Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Rythe posted:

Install some wheel chalks..

:eng101: Chocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Just curious, not planning on anything here, but: How hard is it to title a bike bought on craigslist with no title, in whatever state is the easiest to get it titled?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How ever hard you consider buying a used frame with a clean title and swapping everything you have onto it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Other CA faves:

Low and behold
Wolla
Would of

Elements of Style is 100 pages with lots of white space, ya dunces.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

RadioPassive posted:

Just curious, not planning on anything here, but: How hard is it to title a bike bought on craigslist with no title, in whatever state is the easiest to get it titled?
I think my state (VT) is the easiest. On vehicles older than 15 years they don't even issue titles. You just give them a bill of sale, handwritten on a post-it note if you like, and they give you a plate.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

RadioPassive posted:

Don't buy stolen stuff.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Seconded, don't be scum.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Crossposting from "What did you do to your bike today?"

Chichevache posted:

I've got about 200 miles on the DRZ since I replaced the engine, so I decided to do an oil change today. Unfortunately the frame plug is totally stripped (PO again...). I knew I should have replaced it when I did the engine swap, but I put it off and now I can't get the drat thing out, so I will have to buy a new frame plug and find out how to pull the old one. I drained what I could from the crankcase, but it only amounted to four or five ounces total, which worries me. When I filled the bike back up it drank nearly 2 liters. Is it possible that I just couldn't get all of the oil out but was still able to add two liters, or is my bike burning that much oil somehow?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Crossposting from "What did you do to your bike today?"

My guess is that you still have a shitload of old oil in there, and now you have way too much oil.

Figure out how to get the drat plug out and don't ruin another engine.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

My guess is that you still have a shitload of old oil in there, and now you have way too much oil.

Figure out how to get the drat plug out and don't ruin another engine.

:stonk: you can have too much oil? I just assumed that since it wasn't coming out the top and my dipstick was reading right that it wouldn't be a problem.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

:stonk: you can have too much oil? I just assumed that since it wasn't coming out the top and my dipstick was reading right that it wouldn't be a problem.

Either your drain plug is keeping alot of oil from coming out, shockingly.

Or, you have a (new) engine that burned 1.5l of oil in 200mi.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

Either your drain plug is keeping alot of oil from coming out, shockingly.

Or, you have a (new) engine that burned 1.5l of oil in 200mi.

I Googled it and apparently the drz is a dry sump, so the oil goes into the frame I guess.

Hopefully my local shop has the plug or else I'm garaging the bike for a week while I wait for suzuki to ship it. :negative:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
The backpack worked beautifully. It wasn't a problem in the slightest. Now I even have a way of hauling some small amounts of groceries home until I get a tank bag or something!

It's probably the dumbest thing in the world, but where are some good places to shop for non-rear end in a top hat helmet decals? My helmet is flat black now and I'd like to make it stand out at least a little bit.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

Yes you can have too much oil. You need to get a manual for your bike. Also, on a new-to-me engine I'd be checking it every ride until I establish the norm for oil consumption.

Chichevache posted:

I Googled it and apparently the drz is a dry sump, so the oil goes into the frame I guess.

Hopefully my local shop has the plug or else I'm garaging the bike for a week while I wait for suzuki to ship it. :negative:

You could probably get by with a universal tension plug for a minute.

They're supposed to be good for an oil change, but I stripped the sump plug on my Buell the first change I did and I've had this plug going for 20k mi.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RadioPassive posted:

n8r posted:

Don't buy stolen stuff.

HNasty posted:

Seconded, don't be scum.

Lets get clear on what we're talking about here. Are we talking about a bike where the title is legitimately lost (i.e. old barn finds), or are we talking about stolen poo poo? Its usually easy to tell the difference.

If its the former, you can get titles easily and legally, but yeah, in general don't buy stolen poo poo.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lets get clear on what we're talking about here. Are we talking about a bike where the title is legitimately lost (i.e. old barn finds), or are we talking about stolen poo poo? Its usually easy to tell the difference.

If its the former, you can get titles easily and legally, but yeah, in general don't buy stolen poo poo.

To expand on this its usually not worth it. I bought a moped from someone a few years ago that was not stolen, but had a bad title. The person I bought it from was not the person on the title. The person I bought it from signed his signature and name on the title which then rendered it void. After spending nearly two years fighting with the state, sending letters, contacting the owner that is on the title.. it still doesn't have a Texas state title. Its a HUGE pain in the rear end and I can't tell you how much trouble it has caused me since now that I am trying to sell the moped.

There are legal ways to title the bike. Legal either means going through the bonded title process which can be very expensive, or other out of state options, but I am not here to tell you how to do that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chichevache posted:

There's also a complicated procedure for those oil in frame dirt bikes sometimes, so read the manual about checking the oil. It might be something like <drain all oil> <add X liters of oil to frame> <run for X seconds> <THEN check at dipstick>.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If the owner was the last person to title the vehicle in OH you can just get it reprinted.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Minkee posted:

To expand on this its usually not worth it. I bought a moped from someone a few years ago that was not stolen, but had a bad title. The person I bought it from was not the person on the title. The person I bought it from signed his signature and name on the title which then rendered it void. After spending nearly two years fighting with the state, sending letters, contacting the owner that is on the title.. it still doesn't have a Texas state title. Its a HUGE pain in the rear end and I can't tell you how much trouble it has caused me since now that I am trying to sell the moped.

