Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Somebody stop him, he's gone insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Maltose posted:

Winson Paine, unshackled from his star, ascends into his ultimate dad joke form.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Davin Valkri posted:

Did somebody do this Man who was Thursday thing before? I can't remember.

He had turned his eyes so as to see suddenly the great face of Mormon Star Wars, which wore a strange smile.

"Have you," Ettin cried in a dreadful voice, "have you ever suffered?"

As he gazed, the great face grew to an awful size, grew larger than the colossal mask of Memnon, which had made him scream as a child. It grew larger and larger, filling the whole sky; then everything went black. Only in the blackness before it entirely destroyed his brain he seemed to hear a distant voice saying a commonplace text that he had heard somewhere, "lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muhammadun rasūlu-llāh"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
If we're still doing a thing.

At least now I can feel like I've finally done something useful.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Guys, I have something to admit. I have been a spy for the Gaming Police for years, infiltrating the black depths of the Council of Outrage Culture. I have in my hand a list of names transcript of a speech by the leader of the Trad Games Anarchists, Ettin, during the election for Tradgames Moderator.

I asked Ettin: what is it you object to? You want to abolish roleplaying?

quote:

To abolish Grog! We do not only want to upset a few old-school gamers and rpgsite posters moderators; that sort of gaming does exist, but it is a mere branch of the OSR. We dig deeper and we blow you higher. We wish to deny all those arbitrary distinctions of attribute and save, armour class and THAC0, upon which mere tradgamers base themselves. The silly sentimentalists of the Forge talked of playing Story First! We hate Story as we hate Games. We have abolished Story and Game.

But Ettin, we never hated you.

quote:

You never hated because you never lived. I know what you are all of you, from first to last - you are the Old School! You are the Gaming Police - the great fat, smiling men in neckbeards and faded heavy metal t-shirts! You are the OSR, and you have never been broken. But is there a free soul alive that does not long to break you, only because you have never been broken? We on SA talk all kind of nonsense doubtless about this crime or that crime of ZakS. It is all folly! The only crime of ZakS is that he is ZakS. The unpardonable sin of the supreme Pundit is that it is supreme. I do not curse you for being obtuse. I do not curse you (though I might) for being harassers. I curse you for being grogs! You sit in your reinforced chairs of stone, and can not lever yourselves out of them. You are the seven neckbeards of heaven, and you have had no troubles. Oh, I could forgive you everything, you that rule all of gaming, if I could feel for once that you had suffered for one hour a real storygame such as I...

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Cool.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

DigitalRaven posted:

To abolish Grog! We do not only want to upset a few old-school gamers and rpgsite posters moderators; that sort of gaming does exist, but it is a mere branch of the OSR. We dig deeper and we blow you higher. We wish to deny all those arbitrary distinctions of attribute and save, armour class and THAC0, upon which mere tradgamers base themselves. The silly sentimentalists of the Forge talked of playing Story First! We hate Story as we hate Games. We have abolished Story and Game.

:vince:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was unmoved by your arguments* until you started quoting Chesterton. I am now prepared to wholeheartedly support whatever it is you are talking about!

*not actually

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I was unmoved by your arguments* until you started quoting Chesterton. I am now prepared to wholeheartedly support whatever it is you are talking about!

*not actually

The Man Who Was Thursday is legit one of my favourite books. I only got introduced to it when it was quoted in the original Deus Ex, but I caught up fast.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Might as well, it's for a good cause.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 11, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I posted the finished version of my Boxer parody in the modrons thread

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Yalborap posted:

The problem I have with Drizzt isn't Drizzt, it's the drow as an always-chaotic-evil race of EEEVIL MAAAATRIAAARCHS *spooky ghosts noises*.

Essentially, if you just retcon the drow into being a varied and interesting species full of people of all different beliefs, morals, and lifestyles, and Drizzt was only rebelling against a hosed-up family unit instead of the entire goddamned rest of his species...

Well, I mean, that'd steal some of Drizzt's thunder, but still.

The Drow only seem silly until you think about it from a game design perspective

What are the two scariest things in the world to spindly, middle-class white male nerds?

-Black people
-Girls
*Sub-Scary Thing: Girls talking to you in an authoritative manner.

Drow have it all. They are the perfect most scariest villains.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

More donations to the pile

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Stormgale posted:

Holy poo poo dude :stare:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Stormgale posted:

Slimnoid posted:

Holy poo poo dude :stare:

I know, right?

What the heck happened to your computer to gently caress up that font so badly? My eyes hurt just looking at it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What is this book that you're working on because I will probably buy it?

