Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

WrightOfWay posted:

Jansen is the perfect example of a character that would be completely insufferable if his voice actor didn't sell his goofiness so well.

The voice actor for the character, Michael McGaharn, came from an improv theater background got to ad-lib most of his lines. Jansen's lines are very different in the Japanese/French/Italian dubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel like I missed out, not playing Lost Odyssey, now. :(

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Out of all the little changes made here and there to Lunar in SSH, the worst for me was the way the music cut out and restarted every single time you went into another room. You rarely got a chance to appreciate the music in town because it'd restart every 10 seconds. It also made the loading times impossible to ignore.

It also does this going in and out of combat. I got to Damon's Spire and gave up because some of the rooms had multiple enemies and you had to sit through that after every battle.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eh, I found it really tiresome.

Edit: talking to Ciaphas

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like I missed out, not playing Lost Odyssey, now. :(

Lost Odyssey was a great little next gen Final Fantasy name in everything but name. It was super pretty, the characters were all relatively likable (kids aside) and the soundtrack was solid. I'm half considering another playthrough while I wait for Destiny.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I distinctly remember a few of the Lost Memories actually making me feel feelings. I was around 15 at the time, so that might have contributed, but they were super well-produced nonetheless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Dammit, I was actually kinda interested in that port, but it seems like all the changes they made that aren't directly to the combat system are terrible. Mingle PP was ALREADY a pain in the rear end to get even with aliens, for fucks sake.
Well the only really impactful change is the mingle PP thing, and I still got through OG TWEWY without bothering much with mingle PP.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

I distinctly remember a few of the Lost Memories actually making me feel feelings. I was around 15 at the time, so that might have contributed, but they were super well-produced nonetheless.

Nah the Thousand Years of Dreams are super good.

To the point where it makes the game's actual writing look pretty shabby.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never finished Lost Odyssey and kind of want to start it again but then I remember how long some of the Thousand Years of Dreams took (even though they're good) and what a pain some of the bosses were if you were even slightly under-levelled.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I never finished Lost Odyssey and kind of want to start it again but then I remember how long some of the Thousand Years of Dreams took (even though they're good) and what a pain some of the bosses were if you were even slightly under-levelled.

Isn't there a dragon or something really early on that kicks your rear end if you don't use the front row/back row system properly? I remember being stuck there for a few days.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

ImpAtom posted:

It's an okay remake. It changes the script a little from the Working Designs translation but not really in a bad way. The biggest complaints are that things feel a bit smaller (in some ways which are good and some ways which are bad) and that it is easier, but it wasn't like SSS for the PS1 was a hard game. It has some of the changes from the GBA Lunar port, some of which are game-breakingly powerful, and they toned down some of the bosses which makes them kind of pushovers.The loading time was also a bit eh from what I recall.

I remember the playstation version of the first Lunar game to actually be pretty hard, or at least hard by RPG standards. I remember having some trouble with a few of the bosses (Royce! :argh:)

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is this dancing girl quest the only quest in KOTOR 2 that railroads you in to playing pazaak? Man I loathe minigames in RPGs but I don't want to spend 1500 credits

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sakurazuka posted:

You can ignore them completely if you want. I'll admit I haven't played in a couple years, but I think you can both skip dreams completely and smash the a or x button to skip through the little text animations and just get a word dump.

They were really well done though (I understand wanting to speed some of them up, especially if you've already read them), which is impressive, since it wasn't written in English originally and my incredibly limited understanding of Japanese let's me know words have a lot fewer characters in Japan.

Relin posted:

Is this dancing girl quest the only quest in KOTOR 2 that railroads you in to playing pazaak? Man I loathe minigames in RPGs but I don't want to spend 1500 credits

Pretty drat sure it is. I only played pazaak a couple of times and I beat the game. There might be a couple side quests involving pazaak, but I just ignored them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Isn't there a dragon or something really early on that kicks your rear end if you don't use the front row/back row system properly? I remember being stuck there for a few days.
The first real boss of the game and that is primarily because you lack any skills. It's a pretty straight forward game once you get things rolling from there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dude789 posted:

I remember the playstation version of the first Lunar game to actually be pretty hard, or at least hard by RPG standards. I remember having some trouble with a few of the bosses (Royce! :argh:)

I always found Lunar to be hard in the same way Dragon Quest is hard. The dungeons are designed to purposefully drain your resources and just a single level or two is enough to turn the tide of battle. Bosses in particular are designed with a curve that scales to your level but once you reach X levels diminishing returns actually make the boss weaker. It's been so long so I don't remember the details but I fought the last boss at like level 49, got my rear end kicked hard, grinded until 50 then beat him without breaking a sweat.