There are legal ways to title the bike. Legal either means going through the bonded title process which can be very expensive, or other out of state options, but I am not here to tell you how to do that.

Honestly, the tax office folks aren't private investigators in TX. There are a poo poo ton of people that just scribble whatever name they want on the signature field if they're selling something shady. As long as they can match that on the 130U form it's not going to be held up.

I'm amazed at how cool they are there relative to the DPS licensing folks. I've never had a bad experience at the tax office.

E: I should clarify, if you're buying a 500 dollar scooter or some shitpile box of parts no one gives a gently caress if you do this. Obviously if someone is getting creative with signatures on the $12k Ducati you just bought you should probably run the gently caress away and/or call the cops.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Old barn poo poo, for sure. I've dealt with craigslist and stolen bicycle bullshit already, I'm familiar with not buying stolen bikes, these ones just have motors. Either way, Don't buy stolen bikes.

I've seen a few barn bike ads on my local craigslist in the past couple months, and while none of them were a bike I'd want to ride, the asking prices were so low it got me thinking about what I'd do if I ever did find a bike I'd want to ride in a barn with no title.

Assuming, also, that it's worth the restoration from barn condition.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You can just apply for a bonded title as well for a couple hundred bucks max. Not sure how these work outside TX but if it's been sitting in a barn for 20 years no one is gonna come looking for it so they're a safe enough bet.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I did a bonded title on my ninja250 because the PO was a non-tax-paying scumbag. He had the LA title signed over to him, but never bothered getting a TX title for it. It was a bit of a hassle, but not horrific.

This was the process in TX:
1) Get bike inspected and get the 'green sheet'. Apparently inspections for vehicles that do not have a TX title use a different form. Make sure the inspector knows what you want.
2) Take your inspection form down to the DMV and tell the receptionist what you're doing. They'll give you the right questionnaire and forms to fill out.
3) Wait about 45minutes to speak to an actual agent
4) Get the finalized request for a bonded title from the agent, make sure all the info is *exactly* correct. My agent messed up and used the wrong manufacturer code and I had to awkwardly cut in line to have her correct it.
5) Take that request to the surety bond office, they will run the VIN and double-check you. Bond for a 14yo ninjette: $100.
6) Take the bond, the title request, and some more money to your county tax assessor. They will give you a plate and send you the real bonded title in them mail.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

There's also a complicated procedure for those oil in frame dirt bikes sometimes, so read the manual about checking the oil. It might be something like <drain all oil> <add X liters of oil to frame> <run for X seconds> <THEN check at dipstick>.

Mine is literally "check the dipstick".

clutchpuck posted:

Yes you can have too much oil. You need to get a manual for your bike. Also, on a new-to-me engine I'd be checking it every ride until I establish the norm for oil consumption.

You could probably get by with a universal tension plug for a minute.

They're supposed to be good for an oil change, but I stripped the sump plug on my Buell the first change I did and I've had this plug going for 20k mi.

Got the manual, I'll liik for the tension plug if my local shop doesn't have a replacement frame plug.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anyone on here ever used a Nokia Windows Phone for offline navigation? I've heard the maps/nav offline are pretty decent, and at $50 the phone is cheaper than any purpose-made device.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Radbot posted:

Anyone on here ever used a Nokia Windows Phone for offline navigation? I've heard the maps/nav offline are pretty decent, and at $50 the phone is cheaper than any purpose-made device.

My $200 Garmin and other units can be had be $10-$30 on ebay all day long.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

astrollinthepork posted:

My $200 Garmin and other units can be had be $10-$30 on ebay all day long.

With free map updates? I'm not seeing any smaller units on eBay for that price unless they're absolutely ancient.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Pretty sure I was eulogising that exact use for them just now. Go for it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretty sure I was eulogising that exact use for them just now. Go for it.

Hah, you probably did inspire me and I didn't even realize it. Pulling the trigger now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I just jot down some shorthand turns and put it in the map pocket of my tank bag or purse or whatever.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

I just jot down some shorthand turns and put it in the map pocket of my tank bag or purse or whatever.

It's nice to have the ability to avoid dirt roads and/or start a new route when you're in the (extremely huge) portion of the Rockies without cellphone coverage, especially when lots of fun turnoffs aren't well signed. When I lived in California, I definitely just taped a list of directions to my windshield.

edit: On another note, how do you discover what your safe speed is when riding in rain? Currently I take turns like an extremely slow, myopic grandmother when it's raining, but that's only because I don't know how far I can push it.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 11, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

clutchpuck posted:

I study Google Maps really well before I head out on a trip.

