Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Fighter level 15 ability: Carb-Loading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Jack the Lad posted:

Thankfully Wizards also have Locate Object to find skeletons and Move Earth to dig them up!

The "but what if you can't find skeletons" argument is the feeblest and most bizarre that has been levied against the whole thing.

e: Except maybe "but what if the dragon doesn't hang around to fight you".
There's a very important point about these arguments, and 5e in general, that has to be made.

These people are not arguing in good faith. They are not putting fourth constructive or worthwhile positions. They are making absurd rationalizations to justify an absurd status quo.

I'm pretty sure 5e is a disaster because Mike Mearls tried to take what grogs said about 4e, and genuinely create a new game, in good faith with their vision of Dnd.

The problem is that most of the criticisms of 4e, are fake. They're false, they're dishonest, they're rationalized nonsense.

These people are doing the same thing. The absurdity of the Skeleton Rarity Defense is characteristic of much of the criticism of 4e, and much of the design philosophy of 5e.

It's fake. It's a fake argument. It's a lie in argument form. It has no point of reference, it has no standards, or logic, or criteria of any kind.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

For reference, 15 Skeletons summoned by a level 16 Necromancer will do the same DPR to the dragon as a level 16 Fighter in round 1, when he uses Action Surge to make 6 attacks.

Once he's used his Action Surge, 8 Skeletons (that's 1 level 5 spell slot) will on average outdamage him every round.

For a fun fact, look up the new basic DMG for the ghoul, the necromancer wizard can waste a 6th level spell slot creating 3 of those instead of More skeletons.

Also when you use a bonus action to command the skeletons you explicitly decide how they move and what actions they will take, so yes you can organise your archer squad however you like: Including making them ready, so if you wished you could easily use a wall of force to setup an invulnerable firing line that the dragon can't touch with his breath, then remove it and your skeleton squad instantly fires

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Not skeleton chat or wizard chat this time, sorry.

I'm looking over the updated DM's PDF and god drat the monster section is frustrating.

There are twenty seven mundane animals in there and they each have a "giant" counterpart. The list is alphabetical, so it took me a while to realise that the only reason Frog (1hp, 0CR, 0XP, 0 damage, 0 attacks) is in there is so that later on there can be Giant Frog which while still not interesting at least has an attack.

These are separate entries and each take about the same amount of space, but they're not even adjacent. Repeat twenty seven times for such classic fantasy opponents as "goat", "lizard", and "crab".

e: I've only been through the first half of the list, but CR and XP now seem to be a hard link - every 3CR monster is worth 700xp. However, 3cr monsters seem to have between 45 and 90 HP, not to mention wildly varying abilities and damage. I've got a cold today, so maybe I'll data entry to whole thing and make some graphs or something. Maybe not though.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 13, 2014

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Judgement posted:

I can't stop laughing at that Sphinx stat block.

Well done, adventurers. For solving The Riddle of the Sphinx, you have earned a reward beyond imagining... *a grand dining room set appears, with full table service and five course meal including soup and salad* Behold! The Bottomless Bread Bowl!

Here lies true class parity; no number of skeletons could ever partake of such a feast, but the fighter can fill up on bread all day.
All we have to do is bend the entire campaign and every scenario around sphinx's competing on master chef and it's totally balanced and fine and D&D.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

I'm looking over the updated DM's PDF and god drat the monster section is frustrating.

There are twenty seven mundane animals in there and they each have a "giant" counterpart. The list is alphabetical, so it took me a while to realise that the only reason Frog (1hp, 0CR, 0XP, 0 damage, 0 attacks) is in there is so that later on there can be Giant Frog which while still not interesting at least has an attack.

These are separate entries and each take about the same amount of space, but they're not even adjacent. Repeat twenty seven times for such classic fantasy opponents as "goat", "lizard", and "crab".

