Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Regarding the NES Box stuff, my feeling was that it wasn't a big deal either way. Using NES kept it consistent with the rest of our localization stuff and that was as deep as the thought process went. I'm not going to call it a NES Box, not even in this thread since the posters here know what a Famicom is, but it doesn't hurt anything in the episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
While I did notice the NES/Famicom thing, it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the episode. I just thought it was a little silly.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm still mad that Masked Ninja Hanamaru wasn't subtitled as Yo! Noid.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Clearly the correct choice would be to call it the Famicom Box and then put a translator note at the top of the screen that explains that the Famicom is the Japanese version of the NES. And also translate a quarter of everything wrong.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
My only complaint which would likely never be addressed due to space issues is if when game titles are shown with their Japanese/English titles if the Japanese characters could also have romanji on screen. Reason being is some of the games never exist outside Japan, I can't read it and my saving grace is most all games will have it on Wikipedia.

All romsets are in romanji so it's just a personal thing but hey, if we're going to :goonsay: might as well add my $0.02

An example from the MMX episodes:

I guess the Japanese title is Nekojara Monogatari but I only found that through some heavy googling since it isn't even on Wikipedia.

I'm sure there's a valid reason not to do it but hey, just :goonsay:in while I can!

Although something interesting, most of their quick look games are VC on 3DS when they do GB retrospects... I wonder if Nintendo pays them for some subtle advertising...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

flyboi posted:

I guess the Japanese title is Nekojara Monogatari but I only found that through some heavy googling since it isn't even on Wikipedia.

It's written right there on the cartridge. Can't you read?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

flyboi posted:

Although something interesting, most of their quick look games are VC on 3DS when they do GB retrospects... I wonder if Nintendo pays them for some subtle advertising...

They've done a bunch of mini-episodes that are distributed exclusively on Wii/U/3DS, so it's definitely not subtle.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

bpc908 posted:

This is something I have to agree on, to me it's kinda annoying seeing a famicom on screen and knowing it's a famicom and they say in the subs it's a NES. Also with NES Box bit, I agree too, though it does say Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicombox is the first thing you see

The controllers, games and lightgun are the NES versions. It's name may be "Famicom Box", but it's soul is NES.

(And you get both on screen at the start, it's a good episode to show non-gamer friends and start a "Well actually,..." style conversation.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

I'm sure there's a valid reason not to do it but hey, just :goonsay:in while I can!

The idea there is to make the title something comprehensible. Nekojara is an interesting one to pick since the title also clearly points out that the main character is some kind of cat, but that's also his name, IIRC. Localizing it today it might as well be Lolcat Adventure.

The one where we could have gone either way in these recent episodes was Super Robot Wars since there have been western releases as Super Robo Taisen due to the name being tied up, but people know it better as Super Robot Wars.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They've done a bunch of mini-episodes that are distributed exclusively on Wii/U/3DS, so it's definitely not subtle.

Those are literally produced by Nintendo while the rest of the show is not. That results in some strange thing if you watch closely like there's no products allowed on Arino's desk during those shoots. They did it once and had to blur out all of the labels.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Andorra posted:

Clearly the correct choice would be to call it the Famicom Box and then put a translator note at the top of the screen that explains that the Famicom is the Japanese version of the NES. And also translate a quarter of everything wrong.

Excuse me, but the "Famicom Boxu" to better capture the Nihongo pronunciation and thus be more accurate to the true nature of the show.

In fact, I must insist that future subtitle releases do not change the words around, but instead just feature romanized representation of what they are saying with copious translator notes to explain the various layers that exist to the witty repartee that is Game Center CX. I find that far too much of the subtext in Arino's speech is being lost.

But seriously - when this is what people are talking about, I think that means that everybody is doing a bang-up job. I've always found your presentations to be so much better than even most professional presentations.

And it's not uncommon to have different English translations for English terms on screen. Yesterday, I watched Beyond Outrage on Netflix, and when they displayed the title onscreen, it was in English as Outrage Beyond, while the subtitles said Beyond Outrage. It's just one of those things that happens sometimes.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The translators just wanted everyone to know it was the NES box! I mean there are two of them and both say it on screen:

They also both use special pinouts on games, NES peripherals and have the 10CHIP lockout system the Famicom lacks. The 10CHIP is actually more-integrated on these systems than they ever were on NES. They're more NES than they are famicom :colbert:

The Super Famicom Box however is an entirely different beast with SFC accessories, massive cartridges and no boot logo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

The Super Famicom Box however is an entirely different beast with SFC accessories, massive cartridges and no boot logo

Whoa, hello Nintendo Neo Geo.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Random Stranger posted:

The one where we could have gone either way in these recent episodes was Super Robot Wars since there have been western releases as Super Robo Taisen due to the name being tied up, but people know it better as Super Robot Wars.

This is valid, but just to lend further credence to it, they've always called it Wars whenever they use English in their Japanese intro sequences. A minor thing, I know.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

zari-gani posted:

I think they were trying to make them sound cooler. Sometimes in Japanese media they'll take an English word and change it up a bit so that it's not just an English word. What sounds neat in Japanese can end up sounding super dumb to native English speakers.

