Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Random Stranger posted:

The thing is I can come up with all sorts of things to comment on and laugh about in episodes as I'm working on them, but I can't share any of them until they're out of context. It's my blessing and my curse.
You could always make note of them in a text document or something. Wait a few days after a release, cross off any watchers stumble across on their own, and share the rest. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

IIRC the only complete TV Nihon episode we re-did was the Ghosts 'n Goblins episode, mainly because they seriously mistranslated an interview in it. Apparently TV-Nihon was really pissed about this and will pretty much ban anyone from SA from their forums or whatever.

We also did complete versions of...2 or 3 episodes from that first season when the challenge was only a segment and not the main part of the episode.

Ah ok I must have misremembered, it was one of the games where I thought the filename had the american name instead of the japanese one. Its a shame about the TVN thing because i'd love to see an SA version of prince of persia! I'm not sure why they care so much anyway, its not like they actively sub episodes anyway.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Hey now one of my podcasts is about GCCX: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=859:sax:

Not much new for us pre-existing fans, but you can always complain about what we didn't talk about.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 11, 2014

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

This is a really really good series of articles on the Super Game Boy and how it works, why it's cool and how almost nobody used it for anything worth a drat. http://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/gently caress-the-super-game-boy-introduction

Completely wrong about Kirby's Dream Land 2 though. :colbert:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I've been kinda slow on getting caught up with the new videos, but last night I watched the Tatsunoko Fighter episode. I really enjoyed the episode, but I thought it was a total dick move to have the "1/4 chance of having to replay the entire level you just beat" warp gimmick. At least Arino only had to replay the first level because of it and he didn't have to do that after the final boss.

track day bro! posted:

I'm not sure why they care so much anyway, its not like they actively sub episodes anyway.
They probably think they should be the ones to finish it since they were the first ones to sub the show. But, at the rate they're going, humanity will probably be extinct by the time they get even half the episodes done.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Obeast posted:

They probably think they should be the ones to finish it since they were the first ones to sub the show. But, at the rate they're going, humanity will probably be extinct by the time they get even half the episodes done.

I vaguely remember a screencap of someone asking on their forum what they thought of SA subbing effort and getting promptly banned. It seemed like the fans of TV-Nihon were not aware of another subbing group doing work on GCCX and that they wanted the situation to stay that way.

But yeah, subbing is serious business, apparently.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
SUB WARS are the worst kind of nerd wank, but TVN are a special kind of elitist weeaboo shits.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

But yeah, subbing is serious business, apparently.

Well, technically it is, as long as your target audience is the deaf and hard-of-hearing.

"Closed Captioning provided by..."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TVN is from a time frame when so few people were subbing material that people were crazy grateful that anyone was doing it, even if they were doing it really lovely, and they're desperate to hang on to that e-fame.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

TVN is from a time frame when so few people were subbing material that people were crazy grateful that anyone was doing it, even if they were doing it really lovely, and they're desperate to hang on to that e-fame.

I dunno, maybe this varied based on where you were, but if you had a set mind about it and made the right friends in your local Chinatown they had absolutely crazy amounts of fansubbed stuff on VHS you could buy kind of underground back in the mid-late 90's. No idea where it all originally came from, it never seemed to be really problematic video-quality wise, and this would have been back in the day when your home computer was likely a Pentium 1. I knew a few :spergin: people who had collections of various long-running anime series fansubbed this way, and stuff I'm pretty sure didn't exist as a proper commercial release; I suspect some of it may have come from hardcore anime clubs at universities and the like where the right people had access to the right equipment since this wouldn't have been doable with consumer-level equipment back then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

univbee posted:

I dunno, maybe this varied based on where you were, but if you had a set mind about it and made the right friends in your local Chinatown they had absolutely crazy amounts of fansubbed stuff on VHS you could buy kind of underground back in the mid-late 90's. No idea where it all originally came from, it never seemed to be really problematic video-quality wise, and this would have been back in the day when your home computer was likely a Pentium 1. I knew a few :spergin: people who had collections of various long-running anime series fansubbed this way, and stuff I'm pretty sure didn't exist as a proper commercial release; I suspect some of it may have come from hardcore anime clubs at universities and the like where the right people had access to the right equipment since this wouldn't have been doable with consumer-level equipment back then.

There was a lot of that kind of stuff but it was a lot harder to get than internet-distributed stuff. You had to trade with other people or hope some local place had a series you wanted to watch and the translation quality wasn't "Bejita said gently caress YOU"-style stuff. There was some really good stuff during that timeframe too, it was just harder to get and it depended on the material.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

I remember back in the late 90s downloading Real Media fansubbed DBZ movies. Oh how things have changed. No idea where they came from and they were like 320x240 videos but god drat if I didn't enjoy every minute of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There was a lot of that kind of stuff but it was a lot harder to get than internet-distributed stuff. You had to trade with other people or hope some local place had a series you wanted to watch and the translation quality wasn't "Bejita said gently caress YOU"-style stuff. There was some really good stuff during that timeframe too, it was just harder to get and it depended on the material.

Hey, you could always buy your fansubs from that creepy guy at the comic book convention who duped the fansubs onto tapes and then charged twenty bucks for them.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I guess there will be no Game Center CX USA with Robin Williams.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Obeast posted:

Honestly, at this point, I'd be surprised if another episode comes out. There's just not many episodes left for them to do, and doing mistranslated versions of sacx episodes just doesn't have the same appeal.

Plus, it is outside of their niche. And the quality just doesn't compare. Like, I rag on them a lot for unnecessarily using Japanese names when it made no difference. But beyond that, there's a lot of stuff they do that makes very little sense in English.

