Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mahoning posted:

Let's face it, it was probably just a horrible combination of Stewart intending to scare the kid, and the kid stepping right into the path where Stewart intended the car to go, not knowing that Stewart was going to gun it and fishtail the car. That doesn't absolve anyone of blame, but it likely explains how this might have happened.

This is my take on it. Two very poor decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

This is my take on it. Two very poor decisions.

The more I think about it, yeah. Seems like a perfect storm sort of thing. There's no way this would end in a no-fault civil case, would there? Tony's going to get boned six ways from Sunday no matter what.

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That's not inaccurate

Yeah, I don't see anything about the article that's incorrect.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Argh, what a tragedy. Life sucks sometimes.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Rand McNally posted:

The more I think about it, yeah. Seems like a perfect storm sort of thing. There's no way this would end in a no-fault civil case, would there? Tony's going to get boned six ways from Sunday no matter what.
It's definitely a lot easier to win some money in a civil trial than it usually is for a DA to secure a conviction. Tony might just decide to settle with the family, depending on what the police investigation ends up finding.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Do these guys have some kind of insurance policies for racing? Do they sign any kind of consent forms prior to a race? Does getting out of your car and approaching another negate any of that coverage?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

quote:

"There aren't words to describe the sadness I feel about the accident that took the life of Kevin Ward Jr. It's a very emotional time for all involved, and it is the reason I've decided not to participate in today's race at Watkins Glen. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and everyone affected by this tragedy."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Do these guys have some kind of insurance policies for racing? Do they sign any kind of consent forms prior to a race? Does getting out of your car and approaching another negate any of that coverage?

a lot of people who race at that level not only have no insurance but also go into debt to race

Gargoyle
Feb 2, 2014
Alrighty.

First off, we need to remember that there was no accident between Stewart and Ward. Let me repeat this, there was no contact between the two cars. Tony rode into T1 lap 14/25, where the track starts to get dry inside, and Ward didn't back off for fear of losing 2-3 spots over the next few laps. As a result Ward clipped the outside T2 wall and did significant damage to his car. Immediately after his car came to a rest, he unbuckled his safety harness and proceeded to look down the track pointing his finger at an oncoming car. After 3 or 4 cars pass him on foot as he made his way down the track at the same time the camera pans left. As the Camera is panning right it's pretty obvious, at least in the slow-motion video, that Ward had just finished stepping inward. Stewart either got on the brakes (Throwing his rear around) or hit the gas (Throwing his rear around, which we don't know because lol Iphone microphone recording all noise from the front stretch engines, 15-20 cars on track)

In stock car racing nothing would have happened. That is why you see this poo poo happen at Bowman Gray. It is unacceptable and taboo to do this on a dirt track.

Tony is not a guilty or innocent party. Ward is not a guilty or innocent party. There are no charges being filed, and it is being investigated as an on track racing incident.

That's all we know.

Tragedy happens youknow? Why can't we just have tragic accidents? Do we need social justice from this poo poo?

Also a little something about Ward, youknow, the person who was killed and whose family has to deal with ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN, NBC Sports, ESPN, FOX Sports, Buffalo news, Rochester news, Syracuse news, NASCAR, all while coming to grips that their child died in an accident that was very easily preventable.

Should the safety crews gotten there faster? Was he expecting Tony's car to stop so he could fight with him on the track and get 1,000,000 views on youtube? He was 20, we have no idea. It seems to me he was a hardworking kid and emotions won over a 20 year old. These things happen all the time outside of racing, where young teens and early adults make very bad decisions the moment after they make them, either it be drinking and driving, running from the police, speeding on a highway and killing you and your friends after Prom.

I just wish someone was there to yell at him to get back in his car.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gargoyle posted:

In stock car racing nothing would have happened. That is why you see this poo poo happen at Bowman Gray. It is unacceptable and taboo to do this on a dirt track.

is it really? i mean, i know it's already stupid to do this in a late model race, and about a million times dumber to do it in a sprint or mods race, but don't people do this anyway?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Gargoyle posted:

Stewart either got on the brakes (Throwing his rear around) or hit the gas (Throwing his rear around, which we don't know because lol Iphone microphone recording all noise from the front stretch engines, 15-20 cars on track)

I'm not one to jump on people for a "let's be reasonable" attitude, but it's very obvious that he gooses the throttle from the behavior of the car (and the numerous eye-witness reports)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

is it really? i mean, i know it's already stupid to do this in a late model race, and about a million times dumber to do it in a sprint or mods race, but don't people do this anyway?

