Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Fashion Souls from next DLC :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Goddammit, this is seriously going to be the only time I ever regretted not getting a season pass. :shepface:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Is that a new sword?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

Holy poo poo that looks amazing :magical:

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Is that some Eastern Armor lookalike I spy? Ugh at yet another katana though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sushibandit posted:

Is that some Eastern Armor lookalike I spy? Ugh at yet another katana though.

I wonder how broken its hitbox is going to be.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 13, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

You didn't have your weapon break in the Sinh fight? He breaks them like nobody's business. Assuming you're not playing on 30 FPS with any rings, though.

Nope. Once I almost had my Melu Scimitar break but killed him just before that.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sihn has never broken my weapon, even while cooping with two other people. I use a twinblade.

Twinblades will almost never break due to their absurdly high durability now.

Flytrap posted:

Is that a new sword?

I hope so (would make sense since IK is basically Katana-land).

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 13, 2014

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah, there's no way they got 150 duel/invasion wins that early, since not only would they need at least 150 Tokens/Orbs, but they'd have to win in the Arena (nigh impossible) or somehow find 150 people who have 10+ sin at sub-1M memory. And of course, the soul rewards from invading would send them skyrocketing above 1M.

You don't actually get souls for killing people in blue invasions.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nikolaos posted:

You don't actually get souls for killing people in blue invasions.

Oops, I meant co-oping, not invading. The sheer amount of souls you'd soak up while getting that many Tokens of Fidelity would be well over 1M.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Genocyber posted:

Nope. Once I almost had my Melu Scimitar break but killed him just before that.
Does the Melu have a non-fashion-souls niche these days? I know it got a damage buff in the latest calibrations, but so did most of the curved swords, and prior to that it seemed to be an inferior choice.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Does the Melu have a non-fashion-souls niche these days? I know it got a damage buff in the latest calibrations, but so did most of the curved swords, and prior to that it seemed to be an inferior choice.

It's just swagger souls, yeah.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Alabaster White posted:

Oops, I meant co-oping, not invading. The sheer amount of souls you'd soak up while getting that many Tokens of Fidelity would be well over 1M.

Shrug

There are 9x12 opportunities to get cracked orbs without using an ascetic which comes out to 43200 souls for 108 100% successful invasions, then add the 3 you get for free, throw in one duel from getting a token to join in the first place and maybe an extra 25000 souls for that, and if you're insanely lucky you have 112 wins at sub-100k SM

I believe in my friend the WoG user

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I started playing this game again over the weekend, and for some reason I am enjoying it a lot more than I did when it first came out. I don't know if something finally clicked in my brain, but the near constant deaths aren't really bothering me nearly as much.

Actually I have made it a fair ways with few deaths, I just got to the pursuer and haven't been able to beat him yet, which seems more in line with a dark souls game than the giant boss before that which I took down on my first try.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Speaking of fashion-souls weapons, I dig greatswords and I want to use the Flamberge. Now, the internet has lead me to believe that a) Bleed is really bad in this game, and b) the Flamberge is among the best of Bleed weapons, so I tried putting a Bleed stone on it anyway. I still don't achieve Bleed effects on anything except bosses, where I might as well get serious and break out the ol' can-do Claymore. Would I be better off just leaving this thing uninfused?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Porkchop Express posted:

I started playing this game again over the weekend, and for some reason I am enjoying it a lot more than I did when it first came out. I don't know if something finally clicked in my brain, but the near constant deaths aren't really bothering me nearly as much.

Actually I have made it a fair ways with few deaths, I just got to the pursuer and haven't been able to beat him yet, which seems more in line with a dark souls game than the giant boss before that which I took down on my first try.

Lock on, circle-dodge right, punish. Repeat until dead.

Also works for a whole bunch of other DS2 bosses.

e: Adaptability stat increases your Agility. Agility controls how many iframes your roll has. Yeah it's really dumb, but make increasing your ADP a priority (ATN also gives Agility bonuses, but very slowly).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Screenshots from the second DLC
http://imgur.com/a/Ivkq5
http://imgur.com/a/prGOB

Also a gameplay video which doesn't show much
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/331x5k/dark-souls-ii--the-crown-of-the-old-iron-king-preview

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Cathair posted:

Speaking of fashion-souls weapons, I dig greatswords and I want to use the Flamberge. Now, the internet has lead me to believe that a) Bleed is really bad in this game, and b) the Flamberge is among the best of Bleed weapons, so I tried putting a Bleed stone on it anyway. I still don't achieve Bleed effects on anything except bosses, where I might as well get serious and break out the ol' can-do Claymore. Would I be better off just leaving this thing uninfused?

