Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The solution to zergs isn't to make it mechanically difficult for zergs to accomplish objectives because that will just encourage bigger zergs to bruteforce the obstacle. Instead SOE needs to encourage players to break off on their own and go to smaller fights. Some ideas:

1) Population bonuses based on hex population, not continent pop. If you have 33% of the pop in a hex you get double xp, 50% pop = 100% xp, 66% and higher gets half the normal xp. In a 33/33/33 fight, everyone gets double xp. The population calculation should be based on the total population of the hex + all adjacent hexes (even those not connected by lattice links) so people don't get screwed for having a big battle on the border between two hexes. The bonus should also be on a slight time delay, perhaps an average of the last 3 minutes or so, so attackers don't get screwed when the defenders redeploy en masse 10 seconds before the base flips.

2) No flat xp payout for flipping a base, this just encourages bad players to hang around watching a timer count down so they can collect their 4 certs/hr. Instead, when you gain xp in a contested hex (if the capture bar is visible) a percentage of that xp is placed in a bank. If your team gains control of the base, the accumulated xp is given to you, regardless of where you are when the base finally flips. If your team loses the base or the enemy manages to resecure it for 1-2 minutes, your bonus xp is lost. Players who just show up and do jack poo poo get paid accordingly. This could probably be integrated with suggestion #1.

3) Killing people with vehicle weapons should give less xp than killing them with an infantry weapon. Farming infantry with HE is not challenging and should not pay as well (actually better due to streak bonuses) as killing people in a "fair" (ha) fight. Likewise killing a vehicle while you are on foot should give you a bonus. Same with MAX suits. This would hopefully curb the abuse of "force multipliers" in large battles and motivate people to get out of their vanguards and walk towards the control point.

4) Xp rewards for squad/platoon leaders based on how much xp their followers are getting, even while they are looking at a map or arguing on command chat. This would drive leaders to look for more active fights and it will encourage more people to lead actual organized squads instead of just following whatever open squad they fall into when they hit insert.

5) Faster spawning at under popped bases. If a squadless pubbie dies in a fight and sees that they can spawn 3 seconds faster on the other side of the continent, they're less likely to hang around staring at a spawn shield. This would also give the outnumbered faction a slight advantage by allowing them to replace losses faster than their opponents.

6) Allow long range redeploys to any base that is linked to an enemy hex if both bases combined have less than 2-3 allied squads in them, regardless of pop percentages. Maybe adjust the numbers according to the size of the base.

7) Intermediate bases. Things like the urban area around the old old Esamir Munitions Corp and that ghost town north of Howling pass add flavor and strategic variety to the game. These would be groups of buildings in between bases and contain useful things in them like infantry consoles, vehicle pads, hackable ammo towers and maybe a few turrets. No spawn rooms and no control points, just a place with lots of cover and a good location that allows whoever controls it to easily attack the next base. Imagine Indar Ex/Quartz Ridge with a small city between them instead of one building in the middle of a killing field.

edit: reorganized things.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Avulsion posted:

The solution to zergs isn't to make it mechanically difficult for zergs to accomplish objectives because that will just encourage bigger zergs to bruteforce the obstacle. Instead SOE needs to encourage players to break off on their own and go to smaller fights. Some ideas:

1) Population bonuses based on hex population, not continent pop. If you have 33% of the pop in a hex you get double xp, 50% pop = 100% xp, 66% and higher gets half the normal xp. In a 33/33/33 fight, everyone gets double xp. The population calculation should be based on the total population of the hex + all adjacent hexes (even those not connected by lattice links) so people don't get screwed for having a big battle on the border between two hexes. The bonus should also be on a slight time delay, perhaps an average of the last 3 minutes or so, so attackers don't get screwed when the defenders redeploy en masse 10 seconds before the base flips.

2) No flat xp payout for flipping a base, this just encourages bad players to hang around watching a timer count down so they can collect their 4 certs/hr. Instead, when you gain xp in a contested hex (if the capture bar is visible) a percentage of that xp is placed in a bank. If your team gains control of the base, the accumulated xp is given to you, regardless of where you are when the base finally flips. If your team loses the base or the enemy manages to resecure it for 1-2 minutes, your bonus xp is lost. Players who just show up and do jack poo poo get paid accordingly.