it's more of an open wheel/fender thing than a dirt/paved thing IMO

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm finding myself in the camp of "extremely unfortunate accident" at this point but trying to absolve Stewart of blame completely is really whitewashing the incident.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

CBJSprague24 posted:

There was already a 3. :eng101:

There was not, you shut your goddamn mouth, it never happened and Jackie Gleason's career was flawless.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm not gonna even say he wasn't trying to scare the kid, but people are swinging so far to one direction there's gotta be some argument otherwise

I just wish the kid stayed in his car

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

The 20 year old kid emulated what he's seen on TV, and jumped out of his car and began approaching vehicles designed for speed travelling very fast on a dirt track. No matter how fast the reflexes are of the other drivers, if you're approaching a vehicle with all of those factors at play, you risk getting hit.

It's immeasurably tragic, but at the end of the day, your chances of getting hit by oncoming traffic are a lot lower if you stay buckled in your seat. I don't know if Stewart intended to "scare" the kid by revving his engine or pouring the gas on or whether he tried to swerve or brake to avoid him, but for as loony as Stewart is, I can't see him intentionally getting closer to the kid, or fishtailing, or any other garbage. The only person who really knows why he did what he did is Stewart, and he seems fairly sociopathic, so I'm sure he'll share his version of what happened eventually.

But personally, after seeing that video, I put the blame solely primarily on the poor kid, as tragic as this is.*

*I haven't watched NASCAR regularly since 2005

edit: not solely.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Has Darren Rovell come out with the monetary figures that Stewart might lose if sponsors pull out? It's important I know as soon as possible.

Darren My Main Capitalist Man Rovell posted:

Statement from Tony Stewart's sponsor Bass Pro Shops: "All of us at Bass Pro Shops are all deeply saddened about last night's tragic accident at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. We send our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of sprint car competitor Kevin Ward Jr and also to Tony Stewart and everyone at Stewart-Haas Racing."

It's not a full answer I wanted, but I'm sure he's crunching those numbers. About the murderer. Named Tony Stewart.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
We here at Bass Pro Shops simply cannot allow the products we sell to be associated with the murder of humans

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
NASCAR can gently caress right off as well, can't let a man's death get in the way of #SponsorshipActivation:

quote:

@NASCAR
With heavy hearts, we turn our attention to today's #CheezIt355.

#NASCAR Countdown begins now on @ESPNNASCAR.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

Gargoyle posted:

I just wish someone was there to yell at him to get back in his car.

This, this, so much this.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Magugu posted:

Ive drove 360 sprints with ASCS. I think I know a thing or two about racing cars. At medium to high speeds, yes, you have to use the throttle to get through a turn. At low speeds they turn very easily, its just wobbly as hell.

There isn't a fuckload of weight on that right rear, and the ground pressure with that big tire levels it out to drat near nothing. I almost want to say that kid tried to get up on the nerf bar or something equally stupid. I never would load up on tear-offs, and by the end of the main I was always scraping mud and had the visor cracked to see, add in piss poor lighting and everything else and coming in from the blind side...

And Tony tried to mud the dude I bet.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Kevin Ward Jr. is #CheezInIt™ in heaven now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Harsh, but if someone gets out of their car and gets on the track, they have created a very dangerous situation for themselves and the drivers. They should just ban drivers who do this. And if drivers hit people on the track they should not be held responsible. I can't imagine a more unsafe place for someone walking around than a racetrack.

I understand that Stewart may have also shown poor judgement at the least, but really people should not ever be on a race track during a race. If kid stays in his car, he is not hit by Stewart.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 10, 2014

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Kirios posted:

This story is the top headline on every news website. :stare:

There is no way in hell NASCAR is going to be able to sweep this under the rug.

Nary a mention on aljazeera.com :colbert:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Really wish the kid waited till the pits to get his shot in.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Just found the stomach to watch the video. I didn't realize the kid walked as far as he did down the racetrack.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The 20 year old kid emulated what he's seen on TV, and jumped out of his car and began approaching vehicles designed for speed travelling very fast on a dirt track. No matter how fast the reflexes are of the other drivers, if you're approaching a vehicle with all of those factors at play, you risk getting hit.
Emulated something often done by Tony Stewart, no less.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Wolfy posted:

Emulated something often done by Tony Stewart, no less.

No argument there. Though, it's definitely a bonehead thing to do, and it should have been outlawed a long time ago - but of all the major sports, NASCAR seems to be the most reactive as opposed to proactive.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Lorini posted:

Harsh, but if someone gets out of their car and gets on the track, they have created a very dangerous situation for themselves and the drivers. They should just ban drivers who do this. And if drivers hit people on the track they should not be held responsible. I can't imagine a more unsafe place for someone walking around than a racetrack.

