Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure that adversarial alert was bugged, unless I'm missing something. TR captured more than 35%, the alert ended, and it was a draw. :soe:

Also whoever gave out advice on the gun attachments with the tl;dr advice being 'foregrip' was right. Even on a CQC gun like the HV45, it's way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

If you have certs to burn try the Bandit imho.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
The best thing about playing during Euro hours is the lack of giant hell ergs, although even then PHX and AOD manage to conjure up normal, heh, zeros which at least don't cause my PC to poo poo itself.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I just wish off-hours emerald NC and TR would stop slamming their dicks into the regent rock/xenotech fight over and over. I get it, people love Indar and its the only continent with pop, but uuugggh. Woo VS get to ghost-cap down until we hit quartz ridge on the west and the NC warpgate on the east!

That said VS command chat either ignores me due to goku tags or just sends weird whispers instead of responses in leader and command chat when I used orders. I just wanted our half squad to snake in down to tawrich and get into a 3-way, but our elite leaders (gotta love negator) wanted to ghost-cap another continent or just drag the largest group of vs to empty bases on Indar instead. Is all the strangeness in command chat from the Waterson merge or what?

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

A Tartan Tory posted:

On a battle rifle and a ghost maybe, but they generally trend to 4x even then.

3.4 dot scopes are the goddamn worst.

On the other hand, 3.4 crosshair scopes (at least for the NC) are goddamn amazing. I put them on just about everything AC-X11, TROSS, SAW, GD-22S. The only guns I don't put it on in the NC arsenal are the jackhammer which takes a 6X scope and the Cyclone which uses 1X red dot.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

mag posted:

Hey, I need some gun-advice. Now that I've auraxed my AC-X11, I'm trying to decide which carbine to slog through next. My gut is telling me to knock out the GD-7F or Merc. Anyone else think differently? Preferred attachments on whatever you'd recommend would be pretty cool, too.

Do the Merc you fool, it owns.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

On a battle rifle and a ghost maybe, but they generally trend to 4x even then.

3.4 dot scopes are the goddamn worst.

They'd be OK if they didn't fill up the entire screen with the scope body. I'd love a 3.4x reflex :ohdear:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Everyone would, which is why they don't exist.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't think anything can fix hellzerging and ghostcapping. Not even the old hex system could fix it, although the lattice does channel it. The fact of the matter is like 90% of the people who play this game are absolute poo poo at it. Whether that's due lack of skill, lovely computers that choke when they try to get kills, they're new, lag, whatever, they're not ever going to do as well at it as people with good computers and skill at the game. For them it will never make sense to break up, split off, and start smaller and more interesting fights. They will always, always ball up with whatever outfit mass-invites them or that they auto-squad into and go to the same place 100-200 other people are going.

This is clearly something SOE didn't anticipate and something they have no idea how to fix. I mean, it's telling that the max size for a pop indicator is 48v48, right? I see fights that actually hover around the 48v48 number maybe once a week. Otherwise 48v48 is a euphemism for 100v100, and the bases in this game are not set up for that poo poo. It's supposed to be a massive war, not an empty continent and 300 people fighting for control of a Burger King. The servers can't handle it, people's clients can't handle it, and there's like twelve other bases that people could be fighting at but won't because somebody has to make the first move and then somebody has to respond, and nobody ever will.

There's no fix for this. You can't make people play better even if you think they'd want to, you can't induce them or punish them if you make it possible for them to throw a hundred assholes in one place. That's why other FPS games just have to cap the number of people playing. If you want a 16v16, you set the cap to 16v16 and then the server generally fills to that number. It's why MMORPG raids have player caps, it harkens back to the days of a hundred people wave-rushing EverQuest raid bosses, the natural inclination of the MMO player is to hellzerg if you allow them to.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
At least in EQ you could train huge mobs into those idiots as revenge, this game punishes you for it. :sigh:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nakar posted:

I don't think anything can fix hellzerging and ghostcapping. Not even the old hex system could fix it, although the lattice does channel it. The fact of the matter is like 90% of the people who play this game are absolute poo poo at it. Whether that's due lack of skill, lovely computers that choke when they try to get kills, they're new, lag, whatever, they're not ever going to do as well at it as people with good computers and skill at the game. For them it will never make sense to break up, split off, and start smaller and more interesting fights. They will always, always ball up with whatever outfit mass-invites them or that they auto-squad into and go to the same place 100-200 other people are going.

