Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed this movie a lot.

It's way better than Godzilla, how are y'all even having that argument? Once the monsters fought in Hawaii, I just spent the next hour drumming my fingers and silently begging the movie to get back around to the awesome monster fighting.

Anyway, the GotG soundtrack is No. 1 on Billboard, the first soundtrack in history to do so with only previously released material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Light Gun Man posted:

Space death cult dudes and the fact that Drax basically is Riddick in many ways.

How many movies have space death cult style armies anyway? This did, Riddick, Lexx, does this come from some common earlier reference or what?

There was one called Universal Church of Truth that was lead by Magus. It was a real join our church or we will wipe you out.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Drunk in Space posted:

One of the reasons I find this interesting is that up until now all the MCU films have been almost entirely Earthbound adventures (save for some parts of the Thor movies of course), and yet if the galaxy truly is a thriving Star Wars-esque setting, then presumably our world just a backward, irrelevent speck from a galactic point of view (child abduction missions and Inifinity Gem hunts notwithstanding), seeing as it doesn't even have a level of technological advancement to be connected with the galactic community as even some scummy Outer Rim backwater planet. Kind of puts all the 'epic' adventures in the previous films into a hilariously insular perspective, with the exception of Malekith I guess.

Yeah. It's also a different perspective from the comic books. Grade-A superheroes are really thin on the ground in the MCU. We have the Hulk, basically. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch soon, I guess. Whereas in the cosmic side of the comic books you'll have whole races that manage to generate one single superhero while on Earth you can't open your front door without bouncing off someone who can shoot lightning out of their rear end. Earth has a weird reputation for being a total backwater shithole that at the same time is populated by an incredibly scary assortment of demi-gods, cosmic beings, and completely insane boy scouts. Pretty recently the galactic community tried to sever all ties and enforce a no fly zone sorta thing around Earth just because we're such giant prima donnas that noone wants to deal with us any longer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah. It's also a different perspective from the comic books. Grade-A superheroes are really thin on the ground in the MCU. We have the Hulk, basically. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch soon, I guess. Whereas in the cosmic side of the comic books you'll have whole races that manage to generate one single superhero while on Earth you can't open your front door without bouncing off someone who can shoot lightning out of their rear end. Earth has a weird reputation for being a total backwater shithole that at the same time is populated by an incredibly scary assortment of demi-gods, cosmic beings, and completely insane boy scouts. Pretty recently the galactic community tried to sever all ties and enforce a no fly zone sorta thing around Earth just because we're such giant prima donnas that noone wants to deal with us any longer.

Then earth saved the entire universe. The no fly zone was a ploy by Starlord's dad since he is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Then earth saved the entire universe. The no fly zone was a ploy by Starlord's dad since he is a huge rear end in a top hat.

John Lithgow for Star-Lord's dad.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of wish they'd used more actual Kree in the movie than just more generic cyber-monster-aliens (basically Chitauri stand-ins).

If anyone here who knows about the comics could tell me where a good place to start with modern Guardians of the Galaxy would be, that'd be great. The only stuff I know is that they were hanging out with Iron Man and then Captain Marvel for a while, and Quill was being all "no, gently caress YOU dad".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

First Bass posted:

I kind of wish they'd used more actual Kree in the movie than just more generic cyber-monster-aliens (basically Chitauri stand-ins).

If anyone here who knows about the comics could tell me where a good place to start with modern Guardians of the Galaxy would be, that'd be great. The only stuff I know is that they were hanging out with Iron Man and then Captain Marvel for a while, and Quill was being all "no, gently caress YOU dad".

Annihilation, Annihilation conquest, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Reign of Kings, Realm of Kings, Thanos Imperative.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Where I think he's "new ground" is in how outright silly he's willing to be. Things like the Jackson Pollock joke or the dance-off or the space-rat mic. He's brilliantly juvenile. Han Solo was always, on some level, trying to look cool. Quill isn't, at all; he's abandoned cool in favor of funny.