The only way I was able to make my flamberge real viable was a full round of miracle buffs, and it being fully upgraded to fit my character. The range on the flamberge is more the draw I think, adding sunlight blades extra couple little inches let's you hit dudes from way further away than they're generally used to when dealing with swords, it can easily put someone in panic mode when you're scraping at them relentlessly.

If you like the weapon and like the way it looks, it's viable for PVE. A little more effort needs to come into it for serious pvp, like stacking bleed effect items with it along with a high dex bleed bonus. I say keep with it because it's a cool sword not enough people use.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Lock on, circle-dodge right, punish. Repeat until dead.

Also works for a whole bunch of other DS2 bosses.

e: Adaptability stat increases your Agility. Agility controls how many iframes your roll has. Yeah it's really dumb, but make increasing your ADP a priority (ATN also gives Agility bonuses, but very slowly).

Huh, I have so far dumped a bunch in to strength because I am melee based with a little ranged thrown in, I haven't looked in depth to the stats so far because there are so goddamn many, but I may farm some souls or used some of the lost undead souls I have sitting in my inventory to bump that star up some.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cathair posted:

Flamberge is not that good of a bleed weapon because it's (relatively) slow and doesn't have particularly great bleed damage. Actual best is powerstanced Bleed Claws, with the Shadow Gauntlets and Crest of Blood (both of which add to bleed damage). Allows for near instant bleed proc.

That said the Flamberge is still a pretty decent greatsword due to the most recent patch. With 40 dex it has ~360 AR, while also being one of the longer greatswords.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So I guess the Crown DLC will be taking place on like the rim of the Iron Keep volcano? It almost looks like you can look down into the skybox from Iron Keep in a few spots in those screenshots/videos; makes me think you might be able to even see Iron Keep from the DLC area.

Parts of the DLC look like some kind of foundry or factory, which is really cool. The rest are more castle-like, I guess.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

That level design looks so goddamn cool. I'm really excited for OIK.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Streaming an Armstrong playthrough (fists + some pyro) in the Champion Cov if anyone wants to see me die horribly.

http://www.twitch.tv/lotusgramarye

e: Or not. loving OBS

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nakar posted:

So I guess the Crown DLC will be taking place on like the rim of the Iron Keep volcano? It almost looks like you can look down into the skybox from Iron Keep in a few spots in those screenshots/videos; makes me think you might be able to even see Iron Keep from the DLC area.

Parts of the DLC look like some kind of foundry or factory, which is really cool. The rest are more castle-like, I guess.

Calling it: The entire purpose of this piece of DLC is to explain how that elevator works.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Interesting. I'm assuming that you're not going to get into the area from any of the green doors in Drangleic, which still makes me wonder what those are for.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Calling it: The entire purpose of this piece of DLC is to explain how that elevator works.

Given how amazingly self-aware the first DLC was, I am totally expecting this.

We're gonna get an elevator that goes downwards and leads to a sky castle or something hilarious like that.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Are... Are the old Iron knights created here?

Inspector, this will be the place where you will be able to unleash your vengeance on the place where your greatest nemesis is created.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Figured out the problem, I had fraps running and it was loving with OBS. So

Streaming an Armstrong playthrough (fists + some pyro) in the Champion Cov if anyone wants to see me die horribly.

http://www.hitbox.tv/lotusgramarye

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 13, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Out of curiosity there isn't a cooldown period for bell invasions if you die as the grey phantom is there? It seems like it takes way longer to find a new fight after dying than if I win.

e: Also double poisoned old whips are a bitch to fight.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fereydun posted:

Given how amazingly self-aware the first DLC was, I am totally expecting this.

We're gonna get an elevator that goes downwards and leads to a sky castle or something hilarious like that.

Son of a bitch. If we don't I'll be so sad.

Partyworm
Jul 8, 2004

Tired of partying
Jesus loving christ.... Squalid Queen. Not only does she poo poo damage from all directions but i'm supposed to kite around adds the whole fight too? I can get her to around 30% but then she spawns one final "gently caress you" add and it all goes down hill from there. Please tell me i'm now the only one bashing their skull on this poo poo? :suicide:

Seriously getting tempted just to co-op her but that just seems so weak at this point.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The npc summons do a pretty good job if it feels less dirty than getting an actual person to co-op with. I bashed for a while until I said gently caress it and stopped trying to preserve effigies for no reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you want to summon someone just do it, it's pointless to worry about that kinda thing.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

Partyworm posted:

Jesus loving christ.... Squalid Queen. Not only does she poo poo damage from all directions but i'm supposed to kite around adds the whole fight too? I can get her to around 30% but then she spawns one final "gently caress you" add and it all goes down hill from there. Please tell me i'm now the only one bashing their skull on this poo poo? :suicide:

Seriously getting tempted just to co-op her but that just seems so weak at this point.