3) Killing people with vehicle weapons should give less xp than killing them with an infantry weapon. Farming infantry with HE is not challenging and should not pay as well (actually better due to streak bonuses) as killing people in a "fair" (ha) fight. Likewise killing a vehicle while you are on foot should give you a bonus. Same with MAX suits. This would hopefully curb the abuse of "force multipliers" in large battles and motivate people to get out of their vanguards and walk towards the control point.

4) Xp rewards for squad/platoon leaders based on how much xp their followers are getting, even while they are looking at a map or arguing on command chat. This would drive leaders to look for more active fights and it will encourage more people to lead actual organized squads instead of just following whatever open squad they fall into when they hit insert.

5) Faster spawning at under popped bases. If a squadless pubbie dies in a fight and sees that they can spawn 3 seconds faster on the other side of the continent, they're less likely to hang around staring at a spawn shield. This would also give the outnumbered faction a slight advantage by allowing them to replace losses faster than their opponents.

6) Allow long range redeploys to any base that is linked to an enemy hex if both bases combined have less than 2-3 allied squads in them, regardless of pop percentages. Maybe adjust the numbers according to the size of the base.

7) Intermediate bases. Things like the urban area around the old old Esamir Munitions Corp and that ghost town north of Howling pass add flavor and strategic variety to the game. These would be groups of buildings in between bases and contain useful things in them like infantry consoles, vehicle pads, hackable ammo towers and maybe a few turrets. No spawn rooms and no control points, just a place with lots of cover and a good location that allows whoever controls it to easily attack the next base. Imagine Indar Ex/Quartz Ridge with a small city between them instead of one building in the middle of a killing field.

edit: reorganized things.

See, now these are good ideas that encourage positive play styles without restricting the ability of pubs to make a difference at fights.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

o muerte posted:

:siren: Public Service Announcement :siren:

The Angry Joe Army appears to be playing in force today

Found angry joe army:

e: JESUS CHRIST they really suck!

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 12, 2014

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

quote:

:words:

As an addendum to Idea #1, the deploy screen should show the xp bonus for available spawn points, and should have an option to sort spawns according to the xp bonus.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Valkyrie's on PTS.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Avulsion posted:

As an addendum to Idea #1, the deploy screen should show the xp bonus for available spawn points, and should have an option to sort spawns according to the xp bonus.

It's worth a shot.
I like the ideas and the direct hint to every player, like with the changes in the past made to encourage killing sunderers vs farming them directly w/ the spawn kill consolation XP. That won't stop everyone of course because a kill is a kill on the road to an aurax medal, but it tries.
All the same, people complain about alerts because of the fights those produce, and don't care about the participation bonus. Zergy fights would end up being unavoidable, but whatever, I'd be interested in seeing them make an attempt at an overhaul to XP payouts that wouldn't impact hardware performance.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

They've been up for an hour or so.

Trip report now that I had some people to play with: It's basically a helicopter-plane. It's incredibly maneuverable but slower than a galaxy. As long as you don't accidentally go belly up during maneuvers crashing is incredibly hard. The repair rate of engineers sitting in it is nerfed, but you can currently slap an ammo pack down and it will stay with the valkyrie, actually trailing behind in the air.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The xp awarded for killing a dude in a MAX should be 4-5 times higher than what it is right now in my opinion.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BadLlama posted:

The xp awarded for killing a dude in a MAX should be 4-5 times higher than what it is right now in my opinion.

It is kind of crazy they worth a smidge more than a regular kill

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also I feel like they should label uncapturable waypoints as subhexes and name them in the location thing. Like in the example of a theoretical pseudo-city between Indar Ex and Quartz Ridge, call it like Quartz Ridge Forward Barracks. Similar concept to the names of base satellites, which in my mind would become uncappable waystations for launching assaults as the bases themselves expand to basically encompass the satellites on their periphery. There's some cool-rear end poo poo like the water purification plants on Hossin that would look awesome as part of a much larger industrial-military complex layout.

Basically when you "attack an Amp Station" you should be able to get up on the roof of a building and see the dome of the main complex building off in the distance and realize you have to attack all the way from where you are to where that dome is, but once you're at the dome then the fight will be in its final stages. Instead of the current "attackers own the courtyard while defenders play whack-a-mole" of present Amp Stations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

In that vein, you should get XP bonuses for killing poo poo with grenades/C4

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Blasmeister posted:

I should get at least 1 exp for every step I take in game.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

They've managed to break jetpacks even worse with the last hotfix.

Previously sometimes they wouldn't start when you jump.