The frog also needs to be there for the druid to turn into it :smaug:

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

AlphaDog posted:

Finally a game that tells me that crabs have blindsight, and that while frogs have darkvision, cats do not.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Stormgale posted:

The frog also needs to be there for the druid to turn into it :smaug:

The stupid thing is that this is probably close to the actual reason it's in there, even though "a frog, like what you are turned into" is actually statted up as a completely useless monster and saying "a frog can't do jack poo poo" isn't a huge leap of imagination.

Or the guy writing it once had an hours-long argument about how it was never specified what kind of frog the wizard turned someone into and some frogs are poisonous and so this plan would totally work.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 13, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Why are almost all the monsters in here just "basic attack" and then "flavor ability" (and a lot of times the flavor ability is just attack multiple times).

I guess it makes it pretty easy to reskin all the monsters in the game at least if they are almost all exactly the same, so there's that I guess.

Edit: Oh boy, it looks magic items like Ring of Protection are back in. Here we go again.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 13, 2014

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

AlphaDog posted:

The stupid thing is that this is probably close to the actual reason it's in there, even though "a frog, like what you are turned into" is actually statted up as a completely useless monster and saying "a frog can't do jack poo poo" isn't a huge leap of imagination.

Or the guy writing it once had an hours-long argument about how it was never specified what kind of frog the wizard turned someone into and some frogs are poisonous and so this plan would totally work.

Just you wait until the DM unwittingly says the BBEG turns into a small insect :getin:

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Hey, I know for a fact frogs can smash voodoo artifacts. That's something, right?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Holy poo poo, the Seahorse is the loving epitome of stupid poo poo to include in the monster manual.

It's literally just a tiny seahorse. It is worth zero xp to kill it. It has no attacks. It's special ability is to breathe "only" underwater, which is less of a special ability and more "being a sea creature".

Also, it ruins my immersion because anything as cute as a tiny seahorse needs to have a Charisma way higher than 2.

Also also, where's the entry for "salmon" with the special ability of swim, and breathe only underwater and be delicious?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Does it drop anything good?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Remember when Mearls made that announcement about how they added 32 more pages to the Monster Manual but were still going to sell it for the same low price?

Yeah.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
32 extra pages of content (warning, content produced in a facility that processes seahorses).

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

AlphaDog posted:

Holy poo poo, the Seahorse is the loving epitome of stupid poo poo to include in the monster manual.

It's literally just a tiny seahorse. It is worth zero xp to kill it. It has no attacks. It's special ability is to breathe "only" underwater, which is less of a special ability and more "being a sea creature".

Also, it ruins my immersion because anything as cute as a tiny seahorse needs to have a Charisma way higher than 2.

Also also, where's the entry for "salmon" with the special ability of swim, and breathe only underwater and be delicious?

If they did that so they could make a giant seahorse I can have as a pet then I forgive them, otherwise :argh:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Seahorse Lore

DC 5: Seahorses live underwater.

DC 10: Seahorses, despite the name, aren't actually horses.

DC 15: ???

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

Seahorse Lore

DC 5: Seahorses live underwater.

DC 10: Seahorses, despite the name, aren't actually horses.

DC 15: ???

Male seahorses carry the babies to term.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Lord of Bore posted:

If they did that so they could make a giant seahorse I can have as a pet then I forgive them, otherwise :argh:
Um, what? Is there some rule or spell (enlarge?) that necessitated WotC statting up and putting a bunch of useless critters in the MM? Are they using their dumb templates again? Why can't they just stat up a Giant X monster and be done with it?

Because that would seriously be the most pointless design they could come up with. Between this and the Swarm of Rats/Kobolds thing, I don't know what to believe anymore. Is this some elaborate prank?

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Littlefinger posted:

Um, what? Is there some rule or spell (enlarge?) that necessitated WotC statting up and putting a bunch of useless critters in the MM? Are they using their dumb templates again? Why can't they just stat up a Giant X monster and be done with it?

Because that would seriously be the most pointless design they could come up with. Between this and the Swarm of Rats/Kobolds thing, I don't know what to believe anymore. Is this some elaborate prank?

