Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Incredible Ed posted:

You'd think they'd just start with a playoff victory. High hopes.

Well, according to the Many-Worlds Interpretation, all outcomes that can occur, must occur.

Still skeptical the Lions will win the Super Bowl in any world-line though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Sash! posted:

Well, according to the Many-Worlds Interpretation...

This isn't horrible QM posts from other forums.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I would like to visit the world-line where the Lions have won all 48 Super Bowls...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OctoberBlues posted:

I would like to visit the world-line where the Lions have won all 48 Super Bowls...

Also the one where the Bills have lost 48 straight Super Bowls

There's that one guy in Buffalo that would still be like THIS IS THE YEAR GUYS

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sash! posted:

Also the one where the Bills have lost 48 straight Super Bowls

There's that one guy in Buffalo that would still be like THIS IS THE YEAR GUYS

imagine if Jim Kelly gets some sort of Alzheimers and the only world he knows is 4 straight losses

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

go3 posted:

imagine if Jim Kelly gets some sort of Alzheimers and the only world he knows is 4 straight losses

If last night was any indication he would probably be happier

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
RE: Chris Rainey getting cut for messing with a fire extinguisher while Jim Irsay doesn't get suspended for his DUI/bag of drugs

A DUI/OWI is not really a big deal unless you actually affect someone's life through it (death/disability). Get off it people. I've had 2 DUI's; should I be ostracized by the community? F--- no. Playing with a fire ex is dangerous for the person, but also indirectly for the prevention of fire. Plus, he sucked as a football player. Irsay is a great owner.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

RE: Chris Rainey getting cut for messing with a fire extinguisher while Jim Irsay doesn't get suspended for his DUI/bag of drugs

A DUI/OWI is not really a big deal unless you actually affect someone's life through it (death/disability). Get off it people. I've had 2 DUI's; should I be ostracized by the community? F--- no. Playing with a fire ex is dangerous for the person, but also indirectly for the prevention of fire. Plus, he sucked as a football player. Irsay is a great owner.

Yup, you need to put that poo poo in quotes... immediately, son.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

thought this was a different thread

FeedingHam2Cats fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 8, 2014

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Not a football post but this is something some on said to me yesterday:

"Look, one guy lost his mind for a split second. He hit his wife. It happens.

The other guy decided to smoke pot, found a dealer, went to him, exchanged money for the pot, went to the store and bought papers or a bong or whatever, loaded up the pot, lit it and decided to smoke it. Probably repeatedly. He made a series of decisions, the other guy just lost his cool for one second. The suspensions make sense."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Not a football post but this is something some on said to me yesterday:

"Look, one guy lost his mind for a split second. He hit his wife. It happens.

The other guy decided to smoke pot, found a dealer, went to him, exchanged money for the pot, went to the store and bought papers or a bong or whatever, loaded up the pot, lit it and decided to smoke it. Probably repeatedly. He made a series of decisions, the other guy just lost his cool for one second. The suspensions make sense."

You can probably just tune that guy out from now on.

On another note, his father was probably an abusive dick.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

I'm less "people who drink and drive are HIIITLER" than a lot of people since cops are dicks and the current legal limit is in place for political reasons rather than particularly strong evidence pointing to serious impairment at .08 BAC or whatever

but also: Don't drink and drive ya dangus. For your health

Also if we're being honest, most people at some point in their lives have gone to a party or a happy hour or whatever and they've made a questionable decision to drive home. It's possible they weren't even over the limit, but it's definitely possible they were. They didn't get pulled over and they didn't have a wreck. The next day they probably vowed not to do that again, and they may or may not have kept that vow. It's not an OK thing to do, and it should definitely have legal consequences, but at least in borderline cases it probably shouldn't get someone labeled as a horrible monster.

e: Driving shitfaced drunk is obviously different, and should carry a more serious social stigma along with the legal consequences.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 8, 2014

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

quote:

I've had 2 DUI's; should I be ostracized by the community?

In Indiana they call this guy a light drinker.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you're pulled over and blow a .09 yeah you're fine and that's hosed but people drive hammered all the time and it's so loving dumb

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Ok back on topic I just read this amazing post explaining why Charlie Strong is going to leave Texas for Florida if Muschamp gets fired.

quote:

espn. they go to him and say, 'come on, charlie. let's be reasonable. you want to be a huge success and the bell cow that ushers in the era of the african head coaches. we want that, too, and we can help you more than you can imagine if you'll only play ball with us and go where we tell you to go. if you stay where you are, you'll have to fight us the whole way, and we can make things difficult for you. you play ball with us and you are assured of success. you fight us, and we limit your success. don't you owe it to that next generation to do the smart thing?'

how is he going to respond to that? is he the hard head i think he is and win despite them, or does he play along. i do worry about that.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That dude is easily the worst poster on the Shag.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

buddhanc posted:

That dude is easily the worst poster on the Shag.