Now they also cut out randomly mid jump.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Blasmeister posted:

You should get a 1000% xp bonus if you can get a frag grenade to land where you want it to without killing any friendlies. I needed 12 frag kills for a directive, and hadn't used the things in over a year. It took me over an hour of redeploying to 48+ fights with a bandolier LA. Throw three grenades into a group of enemies, watch them bounce in three completely different directions ensuring that no single enemy takes enough damage to score a kill.

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."

Arghy posted:

The solution to hell zergs harkens back to PS1's complicated bases and SNA/bio labs. A hellzerg will not take those bases if theres a semi competent number of defenders because it needs discipline for the attackers.

Base design is huge, but it wasn't the only solution to zergs in PS1. IN PS1 there were a ton of ways to manipulate zergs via Tower holds, dropping bases behind lattice, removing benefits, etc.

With the way the continent game was setup in PS1 you could drive the enemy or even friendly zerg around any way you wished, as long as you had a competent Platoon behind you.

Fast forward to Planetside 2 and there's minimal ways to redirect the flow of the zerg. The major influence on zergs in PS2 is through denying Sunderers and making GBS threads on them so hard with a strong vehicle counter-attack or holding a point so tightly while killing their spawns that you break their backs.

It's incredibly difficult to do but it's highly rewarding from a David vs Goliath perspective.

When you look at the PS2 map the bases are just too close to each other. With the introduction of a more complete resource system (Nanite crystals or whatever, ANTS) and the potential for non-base objectives you may see a more varied approach to combined arms in Planetside 2. Zergs won't go away. I actually think zergs are an integral part of Planetside. They form quasi-fronts that you either deal with directly or indirectly. The average player exists, in this case, within the zerg to help define outfits that refuse to take part in any serious way. "Elite" or "top-tier" outfits would be vastly different if there was no zerg mentality in Planetside.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Even on PTS, the ragetells you get for using A2A are fantastic. It'll be a good day for AA users come Valkyrie launch day.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

kidRiot posted:

Base design is huge, but it wasn't the only solution to zergs in PS1. IN PS1 there were a ton of ways to manipulate zergs via Tower holds, dropping bases behind lattice, removing benefits, etc.

With the way the continent game was setup in PS1 you could drive the enemy or even friendly zerg around any way you wished, as long as you had a competent Platoon behind you.

Fast forward to Planetside 2 and there's minimal ways to redirect the flow of the zerg. The major influence on zergs in PS2 is through denying Sunderers and making GBS threads on them so hard with a strong vehicle counter-attack or holding a point so tightly while killing their spawns that you break their backs.

It's incredibly difficult to do but it's highly rewarding from a David vs Goliath perspective.

When you look at the PS2 map the bases are just too close to each other. With the introduction of a more complete resource system (Nanite crystals or whatever, ANTS) and the potential for non-base objectives you may see a more varied approach to combined arms in Planetside 2. Zergs won't go away. I actually think zergs are an integral part of Planetside. They form quasi-fronts that you either deal with directly or indirectly. The average player exists, in this case, within the zerg to help define outfits that refuse to take part in any serious way. "Elite" or "top-tier" outfits would be vastly different if there was no zerg mentality in Planetside.

Yeah someone brought up shrinking the bases into 3 hexes wide big bases and that poo poo would be awesome--make them these massive complexes. You now have a ton of room for vehicles and bringing in things like sundies and a huge infantry only area.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Xae posted:

They've managed to break jetpacks even worse with the last hotfix.

Previously sometimes they wouldn't start when you jump.

Now they also cut out randomly mid jump.

I've also had some difficulty getting turret ADS/zoom to work. And the grenade kills I got last night didn't stick, it's still showing me one short for the service ribbon.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

ATTN: Tartan: The coin camo is either British, or Canadian funny money coins: http://imgur.com/a/QAQIn

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Gonkish posted:

ATTN: Tartan: The coin camo is either British, or Canadian funny money coins: http://imgur.com/a/QAQIn

It's mixed; there are pounds and yen there at least.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Well, camouflage IS the only good use for fiat currency these days. . .

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

The Valkyrie is pretty fun. Like others said it's REALLY SLOW but can jet up down and all around on a dime. The nosegun has a forward arc, so the pilot can't just hover over one spot and mow down everything like a lib. The AV minigun can destroy a magrider if you empty the whole clip into the back.