Looks that way, unless someone was seriously looking forward to fighting a bunch of deer, elk and goats.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

32 pages that bring it in-line with the Premium 2e MM reprint for the same MSRP. (But without the deluxe high weight paper and leatherette cover.)

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Lord of Bore posted:

Looks that way, unless someone was seriously looking forward to fighting a bunch of deer, elk and goats.

Well they needed something that was an appropriate challenge for a party of nothing but beast master rangers.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Lord of Bore posted:

Clearly all these animals are statted out so you can apply templates to them. How could you possibly expect to know the stats of a Celestial Seahorse if you don't have the stats for a normal one?

Is there any sign of monster templates yet? That poo poo was always supremely obnoxious.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

So I entered data for monster name, hit points, cr, and xp.

code:
CR    XP     HP (low/high)  Number of entries
0     10     1     10       23
1/8   25     2     15       13
1/4   50     4     24       22
1/2   100    11    31       14 
1     200    19    52       15
2     450    22    68       19
3     700    35    90       11
4     1100   40    76       4
5     1800   84    126      10
6     2300   114   138      4
7     2900   157   157      1
8     3900   136   172      3
9     5000   162   162      1
10    5900   178   178      1
17    1800   256   256      1
XP depends on CR, with the only exceptions being that two of the 0CR monsters (frog and seahorse) are worth 0xp instead of 10.

Compare the Cockatrice and Giant Goat if you want to see how the CR/XP budgeting might not actually be based on anything. Or the Mammoth and Medusa. Or the Banshee and Elephant.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Why is there almost nothing at CR 4?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Vorpal Cat posted:

Why is there almost nothing at CR 4?

It'll be fixed by release!

I'd like to do one for damage, too. It would be bearable to enter if the statblocks weren't poo poo.

e: Looking at it, it's probably pointless. Taking "the lowest damage melee attack" gives no useful data because of the stuff with "special" effects (that usually amount to "attack twice" but can also include "save vs petrification").

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 13, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

OtspIII posted:

Is there any sign of monster templates yet? That poo poo was always supremely obnoxious.

We didn't get one for Giant so I'm guessing they'll just apply them in-house to pad content.

Want to know what a Giant Celestial Sphynx does? Stay tuned for Monster Manual VII!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So I have been having thoughts on some sort of hack of the 5e skills system, and I wanted to run it past some people:

Say skills fit into Skill Sets, and your Background gives you Proficiency (maybe Advantage?) with a Skill Set. So Like "Noble" gets it for Influence, "Sage" gets it for Knowledge, "Criminal" gets it for Deception, etc.

Also, Skill Sets could be combined with different ability scores to essentially make different skills.
For Example (just spitballing, so bear with me, this isn't meant to be exhaustive. And I would probably use it with a system that has less than 6 ability scores)

Athletics
  • STR: Climb/Jump
  • CON: Swim
  • DEX: Acrobatics
  • CHA: Stealth
Influence
  • STR: Intimidate
  • WIS: Animal Handling
  • CHA: Persuasion
  • INT: Bluff
Detection
  • DEX: Search
  • INT: Investigation
  • WIS: Perception
Knowledge
  • INT: Arcana/History
  • WIS: Survival/Medicine
  • CHA: Streetwise
Deception
  • DEX: Thievery/Sleight of Hand
  • INT: Forgery/Disable Device
  • CHA: Bluff/Disguise
Performance
  • CON: Wind Instrument/Singing
  • DEX: Stringed Instrument/Juggling
  • CHA: Storytelling/Acting

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

A Catastrophe posted:

Dread Necromancer: "Fear my wrath, peasants!"
Peasants: "What are ya gonna do, KILL US? Skel'ton's don't make babies dat what grow up to be skel'tons, ya high-falutin idjit!"
Unfortunately, experiments have proven that babies prefer the Flesh Mother to the Bone Mother.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I submit that these experiments did not account for bone babies.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jigokuman posted:

Unfortunately, experiments have proven that babies prefer the Flesh Mother to the Bone Mother.

