Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Also a wheelchair is cheaper than a heal/regeneration spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

LightWarden posted:

I don't know why that guy was complaining, wheelchairs have existed for thousands of years, though having one that's more focused to you than a cart often meant you were either mechanically adept enough to fashion one yourself (as with German watchmaker Stephan Farffler) or were wealthy enough that someone would make one for you (King Philip II of Spain's chronic gout meant that he was pushed around in one later in life). Of course, when wheelchairs were rare, wheelchair accessibility was also rare so it made life harder. Stuff like mass-production, collapsible wheelchairs, ultralight materials and motorized wheelchairs didn't get into production until the late 19th and early-to-mid 20th century, but if your game world has tinkerers, alchemists and literal magic there's tons of interesting things you can do.

That would actually make a lot of sense for a game of something like Ars Magica, where your wizard character is mostly researching and such rather than going out adventuring.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

If your game of D&D doesn't include at least one mad alchemist carting himself around in a wooden wheelchair of his own design I don't want to play with you :colbert:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any self respecting magus uses a hover throne

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's the one good use for Tenser's Floating Disk.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's the one good use for Tenser's Floating Disk.

That doesn't sound very comfortable, the disk is just a shallow concave bowl, isn't it? I guess you could use a cushion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well you put a comfortable chair on the floating disk and then sit on that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tenser's Floating Recliner

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kai Tave posted:

Well you put a comfortable chair on the floating disk and then sit on that.

:doh: Of course. Wait, how long does the disk last again? Been a while since I cracked open a D&D spell list.

I guess you could just use a permanency spell/ritual.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
1 hour/level. You can also get invisible servants to push/pull/carry you around. Or bolster the carrying capacity of an ally/cohort/mount/summon and then ride around on their backs. Or just magically fly, I suppose.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
At least in 4E Tenser's Floating Disk lasted 24 hours per casting and cost 10gp in ritual bits which means that even at low levels you can cast this sucker all the time, or hell, there's probably like a dozen ways to get you free ritual castings that I'm unfamiliar with off the top of my head.

e; market cost is not component cost

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Kai Tave posted:

At least in 4E Tenser's Floating Disk lasted 24 hours per casting and cost 10gp in ritual bits which means that even at low levels you can cast this sucker all the time, or hell, there's probably like a dozen ways to get you free ritual castings that I'm unfamiliar with off the top of my head.

e; market cost is not component cost

Floating Disk is an Exploration Ritual, which means the Exploration Mastery feat lets you cast an exploration ritual once a day for no cost and also lets you use Arcana, Religion or Nature in place of your Endurance, which is really useful for most ritual casters since failing Endurance checks can have very bad consequences such as draining your already limited healing surge supply.

If you're using Floating Disk, there's a level 4 Wondrous Item in Dragon 387 called Tenser's Circular Shield, which can be used as a focus for the ritual to prevent creatures other than you from moving anything on the disk without your express mental permission, and also grants Resist 20 all to objects on the disk.

For the same price, you can get the Unseen Servant's Hand, which gives you two Unseen Servants instead of one and makes it so each can lift up to 300 lbs so they can carry you around on a palanquin.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Tollymain posted:

what doesn't wear shoes and goes "boooooo"

You never posted the answer to this riddle

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So basically there is never any reason for your Wizard to deign to touch the ground like a filthy peasant.

As your Arcana skill grows the amount of weight that the floating disk can carry also grows which is handy because presumably all wizards who know how to cast Tenser's Floating Disk inevitably grow to resemble Baron Harkonnen over time.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Kai Tave posted:

So basically there is never any reason for your Wizard to deign to touch the ground like a filthy peasant.

As your Arcana skill grows the amount of weight that the floating disk can carry also grows which is handy because presumably all wizards who know how to cast Tenser's Floating Disk inevitably grow to resemble Baron Harkonnen over time.

If you're not playing a Discworld wizard, perhaps consider doing so.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Kai Tave posted:

Ewwwwwww :stare:

I never understood why anybody would want to be carried on a litter as an actual form of transport. It's slower than an animal-drawn carriage and probably even bouncier, and the fancier ones don't even save space!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Davin Valkri posted:

I never understood why anybody would want to be carried on a litter as an actual form of transport. It's slower than an animal-drawn carriage and probably even bouncier, and the fancier ones don't even save space!
Pfffff. Even peasants can have animals draw their wagons. We are not peasants, are we? :smugwizard:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Davin Valkri posted:

The point is to demonstrate that you can force four people much fitter than you are to carry you around.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Davin Valkri posted:

an animal-drawn carriage

"Sorry, did you mean phantom steed?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Zombies' Downfall posted:

FR's pet name for hill dwarves in the same way they have moon elves and poo poo, and for example this is what they look like in the 3E FR book

There's also the gold dwarves of Dragonlance! (Spoilers: I love Dragonlance's dwarves. I don't care about literally any other aspect of their setting except maybe ogres and minotaurs but the dwarves own so much.)

