Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, I see. My last 40 or so hours of terraria were mostly in the end-tier where all the ores were special, so I forgot that it was a bit more forgiving at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Farewell Starbound thread. You were good once but then GBS happened. :v:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vib Rib posted:

One area I wish Terraria would take a hint is the cursor's graphic itself though. I never lose Starbound's cursor visually because it has an outline. Terraria's doesn't, so no matter what color I set it to I sometimes lose sight of it, especially in the heat of battle.

That's true, I made mine hot pink and it still escapes me.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mario Reindeer posted:

I guess "artist rendering of content not found in the game" is technically more accurate.

'Concept mockup' is 100% accurate and without the misleading tone

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Quite unlike their Early Access blurb on the Steam Store page.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Devour or Fire posted:

The team has been mostly tight-lipped on development, everything they've teased is here http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features#1.3 so mostly the anticipated moon boss/invasion plus more qol bells and whistles.

The only image they've released are spoilered early alien sprites.

Thanks! And yeah, I am with you re: terraria smart cursor superiority.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
This thread has become pretty scary.

Some improvements suggested for the hated caveman tier: Ditch the pickaxe completely and make the starting MM just slightly more powerful and described as broken. Copper repairs the worn wiring and makes it work faster (more tics per second), silver increases the area, and gold makes it more powerful.

Also, for the love of god, make wood chopping less of a chore. There should be a wood chopping tool that automatically replants a tree after you cut one down.

This game is still worth $15.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't actually have this game but I'm confused about things. So

So, things basically two-shot you in the early game as it stands. Does that eventually stop or are enemies still wildly overpowered for the whole game so far?

Because, if so, yikes. It'd be so much better if they had a specific amount of damage they could do like Terraria and Minecraft. Or if your health was large enough so that didn't happen either.

And can someone explain what they did to the pickaxes recently? So you can't mine up other things aside from the one thing right above your tier? So, if this were Minecraft, it'd go Hand> Tree> Stone> Iron> Diamond. Instead of letting you mine whatever other type of mineral but it'd take longer with lower level picks?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I don't actually have this game but I'm confused about things. So

So, things basically two-shot you in the early game as it stands. Does that eventually stop or are enemies still wildly overpowered for the whole game so far?

Because, if so, yikes. It'd be so much better if they had a specific amount of damage they could do like Terraria and Minecraft. Or if your health was large enough so that didn't happen either.

And can someone explain what they did to the pickaxes recently? So you can't mine up other things aside from the one thing right above your tier? So, if this were Minecraft, it'd go Hand> Tree> Stone> Iron> Diamond. Instead of letting you mine whatever other type of mineral but it'd take longer with lower level picks?

It used to be that Pickaxe quality let you dig anything, and it was purely a matter of speed. You also need to use copper, or precious metals/diamond to repair your pickaxe. They can wear down fairly quickly if you are digging up a lot of stuff.

Currently in the Nightly build it goes:

Nothing: Use manipulator on Wood and Stone (MAYBE Coal?).
Stone: Can dig up coal, Copper.
Copper: Can dig up Iron, Silver, Gold (Iron needed for Anvil and more picks).
Silver: Gold, Titanium, Uranium(fuel), Core Fragements.
NOTE: According to wiki, Core fragments are a new material located deep near the "core" of a planet. These are required to repair your ship thrusters now.
Gold: Allowed to dig up Platinum, plutonium (fuel), and Aegisalt (the first fancypants made up ore).
Platinum: FINALLY Diamond. Cerelium, Solarium(fuel)
Diamond: Rubium, basically everything now.

Teraria, "Starts in your inventory" Copper pick, Iron, and silver pick, can dig up every precious metal and gem. Only being unable to dig up fancy rocks like demonite and meteors without better picks. Terraria Platinum pick is just a faster Gold pick. Then it gets into all the fancy even higher than hell rocks stuff and I've already made the point by now.

EDIT: Terraria does have more tiers of "Get a better pick for this" materials, but everything that is not a made up fantasy material you can dig up from the start of the game. As for the made up fantasy materials, Platinum can dig up all but one of them pre hard mode (Rocks from HELL, which spit lava when you dig them up). The Hell materials can make a pick to dig up the first tier of Hardmode metals. Which do not even spawn into your word until you activate hard mode (which also spreads two kinds of infectious spreading doom biomes across the planet).

I think the scariest thing about what has been going on in the thread is that I am being quoted as a somewhat reasonable source of information cats and dogs living together anarchy in the streets. I have crossed my shitposter threshold and come out the other side... changed.

graynull posted:

That actually sounds fine to me. I was under the impression each pickaxe could only mine one ore up the chain before.