I understand that Stewart may have also shown poor judgement at the least, but really people should not ever be on a race track during a race. If kid stays in his car, he is not hit by Stewart.

I agree, gently caress the victim. Maybe next time that 20 year old will consider the impact of his decisions.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lorini posted:

If Stewart hadn't wanted to be a dick to a car he'd just helped put in the wall, he would have kept to the lower part of the track instead of drifting out wide and wouldn't have hit him in the first place.

2 very poor decisions have killed a man.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

If Stewart hadn't wanted to be a dick to a car he'd just helped put in the wall, he would have kept to the lower part of the track instead of drifting out wide and wouldn't have hit him in the first place.

2 very poor decisions have killed a man.

Whoa whoa whoa buddy, someone had the loving line and someone thought they could have someone back down. Put in the wall my rear end, that was a standard loving racing on dirt. Kid should have backed down and not tried to do an outside pass on the end of the corner.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Eifert Posting posted:

I agree, gently caress the victim. Maybe next time that 20 year old will consider the impact of his decisions.

Yeah well maybe the next time a 20 year old thinks about going on to a race track and getting into a racing line, he'll think again and stay in his car. I'm sorry he died like that. The track needs to remain safe for everyone or at least as safe as they can make it. Getting out of your car and getting into a racing line is not safe.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Seriously, every time I go to races I hop the fence and walk up the track and take pictures, because I have literally zero responsibility not to walk in front of race cars on a track.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lorini posted:

Yeah well maybe the next time a 20 year old thinks about going on to a race track and getting into a racing line, he'll think again and stay in his car. I'm sorry he died like that. The track needs to remain safe for everyone or at least as safe as they can make it. Getting out of your car and getting into a racing line is not safe.

the whole macho-man "run at another car waving your arms and throwing your gloves" act has been old for like 10 years anyway

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

It's only cool when SRA does it.

(don't do it anymore, SRA)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

InterceptorV8 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa buddy, someone had the loving line and someone thought they could have someone back down. Put in the wall my rear end, that was a standard loving racing on dirt. Kid should have backed down and not tried to do an outside pass on the end of the corner.

Yeah, after watching the video and seeing it, the wreck can be summed up by saying "That's racin'".

Everything after that wasn't and is up for interpretation.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you're walking on the track you're a loving idiot. I feel for the kid but come on, it was a complete boneheaded tough guy move and it got him killed. This is why when you're a kid it's pounded into your brain that you never walk close to moving cars. Apparently when you become a big shot racecar driver it stops mattering because YEAH GOTTA BE A HARDASS but really. It's stupid. Tony Stewart could have handled it better and if he gunned it to prove a point then yeah he's at fault as well but the kid put his life in a very dangerous position and met the unfortunate consequences. Bad things happen when you ignore safety, it's not always as clean and nice as person A killed innocent person B.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I feel like anyone who says Stewart shouldn't race today "out of respect" or "because it's only right" is an idiot. Downvote me if you want, but there is literally ZERO logical reason why Stewart shouldn't race today. Ward obviously loved racing; would he really want Stewart to not be able to race all because of an accident? I doubt it. And there is absolutely nothing disrespectful in my book about running after something like this. If anything, it makes me more of a fan of Tony to see that he has the mental strength to do so.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you're walking on the track you're a loving idiot. I feel for the kid but come on, it was a complete boneheaded tough guy move and it got him killed. This is why when you're a kid it's pounded into your brain that you never walk close to moving cars. Apparently when you become a big shot racecar driver it stops mattering because YEAH GOTTA BE A HARDASS but really. It's stupid. Tony Stewart could have handled it better and if he gunned it to prove a point then yeah he's at fault as well but the kid put his life in a very dangerous position and met the unfortunate consequences. Bad things happen when you ignore safety, it's not always as clean and nice as person A killed innocent person B.

I'm still wondering if that kid tried to jump on the nerf bar and got sucked under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

nsaP posted:

I feel like anyone who says Stewart shouldn't race today "out of respect" or "because it's only right" is an idiot. Downvote me if you want, but there is literally ZERO logical reason why Stewart shouldn't race today. Ward obviously loved racing; would he really want Stewart to not be able to race all because of an accident? I doubt it. And there is absolutely nothing disrespectful in my book about running after something like this. If anything, it makes me more of a fan of Tony to see that he has the mental strength to do so.

...head on back to reddit, buddy. Or identify where you're copy/pasting this stuff from.

• Locked thread