Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Froghammer posted:

Anybody else remember when Wyzard (who is a lawyer) showed up in one of G+ his threads and explained to him that he couldn't actually sue someone because they said something he didn't like?

Because I remember when that happened.

He was so close to sending his litigation to a mostly abandoned farmhouse in rural south Iceland, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While you can wall off your garden perhaps more effectively on G+, if that's what you want (e.g., Zak's clubhouse), I've found most people I give any shits about don't really do that. I also just like the interface and control better than Facebook, and there's certainly less obtrusive advertisement. And, as has been mentioned, it's much more conducive to actually getting games going.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Rulebook Heavily posted:

He was so close to sending his litigation to a mostly abandoned farmhouse in rural south Iceland, too.

I had meant to post a while back that the continual fall of GMS was a sad subplot to this whole ordeal. My opinion of him before was that he was just bullish and overly-aggressive to his critics. If you look at his non-RPG related posts you see a guy who seems like a genuinely good person, and seeing him throw his lot in with Zak, almost %100, is sad. Even StephenLS tried to talk some sense into him via twitter.

I think at this point he's just too shell shocked from the whole Far West ordeal. I have no doubt that people have said and done some awful poo poo to him as a result of the delay, and I think he just see trolls wherever he goes. Naturally, he'll defend anyone against what he perceives as trolling. It's impossible for him to see the forest for the trees at this point.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

So I guess it's kinda late 'cos busy busy and I donated to a trans-specific nonprofit I really like instead of the Trevor Project :ohdear: but here's a thing

in loving memory of elminster goddessboner, and may flights of whizzards sing thee to thy rest

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 12, 2014

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Bosushi! posted:

I had meant to post a while back that the continual fall of GMS was a sad subplot to this whole ordeal. My opinion of him before was that he was just bullish and overly-aggressive to his critics. If you look at his non-RPG related posts you see a guy who seems like a genuinely good person, and seeing him throw his lot in with Zak, almost %100, is sad. Even StephenLS tried to talk some sense into him via twitter.

I think at this point he's just too shell shocked from the whole Far West ordeal. I have no doubt that people have said and done some awful poo poo to him as a result of the delay, and I think he just see trolls wherever he goes. Naturally, he'll defend anyone against what he perceives as trolling. It's impossible for him to see the forest for the trees at this point.

It's really just a matter of people wanting the people they support to be good people. But they're not, people are flawed and part of maturing should be learning your flaws and trying to change them. It's hard not to fall back to the Geek Social Fallacies, because they really are applicable to a hobby that has tons of people that define themselves by their (perceived) detractors instead of maturing past them.

If you really support GMS/Zak/whoever you would never bring up how they act terribly, but since you do bring it up you must be a Bad Person and as such deserve no respect in any way, nevermind that you'd prefer that they act like decent people and would love to support them if they did.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For the record GMS has always been a huge dumb dorklord even before Far West was a twinkle in his eye. I admit that it's grown more pronounced over the years but it wasn't like he was some super cool and laid-back dude who turned angry and bitter because of trolls. Remember, this is a guy who, when someone "trolled" him on RPGnet by registering an account with a similar name to his, posted his phone number for everybody to see and dared them to call him. He is not a clever man, is what I'm saying.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
$2000 and still no one has answered any questions.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Cassa posted:

Whatcha wanna know, man

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cassa posted:

No Elminster's last name is not actually goddessboner

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Rasamune posted:

Whatcha wanna know, man

I picked up a copy of the Riddle of Steel for twelve bucks the other day, was that a good deal?

$2026.68.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cassa posted:

Last Stand 2: Last Stander happened, what more do you want?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

Right, "Goddessboner" is a title bestowed upon him.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Would you say it was thrust upon him?

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Last Stand 2: Last Stander happened, what more do you want?

A $2000 name. I'm greedy, what can I say.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Arivia posted:

but how do we really know I mean I have yet to see definitive proof that it is not in fact Goddessboner

if you can point to something in the Forgotten Realms canon that specifically says "Elminster's surname is definitely not Goddessboner" i'd love to see it :smuggo:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rasamune posted:

Whatcha wanna know, man

What can change the nature of a dude

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Faith, regret, or nothing. Take your pick.

Or, y'know. Transgenic retrovirals or something like that.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Welp only able to donate $10 right now, I'll donate another $10 on Friday.

XTOwl
Aug 22, 2013

Tulul posted:

I picked up a copy of the Riddle of Steel for twelve bucks the other day, was that a good deal?

$2026.68.

Yes. One went on ebay for $40 earlier this month (here). It's also a really good game. If you like Burning Wheel you'll be jazzed.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Mormon Star Wars posted:

There is no right answer--you'd have accepted anything, as long as it got you ten bucks.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Motherfucker, why did no one tell me they're doing a 13th age Glorantha hack? Kickstarter goes live on the 27th apparently.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
re: Zak poo poo, there's levels to this. I posted the images on G+ last night, so the response is for the Zak & The Zakites clown car to turn up. He really has just one response on being challenged.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Tulul posted:

$2026.68.

Do you like nicely detailed rules for melee combat? Do you like being Conan of Cimmeria? If so, yes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ningyou posted:

in loving memory of elminster goddessboner, and may flights of whizzards sing thee to thy rest

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tulul posted:

$2026.68.

Think of whatever the most complicated melee combat system you've ever played was. Was that not complicated enough for you? If so, Riddle of Steel is probably a good buy. If not, no.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

quote:

No matter where you go, there won't be a Buckaroo Bonzai RPG.

Seriously, he hasn't even finished Far West, and is just sitting on the drat license. And now all of this.

He's actively making GBS threads on my childhood.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

Arivia we know you love Forgotten Realms a lot but please don't try to hide the truth.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Being fair, Elminster does have an actual last name. It's just that it's Aumar, and no one can hear it without making constant "The Wire" references and wishing he were played by Michael K. Williams.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I think that change alone would make FR 10000000000000x better.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Although given Elminster's predilection for boning goddesses, "Elminster comin'" takes on a new and awful meaning.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I still think that Ed should retire Elminster and replace him with Lemmy Kilmister.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

I still think that Ed should retire Elminster and replace him with Lemmy Kilmister.
Lemmy is busy as the mayor of Drinking Town.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

You mean Mirt the Moneylender? Or the sublime Finder Wyvernspur?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TheSoundNinja posted:

Seriously, he hasn't even finished Far West, and is just sitting on the drat license. And now all of this.

He's actively making GBS threads on my childhood.

There's already a Buckaroo Banzai RPG, it's called the Atomic Robo RPG. You can run BB with it pretty much out of the box.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Arivia posted:

You mean Mirt the Moneylender? Or the sublime Finder Wyvernspur?
Isn't Finder the god of dinosaurs?

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Froghammer posted:

Isn't Finder the god of dinosaurs?

So you agree that Finder is basically the best god Faerun has to offer?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
No, that's Ubtao.

Finder is just a human bard whose unusual quest for immortality and apotheosis was the centre of a kinda neat novel trilogy, The Finder's Stone. Because of this, he has a very odd portfolio, which is just a mixture of random stuff he had something to do with in the novels. So he is simultaneously a god of Saurials (proto-Dragonborn), reckless fools, and the transformation of art.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Cassa posted:

I will answer questions at this point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

I will answer questions at this point.
What does your username mean?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'm down for answering questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm down for answering questions.

WHERE DID YOU HIDE THE BODIES?!

• Locked thread