I actually kind of wish SSSC had battles on the world map like the Sega CD version because I felt underleveled in every dungeon.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I remember being a kid and beating the final boss of Silver Star Story with a super weak physical attack from Mia after everyone else had died and she had run out of MP. I don't think the game was actually hard, I was just bad at it, but it was a beautiful moment :allears:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Rascyc posted:

The first real boss of the game and that is primarily because you lack any skills. It's a pretty straight forward game once you get things rolling from there.

Yeah, I don't remember having trouble with anything that wasn't the DLC dungeon boss after that.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

I remember being a kid and beating the final boss of Silver Star Story with a super weak physical attack from Mia after everyone else had died and she had run out of MP. I don't think the game was actually hard, I was just bad at it, but it was a beautiful moment :allears:

same thing happened to me, except it was nash shooting a crossbow bolt into the fraud dragonmaster for 2 points of damage.
its notable i guess because that is the only game where that has ever happened to me, and also because the differences between character/boss sprites and their death animations make it funny.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

iastudent posted:

Since Sacred 3 seems like a wash from most accounts, I've been grinding away still at the 2nd one. Today this game proved itself once again.

:whatup:

I know nothing about this game but this screenshot and I want it.

Re: Lunar, I beat the first and got to the end of the second back in 2000 on PSX and then I realized I was severely underleveled for the final dungeon and couldn't leave, so I put it down "until I had the patience to do all the necessary grinding" and never picked it back up.

Paperhouse posted:

This happened to me with FF9.

Dross fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 13, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

iastudent posted:

Since Sacred 3 seems like a wash from most accounts, I've been grinding away still at the 2nd one. Today this game proved itself once again.

What's up with it? I always kind of liked the Sacred games, but I'm not entirely convinced I've got the time or energy for grind games anymore.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Sacred 3 is just a brawler, not an RPG, and apparently not a very good one. A very strange followup to a massive openworld Diablo type.

The original team behind Sacred 2 is making their own followup called Unbended though.

And what do you mean by grind games? Sacred 2 didn't require any grinding.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Wendell posted:

And what do you mean by grind games? Sacred 2 didn't require any grinding.

Well, okay. More like 'games where you're basically there to watch numbers go up and nothing much else'. It felt like it took startlingly little time to get to the point in Sacred 2 where you didn't need any more runes and all your combos were set up and the gameplay would promptly become stale as hell. The sidequests - for all that there were a billion of them - weren't all that hot.

Still played the poo poo out of it for ages, though, even if I'm not quite sure why. Trying to uncover the map killed any enjoyment I had in the end, similar to Kingdom of Amalur.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Okay, yeah, I'm down with what you're saying.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

All video games are fancy skinner boxes, let's have an existential crisis.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dross posted:

It's a fair point, but there's a huge difference between a game which challenges you or builds up your options or rewards you with fun plot and one where you're just holding down the right mouse button all the time. The Sacred games have a pretty unique charm to them but it can fade pretty quickly the moment you have your moves at a decent level and sufficient lifesteal to keep you alive.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Dross posted:

Eh, as much as I love the first two Sacred games they're mostly right about them in that you reach the "end game" point where you're just grinding up bigger numbers really quickly. That's because the Sacred games diverged from the skill tree leveling standard established by Diablo II that you usually see in the genre in favor of letting you learn all of your abilities and most of your passive skills at level 1. Some builds might take a few levels or better equipment to get going, but it's kind of refreshing to be able to basically see what the final product your character is going to be from the start instead of having to put 20 hours in before it comes together. The flip side is that after the first 5 hours or so you've pretty much seen all the game has to offer.

Sacred 1 and 2 are still entertaining, but ultimately they are very shallow experiences.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So the new Risen game came out and I have heard literally nothing about it. Anyone try it yet?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

al-azad posted:

I always found Lunar to be hard in the same way Dragon Quest is hard. The dungeons are designed to purposefully drain your resources and just a single level or two is enough to turn the tide of battle. Bosses in particular are designed with a curve that scales to your level but once you reach X levels diminishing returns actually make the boss weaker. It's been so long so I don't remember the details but I fought the last boss at like level 49, got my rear end kicked hard, grinded until 50 then beat him without breaking a sweat.

I actually kind of wish SSSC had battles on the world map like the Sega CD version because I felt underleveled in every dungeon.

:hfive: What up rear end kicked by Zophar at level 49 without Triple Sword buddy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sunning posted:

The voice actor for the character, Michael McGaharn, came from an improv theater background got to ad-lib most of his lines. Jansen's lines are very different in the Japanese/French/Italian dubs.
I can't speak for his other dubs, but his Japanese one deviates from the script fairly regularly too, and in equally great ways.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Roobanguy posted:

So the new Risen game came out and I have heard literally nothing about it. Anyone try it yet?

