Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Sagan posted:

Is the TMNT game any good? Because that sounds amazing.

Kai Tave posted:

It's by Palladium so take a guess.

Pretty much.

This was the old late-80's print of the TMNT book, so it was rife with missing poo poo like "how do you even USE skills?" and an entire percentile choice missing from the table list. Like any Palladium system it took liberties with math and common sense. However, compared to Rifts, it is downright restrained and balanced--if you only use TMNT and a couple other books (Ninjas & Superspies, maybe Heroes Unlimited) you could run a pretty alright game. You'd be better off using virtually any other system though, like Savage Worlds, or even Ironclaw.

It only sounds amazing because we did that poo poo when I was 16 (so, 14 goddamn years ago) and that is a magical time to be playing whacked-out tabletop games. This was the same group we ran various Palladium games with at the drop of the hat--Heroes Unlimited-meets-Doom-meets-Metal Gear Solid 1 was a hilariously awful clusterfuck. Or the time we let one player play a hive full of Mechanoids because it sounded funny. Or when we made a Nightbane game where one of the players was a toy-sized Veritech.

What I'm saying is, we played a lot of stupid poo poo as a teenager, and that is probably the only time you want to deal with Palladium's bullshit rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Oh my god yes.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I know I'm asking for trouble, but hey, Rolemaster. Loved it back in college/grad school and am running a short arc of it again for my group. Not sure how to balance encounters so they're not either a cakewalk or instant death though. It such a swingy system - one really good from even a crappy little monster can really mess up a PC. So any tips on encounter building?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Oh my god

Here's the podcast where he talks about recording it. "Motherfuckers talk like Yoda."

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

My first RP experience was either pretending to be a rogue in NexusTK or my first characters in DragonRealms when I was 12.

Tabletop-wise, my first experience was with Mage: The Awakening. It was a neat little game that died after about ten sessions but involved our cabal being on the run from a trio of Seers that made a power grab in Kansas City. Events of note include us firebombing a church full of brainwashed people. Whoops.

My first GMing experience is actually an ongoing Awakening game. It was absolute trash starting out because I had no idea what I was doing but I kinda found my legs and the campaign been going on for over two and a half years now so I guess it isn't too horrible.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I never realized that Michael Chiklis has a pretty smooth voice. Gonna have to grab some of these audio books.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I ran an awful 2e D&D game about horrible bugmen and evil anti-paladins invading the Sword Coast for my first game ever. We were all in Junior High, we still had fun with the meandering story and eventually punching dinosaurs and having a huge fight with the Tarrasque for the ending. It was dumb, ridiculous, wandered all over the place, but I still remember it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My first tabletop RPG experience was AD&D 2E in middle school; the group consisted of my best friend, his older brother who was like a highschool sophomore or something, and his brother's girlfriend. My friend was the DM.

Re: the first door in the entire prewritten adventure, into the dungeon...

Brother's Girlfriend: Does the door push or pull open?
DM: *scrambles to find an answer* Uh I don't think it says? I don't know...
Me: Who cares? Let's get on with it.

Then we had a ten or twenty minute argument about whether it mattered and why. We ended up quitting without killing a monster.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My first tabletop experience involved playing Shadowrun (1e 2e) in early high school with a guy who I was never sure if he was my sister's boyfriend or not and a bunch of other nerds he knew. Highlights of that session include a fist fight where the team troll punched through a guy, the rigger somehow managing to make a van that was rocket proof, and having to talk someone down from a roof IRL.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

My first tabletop RPG experience was AD&D 2E in middle school; the group consisted of my best friend, his older brother who was like a highschool sophomore or something, and his brother's girlfriend. My friend was the DM.

Re: the first door in the entire prewritten adventure, into the dungeon...

Brother's Girlfriend: Does the door push or pull open?
DM: *scrambles to find an answer* Uh I don't think it says? I don't know...
Me: Who cares? Let's get on with it.

Then we had a ten or twenty minute argument about whether it mattered and why. We ended up quitting without killing a monster.

Now this is the D&D I know!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Evil Sagan posted:

Now this is the D&D I know!

But what were the walls made of?

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Tollymain posted:

it is possible and ok to have fun with bad rpgs while playing with good people, as long as you don't mistake the game itself for the source of the fun

I once had a perfectly entertaining Rifts game in spite of the system.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

And Weird Al, and Felicia Day, and David Duchovny, and...:stare:

10 1/2 hours of nerdiness. Can't wait.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've never wanted a Drizzt book so badly in my life

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
My first experience was actually running Beneath the Twisted Tower.

The first NPC they met had a belt of stone giant strength. I made the mistake of reading that aloud. The party quickly murdered the NPC and took his belt.

God bless the Forgotten Realms and God bless D&D.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I wish Bacter and Mzbundifund's let's play of Baldur's Gate updated more regularly because it's the perfect encapsulation of the D&D experience right down to "we'll accept this guy's quest to find his missing loot but instead of giving it back we're going to keep it because it's way, way better than the reward he's offering."

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My first RPG was the old West-End Games Star Wars system. I shot some stormtroopers and stole a ship full of expensive space cargo.

It ruled.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My first rpg experience was palladium fantasy when I was 12. I only remember the system because at the time I thought the word Palladium was cool (it is)

The other two guys were 30 year old ur grogs.

Made it 2 sessions and swore off tg entirely until discovering wod in high school.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It was me, I made that thread.