This is clearly something SOE didn't anticipate and something they have no idea how to fix. I mean, it's telling that the max size for a pop indicator is 48v48, right? I see fights that actually hover around the 48v48 number maybe once a week. Otherwise 48v48 is a euphemism for 100v100, and the bases in this game are not set up for that poo poo. It's supposed to be a massive war, not an empty continent and 300 people fighting for control of a Burger King. The servers can't handle it, people's clients can't handle it, and there's like twelve other bases that people could be fighting at but won't because somebody has to make the first move and then somebody has to respond, and nobody ever will.

There's no fix for this. You can't make people play better even if you think they'd want to, you can't induce them or punish them if you make it possible for them to throw a hundred assholes in one place. That's why other FPS games just have to cap the number of people playing. If you want a 16v16, you set the cap to 16v16 and then the server generally fills to that number. It's why MMORPG raids have player caps, it harkens back to the days of a hundred people wave-rushing EverQuest raid bosses, the natural inclination of the MMO player is to hellzerg if you allow them to.

It is very fixable. "Nanite Overdraw" - When there is more than 'X' people from a faction in a region spawn times are slowed exponentially and resource gains are taxed.

Want to stick 300 people in a Hex? Enjoy 60 second respawns and 0 resource gain.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yes that sounds like a great way to get people to not play this video game.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Manslaughter posted:

Yes that sounds like a great way to get people to not play this video game.

So is keeping the Hellzergs.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Zerging is half the draw of the game, they're not going to do anything to change it. You guys might not like it and I stay away from any hex with 48+, but I would wager the average players really like and seek out the massive firefights.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 12, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Xae posted:

It is very fixable. "Nanite Overdraw" - When there is more than 'X' people from a faction in a region spawn times are slowed exponentially and resource gains are taxed.

Want to stick 300 people in a Hex? Enjoy 60 second respawns and 0 resource gain.
See your problem is you think this will matter to them. If they're ghostcapping they won't need to respawn, and if someone does respond and start fighting them they'll probably just stay there anyway. Hell, those people probably spend most of their time in real fights in the respawn screen anyway.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

A Tartan Tory posted:

She is the Queen of Scotland as well. :colbert:

Unironically behead the whole lot of those dole-bludging Huns. Robespierre knew what he was doing.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Zerging is half the draw of the game, they're not going to do anything to change it. You guys might not like it and I stay away from any hex with 48+, but I would wager the average players really like and seek out the massive firefights.

This is an important point. The major selling point this game has over other multiplayer shooters is scale but, kind of like EVE, once you actually get up into the kind of scale the game sells the servers can't handle it perfectly. (and neither can the base design. If people got into meeting engagements more often the base design would be less of a problem, but that would require a redeply/instant action/spawn mechanics nerf which will never happen).

Something like last night's Nott fight is the perfect hellzerg engagement: get pushed out of a base by numbers, fall back to defend the lane, the enemy zerg actually comes down the lane, fall back to the actual base under heavy pressure, come this close to breaking, somehow hold on and pull out some clever trick to kill their spawns and break the siege, storm right back up the lane in righteous fury. The size of that made it memorable and epic but for every huge, dynamic flowing fight there are two or three 300-person stalemates or pointless farms where there's no way for the underpopped side to prevail and they just die for ten minutes while the cap timer ticks.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Hell zergs might be ok if the bases and spaces between bases were sized to accommodate them but they aren't. It wasn't such an issue before the merger because the pops are lower, now they aren't and it's the same mess writ large you got with TE and the old cont locking meta. Unfortunately the game is designed as a bunch of joined together BF sized maps so, yeah.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Clamps McGraw posted:

Unironically behead the whole lot of those dole-bludging Huns. Robespierre knew what he was doing.