After all, didn't they translate something as someone has to go home top Mt. Tanii? I mean, the dude is a little chubby, but that's just mean.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mister Chief posted:

I hope Arino stays happy and healthy, even after GCCX ends.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I hope GCCX doesn't end.

:smith:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mister Chief posted:

There's always Vin Diesel.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

There's always Vin Diesel.

If a small-ish man like Kan tried to yell at him it wouldn't work though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kakaricho posted:

If a small-ish man like Kan tried to yell at him it wouldn't work though.

I always thought an english equivalent should be someone who isn't quite as big of a name, with a slight accent. Like a Ray Romano or Bill Engval.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Retro Game Master starring Guy Fieri.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The answer is always Norm Macdonald.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
If an English version of Game Center CX is produced and it doesn't star Colin Mochrie then someone hosed up pretty bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Famibomb posted:

If an English version of Game Center CX is produced and it doesn't star Colin Mochrie then someone hosed up pretty bad.

And then get Greg Proops on for a special MadWorld episode!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Dara O'Briain, maybe? He's into games, and from what I gather he's not that great at them.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

univbee posted:

IIRC the only complete TV Nihon episode we re-did was the Ghosts 'n Goblins episode, mainly because they seriously mistranslated an interview in it. Apparently TV-Nihon was really pissed about this and will pretty much ban anyone from SA from their forums or whatever.

We also did complete versions of...2 or 3 episodes from that first season when the challenge was only a segment and not the main part of the episode.
That's a bummer, because I would love to see some of the interviews/segments that TV-Nihon left out. It would also be nice if the show brought back "Meet This Person" type segments. They wouldn't even have to be professionals, they could be like that one where they went to the guys house who had the biggest collection of Famicom games.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

rdbbb posted:

Not much new for us pre-existing fans, but you can always complain about what we didn't talk about.

I listened to this, and it was great! Like you say, nothing earth-shattering for us fans, but still very entertaining none the less. And there were shout-outs to SA-GCCX and Zari-Gani as well, which was cool.

The episode is completely broken on the iOS podcast app though. It wouldn't let me download it normally, when I tried to stream it it played the first episode of the new Retronauts podcasts instead, when I tried to download it from the app's internal iTunes store it played my copy of the Joe and Mac episode instead, when I deleted all my previous episodes and downloaded it again, it simply refused to play. And there was a weird little file icon next to where it says the episode duration. It was very odd.

But still, great episode, even if I ended up having to stream it from the Soundcloud site like a bloody animal.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

yeah sorry, that's since been fixed on our side but you'll basically have to un/resubscribe or, worst case, delete and re-add to Podcasts. It sucks and my fault but Podcasts also sucks, and any extra fiddling on the backend would just add to the confusion.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

rdbbb posted:

This is a good intro to anyone not familiar with GCCX, and it's always nice to hear people talking about the show -- it's not something experienced often. You definitely are the American GCCX ambassador!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Speaking of technical difficulties, for some reason I can't load the current page of the GCCX thread; it errors out with 500 or 'this page is not available'. I can load every other page, just not page 488. I'm hoping making this post in the thread will magically fix it (since I can read newer posts by clicking 'reply').

E: and that worked. Weird. Eerie.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Some things got messed up when the load balancer fell over today.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Edit: disregard

AladdinSane
Sep 4, 2011
Long time lurker here wondering if you could help me out. One of the things my wife and I love is GCCX, we watch it whenever new episodes come out.

This year for her birthday instead of a big party, I'm throwing her a surprise GCCX party. She loves Super Mario World, so her challenge is to complete all 96 levels (she is much better than Arino!) in a day. I'm trying to replicate segments from the show to break up the day. Here is what I have come up with so far: I cut together a video open and made a Arino-styled face-paste title screen, got her a uniform, am having some friends mail in post cards for "Ring Ring Tactics," got some cooling pads, getting some Japanese snacks, having some friends stop over as AD's to take over at times and having some other friends write/draw messages of support.

Can you think of anything else that might be fun and able to be replicated?

Thanks for any suggestions!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

AladdinSane posted:

Long time lurker here wondering if you could help me out. One of the things my wife and I love is GCCX, we watch it whenever new episodes come out.

This year for her birthday instead of a big party, I'm throwing her a surprise GCCX party. She loves Super Mario World, so her challenge is to complete all 96 levels (she is much better than Arino!) in a day. I'm trying to replicate segments from the show to break up the day. Here is what I have come up with so far: I cut together a video open and made a Arino-styled face-paste title screen, got her a uniform, am having some friends mail in post cards for "Ring Ring Tactics," got some cooling pads, getting some Japanese snacks, having some friends stop over as AD's to take over at times and having some other friends write/draw messages of support.

I would presume that you don't have an arcade nearby, since making an arcade trip is probably one of the most obvious options and you probably thought of that already.

What you probably really need is some sort of miniature PA system so you can play Kan. That belongs to the real GCCX experience. Otherwise, I think you've pretty much got the main points nailed.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

AladdinSane posted:

You are an awesome husband. I would totally do this to my wife if I had one.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RadicalR posted:

You are an awesome husband. I would totally do this to my wife if I had one.
For your wife. For her.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

AladdinSane posted:

Have an ex biker wear a pink apron and cook her lunch.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
You could play To Catch A Catch Copy with whatever game collection you have.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Eponymous posted:

You could play To Catch A Catch Copy with whatever game collection you have.

That's a good one, plus Famicom Video Game Sniper with any carts you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Catch a Copy is awesome because you could even do it with modern games if you didn't have much retro stuff lying around. Now if only my wife liked GCCX so I could totally steal this idea...