Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TheSoundNinja posted:

So, I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Are there any PbtA games that could run basically what I watched?

Because I want that in my life.

There's a FATE setting called Bulldogs! but fair warning it's not FATE 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DalaranJ posted:

There's a FATE setting called Bulldogs! but fair warning it's not FATE 2.0.

Guardians of the Galaxy feels a lot like the Triple Prime Transport games we've played here but that isn't a particularly useful comment for most people here

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Yeah, its several editions of fate ago and has some wonky stuff, otherwise its pretty much murder hobos in space.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kai Tave posted:

Was Ettin really a regular in the D&D thread? Like, Ettin's run a single 4E game that I'm aware of and that was on RPGnet. Beyond that I've never really gotten the impression that he gives that much of a poo poo about D&D in general.

Ettin has the correct opinion on Kopru.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic
Side note: I'd rather not turn this into a general reopening of the broader debate here, because I don't get the impression people here are hugely interested in endless rehashes. You're all welcome to email me or ping me on tumblr or something if you want to hear my views on stuff or see why I make particular claims, but I'd rather not further derail this thread. Posting this thing here just because this was a sufficient fuckup to merit extra effort in making sure people see it called out as a fuckup:

One of the topics in Consultancygate stuff has been allegations as to whether someone was outed, who outed them, and related stuff. I got caught up in the logical arguments and evidence part of this. As a result, I engaged in arguments which of necessity involved making claims about what the evidence available to people was or wasn't, what conclusions they might reach, and so on.

"Out" is not a boolean state. Someone who "has been outed" has probably not been outed to everyone, and might not want the question of whether they are out, or who outed them, to be a major topic of discussion. I should have considered this before entering the discussion, and not discussed those points without a clear indication that the person in question was okay with it being a major talking point.

Sorry.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
We already have Plutonis for our flipperbaby shitposting needs, thank you.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The issue isn't that you were discussing a person who was being outed it was the way you discussed it.

If this is an apology it's a lovely one that doesn't actually take responsibility for or address the problems with how you've been communicating with people or what you've been doing (namely defending Zak S/Pundit).

gently caress off with this weaselly equivocation poo poo. If you're going to have bad opinions about something at least own them properly.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Reene posted:

gently caress off with this weaselly equivocation poo poo. If you're going to have bad opinions about something at least own them properly.

this. Seriously.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Considering your posting has had only a tenuous relationship with things like 'logic' and 'evidence' in the first place I'm not sure why you're using it as a fallback

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

seebs posted:

Side note: I'd rather not turn this into a general reopening of the broader debate here, because I don't get the impression people here are hugely interested in endless rehashes. You're all welcome to email me or ping me on tumblr or something if you want to hear my views on stuff or see why I make particular claims, but I'd rather not further derail this thread. Posting this thing here just because this was a sufficient fuckup to merit extra effort in making sure people see it called out as a fuckup:

One of the topics in Consultancygate stuff has been allegations as to whether someone was outed, who outed them, and related stuff. I got caught up in the logical arguments and evidence part of this. As a result, I engaged in arguments which of necessity involved making claims about what the evidence available to people was or wasn't, what conclusions they might reach, and so on.

"Out" is not a boolean state. Someone who "has been outed" has probably not been outed to everyone, and might not want the question of whether they are out, or who outed them, to be a major topic of discussion. I should have considered this before entering the discussion, and not discussed those points without a clear indication that the person in question was okay with it being a major talking point.

Sorry.

Who the gently caress cares.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

seebs posted:

Sorry.

Are you trying to write a corporate statement or something ? Did you run this past a first year law school student ?

If this is meant as an apology it sucks and I suggest you instead try apologizing to those actually affected and involved instead of trying whatever that post is supposed to accomplish. Make yourself look better to the people on the sidelines, I guess. Its not working.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

seebs posted:

Sorry.

You are a transmisogynistic idiot and a disgrace to these forums. Please go tell your friend Zak S in the guise of using his disabled girlfriend as a shield that I wholeheartedly support the failforward article and that is he is welcome to add "known Something Awful poster Arivia" to any and all blacklists his paranoia might cook up.

