Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

No it doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've never heard it either. I can't even figure out what its supposed to mean anyhow and I grew up spending summers on a dairy farm. You'd figure the origin has something to do with, you know, actual cows.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Sash! posted:

I've never heard it either. I can't even figure out what its supposed to mean anyhow and I grew up spending summers on a dairy farm. You'd figure the origin has something to do with, you know, actual cows.

Well it has. A bell cow is the lead cow of the herd with a bell around its neck. The ringing of the bell making the herd easier to find or some such bull, I don't know I'm not a cowboy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
the cow with the bell was the most valuable cow, and led the other cows in and out of the barn (my dad was a farmer, a family of farmers)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've never actually seen a cow wearing a bell outside of the movies.

We just opened the gate and the cows knew what to do.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I've never heard that used in reference to football. I'm not as astute as many are around here, but you know...that's pretty esoteric.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I've heard it used this season to describe Toby Gerhart's role in Jacksonville.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ahaha someone just sent me hatemail for not knowing what bell cow meant

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Never heard bell cow before in close to 25 years of following college and NFL football. I'd have to guess it's regional, or the PAC-10/12 and AFC/NFC west just don't have them.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mr. Fix It posted:

Never heard bell cow before in close to 25 years of following college and NFL football. I'd have to guess it's regional, or the PAC-10/12 and AFC/NFC west just don't have them.

Haha, get a load of this dipshit that's never heard of a bell cow back.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr. Fix It posted:

I'm really starting to wonder if its an SEC/Southern football thing because it sounds folksy as all hell and I swear I've never heard a Big-10 player referred to by it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Well I'm a bandwagon fan who only started watching the Seahawks during the actual Super Bowl, but I've heard it. :shrug:

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
I think we may be reaching derail mass in this thread (does it matter, I don't know I'm not a forums cowboy), but it's a fairly common term that I see regularly on sites like rotoworld, football outsiders etc.

vvvv Oh, that might actually be it. I follow a number of fantasy sites and seem to run into the term constantly.

Jerome Agricola fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 12, 2014

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm actually sort of befuddled by people who haven't heard bell cow back. To be fair I'm filtering through where I've heard it and it's usually in fantasy football circles. That might be the difference.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm really starting to wonder if its an SEC/Southern football thing because it sounds folksy as all hell and I swear I've never heard a Big-10 player referred to by it.

Internet searchery seems to indicate no region pattern. This is vexing.

Sure wasn't something in Western PA. I remember Feature Back being a huge buzzword a while back.

Spoeank posted:

it's usually in fantasy football circles

I think you're on to something. The overwhelming majority of articles and forum mentions that I found are fantasy related.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

does this count as a bad post on a forum?

regarding the convicted steubenville player

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
"Bell cow" got used this past season when Dion Sanders (I think) called Forte one after he scored against Green Bay. It ain't terribly common, but it's still being used.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pillsburysoldier posted:

does this count as a bad post on a forum?

regarding the convicted steubenville player

They let that gently caress back?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's the only explanation.

All I could think of was someone in Gainesville would say that.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

TyroneGoldstein posted:

That's the only explanation.

All I could think of was someone in Gainesville would say that.

Except it's not, several west coasters(including myself) have already said they're familiar with the term.

Again, it's an old phrase. It basically means your best player. And we've probably talked about it way too long.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Chichevache posted:

They let that gently caress back?

Yeeeeeep. i remember him at least being contrite at the trial, but his accomplice was outwardly combative and a shitheel to boot. I wonder what he was sentenced with.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Just to chime in - I've watched rear end tons of football for the past 10 years, posted on forums about it, and have, before today, never heard "bellcow" before. I even live in the midwest, surrounded by farmers, and haven't even heard it in that context.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

warcrimes posted:

Again, it's an old phrase. It basically means your best player. And we've probably talked about it way too long.

Good point, let's move on to the possible homophobic implications of the expression "bum steer"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Well I'm a bandwagon fan who only started watching the Seahawks during the actual Super Bowl, but I've heard it. :shrug:

That's probably because Marshawn Lynch actually is a bellcow back.