D&D world where every town has a necromancer patron who shows up and takes corpses in return for protection, wizard services and occasional advice and support seems like a much better setting than default dnd worlds.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

kingcom posted:

D&D world where every town has a necromancer patron who shows up and takes corpses in return for protection, wizard services and occasional advice and support seems like a much better setting than default dnd worlds.

Wait, isn't that just...feudalism? With magic?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I love the idea of animated dead being honored family servants, or societies condemning criminals to eternal servitude in death. Or both. You could mark skulls or have the skeletons wear items that would indicate their status. It's a very "realistic" idea, has lots of flavor and feels like an alien world of fantasy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The real-world practice of burying our dead seems lazy and selfish by comparison.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

moths posted:

I submit that these experiments did not account for bone babies.

I submit that most experiments do not account for bone babies

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Daetrin posted:

Wait, isn't that just...feudalism? With magic?

Basically, dnd is way better if you just go 'well the actual power in the setting is wizards and clerics, so why the gently caress is nobility a thing'. A noble is just a descendent of wizard. The wizard only takes gold as taxes to pay for magic item creation, the whole game setting is a vastly different place because loving magic is a thing.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

jigokuman posted:

I love the idea of animated dead being honored family servants, or societies condemning criminals to eternal servitude in death. Or both. You could mark skulls or have the skeletons wear items that would indicate their status. It's a very "realistic" idea, has lots of flavor and feels like an alien world of fantasy.

The really important dead become personal bodyguards or ceremonial guards, where they can be seen and fulfill a high-class role.
Common dead are servants and mid-level laborers - carrying palanquins, hauling carts, possibly brick and mortar work.
Low class and criminal dead get the gruntwork - digging ditches, cranking pumps...planting and harvesting?

kingcom posted:

Basically, dnd is way better if you just go 'well the actual power in the setting is wizards and clerics, so why the gently caress is nobility a thing'. A noble is just a descendent of wizard. The wizard only takes gold as taxes to pay for magic item creation, the whole game setting is a vastly different place because loving magic is a thing.

If wizards actually exist in a world where everyone else is mundane, it's an actual biological caste system. Wizards are Just Better.

Daetrin fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 13, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Wizzard controlled feudalism (arcanism? beardocracy?), undead laborers, and blacksmiths not existing because a single wizard can do one man-year of blacksmithing in a 10 minutes are silly things, you guys. I know the mechanics of the game seem to imply that they'd exist, but that's only because you lack the imagination to understand that a believable fantasy world would be just like medieval europe but with elves and wizards.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Daetrin posted:

The really important dead become personal bodyguards or ceremonial guards, where they can be seen and fulfill a high-class role.
Common dead are servants and mid-level laborers - carrying palanquins, hauling carts, possibly brick and mortar work.
Low class and criminal dead get the gruntwork - digging ditches, cranking pumps...planting and harvesting?

If wizards actually exist in a world where everyone else is mundane, it's an actual biological caste system. Wizards are Just Better.

The final stage is the undead taking over because they don't need to breath, eat, sleep, or drink and they can exist for basically forever with enough embalming, and then you have High Cromlech from Bas-Lag.

AlphaDog posted:

Wizzard controlled feudalism (arcanism? beardocracy?), undead laborers, and blacksmiths not existing because a single wizard can do one man-year of blacksmithing in a 10 minutes are silly things, you guys. I know the mechanics of the game seem to imply that they'd exist, but that's only because you lack the imagination to understand that a believable fantasy world would be just like medieval europe but with elves and wizards.

Besides, these neglect sorcerers and their potential to put fabricate and tenser's floating disc in the hands of the masses, triggering a split between inherited aristocracy and pseudo-meritocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Necromantic Economy regards the boneletarian ... like a horse, he must receive enough to enable him to work. It does not consider him, during the time when he is not working, as a former human being. It leaves this to criminal law, doctors, religion, statistical tables, politics, and the beadle.