It's a pretty tough fight, yeah. If she summons skeletons you should kill those as soon as possible instead of worrying about her, because they'll most likely die in two hits, and they're easy to attack once Elana finishes casting a spell. If she summons Velstadt its best to just ignore him and focus on her, since his attacks are easy to dodge. I found summoning to not be that helpful, since its easy to accidentally get hit by Velstadt while you're focusing on Elana. Also, Elana tends to summon Velstadt a lot more if you're doing co-op.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Porkchop Express posted:

Huh, I have so far dumped a bunch in to strength because I am melee based with a little ranged thrown in, I haven't looked in depth to the stats so far because there are so goddamn many, but I may farm some souls or used some of the lost undead souls I have sitting in my inventory to bump that star up some.

Don't pump your stats beyond the bare minimum needed to wield a weapon until you get further into the game. You get far more bang per buck upgrading your weapon than you get from weapon damage scaling. Remember that two-handing a weapon halves the minimum Strength required to wield it, which can be useful in a pinch.

I also did something like three playthroughs with the bare minimum Vigor, then tried actually upgrading it during my current test CoC run. Made a huuuuge difference in survivability. A single level doesn't increase your HP much but it adds up really quickly.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So, my "Get Kasumi her Goddamn Katana Already" run was interesting. Alltogether took me about an hour and a half to go from start, to the Iron Keep, and then back around to the Bastille. By the end I was at about 77k SM. It actually made a bunch of relatively easy enemies dangerous due to my unupgraded weapon.

Well, except for that fat Jabba lookin' motherfucker, he went down in seconds :v:

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Don't pump your stats beyond the bare minimum needed to wield a weapon until you get further into the game. You get far more bang per buck upgrading your weapon than you get from weapon damage scaling. Remember that two-handing a weapon halves the minimum Strength required to wield it, which can be useful in a pinch.

I also did something like three playthroughs with the bare minimum Vigor, then tried actually upgrading it during my current test CoC run. Made a huuuuge difference in survivability. A single level doesn't increase your HP much but it adds up really quickly.

Yeah I pumped it up just enough to use a weapon I had in my inventory, then did a little weapon upgrading after that.

My girlfriend tells me that she only leveled up when we needed to use a weapon, but how does leveling up vigor work in this scenario? Admittedly I am ignorant of most of the stars, but that particular stat doesn't effect what weapons you can equip does it? Is it just a stat you should level to a certain amount and then never touch again?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

All vigor does is increase your health. Only strength, dexterity, intelligence, and faith are needed for weapon requirements.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm pretty sure that sword is the White version of the Blacksteel Katana that exists in the game's code but we can't get yet.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Right. However, if you have your sights set on heavier weapons then you will find yourself really wanting to pump Vitality as well, otherwise you simply won't have the carrying capacity to handle that weapon. I'm assuming you know that going above 69.99% equip load causes you to fat roll.

If you're playing a melee character you'll want to pump Vigor so you can take a hit or two, Vitality so you can actually carry powerful weapons and still be effective, Adaptability so that you have more margin for error while dodging (btw learn enemy attack rhythms and practice dodging them. Later bosses will punish the gently caress out of you if you just cower behind your shield), and whatever Str and Dex you require to wield your weapons of choice, but no more. You're not a caster so put nothing into Attunement, Wisdom, and Faith until like, endgame or something.

All stats also have a "soft cap" and a "hard cap". Increasing a stat beyond its soft cap will give you dramatically reduced returns compared to the effect of all the points leading up to the soft cap, and beyond the hard cap it does nothing whatsoever (but you're not going to get there any time soon). Vigor softcaps at 20, and Adaptibility effectively softcaps as soon as you have 100 Agility; the next iframe you get after 100 Agility is very expensive compared to all the ones leading up to 100.

I'm not sure about pumping the Stamina stat, maybe it helps? I wouldn't be the best person to ask, to me it seems like a waste of levels because you have to pour a lot of points into it to get a single useful quantum out of it (i.e. one more chained strike before your stamina is depleted). The quanta for things like iframes and HP are far smaller.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/stats

I strongly recommend you read this article, it will save you a lot of frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I hear the Herald gets really grumpy with you if you've gone through the Shrine without killing all four bosses. What does she say?