Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The story moves really quickly though, and its sort of satisfying to see Jadeite and friends basically melting to death. The artstyle's even way better than I had thought it was going to be, I was somewhat expecting something along the lines of the promotional art where its all noodly and sort of bad but it really looks a lot like the 90s anime to me.

Crystal really doesn't look much like it at all.

The story just hurtles itself along, it was a real surprise to me when I first read it. The art's so good I sometimes just flip through and re-read random parts just to look at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

RMZXAnarchy posted:

You mean August 30th. September 6th will be a week without Crystal (Which means of course that we'll hit episode 13 around christmas.)

No, I mean September 6th. The schedule is not biweekly.

https://twitter.com/neonalley/status/499632378663669760

http://missdream.org/sailor-moon-interviews-and-articles/sailor-moon-crystal-article-in-animage-july-2014-issue/

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Really? That's... sort of dumb.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

a kitten posted:

The story just hurtles itself along, it was a real surprise to me when I first read it. The art's so good I sometimes just flip through and re-read random parts just to look at it again.

Wasn't the manga monthly, though?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Really? That's... sort of dumb.

Not really, It allows them to stay true the the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month. It's annoying but that is what they said they were doing.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Obligatory Toast posted:

Wasn't the manga monthly, though?

Yeah the manga was monthly and started a month before the anime premiered.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SuperS is amazing. It has great morals of the story like beating your child with a stick is good if you do it out of love. Also Tiger Eye is a literal pedophile.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

SuperS is amazing. It has great morals of the story like beating your child with a stick is good if you do it out of love. Also Tiger Eye is a literal pedophile.

Yeah Dream could do with a redo

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

a cartoon duck posted:

Also horses are very healthy love interests for small children.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Accurately predicting the boom Hasbro's riding on :v:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Here's a live performance of Moon Pride. The choreography is pretty neat.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

I love the fact that people are waving glowsticks around for an anime song. :allears:

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I don't believe it. The translation was actually good this week (at least on Crunchyroll.) If only the same could be said about the animation...

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
At least Usagi didn't get drunk and pass out this time around.

MAKO-CHAAAAN!! :swoon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Violet_Sky posted:

I love the fact that people are waving glowsticks around for an anime song. :allears:

It seems to be a common thing at Japanese concerts. Maybe just anime concerts, those are the only ones I've seen.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

At least Usagi didn't get drunk and pass out this time around.

MAKO-CHAAAAN!! :swoon:

So, ETA to "Don't lose your way?"

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Well, I'm glad that Jadeite got retconned into saying "drat you, Sailor Mars!" instead of "Rascal, Sailor Mars!" at the end of his fight last episode.

Which is good, because those would have been terrible last words if he died.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I DON'T WANT TO WAIT THREE WEEKS FOR SAILOR JUPITER :emo:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Maybe with that extra time we'll get actual factual 2D animated transformation sequences?

Please?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pinwiz11 posted:

I DON'T WANT TO WAIT THREE WEEKS FOR SAILOR JUPITER :emo:

ME TOO. :emo:

But Rei and Ami had a cute moment at the beginning.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So its *almost* exactly the same as the Manga at this point save for a few scenes here and there. Why is Jadeite even still alive? So they could have the scene where all four appear and taunt the senshi? Hell Kunzite wasn't even introduced yet in the Manga at this point. Oh well, they kept the first shot of Makoto in. :syoon:

Is Nephrite going to miraculously survive his encounter with Mako-chan next episode, just so the Four Kings stay alive for now or something?

Though I'm still a bit bugged by the three weeks thing, drat you August! I need my best girl fix! Maybe the anticipation will make the time go quicker.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 16, 2014

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems to be a common thing at Japanese concerts. Maybe just anime concerts, those are the only ones I've seen.

A big component of Jpop concerts is using glow sticks and screaming chants to songs (called wotagei). Since Momoclo does more than anime theme songs they have their own set of chants for their shows.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I wonder if the four kings are going to stay alive so they can be moon brainwashed back to the good guys?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

SystemLogoff posted:

I wonder if the four kings are going to stay alive so they can be moon brainwashed back to the good guys?

Nooo I don't want Zoicite and Kunzite to turn ungay. :saddowns:

If they do turn good, I don't want them to be the senshis perfect boyfriends. I know it's shojo, but would it kill anybody to remain single?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

SystemLogoff posted:

Omg I was wishing that so hard during this episode.

