think he's the most likable. I guess you can write it off as them being jerk rear end kids but this was handled so much better in Catherine where it's revealed Erica is an mtf and the characters treat her no differently than they do each other.

Yosuke is an rear end. It's obvious you're supposed to see him that way. Though his treatment of Kanji is pretty awful due to Japanese social norms.

As for Catherine, there's the bit with the one character being upset because he slept or wanted to date her, but at the same time it's understandable to be a bit weirded out when you find something like that out and it doesn't really affect how he treats her after.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Yosuke is an rear end. It's obvious you're supposed to see him that way. Though his treatment of Kanji is pretty awful due to Japanese social norms.

As for Catherine, there's the bit with the one character being upset because he slept or wanted to date her, but at the same time it's understandable to be a bit weirded out when you find something like that out and it doesn't really affect how he treats her after.

Not only that, but none of the characters rag on him for it beyond the initial shock. It's like "Oh, you had sex with her!? Okay, whatever back to our liquor trivia and weird dreams."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

There are also a lot of characters in Trails that basically go "because you're a ~*girl~*," but I'm fairly certain they're all bad guys. But yeah, that Olivier part was really uncomfortable, doubly so since everyone gets on him for hitting on a guy, but not for hitting on a 16 year old.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
16 is legal age in Japan, that's why.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Olivier is literally the best character in the game, you babies. :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rascyc posted:

It's just hard to get excited about one of those iterative games that doesn't look like it'll be finished for like another year. What's there looks perfectly playable I suppose.
As long as you're host. The game doesn't do client-side hit detection, so if you're connected to someone else, it's next to impossible to get a perfect block--hell, it's hard to even avoid attacks. It's one of those things where you know the devs played too many competitive arena games where client-side hit detection is detrimental to everyone in case of hackers, but not enough actual co-op games where client-side hit detection is preferable for everyone to have the same enjoyable experience.

Plus it tracks the position of every projectile individually rather than telling the clients "run this attack pattern," so when you fight bullet hell bosses, the host is trying to send literal megabytes of positional data to the clients. Everything just freezes up and then you suddenly get hit a dozen times and die. Imagine Left 4 Dead except you get thrown across the map by an invisible Tank because the host's game thinks it's still alive. A very bad design decision.

The good news is that it's fixable! The bad news is I get the impression the devs won't bother.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, I think they're calling Olivier a pervert because he's constantly hitting on most everything with a pulse, not really because he's bi. The same character exists as a straight dude in a lot of games - Ringabel in Bravely Default, for instance - and is treated about the same way. Joshua's deadpanning to his advances because he isn't interested and it's over the top, not because the dicks might touch. People deadpan when he hits on Schera too. I never took it as you having to be disgusted by his bisexuality, I always took it as him being a goofy flirt. If they really wanted this guy to be disgusting and shameful or whatever, they wouldn't have made him a main party member who appears multiple times throughout the game and helps the main characters at several points.

I mean, intent isn't everything and I could see taking the scenes a weird way, but they pretty clearly mean for him to be a likable goof.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 10, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Pretty much everything Endorph says. Olivier is a Pervert and a Drunk and people snarking him has nothing to do with his sexuality. That initial line from Estelle plays as a relatively sheltered person's shock at meeting someone like Olivier, but after that point it's just the same as everyone else.

Plus we all know Olivier's true lust is for Love and Peace, Baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wendell posted:

I don't even remember him being bisexual. How did I miss this?

Zaggitz posted:

Pretty much everything Endorph says. Olivier is a Pervert and a Drunk and people snarking him has nothing to do with his sexuality. That initial line from Estelle plays as a relatively sheltered person's shock at meeting someone like Olivier, but after that point it's just the same as everyone else.

Plus we all know Olivier's true lust is for Love and Peace, Baby.
Yeah this is how I remember him. Token anime flirt.