I'm just wondering what the rumble seat dudes will be doing since they'll be facing away from whatever the nosegunner is trying to shoot at.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
I got a tell yesterday that said "simply more proof of your hacks and crimes". Apparently shooting dudes before they are able to shoot you is hacking and now a crime.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm unsure if I want to go with the rocket launcher or the minigun for the Valkyrie. Rocket launcher is incredibly versatile and has more range than the minigun, which matters a lot on an aircraft, but the minigun apparently has a shitload of power behind it.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

My gunners have always had a hell of a time hitting enemy ESFs with the rocket launcher. I dunno, with how many good ESF pilots there are I'd probably prefer to use the wyvern or NS vulcan thing, just because they're probably a lot more reliable at killing ESFs at close range for when you get jumped.

BlueDestiny posted:

I'm just wondering what the rumble seat dudes will be doing since they'll be facing away from whatever the nosegunner is trying to shoot at.

They'll be pulling their own valkyrie rather than wasting their time in rumble seats. I've been playing with the valks for about an hour so far, and a HA with an annihilator is going to struggle to hit anything unless your pilot is flying smoothly and the target is far enough away that you can expect to get a lock within your limited field of fire. There's a very narrow area in which rumble seat people will be useful. It seems very unlikely to me that anyone would ever want 4 people in one valkyrie when they can just do 2 people in 2 valkyries.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 13, 2014

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If the minigun is basically the Vulcan-equivalent I can see that being used for a lot of "BRRRRRRRRRRT"-ing of armor and sundies. Rockets seem more versatile, though.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can the rumble seat people toss C4 out of the plane? Engineers with max C4 capacity, nothing will be safe.

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame
Valkyries will rise, carrying pizza laden engineers, and take sight of the roving masses as they honk their horns in anticipation of overwhelming another base but soon they are distracted by the sight of a bit of gamer fuel. Boom.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

BadLlama posted:

Can the rumble seat people toss C4 out of the plane? Engineers with max C4 capacity, nothing will be safe.

You can throw ammo packs and grenades so I would assume that works. Chucking tank mines would be pretty handy too.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

You can throw C4 out, but you can't aim directly down in the rumble seats, so you're throwing them laterally a significant amount, which will probably make it tough to be accurate with, especially if you're high up. Also, if your valkyrie is moving the wrong way when you throw the C4, the bricks will stick to the valkyrie itself and you'll end up killing your plane.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Valk seems like it'll fill a nice niche in terms of dropping people off to go do poo poo. I can see it being a great way to insert infil/engy shitters behind a front or to serve as peekaboo A-A.

Also it'll probably be good at ESF wrasslin'

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm unsure if I want to go with the rocket launcher or the minigun for the Valkyrie. Rocket launcher is incredibly versatile and has more range than the minigun, which matters a lot on an aircraft, but the minigun apparently has a shitload of power behind it.

Step 1: Get Heavies with chainguns

Step 2: Play Long Tall Sally in prox chat.

Step 3: Success!

Maybe lock-ons would work?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ Could also plays "This is the End" in prox chat while doing that. This is a god drat amazing idea thank you.

Lassitude posted:

the bricks will stick to the valkyrie itself and you'll end up killing your plane.

The most suitable of deaths out of all possible ones.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Yep hoarding my Certs for the valkyrie. It's basically a galaxy little-bird and I hope the whiners don't get it changed to some lovely standard flight model. I'm thinking I'll be getting rocket pods on mine but unsure since can't really live fire test well in VR. Also in testing you can totally pull the BF throw ammo down inside the chopper move. Saw a pair in VR testing hosing the lasher out the sides and it looked amazing.

I'm thinking rocket pods, NAR, fast airframe, prox radar for maximum peasant scouring. But maybe the Banshee-like gun will prevail. Feels like it can take a hard landing too, the gear is pretty springy.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Valk goes pretty fast actually, if you use max Evasiveness, thrust up while thrusting forward, and look down like 60 degrees from the horizon.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
Valk needs some fat fuel pods and a pimped out afterburner and it could be kinda amazing.

Is there a PTS outfit yet? I wanna test some gimmicks out with the Valk.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Do we know if the Valk uses the Liberator or ESF damage resist models? (IE is it vulnerable to small arms? I expect not, but you never know with SOE.)

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

No, it isn't immune to small arms fire. Two decimators take it out for example.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Tempest_56 posted:

Do we know if the Valk uses the Liberator or ESF damage resist models? (IE is it vulnerable to small arms? I expect not, but you never know with SOE.)

It's vulnerable to small arms and can take Composite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So you can plink plink plink it? Good to know no pubbies will ever do that.

• Locked thread