Oh, and read more:

Go gently caress yourself.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Zak S vs Goons thing got really loving boring now tbh I really wish that both sides full of retards actually did funny retard stuff like doxx each other or send packets full of worms or I don't know, melt down in a really funny way instead of discussing inane crap that normal people don't give a poo poo about with a billion words.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

seebs posted:

Sorry.

cram  it  nerd

More constructive response: who seriously goes "I'm sorry I got caught up I was JUST TOO LOGICAL and really someone who is outed might not have been outed to literally everyone but PERHAPS I SHOULD HAVE ENQUIRED ABOUT THIS TOPIC OF DISCUSSION WITH THE OUTED PERSON FIRST" what kind of non-robot actually human person says ~out is not a boolean state~ how is this an apology :psyduck:

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 10, 2014

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

A Catastrophe posted:

I still don't get how youall pbp normal tabletop games. You need a system suited to the medium, yo

I've been running PBP games for years now. I've used various systems. When I first started playing PBP games, I didn't play in person. Recently after a move, I joined a weekly game group. I enjoyed it a lot. I decided to run a game for them. And its been a struggle for me. I find GMing in real life harder then GMing a PBP game. Practice makes perfect I guess, and in time GMing in real life should get easier. Right now I much prefer GMing PBP games.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

seebs posted:

Sorry.
Speak loving English

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

From a guy who works on movies where people gently caress each other and has a budget skrillex hairstyle and has a girlfriend in hospital Zak S doesn't write funny/cringeworthy stuff and I've tried to read stuff on grogs.txt but had to back out before my eyes rolled in the back of my head which is my reaction to 90 percent of the stuff there because it's now a thread to who has the "wrongest, ignorantest opinion" instead of I dunno a guy shoving d20s up his butthole or saying that people who play 4e should be sent to Auschwitz.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Zak S vs Goons thing got really loving boring now tbh I really wish that both sides full of retards actually did funny retard stuff like doxx each other or send packets full of worms or I don't know, melt down in a really funny way instead of discussing inane crap that normal people don't give a poo poo about with a billion words.

this is why unbanning you from the chat thread was a really bad idea

actually!

AS THE CREATOR OF THE AUGUST CHAT THREAD I DON'T WANT YOU POSTING IN HERE YOU ARE BEING A SHITLORD AND MAKING THE THREAD LESS FUN

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If only we were cool enough to care about nothing like you.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

both sides full of retards actually did funny retard stuff like doxx each other or send packets full of worms or I don't know, melt down in a really funny way instead of discussing inane crap that normal people don't give a poo poo about with a billion words.

Imp zone.txt

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic
I'm just curious, has anyone ever seen someone start out thinking someone was acting in bad faith, then listen to anything they said and end up concluding otherwise? I haven't. So I'm not actually going to try to convince people who are starting out with the belief that I'm acting in bad faith, because I have never once seen that be productive.

So, feel free to think of me whatever you want. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

The primary audience for the apology is the person it's an apology to, and thanks to the magic of mutual friends, that's already taken care of. I posted it here because I figure I have an obligation to admit errors when convinced of them, not because I particularly expect you to change your opinions of me. I just really dislike the thing where people carefully put apologies somewhere where only people who will believe them will see them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Arivia posted:

this is why unbanning you from the chat thread was a really bad idea

actually!

AS THE CREATOR OF THE AUGUST CHAT THREAD I DON'T WANT YOU POSTING IN HERE YOU ARE BEING A SHITLORD AND MAKING THE THREAD LESS FUN

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Wouldn't it be great if Plutonis actually produced original/funny/interesting content himself instead of whitenoiseposting constantly about how other people aren't amusing enough for him in an effort to be cool enough for fyad?

ahaha what a world that would be!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

seebs posted:

I'm just curious, has anyone ever seen someone start out thinking someone was acting in bad faith, then listen to anything they said and end up concluding otherwise? I haven't. So I'm not actually going to try to convince people who are starting out with the belief that I'm acting in bad faith, because I have never once seen that be productive.