I think this is the root of why people are comparing Pratt to Indiana Jones -- Indiana Jones was the first "action hero" to have a sensitive silly side, to obviously get hurt, to show fear, etc. -- shooting the swordsman, "Why did it have to be snakes," etc. Pratt's taking that to the next level.
That's it for me too more or less. I think Quill is trying to be cool, he just doesn't have the maturity level for it so he ends up being funny. The opening scene where he calls himself Starlord or when he saves Gamora in space exemplify this if I'm recalling them correctly, he might seem cool one second then disarms that idea with his next line.

Really random/crazy but when trying to think of another character it kinda reminded me of Fry from Futurama, particularly when Leela said "I love his boyish charm, but hate his childishness." Quill has the action hero side going but I think a lot of what makes him likable is just how much of a kid he is. You get the funny immaturity from that but also the heart that makes the relationships believable.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

PostNouveau posted:

I enjoyed this movie a lot.

It's way better than Godzilla, how are y'all even having that argument? Once the monsters fought in Hawaii, I just spent the next hour drumming my fingers and silently begging the movie to get back around to the awesome monster fighting.

Anyway, the GotG soundtrack is No. 1 on Billboard, the first soundtrack in history to do so with only previously released material.

He's going to find so many new Awesome Mix care packages left by his mom in the sequels.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Universe Master posted:

He's going to find so many new Awesome Mix care packages left by his mom in the sequels.

Basically the capsules Dr. Light left in the Mega Man games. :allears:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Universe Master posted:

Peter's dad will have one. Peter will think his dad is a womanizing playboy who doesn't even recall his mother, but in fact his dad's decision to keep the tape proves otherwise.

It will feature nothing but inappropriately sexual songs from the mid-70's, and will make everyone uncomfortable. Drax will break the tension. "I believe your mother was impregnated during this recording!" Groot will look embarrassed.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Xealot posted:

Peter's dad will have one. Peter will think his dad is a womanizing playboy who doesn't even recall his mother, but in fact his dad's decision to keep the tape proves otherwise.

It will feature nothing but inappropriately sexual songs from the mid-70's, and will make everyone uncomfortable. Drax will break the tension. "I believe your mother was impregnated during this recording!" Groot will look embarrassed.

"I am Groot."
"Dammit Groot, Quill's sitting right here, did you have to say that? You're disgusting."

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Annihilation, Annihilation conquest, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, War of Kings, Realm of Kings, Thanos Imperative.

Fixed one little thing for you.

The full reading list for that era of Marvel Cosmic can be daunting, but it's worth reading most of it. It sort of feels like it has a beginning and a hell of an ending if you read the books in the proper order. Nova and Guardians runs concurrent with the events, although Guardians starts after Annihilation Conquest. There is a Star Lord miniseries that takes place during that event, though, which kind of establishes the team.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 14, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Filthy Casual posted:

Awesome movie, and I never expected a Footloose reference to accurately foreshadow the final battle.

Ronan's complete inability to comprehend what he was seeing at that moment was loving beautiful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I liked how pro wrestler Ronan got on Thanos when he got a hold of the Infinity Gem.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Did Drax do anything useful the entire movie?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RatHat posted:

Quill would have been shot multiple times if not for Drax.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RatHat posted:

He was loving hilarious.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RatHat posted:

He owned bitches?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

He made the astoundingly astute observation that they should put more of this liquid into their bodies

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
He explained figurative language to that robot guy with the world's coolest shotgun

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

He shot the big gun that destroyed the hammer and gave Quill the chance to save the planet?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RatHat posted:

He proved what a good friend he was to Gamora :colbert:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

RatHat posted:

He took out The Pursuer. (metaphorically speaking)

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

During The Collector's exposition about the Infinity Stones he mentions a group that tried sharing the power of the stones but even they were eventually overwhelmed. Is this based on something in the comics?

EDIT: VVV Can't believe I didn't pick up on that :doh:

bowser fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 14, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

bowser posted:

During The Collector's exposition about the Infinity Stones he mentions a group that tried sharing the power of the stones but even they were eventually overwhelmed. Is this based on something in the comics?