It does, in the sense that it is only up one PROGRESSION tier. Even after you dig stuff up, you have to unlock the ability to BUILD the next tiers. You need a chunk of Iron to unlock building Steel. Steel leads to Titanium. Titanium leads to durasteel. Durasteel leads to Aegisalt. Etc.

Or at least, that's how crafting progression worked back when I was playing stable.

My issue is less "Need pickaxe progression nooooooo!", and more that you have to work through EXTRA pickaxe tiers before you are even allowed to dig up Iron to make an Anvil. Then you top off the fact where if you compare it to Terraria, Terraria is still vastly more generous at fist (though Starbound still has 3x3 digging areas over Terraria). Then you tack on the fact your digging progression is separate from (though reliant on) your crafting progression.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 11, 2014

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Section Z posted:

NOTE: According to wiki, Core fragments are a new material located deep near the "core" of a planet. These are required to repair your ship thrusters now.

Wait, hold on. That means you're stuck on your starting planet until you slowly work your way up to a silver pickaxe, right?

Hahaha that's incredible.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Verdugo posted:

"Bullshots" is the stupidest term ever, please go back to 4Chan. Thank you.
I think that's a Penny Arcade thing. At least, they made a comic about it.

So it doesn't really have anything to do with interface mockups.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 11, 2014

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Section Z posted:

Currently in the Nightly build it goes:

Nothing: Use manipulator on Wood and Stone (MAYBE Coal?).
Stone: Can dig up coal, Copper.
Copper: Can dig up Iron, Silver, Gold (Iron needed for Anvil and more picks).
Gold: Allowed to dig up Platinum, plutonium (fuel), and Aegisalt (the first fancypants made up ore).
Platinum: FINALLY Diamond. Cerelium, Solarium(fuel)
Diamond: Rubium, basically everything now.

That actually sounds fine to me. I was under the impression each pickaxe could only mine one ore up the chain before.

NotALizardman posted:

Wait, hold on. That means you're stuck on your starting planet until you slowly work your way up to a silver pickaxe, right?

Hahaha that's incredible.

Your ship is stranded, and you only have to make 3/6 picks, one of which is available right away. That doesn't really seem very taxing to me, though I usually like to hang out for a while and explore/dig.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

graynull posted:

Keep in mind you have to make a pickaxe, then upgrade that pickaxe, before you can even start collecting materials to make armor and weapons.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zereth posted:

Keep in mind you have to make a pickaxe, then upgrade that pickaxe, before you can even start collecting materials to make armor and weapons.
At least Starbound doesn't have durability.

..right? :ohdear:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Plus the intended random nature of planets, you may get really boned and your progress slowed even more.

Maybe they could adjust the seed to artificially boost resources etc in that first-level of planet to get people to that base-line faster? Presumably when you go to the next sector, you'll be much better off in your Tier 1 gear than unequipped in sector 1, as well as being more confident with game fundamentals etc to assure you make the most of what you find.

Jackard posted:

:( Unfortunately it does.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Section Z posted:

So you're saying it's like Terraria if once you're geared up to early game first boss levels you're instead forced to dig a mandatory hellevator with your lovely pick.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jackard posted:

I think that's a Penny Arcade thing. At least, they made a comic about it.

So it doesn't really have anything to do with interface mockups.

Bullshots has been an industry term for doctored, misleading screenshots for forever. That guy calling 4chan should go back to 4chan.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mutata posted:

Bullshots has been an industry term for doctored, misleading screenshots for forever.
That comic is 9 years old.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Jackard posted:

Sort of. You csn resharpen picks with ore. The more valuable the ore, the better it sharpens because we all know how well a gold sharpening stone would work :eng99:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Literally Kermit posted:

Sort of. You csn resharpen picks with ore. The more valuable the ore, the better it sharpens because we all know how well a gold sharpening stone would work :eng99:
Same logic applies to the pick materials themselves.

Unless something changed in the nightlies (ha ha I'm not fighting through that dungeon to find out) you'll end up swimming in copper by the time you get deep so since it has no purpose other than making a cooking table and a pick, as I recall, you can just use your huge piles of it to repair.

... Can you use bars to repair? Because with ore dropping when you die and things like sand caverns collapsing and dropping you several hundred feet into lava sometimes you can't really avoid that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

That is a really dumb criticism, in a thread full of dumb criticisms. It's clearly because advancing Gold->Silver->Copper->Iron makes people feel like they're down grading since cultural conventions tell us that gold is what's given to people who achieve stuff.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Literally Kermit posted:

Because a pickaxe made entirely out of diamonds and a stick would totally dig better than a steel one. And, you know, Aegisalt actually exists. All told, I wouldn't worry too much about that sort of thing. It's like the MST3K mantra; "it's just a show, I should really just relax." Same thing, really. It's a game. It's a silly fantasy game about space Legos. Don't look too deep into it, just build poo poo with your space Legos and fly around getting all the neat toys while seeking out new life and new civilizations and bashing it with a gigantic hammer.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That is a really dumb criticism, in a thread full of dumb criticisms. It's clearly because advancing Gold->Silver->Copper->Iron makes people feel like they're down grading since cultural conventions tell us that gold is what's given to people who achieve stuff.

