Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The two were arrested for not leaving a mcdonalds quickly enough and taking pictures of police. No paperwork, no charges. Officers have not identified themselves. Apparently, a reporter called the police chief to ask about the arrests and that was the first the chief heard of it, saying "oh god."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Teddybear posted:

The two were arrested for not leaving a mcdonalds quickly enough and taking pictures of police. No paperwork, no charges. Officers have not identified themselves. Apparently, a reporter called the police chief to ask about the arrests and that was the first the chief heard of it, saying "oh god."

See they were detained not arrested!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Your Sledgehammer posted:

You know, I think the DOJ would already have been all over this poo poo, and basically told the Ferguson PD to unilaterally stand down, if President Obama weren't afraid of being accused of playing racial politics. After the Gates arrest thing early in his Presidency, he has barely touched anything remotely racial. It's really, really sad that he is probably right to be so cautious.

trayvon is the dead son he never had so Mike Brown must be even harder on the poor guy. I'm sure he'll be able to say something wise after his grieving is through.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Naet posted:

Is there confirmation on the arrest of the two journalists? I mean, all signs point to yes, but are we sure?

It's legit. One of the journos in question: https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

And confirmation from the other

quote:

Well, @WesleyLowery and I have been released. That was an experience.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

His tweets about hearing a guy yelling for help are harrowing

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Is the police dept there staffed entirely with a bunch of vets who never turned their war switch back to the off position? How is poo poo getting so out of control on the police side of things?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

ReidRansom posted:

Is the police dept there staffed entirely with a bunch of vets who never turned their war switch back to the off position? How is poo poo getting so out of control on the police side of things?

Because nobody seems to be ready to call in the national guard to disperse the police.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Just started reading about this, since I don't watch the news too often. This is all loving insane. Every inch of it. Hope something good ends up coming out of this clusterfuck.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
The sun is going down, will the protestors disperse? If not will the police force them to?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
MSNBC will have one of the arrested reporters live on the phone in a couple minutes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Actual military officers have been yelling about how this is exactly what you're not supposed to do to win "hearts and minds" so I'm not so sure that the police are too militarized since the military is telling them not to do this stuff.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

D_I posted:

The sun is going down, will the protestors disperse? If not will the police force them to?

The police will not arrest them for curfew violation but they will force them to based on whatever justification they used for lobbing tear gas at people standing in their own yards earlier this week.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm waiting for someone to cop-splain how really, detaining press in a private establishment while refusing to give any identification is either:

A. Totally normal and ok and nothing to complain about

or

B. So abnormal and strange that this obviously can't be the full story/no true copsman.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I am in front of the cops right now. They used the LRAD on me but I got ear plugs. Checkmate.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Ryan J Reilly is recounting his arrest on Chris Hayes' show, this is some vile poo poo going down.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

hobbesmaster posted:

Actual military officers have been yelling about how this is exactly what you're not supposed to do to win "hearts and minds" so I'm not so sure that the police are too militarized since the military is telling them not to do this stuff.

This caused me to go see what GiP were saying about this and holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with that subforum

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gregor Samsa posted:

This caused me to go see what GiP were saying about this and holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with that subforum

Its basically LF

edit: The current event threads are. If you're looking in the cops threads they can't really talk about what they aren't involved with and a thread on this topic there is just going to degenerate into garbage within three posts.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

The cops are only doing what they've done normally. The difference now, media from outside is looking in. They haven't had to deal with that before and nothing in their lives so far has demonstrated that they ever will.

E:

Neo Duckberg posted:

I am in front of the cops right now. They used the LRAD on me but I got ear plugs. Checkmate.

EARPLUGS ARE RESISTANCE. QUIT RESISTING. KNOW YOUR PLACE. RETURN TO YOUR HOME NOW. DEADLY FORCE HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Duckberg posted:

do they have one of those human popcorn machines too?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

hobbesmaster posted:

Its basically LF

It had been a very long time since I heard someone suggest glassing every "sand friend of the family" in the Middle East.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

hobbesmaster posted:

Its basically LF

You mean like, the opposite right?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

This really isn't out of line for police behavior in terms of the modern militarized police. The difference is they're getting more pushback than normal from the public and people are actually able to see how they respond to such.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

maybe he means OG LF which was a contain zone for paul people

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Everyone Is moving away from the cops into Canfield now. Lots of tension

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

It's sometimes easier to describe a positron as an electron.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Horseshoe theory.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
Rachel Maddow looked to nearly be in tears as she was talking about this mess. They're about to have an interview with the other arrested journalist.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh hey, just heard that the SEC is launching a nation-wide investigation into alternate-investment mutual funds. Hm, why, its almost as if Obama is trying to send a message to Wells-Fargo cut this poo poo out now. This is how you produce actionable change as an effective President. I wonder how long until the local cops start to get the message? ETA: One call to Nixon. Don't call Obama weak when he's the strongest President since Nixon.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Funny how the Oath Keepers haven't come to Ferguson.

If nothing else this has been quite useful for sorting out which of those tri cornered hat wearing gadsden flag caped "libertarians" is really upset by gross overreach of the state curtailing the freedoms of the individual and using brute force to coerce and intimidate, and which just don't like that the President is black.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Haha America is occupying itself.

Haha America is using its state-terror techniques against its own citizens.

Haha you just put the words "police" on the back of soldiers with machine guns.

Haha this will probably be copied in my country.

Ha...

Just send in the National Guard Obama, you don't need to be elected again. Although I know the idea of Obama doing good things is so 2008.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

thefncrow posted:

This really isn't out of line for police behavior in terms of the modern militarized police. The difference is they're getting more pushback than normal from the public and people are actually able to see how they respond to such.

Yeah normally people take a just want to go about my day stance but you can only do they for so long.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Evidently we were warned a few pages back about talking about how poo poo GiP is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nopantsjack posted:

Just send in the National Guard Obama, you don't need to be elected again. Although I know the idea of Obama doing good things is so 2008.

Even the Little Rock crisis took a few weeks to solve.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Kitfox88 posted:

Has this been proven real yet because if so hoo boy. :allears:

Was this ever verified or debunked?

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Petr posted:

Was this ever verified or debunked?

She's a Chicago lawyer with no relation to the police chief, iirc.

Also, neither the Ferguson or county police chief is named Nardi.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

If nothing else this has been quite useful for sorting out which of those tri cornered hat wearing gadsden flag caped "libertarians" is really upset by gross overreach of the state curtailing the freedoms of the individual and using brute force to coerce and intimidate, and which just don't like that the President is black.

You hadn't already sorted that out?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Maddow is currently interviewing Wesley Lowery, one of the two reporters arrested

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

computer parts posted:

Even the Little Rock crisis took a few weeks to solve.

57 years ago on the heels of Brown v. Board, prior to meaningful civil rights legislation, with an openly racist governor, and a president with no courage to fight racism.

We should be able to do better (to the point that this poo poo shouldn't even happen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Teddybear posted:

This sounds really plausible now, with this tweet from Wesley Lowery:

quote:

"The chief thought he was doing you a favor" - police officer tells me about release. With no charges, no police report

That certainly sounds like the reporter called the police chief, the chief found out what his moron officers just did, and ordered a release.

• Locked thread