How does it feel to be so wrong?
I stand by my original statement that the OP was Ettin. Do you have proof that it wasn't Ettin? Would you agree that I am justified in believing it was Ettin? Warning, if you cross me on this, you are legally harassing me, and you will be blacklisted by WotC and Paizo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

dwarf74 posted:

I stand by my original statement that the OP was Ettin. Do you have proof that it wasn't Ettin? Would you agree that I am justified in believing it was Ettin? Warning, if you cross me on this, you are legally harassing me, and you will be blacklisted by WotC and Paizo.

:henget:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My first Dungeons & Dragons experience involved me putting a lot of thought into creating a selfish but good-hearted pirate (are there any other [protagonist] kinds?) and sitting down to play a game only to have one player ask if he could play out the rape of an elf woman fleeing from the orcs we were supposed to kill.

When the GM refused to let him commit rape (so progressive for 1992!) the player said that he would climb a tree to meditate on his impulses and then in turn refused to ever leave the tree.

I never got to play that pirate again.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Will they hold a charity hostage in case he wanted to get off the list and atone for his sins?

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 13, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Tollymain posted:

it is possible and ok to have fun with bad rpgs while playing with good people, as long as you don't mistake the game itself for the source of the fun

All the loving hand wringing and apologizing over people playing things that other people don't like is ridiculous, yo.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't hand wring, i just like to make fun :downs:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

potatocubed posted:

It's basically nonfunctional 'out of the box' - to get the most out of it use it as a source of character inspiration and port the whole thing across to a different system.

I'm most pleased with the ability to be an elephant - no opposable thumbs, walks on all fours, just a regular elephant - who also knows kung fu.

The Bio-E system was fairly elegant for Palladium and still holds up well(ish) now, I think. It is direct and to the point and yeah you can make a porcupine ninja which is boss. It worked OK for Palladium since it was more or less all basic attacks against SDC; no magic, limited psionics, not a ton of stuff that usually renders that system totally awful. Chargen was kind of a nightmare outside bio-e, tho. To keep it in system you pretty much had to just houserule chargen into whatever you wanted for that game or you got a player who was feral and could not wear pants next to like, a muskrat with six PHDs who is also a ninja.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Winson_Paine posted:

a muskrat with six PHDs who is also a ninja.

Well, I've found my next PC.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Winson_Paine posted:

The Bio-E system was fairly elegant for Palladium and still holds up well(ish) now, I think. It is direct and to the point and yeah you can make a porcupine ninja which is boss. It worked OK for Palladium since it was more or less all basic attacks against SDC; no magic, limited psionics, not a ton of stuff that usually renders that system totally awful. Chargen was kind of a nightmare outside bio-e, tho. To keep it in system you pretty much had to just houserule chargen into whatever you wanted for that game or you got a player who was feral and could not wear pants next to like, a muskrat with six PHDs who is also a ninja.

I recently played a super fun one shot TMNT game with completely random generated characters. We all just agreed at the beginning to accept that it was an old game with hosed up rules and to just go with it.

I played a bipedal Deer who couldn't talk but could run at 80mph and could bench press a Honda Accord, we killed a lot of ninjas and had a great time.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

If we are still doing Questions I guess I owe goons 20?

Also riddle of steel is like super swords and sandals Fighting with high lethality and an interesting approach to keeping combat interesting

The system breaks down with like group combat though

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
TMNT is one of those games where you could probably have a lot of fun just sitting around with some beer and making a bunch of crazy characters. I probably wouldn't actually try to play it though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

One question: are you reading Rat Queens, and if not, what kind of dumb are you?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Most of what I remember about my early DMing days is a campaign that never got to end, which was about rats. The villains of the campaign were magic rats and wererats and all kinds of rats, as many as I could dig up stats for. Their evil plan was to try to propel their leader to godhood as the God of Corruption by starting and spreading a disease at some vital point and corrupting some druids and ???.

The trick to all this was that their leader wasn't a wererat. Or even a single being. It was a Dire Rat King whose component dire rats had achieved a sort of evil hivemind. The game fell apart due to RL circumstances shortly after one of the party became a wererat to infiltrate the villain camp. That was going to be fun, I'd thought, because the rat king could influence and command rodent minds.
Did the rat king live in a basement?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lord Frisk posted:

One question: are you reading Rat Queens, and if not, what kind of dumb are you?

The only question worth asking imo

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
I sometimes feel like I am the only person who doesn't love Rat Queens. Like, it's pretty decent, but it exudes a palpable aura of desperate edginess.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

TMNT is one of those games where you could probably have a lot of fun just sitting around with some beer and making a bunch of crazy characters. I probably wouldn't actually try to play it though.

I've actually had a couple of fun afternoons rolling random character generation in original FASERIP Marvel Superheroes and then coming up with a hero persona for the result.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tulul posted:

I sometimes feel like I am the only person who doesn't love Rat Queens. Like, it's pretty decent, but it exudes a palpable aura of desperate edginess.

That's part of its charm imo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Pouring out a 40 for Fell's Five, too good for this sinful world.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fatherdog posted:

I've actually had a couple of fun afternoons rolling random character generation in original FASERIP Marvel Superheroes and then coming up with a hero persona for the result.
Man, I started reading through my PDFs and got all nostalgic the other day.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It wasn't my first roleplaying experience, but the first one that actually got off the ground and saw completion was running a one-shot using Feng Shui that was basically set in the Matrix, loosely ripping off the plot of Die Hard. Also, my friends managed to kill an Agent in the finale through sheer number of bullets being shot at him.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

Pouring out a 40 for Fell's Five, too good for this sinful world.

Agreed. I loved that comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Fell's Five was the best. :hfive:
And the collected hardcover is beautiful. :swoon:

• Locked thread