Or they'll create some ungodly Japanese-English hybrid like "Magne Hyakulegger" while we got Magna Centipede over here.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Scrub Lover posted:

Or they'll create some ungodly Japanese-English hybrid like "Magne Hyakulegger" while we got Magna Centipede over here.

Magne Hyakylegger... makin' copies...

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Speaking of translation things. Just a few random questions/comments.
1) For all the people saying "why not just say famicombox?". Just remember that a LOT of people probably still don't know that famicom=NES, and this may be the first time ever hearing about it, so offering up the NA equivalent is beneficial. I love when you guys offer up both the NA and JP names, like "NA: NES Box, JP: Famicom Box", or "NES Box (Famicom Box)", or something similar. It provides the best of both worlds.
2) Abunai (sp?) is usually translated as "watch out", or similar. Is that supposed to be Arino yelling at the game character to watch out? I always just assumed he was shouting it out to himself, but it makes it even more awesome if he's supposed to be yelling it at the game character.
3) I've been re-watching the series again, and noticed that you generally have an inconsistency for Tanizawa's name. I see it as Tanii, and Tani, but in your Lemming's 24 Hour Compilation video, the show spelled his name in English as Tanny.

These are by no means critiques BTW, and I love your methods for translating.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 5, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cubeboy posted:

2) Abunai (sp?) is usually translated as "watch out", or similar. Is that supposed to be Arino yelling at the game character to watch out? I always just assumed he was shouting it out to himself, but it makes it even more awesome if he's supposed to be yelling it at the game character.

"abunai" the word is an adjective literally means "dangerous" but can also be used as an interjection, both as a "watch out!" type command and also just a default...noise (like "eep" or "dwaa" or "oh crap" or something like that), it's often used when you're well past the point of being able to prevent the pain from coming (e.g. if you perform a sick ski jump and lose your skis in mid-air and realize this before you actually land).

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

cubeboy posted:

3) I've been re-watching the series again, and noticed that you generally have an inconsistency for Tanizawa's name. I see it as Tanii, and Tani, but in your Lemming's 24 Hour Compilation video, the show spelled his name in English as Tanny.

I translate it as Tanii but it's gotten changed a few times by editors. I think it's kept as Tanii more often than not though. As for Tanny, that was a rare moment when the show put a more English take on a spelling than we did. (For the record, I regret not spelling it as Tanny to begin with, but eh, not a big deal.)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 5, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can someone explain the super silly sounding Maverick names in Mega Man X? I had no idea they were so absurd in the Japanese version. Storm Eagleed? Like, really, what in the gently caress

Spark Mandriller caught me entirely by surprise and is now my go-to name for any game.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Since some very proficient translators read this thread and Anime is at least somewhat related to GCCX: can any of you shed some light on the latest news re:Studio Ghibli? The internet (read: Kotaku and other poo poo outfits) report everything from a complete closure to a buyout to a mere "restructuring", but at the same time they refer to "loose translations", while other articles claim everything's outright based on mistranslations. I figured I'd ask people who actually know Japanese. :shobon: Thanks in advance!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I translate it as Tanii but it's gotten changed a few times by editors. I think it's kept as Tanii more often than not though. As for Tanny, that was a rare moment when the show put a more English take on a spelling than we did. (For the record, I regret not spelling it as Tanny to begin with, but eh, not a big deal.)

The thing is that the show has spelled his nick name in Latin characters as "Tani" but at the same time when they spell his nickname in Japanese it would be transliterated as "Tanii". That's where the change came from.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Katana Gomai posted:

Since some very proficient translators read this thread and Anime is at least somewhat related to GCCX: can any of you shed some light on the latest news re:Studio Ghibli? The internet (read: Kotaku and other poo poo outfits) report everything from a complete closure to a buyout to a mere "restructuring", but at the same time they refer to "loose translations", while other articles claim everything's outright based on mistranslations. I figured I'd ask people who actually know Japanese. :shobon: Thanks in advance!

Honestly, the Kotaku article explains the translation pretty well. They break down what was said line per line. http://kotaku.com/studio-ghibli-is-not-dead-yet-1615520289

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zari-gani posted:

Honestly, the Kotaku article explains the translation pretty well. They break down what was said line per line. http://kotaku.com/studio-ghibli-is-not-dead-yet-1615520289

Huh, I discounted it based on it being Kotaku (I actually didn't even click the link :shobon:) and some German website which claimed it was a mistranslation. Thanks for clearing that up.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Random Stranger posted:

The thing is that the show has spelled his nick name in Latin characters as "Tani" but at the same time when they spell his nickname in Japanese it would be transliterated as "Tanii". That's where the change came from.

So, what's the difference between "i" and "ii" in transliteration? It's something that just fascinates me, since they sometimes make no sense. Japanese tends to be pretty sensible. Once you understand the rules of how to pronounce the transliterations, you can get it like 95% of the time on the first try. Where as Chinese... I have no clue how they got half of the Chinese names I had to learn in my Highschool history class. It was as if they just threw any rules out of the window.