Wow look at this monarchy hater.

If we didn't have the monarch we would have a president and that would be far worse! Can you imagine a Conservative President?!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Some people have suggested fewer, much larger bases. That would certainly be better for large fights, but it might make smaller ones feel really weird and empty.

But like 90% of the bases on Esamir right now cannot accommodate more than 40 people fighting without becoming overcrowded clusterfucks, and in order to push a lane to a base like an Amp Station you have to get through 3-5 of these things and one or two larger outposts or towers. The hellzerg is simply spacing out bases of that size, yet they have no choice but to cap through them.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
It doesn't take a pubbie whisperer to realize that zerging is just plain fun if you're playing alone, don't really care about the stakes and just want a huge fight.

You get to see huge tanks and columns move around, people yelling and mil-sperging in proximity and most importantly you keep feeling like you're awesome as you keep taking the overpopped bases and you occasionally kill someone as they walk out of the spawn shield. It doesn't matter if you personally aren't that good at the game, you'll never know anyway since you never had to face any opposition where it mattered or had to step up to the plate. If you did you just move to another continent/hex.

Take that away and they are going to complain (more) on the forums and eventually move on to another game.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They shouldn't do anything that removes large battles. Large battles are what this game has. They should just spread out the really large battles somehow so it's not 100 people fighting over one point.

Maybe shrink the number of actual bases on the lattice, make 'em real big (like 5 points big), and have a number of off-lattice outposts/towers with no spawn rooms (but places for Sunderers and terminals and stuff) that are generally more accommodating to smaller fights? More coordinated outfits work to cap outposts and open a new front for vehicle pulls and whatever, hellzergs fight tooth and nail over huge bases where any given fight might be 20-40 people per side but on aggregate the base itself contains hundreds of people duking it out. It's just that AOD will have to learn to send 50 guys to A, 50 guys to B, 50 guys to C if they want to take the base as sending 150 guys to A, then to B, then to C will just be a musical chairs fight the defenders will easily win (due to, presumably, better logistical access around their own base, which will matter more if they're bigger).

Granted that's sorta "Oh you mean like how PS1 did it? :jerkbag:" but not exactly. And yes technically nothing will stop the hellzerg from hellzerging the outposts but since they don't contribute to the base cap and don't have automatic spawns they'd have to physically bring their 100 man zerg there and then leave them there, which is just stupid and allows for a different outpost to get capped instead.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nakar posted:

Granted that's sorta "Oh you mean like how PS1 did it? :jerkbag:" but not exactly

Maybe I missed something but didn't PS1 only have one point to cap in each base and it was usually a completely ball aching grind *Cough* Interlink *Cough*

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fans posted:

Maybe I missed something but didn't PS1 only have one point to cap in each base and it was usually a completely ball aching grind *Cough* Interlink *Cough*

PS1 base caps were generally absolutely horrible. Tech plants were like the only none poo poo ones since the cap point was on the roof, amp stations were okay to but if you jammed enough people in them before hand defending them was pretty easy.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

This would be a much better game if they made it more like PS1 since even at its worst after Core Combat it wasn't as stupidly bloated and bland.

"Gee another gun with the exact same model that shoots slightly differently, what an exciting new feature to grind for hours to unlock."

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

Wow look at this monarchy hater.

If we didn't have the monarch we would have a president and that would be far worse! Can you imagine a Conservative President?!

How's that any different to any other modern first world country in the world with a President? They all manage fine and at least they'd have to do their dirty business through democratic channels.

I'd definitely give William "Fivehead" Hun's missus a go, though. Katherine Breedinge-Stoque or whatever her name is. Always had a bit of a thing for useless posh totty.

PS2 related news: SABR w/ 1x, advanced foregrip, comp and HVA still best gun in game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nakar posted:

There's no fix for this.