The "discussion" thread for it is in Imp Zone because I was too lazy to make an actual OP. Overall my opinion is that, at the very least, it's obviously better than Risen 2. Jury still out regarding Risen 1, but I have a feeling this might surpass it, even if I enjoyed the combat in Risen 1 a slight bit more.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Someone recently brought up a topic in a random thread of gameplay keeping crappy stories afloat being much more common than good stories keeping weak gameplay afloat. I also believed the former is much more true than the later, but I can't see how anyone can disagree with this.

Anyway my question is: how many games can you think of the later category?

What brought me back to this topic was a recent conversation with a friend about Radiant Historia. This was a game that I thought had fairly weak gameplay but the story/characters really kept the game afloat from beginning to end. It wasn't unplayable gameplay, it just wasn't anything I found interesting enough to be fun for hours.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tbh I can't think of any game where a strong story supports legitimately weak gameplay. And I'm a weeb who likes his JRPG stories.

Like, I could give a couple of examples of games I think are excellent despite only having decent gameplay, but nothing where the gameplay is downright bad. That's why I could never get into Persona 2.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Deadly Premonition's practically the poster child for that idea.

I had fun with Silent Hill Downpour, in the same vein. Game had solid atmosphere.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cake Attack posted:

tbh I can't think of any game where a strong story supports legitimately weak gameplay. And I'm a weeb who likes his JRPG stories.

Like, I could give a couple of examples of games I think are excellent despite only having decent gameplay, but nothing where the gameplay is downright bad. That's why I could never get into Persona 2.
Spec Ops: The Line is the best I can do. Or the original Bioshock. Not JRPGs, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All of the early Silent Hill games kind of apply, though I guess the gameplay wasn't too bad at the time.

Other than Deadly Premonition, Drakengard is the most obvious thing that springs to mind.
If you're talking games with 'eh' rather than awful gameplay Alpha Protocol and Nier fit the bill.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I can't really think of any games I've played with legitimately bad gameplay that I only kept playing for the plot. I can think of a some with decent (or even great) gameplay that I got pretty tired of by the end. P3P and P4G, for example. I enjoyed the battle systems in those games, and I wouldn't call the dungeons a chore (well, at least not in Persona 4), but due to perhaps playing them too much in too short a space of time, or spending longer than I needed to fighting or whatever, I was playing more for the plot and characters than the gameplay itself by the end. Though I suppose if you were to count the Social Links as gameplay, I guess those examples are moot. And while I haven't played it myself, I hear The Witcher's combat gets pretty stale in the first one, but it can be worth it for the story.

Straying away from RPG territory, I guess easy examples would be 999 and VLR, if the player happened to hate puzzles.

EDIT: Oh, and also The Walking Dead. Boring puzzles and all, but still engrossing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Persona 2 is in my top 5 favorite JRPGs primarily for its story which has what I would still say is decent, if a bit antiquated, gameplay. I think that's the only game where there is such a gap and the game is still considered pretty good. Persona 1 for example has a pretty good plot but it's nowhere near good enough to make up for the astronomically bad battle system and dungeon design. Maybe Xenogears? I mean I like a lot about its battle system and such despite some frustrating parts, but most people remember the convoluted plot more fondly.

To use a non-RPG example though by the end of VLR I was completely engrossed by the plot to the point where I was frustrated with the puzzles because I just wanted to get back to the novel parts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was the same way with VLR, not because the puzzles were bad (apart from the dice rolling one) just because I wanted them out the way so I could find out what happened.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
This is obviously highly subjective and probably won't go over too well in the RPG thread but I usually only play JRPGs in spite of their godawful battle systems. That doesn't mean I play them entirely for the plot, it's more like I enjoy running around in a world of softserve anime tropes listening to some chill tunes after work (the plot is usually stupid too). Like they basically fill a soap opera type niche for me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Someone recently brought up a topic in a random thread of gameplay keeping crappy stories afloat being much more common than good stories keeping weak gameplay afloat. I also believed the former is much more true than the later, but I can't see how anyone can disagree with this.

Anyway my question is: how many games can you think of the later category?

What brought me back to this topic was a recent conversation with a friend about Radiant Historia. This was a game that I thought had fairly weak gameplay but the story/characters really kept the game afloat from beginning to end. It wasn't unplayable gameplay, it just wasn't anything I found interesting enough to be fun for hours.

Ni no Kuni for me. Battle felt like a watered down Tales of Vesperia, there were an annoying number of fetch quests, and ally AI was so useless that I set them to just physically attack. But I loved the story, characters, and music so much that it got me through it and I look back on it fondly.

The Last of Us also has okay gameplay and a fantastic story, and is regarded as one of the best games of 2013 if not the seventh console generation.

The Walking Dead and any other un-lose-able adventure game or visual novel also applies.