Once I found out how Kong Fuzi became Confucius, I had one of those "Oh God" moments.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's just elongation on the /i/, not that dramatic and probably not readily noticeable to native speakers of Standard American English. I don't even think it's a distinct phoneme in the English language, for us it's literally the difference between "smoke weed" and "smoke weeeeeeeeeeeeeed"

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
When I had been studying Japanese I would just read stuff like that as separate sounds, like the letters Ta-ni-i. た-に-い.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Regarding the next episode, I'm a bit shocked Family Jockey is a two (or more?) part episode, but given how hilarious (started watching it before work, but I gave up until I wasn't risking waking/disturbing the neighbours) and tense it was, I'm looking forward to it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kakaricho posted:

Regarding the next episode, I'm a bit shocked Family Jockey is a two (or more?) part episode, but given how hilarious (started watching it before work, but I gave up until I wasn't risking waking/disturbing the neighbours) and tense it was, I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, it seemed a bit odd to make this a two-parter, considering that no continues basically means that he's going to start from scratch on the next episode.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

flyboi posted:

Looks like Nintendo Super System based carts, which basically was the SNES version of their PlayChoice 10 machines. The boards came raw for the NSS units though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Am I going mad or did you guys not do subs for JJ and Jeff? I've only got the TV Nihon version but I swear there was a SAGCCX one?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

track day bro! posted:

Am I going mad or did you guys not do subs for JJ and Jeff? I've only got the TV Nihon version but I swear there was a SAGCCX one?
AFAIK, TV Nihon were the only ones who have subbed that episode so far and someone posted about it on here when it was released.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

IIRC the only complete TV Nihon episode we re-did was the Ghosts 'n Goblins episode, mainly because they seriously mistranslated an interview in it. Apparently TV-Nihon was really pissed about this and will pretty much ban anyone from SA from their forums or whatever.

We also did complete versions of...2 or 3 episodes from that first season when the challenge was only a segment and not the main part of the episode.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

univbee posted:

IIRC the only complete TV Nihon episode we re-did was the Ghosts 'n Goblins episode, mainly because they seriously mistranslated an interview in it. Apparently TV-Nihon was really pissed about this and will pretty much ban anyone from SA from their forums or whatever.

Now I really want you guys to do the rest

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
A bit off topic about Mario Land... is it that some games show "colored" through a Super Game Boy because they're programmed to detect one and use it's features? Or is it hardcoded to the Super Game Boy program ROM? Or both?

Anyone knows?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

track day bro! posted:

IIRC, zari-gani had plans to translate it when they released it after about a twenty month gap between episodes.

Japanese Phone Box posted:

A bit off topic about Mario Land... is it that some games show "colored" through a Super Game Boy because they're programmed to detect one and use it's features? Or is it hardcoded to the Super Game Boy program ROM? Or both?

Anyone knows?

The Super Game Boy has specialized palettes for a few of the more popular Game Boy games including Super Mario Land. Most of the other ones are early Nintendo published Game Boy games. However, you set each of the four colors used on the Game Boy screen to custom color choices.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 11, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Anyone knows?

There's a Wikipedia article that explains the Super Game Boy's palette functionality pretty well. Basically, the Super Game Boy has custom palettes you can swap between, and it's hard coded for some games. Some Game Boy games even have extra functionality built in when played on the Super Game Boy, but Super Mario Land is not one of those games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Anyone knows?

Some games were made to use SGB features, most famously Donkey Kong 94 which was full color and even had voice. Many games simply had a fancy border like Pokemon, Asteroids included an arcade perfect version playable on SGB. For most games, the SGB simply interpreted the grayscale with its own crazy color scheme.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

univbee posted:

It really is amazing what lengths people will go to in the name of stroking their ego. As I said a few months ago in the thread, there was a group that sat on the Hamtaro raws and wouldn't let anyone have them to sub them. If you wanted to see them, you had to join their secret club and blood swear not to share. :allears:

Also, this is from a while ago, but:

Random Stranger posted:

Here's an interesting fact for you, all the horses in the game are real horses (except the ones that Arino creates, of course). Any that weren't actively racing at the time appear to get to use their real names. Ones that were active, however, have their names slightly changed to "hide" their identity.

I should say, I haven't confirmed the name change for every single one of the dozens of horses that are racing in the game, but it was true for at least ten of them and I'll assume that the pattern holds.

I have so many things I want to crack jokes about with this episode but it would spoil one of the craziest, weirdest challenges.
You never did get around to sharing those jokes, RS, and I'm still interested. Still remember enough of it to share those jokes/trivia/etc.?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Anyone knows?

This is a really really good series of articles on the Super Game Boy and how it works, why it's cool and how almost nobody used it for anything worth a drat. http://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/gently caress-the-super-game-boy-introduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

You never did get around to sharing those jokes, RS, and I'm still interested. Still remember enough of it to share those jokes/trivia/etc.?

I'm going to assume it's a lot of lines about the price of horse semen.

The thing is I can come up with all sorts of things to comment on and laugh about in episodes as I'm working on them, but I can't share any of them until they're out of context. It's my blessing and my curse.