Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I honestly have a hard time seeing the value in a convention game. Like, it's hard enough to assemble a hand-picked group of people to play D&D with on a regular basis that doesn't result in some kind terrible nerd drama, I can't imagine that deciding to sit down and game with a table of complete strangers is anything other than a cautionary tale waiting to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
But you could run something special like a Pathfinder Society scenario you can play at home!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mystic Mongol posted:

running a table for four or five strangers with high expectations and a lunatic who keeps trying to eat NPCs.

And that's why you never play table top with strangers.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

I honestly have a hard time seeing the value in a convention game. Like, it's hard enough to assemble a hand-picked group of people to play D&D with on a regular basis that doesn't result in some kind terrible nerd drama, I can't imagine that deciding to sit down and game with a table of complete strangers is anything other than a cautionary tale waiting to happen.

I've had a ton of fun at con games, but the best ones have always been when my friends and I have been at the same table. The thing about conventions is that they absolutely suck if you're flying solo. You need buddies to hang with.

I also don't play D&D at cons, mind. Call of Cthulhu (which is pretty much great for con one-shots), Paranoia, weird poo poo I've never heard of before (this year someone was testing out some weird Sherlock Holmes poo poo at Origins, that was fun) and so on. A con game isn't the same as a campaign, and it's gonna suck if you go into it not knowing anyone else who's gonna be there, but sitting down to a oneshot with some buddies can be great.

The key, as with all convention things, is that you need buddies.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

It's a trade-off, but the win is getting to try something new. Sometimes that's a game, sometimes it's a GMing technique you didn't know, sometimes it's a play technique you didn't know. Etc. You can play the odds a bit by going for GMs you know -- there are half a dozen people running at our local SF Bay Area cool con in October who I am sure will be good, and probably another dozen who're solid that I just don't know. Like Mors says, weird crap.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Well regardless of your feelings on FYAD, I think the real problem is that Plute here seems to think that being a moron in Trad Games will make manyak emptyquote him.

I don't think that's the case at all, actually.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I don't think that's the case at all, actually.

You're wrong!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

You're wrong!

Ok, why don't you post the PMs where Plutonis hashes out his master plan of getting sweet, sweet emptyquotes in FYAD? Or forward them to me? Because right now I'm not seeing any reason to assume he's doing it for some idiotic scheme over the other possible options. I mean, I know you want him banned from this thread and probably the subforum because you have said and implied that you consider him awful and bigoted and a grade-A compoundinsult. But I don't have any of that for this accusation.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Con games with strangers have little drama in my experience - most of what we know about each other is the game. On the other hand I don't get the point of D&D as a con game because it needs regular play. Dread, Diana: Warrior Princess, and Fiasco are all great con games IME. And Dread works especially well at a con because you don't have the "People sitting out" issue as there's a whole con to see when you've knocked the tower over.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Ok, why don't you post the PMs where Plutonis hashes out his master plan of getting sweet, sweet emptyquotes in FYAD? Or forward them to me? Because right now I'm not seeing any reason to assume he's doing it for some idiotic scheme over the other possible options. I mean, I know you want him banned from this thread and probably the subforum because you have said and implied that you consider him awful and bigoted and a grade-A compoundinsult. But I don't have any of that for this accusation.
I didn't know seebs posted on two accounts!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Chaotic Neutral posted:

I didn't know seebs posted on two accounts!

I don't understand why people have some need to make Plutonis out to be the world's dumbest puppetmaster over assuming he was being an honest jackass or just making fun of people without any ulterior motives. Is it because he posts in FYAD? Or new GBS? Because that sort of prejudicial behavior is ridiculous. I do understand why you want to drive Plutonis out, and that's disgusting in and of itself, but this sort of middle school behavior is absurd.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Why do people want to drive Plutonis out?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Because he's Plutonis, And because Effectronica is a Seebs alt.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quickly, everyone, let's all try to figure out the motives of the person who posts one-liners and emptyquotes things because he is an insane Joker-like force of chaos destroying this subforum, and it is only through pages of intense discussion that we can defeat him.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
beep boop pattern detection algorithms offline boop beep this unit requires direct evidence to support this accusation beep boop

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

I don't understand why people have some need to make Plutonis out to be the world's dumbest puppetmaster over assuming he was being an honest jackass or just making fun of people without any ulterior motives. Is it because he posts in FYAD? Or new GBS? Because that sort of prejudicial behavior is ridiculous. I do understand why you want to drive Plutonis out, and that's disgusting in and of itself, but this sort of middle school behavior is absurd.