Which is really quite an accomplishment.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Literally the first time in my entire life I have heard the phrase "bell cow" either literally or metaphorically and the fact that its for a black person makes me really uncomfortable.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Literally the first time in my entire life I have heard the phrase "bell cow" either literally or metaphorically and the fact that its for a black person makes me really uncomfortable.
Do you not watch football or

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you've never heard of a big 3-down RB referred to as "the bell-cow back" you're doing good, because it means you're probably not listening to football news.

That being said, are you sure you follow football?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chris de Sperg posted:

Do you not watch football or

Pretty sure he is quoting some idiot on his facebook feed or something AND HE DIDN'T USE loving QUOTES AGAIN SO EVERYONE IS JUST ASSUMING IT IS HIM BECAUSE HE IS A BIG DUMMY WHO IS TOO LAZY TO QUOTE.

:mad:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Pretty sure he is quoting some idiot on his facebook feed or something AND HE DIDN'T USE loving QUOTES AGAIN SO EVERYONE IS JUST ASSUMING IT IS HIM BECAUSE HE IS A BIG DUMMY WHO IS TOO LAZY TO QUOTE.

:mad:

No I seriously never heard Bell Cow in my entire life

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No I seriously never heard Bell Cow in my entire life

You have an avatar of a college football talent pundit/draft guru, and you've NEVER heard someone referred to as "the bell-cow back?" That's impressive.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hilarious that you immediately jump to it being racial.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

warcrimes posted:

Hilarious that you immediately jump to it being racial.

Isn't that a monicker used to describe female running backs in the south?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

You have an avatar of a college football talent pundit/draft guru, and you've NEVER heard someone referred to as "the bell-cow back?" That's impressive.

I legit feel like I have stepped into some alternate dimension

Chichevache posted:

Hey guys I just heard the announcers refer to how Ray Rice does a great job "hitting that ho" on a run up the middle and I wanted to know if it was racist?!?!?!

Et tu Chiv? :smith:

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 11, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Hey guys I just heard the announcers refer to how Ray Rice does a great job "hitting that ho" on a run up the middle and I wanted to know if it was racist?!?!?!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I legit feel like I have stepped into some alternate dimension

I feel like throwing out all kinds of buzzwords now just to see what sticks.

Game Manager
Every-Down Back
Speedster
Possession Receiver
Pocket Presence
Swim Move
Cut
Second Level
Nickel
Big Nickel
0-technique

You know all of these, right? How have you never heard bell-cow back?

I'm not mad, nor do I want to insinuate that not having heard this before somehow makes you lovely at liking football; I'm just super-impressed. This is just a boiler-plate term, not some weird-rear end rule that you'd expect people to ask about.

Chichevache posted:

Never change, Chiche.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
you appear to be mad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

I'm not mad, nor do I want to insinuate that not having heard this before somehow makes you lovely at liking football; I'm just super-impressed. This is just a boiler-plate term, not some weird-rear end rule that you'd expect people to ask about.

Oh don't worry there is way more evidence I am lovely football fan than this. Hell, this doesn't even break the top ten.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

you appear to be mad

He appears bewildered and slightly dumbfounded to me.

VVVVVVV
:laffo:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
it's ok old man i thought they were saying Belkow (city in Poland??? confusing football fever dream) and don't get me started on the Mesh Point (military academy for bros wearing bball shorts and sandals??)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I could hear this expression 500 times a day for the rest of my life and it would never cross my mind there was anything racial about it. I swear sometimes I think people wake up in the morning determined to find something new which is offensive to them before the day ends.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've never heard "bell-cow back" before, but I also don't pay any attention to ESPN.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Volkerball posted:

I've never heard "bell-cow back" before, but I also don't pay any attention to ESPN.

It's one of the oldest sports cliches around, which explains why people aren't familiar with it because it really isn't in general usage anymore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

It's one of the oldest sports cliches around, which explains why people aren't familiar with it because it really isn't in general usage anymore.

Yeah it's kind of like how defensive linemen used to have nothing but paws. You'd never hear about someone getting their hand on a pass, it was always a big paw for some reason.

Also I've heard lots of stuff in regular life referred to as a bell cow something. Not terribly often, but not super rare either. Like, a company's best product, a person in a certain group, college programs. Maybe it's used more often in different parts of the country or something?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I watch a lot of football and a normal amount of ESPN etc during the season and I have never heard it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This seems like a good thread to play with this tool:

http://deadspin.com/which-words-are-used-to-describe-white-and-black-nfl-pr-1573683214

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, I guess it is loving racist...

Add 1 more black player for bell-cow

Also, alleged is a funny search.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Attention, attention. Scrappy more likely to describe black players. Please, re-adjust your prejudices accordingly.

(edit: check out smart)

Jerome Agricola fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 12, 2014

• Locked thread