My book is called Fellowship, and it is a Powered by the Apocalypse fantasy system mostly based on Dungeon World, but with some fairly major edits. It is similar enough that it can be used with Dungeon World stuff but I basically rewrote all of the core moves in the book, so it can be used as a stand-alone product as well.

I wrote a preview consisting of the playbooks' descriptions here, along with some artwork: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ePKUhH5i1yl2ySxTXPSXID1NRA2JHC_5pzA0YGmhDAQ/edit

I'll have a playtest version available by the end of the week, and if everything goes smoothly it'll be out for sale before October.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

gnome7 posted:

My book is called Fellowship, and it is a Powered by the Apocalypse fantasy system mostly based on Dungeon World, but with some fairly major edits. It is similar enough that it can be used with Dungeon World stuff but I basically rewrote all of the core moves in the book, so it can be used as a stand-alone product as well.

I wrote a preview consisting of the playbooks' descriptions here, along with some artwork: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ePKUhH5i1yl2ySxTXPSXID1NRA2JHC_5pzA0YGmhDAQ/edit

I'll have a playtest version available by the end of the week, and if everything goes smoothly it'll be out for sale before October.

Count me in for playtesting if you're looking for testers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty hype

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Have to get new tires this weekend, but I can swing some at least.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Error 404 posted:

Count me in for playtesting if you're looking for testers.

Sure. I'll post an open call for playtesters in the Dungeon World thread when I've got that ready to go, consider yourself on the "in" list.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
£20 to PACE (Mental health charity for LGBT), but I don't have a screenshot to it.

It saved me from spending silly, silly money (today at least) on an out of print rpg book I lost and want to replace

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

gnome7 posted:

Sure. I'll post an open call for playtesters in the Dungeon World thread when I've got that ready to go, consider yourself on the "in" list.

I'll keep an eye on the DW thread, but yeah, I'm interested too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gnome7 posted:

That's pretty awesome. I'll definitely pick it up in October.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

poo poo guys I think something's going wrong can you check these images for me?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

(for $10 BTW)

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Stormgale posted:

poo poo guys I think something's going wrong can you check these images for me?

Wow.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
subtle

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

gnome7 posted:

This looks swag as gently caress. If I may be so bold as to inquire, who did the art? The style looks very familiar.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Kind of getting into Dr. Doom territory here, yeah?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
That's not evidence of anything though, that's just rows of dots cleverly arranged in a pattern of colors that just happens to portray Zak as a fuckin' creepazoid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Asymmetrikon posted:

That's not evidence of anything though, that's just rows of dots cleverly arranged in a pattern of colors that just happens to portray Zak as a fuckin' creepazoid.

And that's what we call gestalt psychology! :art101:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess he's going all out on this cartoon villain thing

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
That's just him telling people to harass people though. There's no way he could have known that people were going to harass the person he told his people to harass. He's not a fortune teller.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I guess the meta filter link is to the discussion about how awful zak is, what did the other guy do?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Cassa posted:

I guess the meta filter link is to the discussion about how awful zak is, what did the other guy do?

I'm assuming linked to the Failforward article, but it looks like the tweet's since been deleted.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ratpick posted:

This looks swag as gently caress. If I may be so bold as to inquire, who did the art? The style looks very familiar.

The art for all of the playbooks was done by Clove, who I talked about earlier in the thread:

gnome7 posted:

They're by Hans Heisler, internet name Clove. They're basically the best artist I've ever worked with and they're also doing work for Golden Sky Stories right now. You can find their art here: http://cloveochai.tumblr.com/

The Overlord's art is done by Katherine Jenkins, also known as Crossfrown. It's just a sketch, she's working on it right now. Her art can be found here: http://crossyarts.tumblr.com/

The Overlord is a playbook for the GM to use. It's something special.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Tollymain posted:

i guess he's going all out on this cartoon villain thing
Seriously, his response to people saying that he's awful for certain things is basically to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's awful in completely different ways, which is better because

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh no someone violated his trust by infiltrating his Council of Doom and feeding info to his enemies! What kind of monster would do such a thing? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks, it's always nice to find more great artists to follow on Tumblr!

gnome7 posted:

The Overlord is a playbook for the GM to use. It's something special.

I'm absolutely in love with this idea. Does the GM get to make choices as to what types of moves the Overlord has?

Between Inverse World and all the Mage playbooks I've already thrown insane amounts of money at you already, but you seem to be making it really hard for me to stop.

• Locked thread