See, Dragonlance dwarves come in multiple types, as per normal - the thanes of Kal-Thax. (And elsewhere; the dwarves elsewhere, however, are largely unimportant.)

The original thanes of Kal-Thax were the Daewar, the Theiwar, the Klar, the Daergar, the Einar and the Aghar.

The Daewar, known to men sometimes as "gold dwarves", are stereotypically blond-haired and lovers of the sun. Their skin tends to be somewhat darker, they are famous for loving gold decoration and intricate beard weaves, and for being proud to the point of arrogance. When other dwarves are mad at them, they call them 'goldmolders' and sneer at them for being soft and effete, much like gold. They are stereotypically merchants and craftsmen of luxuries.

The Theiwar are lanky dwarves, at home in shadow and darkness more than light. They description-wise are kind of ethnically Mongolian. They wear mesh facemasks in bright light because their eyes can't really handle it, tend to have short-trimmed beards and exceptionally long arms. They are stereotypically mistrustful, scheming and grumbly, and Thane Theiwar's always been kind of feuding with Thane Daewar.

The Klar are 'wild' dwarves - they are famously unkempt, with long and messy hair and beards, no patience for ceremony and a general disdain for anything especially complicated in general. They are somewhat infamous for trafficking in tamex (read: mercury), which is an addictive and dangerous dwarf drug, and for being berserkers on the battlefield. They are also notable for being excellent at underground farming and particularly at handling Kal-Thax's giant mining worms. Physically, they're pretty diverse, as I recall, tending to darker shades because they're one of the sun-lover thanes.

The Daergar are pale and shadowy dwarves who live in the deep tunnels. They are natural miners, and in fact are dark-adapted to the point that even normal light bothers them if not heavily filtered. They have black hair and beards and wear faceless iron masks to guard their eyes. They are the best miners of all the dwarf thanes, and also famously vengeful and vindictive when slighted - to the point where they have that whole 'never sheath your blade until it tastes blood' thing going on.

The Einar aren't a true thane - they're the 'hill dwarves', the ones who live outside the thanes and are 'other'. They herd sheep and live in little villages in the valleys and are generally unassuming.

The Aghar are gully dwarves - little, ugly, stupid and inarticulate. They bumble around, get lost and are there for comic relief because Dragonlance decided that everyone needs a comic relief subtype I guess? They are basically goofy little goblin-dwarves. They steal other people's garbage and raise rats for food.

The Hylar, formerly the Calnar, were a dwarf thane from a far-off place, which came to Kal-Thax after making a grave mistake that destroyed much of their original home. The Calnar are those who remained there, to rebuild and retreat into their mountains; they aren't important and in fact are never heard from again that I know of. But the Hylar, those who left, came to Kal-Thax after being educated in the ways of knights by a freelance human knight. They adapted these ways to dwarven tactics and are famously good leaders, if arrogant and standoffish. They're kinda tannish, with brown hair most of the time, and tend towards scholarship more than other thanes.

The Neidar are a thane made of dwarves from all other thanes (and many Einar) who decided they liked the sky more than the underground. They live outside the mines and delves, and are excellent horsemen. They are travelers, explorers and herders. They take the axe as their symbol, to be the counterpart to the hammer that represents the 'holgar' - the underground dwarves, which is what they call everyone else.

Now, the big trick here, as the Neidar should tell you, is that thane stereotypes aren't true, especially as time goes on - the thanes are different ethnicities but they're also social units, and as time and intermarriage happens, they get mixed up a lot. So you can have a dwarf that identifies as Thane Daewar but has the physical traits of a stereotypical Daergar or Theiwar.

also worth noting: other than the Daewar, most thanes have little use for ornamentation. The Hylar do go in for it, but generally in the form of 'look at this amazing craftsmanship.' The metal of the dwarves is steel, not gold.

it's me, i am the dwarfnerd

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 11, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Davin Valkri posted:

Fast and all terrain. If you need to go a hundred miles in a hurry and the Romans haven't conquered and thus compulsively built roads over the mountainous terrain you live in, you stuff the ambassador into a litter and get the people carrying it to haul rear end to the waystation a few miles along, where you swap them out for fresh dudes and repeat. Try to get a horse to run across rough terrain and you'll be out a horse pretty quick--so when speed is important (for reasons of disaster or if you're just worried about your guy getting assassinated) a litter's a very practical solution.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mystic Mongol posted:

Fast and all terrain. If you need to go a hundred miles in a hurry and the Romans haven't conquered and thus compulsively built roads over the mountainous terrain you live in, you stuff the ambassador into a litter and get the people carrying it to haul rear end to the waystation a few miles along, where you swap them out for fresh dudes and repeat. Try to get a horse to run across rough terrain and you'll be out a horse pretty quick--so when speed is important (for reasons of disaster or if you're just worried about your guy getting assassinated) a litter's a very practical solution.
And since you mentioned Romans: heavily crowded city streets count as rough terrain.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
They were the Pope-mobile of their day.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Davin Valkri posted:

"You want me to put my Boots of Elvenkind on the dirt? Vermin gently caress in the dirt. I'll deign not to leave my hoverdisk, thank you very much."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rasamune posted:

You never posted the answer to this riddle

nobody asked

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
gently caress it I don't need to eat lunch tomorrow.