So, feel free to think of me whatever you want. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

The primary audience for the apology is the person it's an apology to, and thanks to the magic of mutual friends, that's already taken care of. I posted it here because I figure I have an obligation to admit errors when convinced of them, not because I particularly expect you to change your opinions of me. I just really dislike the thing where people carefully put apologies somewhere where only people who will believe them will see them.

lol

are you like a philosophy bot that has no idea how to actually deal with people at all? right now this is a staggering example of unsocial networking

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Imp zone.txt

See, Imp Zone produces funny content once in a while and it has a chill posting atmosphere.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

seebs posted:

I, a shitlord, cannot explain myself because obviously everyone is a shitlord.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reene posted:

Wouldn't it be great if Plutonis actually produced original/funny/interesting content himself instead of whitenoiseposting constantly about how other people aren't amusing enough for him in an effort to be cool enough for fyad?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Reene posted:

Does anyone who says this read FYAD? Everyone I've heard say "eheheh ol' plut'll never cut it in the major poasting leagues" has also said "GUH FYAD is terrible and full of shitlords".

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I prefer reading posts that are good+funny.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Reene posted:

I prefer reading posts that are good+funny.

So a no then. :v: So how do you know if he cuts the mustard?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

seebs posted:

You should probably attach your apology to the tumblr post that everyone is linking to and note or remove the content you are apologizing for.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
^And then also do this.

seebs posted:

Now how about you admit that you not only don't care enough about the topic to actually educate yourself on it or speak to any of the people involved directly (and can't even muster the minimal amount of chickenshit required to apologize to them directly either), but that your "arguments" are loving poo poo?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Are you requesting citations or something?

BrainParasite posted:

You should probably attach your apology to the tumblr post that everyone is linking to and note or remove the content you are apologizing for.

This would be a good step assuming it's sincere, which I frankly doubt it is but apparently there are others willing to give seebs the benefit of the doubt here.

Also good would not be asserting the claims against Zak S are "factually incorrect" immediately after directly linking to proof of at least some of those claims.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Forums Terrorist posted:

Does anyone who says this read FYAD? Everyone I've heard say "eheheh ol' plut'll never cut it in the major poasting leagues" has also said "GUH FYAD is terrible and full of shitlords".

Well regardless of your feelings on FYAD, I think the real problem is that Plute here seems to think that being a moron in Trad Games will make manyak emptyquote him.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Well regardless of your feelings on FYAD, I think the real problem is that Plute here seems to think that being a moron in Trad Games will make manyak emptyquote him.

Agree

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

I, a shitlord, cannot explain myself because obviously everyone is a shitlord.

Once again we all remember that Monsterhearts is the best game because we can see conditions in play in real life.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lightning Lord posted:

Yep

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

DocBubonic posted:

I've been running PBP games for years now. I've used various systems. When I first started playing PBP games, I didn't play in person. Recently after a move, I joined a weekly game group. I enjoyed it a lot. I decided to run a game for them. And its been a struggle for me. I find GMing in real life harder then GMing a PBP game. Practice makes perfect I guess, and in time GMing in real life should get easier. Right now I much prefer GMing PBP games.
It happens. I ran VTT games for years, and then ran a con game. . .it was ok, but it wasn't close to my best, partly because I was used to relying on a big campaign to give things inertia, but just basic Craft was also an issue on my part. The question you should ask yourself is when it comes to pbp, do you prefer it, or also enjoy it more? I encourage anyone into gming to push themselves to run an rl game if they have the chance(if you have a decent group), but you gotta think about what's fun for you as well.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Con games are way harder than just getting a bunch of nerds together and telling them about an orc in a ten foot room. In a con people tend to play more extreme personalities due to their expendable nature, (and the fact they don't have to get along with the other players afterwards) everyone's spending some of the time they could be spending at a different event with you so expectations are running higher, and there's always that one guy who is told to come up with a mental disadvantage and chooses something genuinely horrible. You can get some incredible games at cons too, but it's definitely on the intense end of the scale.

Meanwhile, at my home game the hardest part is to get my table to stop talking about Hellsing long enough to get started. I wouldn't call that easy; Hellsing is rad, but it's easier than running a table for four or five strangers with high expectations and a lunatic who keeps trying to eat NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
I hear what you're saying, but I got a pretty mellow group for that session. Maybe even a bit too mellow. Anyway, it's my job to fire that group up, and I kinda rolled with it too much and pushed too little.

The other game I was in at that con was a pitch-perfect running of the UA jailbreak scenario, in which I got to play the old man with no familiarity with the scenario, so I might be being a bit hard on myself.

• Locked thread