I think it was to foreshadow that The Stone's power can be shared among multiple people, rather than having to be wielded by a single individual.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bowser posted:

Nah, the gems were easily able to be held by individuals in the comics.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

In the comics Drax swallows the Power Stone for awhile.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
He saved Quill's life. Oh wait, destroying the ship he's on is not saving him.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think there's some very silly workaround for this in the Marvel universe, like our planet happens to be located at the interstellar equivalent of Union Station or something.

Earth is the home planet of the Nexus Of All Reality. Which they actually alluded to existing (along with it's guardian, Man-Thing) in an episode of Agents of SHIELD.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RatHat posted:

He explained the concept of metaphor to Djimon Hounsou while ripping part of his head open. :3:

Also "I have won! As I always have."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

My only complaint about this movie is that they removed the censoring in Quill's lineup scene. The trailer version was way funnier with it in.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

mikeraskol posted:

He saved Quill's life. Oh wait, destroying the ship he's on is not saving him.

When did they establish that?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Kruller posted:

When did they establish that?

Like three seconds ago!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Guardians of the Galaxy is basically the best space adventure movie this year. Actually the instant it finished, I texted a friend that it was the best space opera since Return of the Jedi. Having seen it once since then I feel like I'm pretty much confirmed in that opinion. I have not had this much fun at the movies in a long time, and there have been some drat good big tentpole movies this year: X-Men, Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow... it's somehow just this perfect balance between fun and action, an ensemble movie with no weak characters and evokes a whole sci-fi universe without ever feeling bloated or bogged down.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

First Bass posted:

Like three seconds ago!

I wasn't listening, I was thinking of something else.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Harime Nui posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is basically the best space adventure movie this year. Actually the instant it finished, I texted a friend that it was the best space opera since Return of the Jedi. Having seen it once since then I feel like I'm pretty much confirmed in that opinion. I have not had this much fun at the movies in a long time, and there have been some drat good big tentpole movies this year: X-Men, Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow... it's somehow just this perfect balance between fun and action, an ensemble movie with no weak characters and evokes a whole sci-fi universe without ever feeling bloated or bogged down.
I like the Marvel films because they dispense with the pretentiousness that plagues DC heroes.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Bifford posted:

I like the Marvel films because they dispense with the pretentiousness that plagues DC heroes.

I wonder what you'd see if you turned a black light on in Superman's room.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

First Bass posted:

I wonder what you'd see if you turned a black light on in Superman's room.

quote:

Ejaculation of semen is entirely involuntary in the human male, and in all other forms of terrestrial life. It would be unreasonable to assume otherwise for a kryptonian. But with kryptonian muscles behind it, Kal-El's semen would emerge with the muzzle velocity of a machine gun bullet. (*One can imagine that the Kent home in Smallville was riddled with holes during Superboy's puberty. And why did Lana Lang never notice that?*)

. . .

All known forms of kryptonian life have superpowers. The same must hold true of living kryptonian sperm. We may reasonably assume that kryptonian sperm are vulnerable only to starvation and to green kryptonite; that they can travel with equal ease through water, air, vacuum, glass, brick, boiling steel, solid steel, liquid helium, or the core of a star; and that they are capable of translight velocities.

. . .

This is more serious than it looks.

Consider: these sperm are virtually indestructible. Within days or weeks they will die for lack of nourishment. Meanwhile they cannot be affected by heat, cold, vacuum, toxins, or anything short of green kryptonite. (*And other forms of kryptonite. For instance, there are chunks of red kryptonite that make giants of kryptonians. Imagine ten million earthworm size spermatozoa swarming over a Metropolis beach, diving to fertilize the beach balls... but I digress.*) There they are, minuscule but dangerous; for each has supernormal powers.

Metropolis is shaken by tiny sonic booms. Wormholes, charred by meteoric heat, sprout magically in all kinds of things: plate glass, masonry, antique ceramics, electric mixers, wood, household pets, and citizens. Some of the sperm will crack lightspeed. The Metropolis night comes alive with a network of narrow, eerie blue lines of Cherenkov radiation.

http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html

(don't blame me, blame Larry Niven)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

:staredog:

Sorry I asked.

• Locked thread