NOTE: this does not always work out with me making an on-time arrival, but on a motorcycle the journey is worth as much as the destination, right?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Radbot posted:

It's nice to have the ability to avoid dirt roads and/or start a new route when you're in the (extremely huge) portion of the Rockies without cellphone coverage, especially when lots of fun turnoffs aren't well signed. When I lived in California, I definitely just taped a list of directions to my windshield.

edit: On another note, how do you discover what your safe speed is when riding in rain? Currently I take turns like an extremely slow, myopic grandmother when it's raining, but that's only because I don't know how far I can push it.

I know I'm hardly super experienced, but I've ridden in the rain for a few months this year and I guess my advice might be useful.

Things to watch out for:
Any kind of painted surface. For instance, we have these huge white arrows at a couple spots on the highway where there is an eastbound and a westbound highway entrance, so people don't go the wrong way. Those things are slippery as gently caress. If they're dry, they're fine, but wet they're like ice.

The usual stuff they teach you in an MSF class, like metal gratings, stuff like that.

One thing I've noticed that can be super treacherous in a car or on a bike are the little metal strips they use to connect places like bridges and overpasses and sometimes corners. It's just a 2" strip of metal, which is usually perpendicular to the road surface. Those things are like going over butter when they're wet. We've even had some pretty serious accidents involving cars going over them too fast in the rain here.

If it's raining, my best advice is to pretend it's icy. Don't try to stop or start really quickly. Don't ride close to anyone (by close, I mean < 2 seconds behind), especially if the possibility that you'll need to stop quickly exists. Leave a bunch of room between you and whatever is in front of you. Start off from lights/stops slowly.

You don't have to ride like a grandma, just do everything a little slower/gentler than you normally would, and you'll be fine.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Radbot posted:

The road surface supposedly has around 70-80% of it's traction when wet, so on roads you know aim for < 70% of the usual corner speed, 70% of the exit acceleration 70% of the braking force, and so on. A good tip someone gave years ago, maybe here; Whenever you're heading out into the rain, at the first opportunity (when you're not in traffic or whatever) give the rear brake a couple of little jabs, until you feel it just break loose. It will give you a feel for how much braking power you can put down. Engine braking is your friend in slippery conditions too, especially if you don't have ABS, as it slows the wheel without stopping it.

If it has been hot and sunny for more than a few days in a row and it has just started raining, ride like grandma for the first 30 minutes or until the road has had a good wash of rain. The oil and poo poo floating on the wet pavement can be like an ice rink until it get's rinsed off.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Anyone have a recommendation for a completely waterproof (not just "water resistant") bike cover with heat shields and vent panels, >$70?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I definitely feel like I have more grip when it's absolutely bucketing down than when it's been raining for half an hour, but this might be psychological. I also feel like when the road is still wet after rain, but there isn't a visible layer of water over the tarmac, I have way more grip. Which makes sense I guess, it isn't the 'wetness' but rather the amount of standing water your tyre has to clear away. I have the feeling that tarmac which is just 'wet' has almost as much grip as cold dry road. It's the volume of water on top that really fucks you.

That and non-tarmac surfaces like manhole covers, painted lines, tar snakes etc.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've always read that good clean pavement by itself still has about 80-85% the amount of grip that dry pavement does.

It's just all the other poo poo like metal and paint that gets super slippery, plus standing water, cracks, uneven pavement, potholes and other garbage that induce slippage that is a lot more dangerous. And once you start slipping on wet pavement, especially lovely wet pavement, it's a lot harder to recover than when it's dry.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I definitely feel like I have more grip when it's absolutely bucketing down than when it's been raining for half an hour, but this might be psychological. I also feel like when the road is still wet after rain, but there isn't a visible layer of water over the tarmac, I have way more grip. Which makes sense I guess, it isn't the 'wetness' but rather the amount of standing water your tyre has to clear away. I have the feeling that tarmac which is just 'wet' has almost as much grip as cold dry road. It's the volume of water on top that really fucks you.

That and non-tarmac surfaces like manhole covers, painted lines, tar snakes etc.

Your feeling about half an hour of rain and a couple of hours rain is pretty much correct. When it's just started raining all the dirt, sand, whatever is still there but also so's the water, and if the surface is pitted it can also lift any spilled oil or fuel out of the pits and dump it on the surface (also if the road is newly-laid or repaired lighter bitumen washes out of it too).

After a couple of hours or a good thunderstorm all of that poo poo gets washed away, so you'll be getting about the maximum grip you're likely to get in the wet.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

M42 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a completely waterproof (not just "water resistant") bike cover with heat shields and vent panels, >$70?

I love my Dowco. It's been waterproof for many months and I've only sprayed it once. My bike lives outside during the riding months and it's been ideal.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Metal grates are fun, the road I live on is a secluded constant bendy snake with two metal grates conveniently placed on each bend. It's like my own little practice course to weave between them in the rain while avoiding oncoming cars who want to hog the road in tight turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

ShaneB posted:

I love my Dowco. It's been waterproof for many months and I've only sprayed it once. My bike lives outside during the riding months and it's been ideal.

Is it this one?