Sure there is, Higby just dedicates an hour of his day maybe three times a week to overlook fights and when they get into stupid 48v48 where one faction is 80% of the population Higby just activates a hex wide painfield and says in the server announcement chat "SPLIT YOUR drat FORCES"

Do this for a few weeks and the player base will change, lest they randomly die and can literally not step back into the hex without dying. In fact Higby can pay me minimum wage to do this, I also accept bitcoin.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I am really liking the H1C Cougar for some reason when for all purposes its just a worse Razor. Does it have much better bloom or H-Tolerance or something?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BadLlama posted:

PS1 base caps were generally absolutely horrible. Tech plants were like the only none poo poo ones since the cap point was on the roof, amp stations were okay to but if you jammed enough people in them before hand defending them was pretty easy.

Tech plants in PS1 were the best things ever as VS since not only could you just jet over the bases walls in MAX suits but there was one angle of attack where you could clear the outer wall and be right next to the cap point on the roof in one jump. If you did it right there was an infiltrator waiting to open the door for 20-40 MAX units to dog pile the point.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

BadLlama posted:

I am really liking the H1C Cougar for some reason when for all purposes its just a worse Razor. Does it have much better bloom or H-Tolerance or something?
The Cougar is the exact same gun as the Razor except instead of super fast reloads it has decently fast reloads and a 35 round magazine. And it pulls slightly in the opposite direction the Razor does. They are otherwise exactly the same in every capacity and the effect of every attachment.

EDIT: Oh the Cougar has slightly worse hipfire and muzzle velocity, I guess. So they are marginally different but in terms of COFs and recoil they're identical.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 12, 2014

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

BadLlama posted:

It's because you love NC guns and having an NC gun for middle distance on your TR dude is a dream come true. It's my go-to Engineer loadout because I'm so used to the Razor.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Nakar posted:

The Cougar is the exact same gun as the Razor except instead of super fast reloads it has decently fast reloads and a 35 round magazine. And it pulls slightly in the opposite direction the Razor does. They are otherwise exactly the same in every capacity and the effect of every attachment.

Crazy there seems like there is something else too it but its probably just from using so many 143 dmg weapons that using a 167 dmg gun again is letting me pretend like I am on my NC.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

BadLlama posted:

Crazy there seems like there is something else too it but its probably just from using so many 143 dmg weapons that using a 167 dmg gun again is letting me pretend like I am on my NC.

The Razor's great, it's just up against the NC Carbine line up which has great other choices for the range you'd use it.

What you going to use instead of the Cougar? The T5-AMC? That's just a slightly better NS-11C, wheeee.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Fans posted:

The Razor's great, it's just up against the NC Carbine line up which has great other choices for the range you'd use it.

What you going to use instead of the Cougar? The T5-AMC? That's just a slightly better NS-11C, wheeee.

The Lynx :colbert:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I have seen quite a few people say that they mount 6x scope on their jackhammer. Why?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Yeah, it really is amazing what guns TR in general seems to think are bad. My KDR goes up even if I'm just dicking around. If GOKU or GOON (or any competent outfit) were on the TR then their stuff might well have been nerfed into oblivion.

With luck AOD will remain the largest TR presence in the game, resulting in no nerfs and only buffs.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Fans posted:

The T5 AMC has pretty baller velocity with HVA, better hipfire, equivalent or better recoil, and better DPS. It's something, at least!
But this is the correct answer. Learn to use the Lynx at all ranges and you will be what every TR thinks every NC who uses the GD-7F is, except you'll actually be that bullshit instead of just having a psychotic episode and imagining it.

Lynx might be more bullshit in relative terms than the TORQ, just because the TORQ faces stiff competition from the best AR lineup in the game while the Lynx is a god among decent weapons.

Trogdos! posted:

I have seen quite a few people say that they mount 6x scope on their jackhammer. Why?
They're trolling. The scope on the Jackhammer is basically worthless so I guess put a 6x on there because it's funny and you can.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Trogdos! posted:

Accuracy at long range

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

alg posted:

Accuracy at long range

It's a shotgun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

A Tartan Tory posted:

It's a shotgun!
Plus it's got scope sway. If you really want to be accurate at range with your shotgun, don't go past a 4x, I mean c'mon.

• Locked thread