It makes sense to me that people on the West Coast wouldn't have heard of a bellcow back. The West Coast Offense is passing centric, whereas the smash-mouth brand of football that makes the SEC so popular is built around big-rear end linemen and big-rear end running backs.

warcrimes posted:

Except it's not, several west coasters(including myself) have already said they're familiar with the term.

And then I read this and I wonder if it's just people filtering buzzwords when listening to broadcasts. Does anyone understand half the poo poo Jon Gruden says? No, and he's still loving awsome!

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 12, 2014

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Frank Gore has been the 49ers' "bell cow" for years, according to local media, but I had no idea that it was a widespread term and not just a weird thing made up specifically for him.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Heard the phrase a lot, but mostly with fantasy football. I have always understood it to be the opposite of the runningback by committee that a lot of teams use since runningbacks get beat the gently caress up so hard.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jesus Christ you nerds we have a mega derail solely because people need a hivemind opinion to validate their football intelligence solely because you may or may not have heard the term bell cow before

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Jesus Christ you nerds we have a mega derail solely because people need a hivemind opinion to validate their football intelligence solely because you may or may not have heard the term bell cow before

Guess what team doesn't have a bellcow.

The Dolphins.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We don't have a lot of things you hear mentioned as a tired sports cliche like "an offensive mastermind" or "franchise quarterback" or "chance to go the distance"

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
A few years ago I was at a bar with my girl and another couple. Just trying to enjoy some wings and a beer. Since I’ve always hated football it didn’t occur to me it was Sunday mid game. So there we were. Surrounded by fat drunk loud mouth blabbering slobs of all varieties. the fat butch wearing the oversized jersey and sideways hat (borderline Down syndrome). Ugh just thinking about years later makes my blood boil. They were bumping our table screaming in our ears. Amongst other things. One got in my face demanding to know why we weren’t into the game. I’d had it. A year long court case ensued. Me unharmed. Them, broken noses, teeth knocked out extra. Police came and actually turned taped the area off as a crime scene . Hey football tards! Don’t scream at and touch the girl friend of a 300 lbs bodybuilder who’s been doing kickboxing since he could walk. Idiots!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Thermos H Christ posted:

A few years ago I was at a bar with my girl and another couple. Just trying to enjoy some wings and a beer. Since I’ve always hated football it didn’t occur to me it was Sunday mid game. So there we were. Surrounded by fat drunk loud mouth blabbering slobs of all varieties. the fat butch wearing the oversized jersey and sideways hat (borderline Down syndrome). Ugh just thinking about years later makes my blood boil. They were bumping our table screaming in our ears. Amongst other things. One got in my face demanding to know why we weren’t into the game. I’d had it. A year long court case ensued. Me unharmed. Them, broken noses, teeth knocked out extra. Police came and actually turned taped the area off as a crime scene . Hey football tards! Don’t scream at and touch the girl friend of a 300 lbs bodybuilder who’s been doing kickboxing since he could walk. Idiots!

Did the whole barroom break into applause after?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

We were the fat drunk loud mouth blabbering slobs of all varieties the entire time

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Really want to see a 300 lb. kickboxer. If you google "300 lb kickboxer" right now, you get training equipment, not people.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Anals of History posted:

Really want to see a 300 lb. kickboxer. If you google "300 lb kickboxer" right now, you get training equipment, not people.

To be fair, he said 300lb body builder... who also kick boxes.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thaddius the Large posted:

Did the whole barroom break into applause after?

Probably, right before he beat them down for making noise at a bar.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

He missed a prime opportunity to say he was a Navy SEAL as well

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Ive been kick boxing since birth *hefts all 330 lbs out of bar chair* taste my steel, ruffians

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I'm also a "kickboxer", because once in a while when I go to the gym I put on gloves and do sets of punch/kick combos on a bag for cardio while making Bruce Lee noises

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

football fuckerman posted:

Ive been kick boxing since birth *hefts all 330 lbs out of bar chair* taste my steel, ruffians

This kid is unreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
At that size you're more likely to be a strongman but whatever let the insecure gym rat rattle off his poo poo.

Nothing is funnier than watching a bulk lifter try to do martial arts. It goes like clockwork every time and they end up on the ground with NO idea how the 185 lb guy just flipped him on his rear end

• Locked thread