Aside from a few magical perks (it can mine powerful blocks), Minecraft gold picks are a bit more realistic (they only can mine 50 times), so it's not like it's entrenched in all sandbox games.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
And I think that's just a dumb concession to spergs and/or Notch being a sperg. It's gold, it's the next level up, just make it better. In universe explanation: it looks exactly like our gold but doesn't have identical physical properties, BAM, problem solved.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's space gold.

Chucklefish please rename gold ore/bars/picks/etc "Space Gold".

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

And I think that's just a dumb concession to spergs and/or Notch being a sperg. It's gold, it's the next level up, just make it better. In universe explanation: it looks exactly like our gold but doesn't have identical physical properties, BAM, problem solved.

The idea in minecraft is that it's faster than iron but less durable, and gets better enchantments. So it's basically a tradeoff thing, but the tradeoff is too severe.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The idea in minecraft is that it's faster than iron but less durable, and gets better enchantments. So it's basically a tradeoff thing, but the tradeoff is too severe.

Faster than Diamond too.
Keep a bunch of gold picks for when you need to go fast and some Diamond picks when you need to dig a lot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Actually just get efficiency V diamond picks and don't ever bother with gold.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zereth posted:

It's space gold.

Chucklefish please rename gold ore/bars/picks/etc "Space Gold".

All gold is space gold.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I love video game logic where things made of gold are automatically better than things that look silvery, because gold is shiny and coveted.

I guess Minecraft at least made gold picks less durable, but it's hilarious that anyone would even consider making a tool out of gold, the metal that's known for being super malleable and needs to be alloyed to even make jewelry with. I'm waiting for the day some autistic kid raised on Minecraft documents his attempts to make a sword of pure gold or something and it breaks instantly.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Everything is space everything.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Smoremaster posted:

I'm waiting for the day some autistic kid raised on Minecraft documents his attempts to make a sword of pure gold or something and it breaks instantly.

Pretty sure an autistic kid wouldn't be able to swing that thing. I think that even if he could, it would wrap or mold around around whatever he hit.

If you want breaking/shattering, go for pure silver. poo poo's brittle as hell.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

Mind blown.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Found an ape colony that uses a similar-sounding currency to bitcoin. Game is still good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for this game to be at the first-release-Terraria point so things'll be relatively boring but stable at the least.

Combat shouldn't be that threatening anymore right? I mean, when Terraria was first released, the most dangerous things were I think Skeletons since they'd do a fifth of your health every attack. But that's way better than one-two shotting you if people aren't exaggerating.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Literally Kermit posted:

One of the most common confused player questions back when I was playing stable was "why can't I repair my Pick it's not working?" and getting told "it's easy you're just doing it wrong".

Both sides neglecting to mention stone picks. Because you can't repair a stone pick, you just have to make a new one :doh:

As for ore luck, not sure how "improved" ore distribution is on nightlies now. But even after several "We have improved ore spread, also this is totally way more generous than it will be at launch", I'd still end up with hundereds of iron, and a chunk of silver and gold before finding the entire SIXTEEN Copper needed to make a copper pickaxe. After making an entire orbit around my planet's surface layer, and occasionally digging deeper. Murphy's law demanded it would be the LAST bit of surface I didn't explore that had a copper deposite bigger than 1 or 2. Across multiple characters.

Basically, I do not trust RNG based progression ever for this kind of poo poo luck (see also, being told "just use guns on the boss, idiot" and not finding anything better than 'not as bad as a steel bow' pistol across ten planets). Meteor Tier is part of why I keep deciding "...Maybe later" for getting back into Terraria, even if there are tricks to deliberately trigger a meteor somewhere on your planet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 11, 2014

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Maybe in a sandbox open world game with such a huge variety of starting environments, there should be several parallel methods of tool progression rather than making sure you find all the metals from earth first before you can mine cool space stuff on the alien planet you landed on, as an alien

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

goodness posted:

Universal label

Ingredients: Hydrogen, Time

Pretty sure that was an XKCD.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

Meteor Tier is part of why I keep deciding "...Maybe later" for getting back into Terraria, even if there are tricks to deliberately trigger a meteor somewhere on your planet.
I thought it was optional. Conventional materials -> Demonite -> Hell ore. The hammer/axe from meteor is handy, but if you're not going to go heavy in on magic you can ignore meteor for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Universal label

Ingredients: Hydrogen, Time

Pretty sure that was an XKCD.

Have not read xkcd since January 2013 :(

• Locked thread