Nah, he's just super mad he got banned from an IRC chatroom again and is taking his passive aggression out on TG.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What? His trolling level, it's... it's off the charts! I've never seen emptyquotes like this!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

Because he annoys them enough that they are unable to skim over his posts, and have to block them from sight. Also because a bunch of people seem to seriously want a forum where nobody ever rocks the boat even a little.

Arivia posted:

Because he's Plutonis, And because Effectronica is a Seebs alt.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654552&userid=176390#post433267325

Guess I've got dissociative identity disorder!

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I thought nothing could be as boring as Realms chat, but I was wrong.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Effectronica posted:

Because he annoys them enough that they are unable to skim over his posts, and have to block them from sight. Also because a bunch of people seem to seriously want a forum where nobody ever rocks the boat even a little.

I don't see Plutonis 'rocking the boat' but yeah it's not hard to just ignore his bad posts.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

BrainParasite posted:

Fantasy counterpart cultures are boring.

Discuss :colbert:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654552&userid=176390#post433267325

Guess I've got dissociative identity disorder!

So "posting about posting passive-aggressively" now rocks the boat? Let me show you what rocking the loving boat means; Zak S is holding the act of charity hostage in a desperate bid to get people to actually speak with him, no word yet on whether he's in possession of Donald Trump's wig.

this guy posted:

"Here's the game--I ask you a question about things you did or said to create this controversy. You answer the question clearly. Each straight answer you give I donate 10 US dollars to the charity of your choice."

Also he cites Seebs as evidence of no wrongdoing. Let the hundreds of posts commence.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Froghammer posted:

Fantasy counterpart cultures are boring.

Discuss :colbert:

This implies that Glorantha is boring, so, uh, nice trolling attempt there.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Quit posting about Plutonis already.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ettin posted:

Quit posting already.

Let us all take these wise words to heart.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So "posting about posting passive-aggressively" now rocks the boat? Let me show you what rocking the loving boat means; Zak S is holding the act of charity hostage in a desperate bid to get people to actually speak with him, no word yet on whether he's in possession of Donald Trump's wig.

Also he cites Seebs as evidence of no wrongdoing. Let the hundreds of posts commence.

when people only pick out the posts where he repeats what other people have said in an aggressive tone, yeah, it sure looks like rocking the boat is what offends people more than the actual content. and gj reminding everyone that zak smith's mother committed a horrible mistake when she didn't strangle him at birth, thank you.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Start your donations, folks.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Con games work fine. It's good to play with new people and not everyone is terrible. I do think having a buddy along is a good idea.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Good ol' Zak. Do you care more about not being wrong than helping people? *withholds money from charity until he can extort a hundred concessions to spin into proving he is right*

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Good ol' Zak. Do you care more about not being wrong than helping people? *withholds money from charity until he can extort a hundred concessions to spin into proving he is right*

The internet is screaming.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

BrainParasite posted:

We can't confirm this unless we get plutonis to talk about dragonlance

Ettin posted:

Quit posting about Plutonis already.
Great. Great! Now we'll never know how boring the forgotten realms are.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 11, 2014

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

A Catastrophe posted:

Great. Great! Now we'll never know how boring the forgotten realms are.

Spoiler alert: Pretty boring.

Edit: except for those yak things, those are great.

Saguaro PI fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 11, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Chaotic Neutral posted:

He is literally trying to purchase proof that he's totally a good person, honest guys.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 11, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Hey I meet the callout requirements, that's cool. Time to decide who's getting my money rather than his.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Trevor project's always been a pretty good idea.

Asymmetrikon posted:

Will this get Last Stand renamed?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Asymmetrikon posted:

Good idea

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cassa posted:

Trevor project's always been a pretty good idea.

Will this get Last Stand renamed?

Well poo poo, now I want it to.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Asymmetrikon posted:

Good call.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Also done, but forgot a screencap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hey, this is nice!

• Locked thread