As for litters, in a city they would put you up out of the dirt and the filth on the streets, separate you from ruffians, beggars and thieves and keep you from getting all sweaty and gross looking on your way to the fancy orgy party you're headed to or whatever. They also literally elevate you above others on the backs of the servants you are rich and powerful enough to have, so it was a status symbol.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Figured I might as well chip in another donation for the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Guys, I have something to admit. I have been a spy for the Gaming Police for years, infiltrating the black depths of the Council of Outrage Culture. I have in my hand a list of names transcript of a speech by the leader of the Trad Games Anarchists, Ettin, during the election for Tradgames Moderator.

quote:

"Comrades! Have we come here for this? Do we live underground like rats in order to listen to talk like this? This is talk we might listen to while eating buns at a Sunday School treat. Do we line these walls with weapons and bar that door with death lest anyone should come and hear Comrade Winson Paine saying to us, 'Be good, and you will be happy,' 'Honesty is the best policy,' and 'Virtue is its own reward'? There was not a word in Comrade Winson's address to which a curate could not have listened with pleasure. But I am not a curate, and I did not listen to it with pleasure. The man who is fitted to make a good curate is not fitted to make a resolute, forcible, and efficient Traditional Games Killer."

"Comrade Winson has told us, in only too apologetic a tone, that we are not the enemies of the hobby. But I say that we are the enemies of the hobby, and so much the worse for the hobby. We are the enemies of the hobby, for the hobby is the enemy of humanity, its oldest and its most pitiless enemy. Comrade Winson has told us (apologetically again) that we are not grognards. There I agree. We are not grognards, we are storygamers."

"Comrade Winson accuses me of hypocrisy. He knows as well as I do that I am keeping all my engagements and doing nothing but my duty. I do not mince words. I do not pretend to. I say that Comrade Winson is unfit to be Tradgames Destroyer for all his amiable qualities. He is unfit to be Tradgames Destroyer because of his amiable qualities. We do not want the Supreme Council of Tradgames Anarchy infected with a maudlin mercy. This is no time for ceremonial politeness, neither is it a time for ceremonial modesty. I set myself against Comrade Winson as I would set myself against all the Games of the Hobby, because the tradgames anarchist who has given himself to tradgames anarchy has forgotten modesty as much as he has forgotten pride. I am not a man at all. I am a cause. I set myself against Comrade Winson as impersonally and as calmly as I should choose one pistol rather than another out of that rack upon the wall; and I say that rather than have Winson and his milk-and-water methods on the Supreme Council, I would offer myself for election—"

And after he was made moderator:

quote:

"I do not go to the forums to rebut that slander that calls us the destroyers of traditional gaming; I go to earn it! To the DMs who says these men are the enemies of rulings, to the players who says these men are the enemies of immersion, to the pundit who says these men are the enemies of order and public decency, to all these I will reply, 'You are false grogs, but you are true prophets. I am come to destroy you, and to fulfil your prophecies.'"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gnome7 posted:

The Dwarf
The Halfling

What is this book that you're working on because I will probably buy it?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Did somebody do this Man who was Thursday thing before? I can't remember.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Tollymain posted:

the ghost of suzannah dean

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

huck finn at the opera

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

a cow with a speech impediment

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

yogi bear starting to look for his friend

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

a kazoo

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tollymain posted:

a hobbit trying to startle someone

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Winson Paine, unshackled from his star, ascends into his ultimate dad joke form.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Davin Valkri posted:

Did somebody do this Man who was Thursday thing before? I can't remember.

Someone did a McCarthy routine before which may be what you're thinking of.

Slimnoid posted:

So uh, what's the total up to now for goons who have donated?

Current total is :siren:$1669.07:siren:. Knock about a hundred off that if you're a dumb baby who doesn't take people at their word.

(51.25+10.25+51.25+102.50+11+50+15.37+51.25+10.25+10.25+10.25+30+52.53+25+10.25+10.50+41+10.25+10.25+77+51.25+50+
20.50+50+100+51.25+20.50+100+20.50+20.50+46.90+50+10.25+10.25+20+10.50+33+10.25+50+10.25+205+41+21+26.77)

e: Keeping this updated.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 11, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Winson, you are my hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
winson you have beaten me, but i will not disclose which was True

also i hope you like that glorantha thing i quoted