Like in Pretty Guardian, right?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

If they do turn good, I don't want them to be the senshis perfect boyfriends. I know it's shojo, but would it kill anybody to remain single?

They aren't exactly this in the manga anyway.

Gnossiennes posted:

Omg I was wishing that so hard during this episode.

Like in Pretty Guardian, right?

iirc in PGSM they still get killed at the end but also get their real memories back, and in the special act they come back to protect Mamoru.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

aers posted:

They aren't exactly this in the manga anyway.

iirc in PGSM they still get killed at the end but also get their real memories back, and in the special act they come back to protect Mamoru.

That explains why I wasn't sure :) I put on the final/special episode one day to show my spouse that it was pretty cheesey, and I ended up watching most of it instead. I'd like to actually watch the whole thing someday.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If I remember correctly even though they stayed dead in the manga, there was a scene during R or S where Mamoru gathers their stones together and their ghosts appear so he can ask them a question.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I don't really know anything about the Manga but Sailor Moon was one of the Toonami shows I loved as a middle schooler. My friends told me about the reboot and I just finished marathoning the first four episodes. It feels really fast paced but the animation is just so beautiful compared to the old one. I'm already super impatient about waiting the next two weeks to meet the best Sailor Scout (Jupiter).

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Violet_Sky posted:

I don't think there's anything at any point that implies that Zoisite and Kunzite's relationship (which is really only explicitly a romance in the anime - in the manga they have some affectionate body language towards each other, like Zoisite sitting on the arm of the chair Kunzite is sitting in and leaning against him, but that's all) is the result of evil brainwashing. That would be really homophobic and way inconsistent with the generally positive portrayal of gay characters in the franchise.

Rather, the relationship between Zoisite and Kunzite is presented as a redeeming feature, a sign that although they're the baddies, they're still capable of good human feelings like love.

I have an instant, huge, deep crush on Makoto's new voice. So deep and intense! My little heart went pit-a-pat! It also went pit-a-pat for Kenji in his tuxedo because drat. Hot dad alert.

I enjoyed Rei's little moment with Ami, high-tenning when she won the video game, then being flustered about, like, showing emotion, then recovering her composure - but other than that she was super bland this week. I don't want a sweet Rei, I want Rei with her bad-tempered edge. She's a chili pepper, not a strawberry.

Ernie Muppari posted:

Maybe with that extra time we'll get actual factual 2D animated transformation sequences?

Please?

Extremely unlikely. The transformation sequences weren't done in that 3D CGI style to save money or time, it was a deliberate choice by the director because he thought it'd look really cool and magical. What I'm really hoping for is that we might get a whole episode animated by the competent animation unit, rather than some shots by them and some shots by the crummy unit (like that one of Umino and Motoki entering the arcade where they both look deformed). The difference between them is so visible and jarring.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Dove from Above posted:

Extremely unlikely. The transformation sequences weren't done in that 3D CGI style to save money or time, it was a deliberate choice by the director because he thought it'd look really cool and magical. What I'm really hoping for is that we might get a whole episode animated by the competent animation unit, rather than some shots by them and some shots by the crummy unit (like that one of Umino and Motoki entering the arcade where they both look deformed). The difference between them is so visible and jarring.

Man, how d'you even notice Umino looking weirder than usual? That kid's a weird little chunk at the best of times.

(not defending the not-good animation team here, just making fun of Umino)

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Dove from Above posted:

I enjoyed Rei's little moment with Ami, high-tenning when she won the video game, then being flustered about, like, showing emotion, then recovering her composure - but other than that she was super bland this week. I don't want a sweet Rei, I want Rei with her bad-tempered edge. She's a chili pepper, not a strawberry.

I think the character personalities are definitely a flaw in the manga, or at least a weak point. In the original anime, each character had a defined personality with a big punch to it. The manga doesn't have that same kick to it, probably because the pacing is so much faster than the anime and there's less filler. Sometimes I feel like everyone's personalities just blend in too much with one another, so it ends up a little bland.

In my opinion, you see the characters shine best during the arcs and stories that aren't Usagi centered. The side stories like Ami's love letter or Minako wanting to go to Rei's school, and the short character arcs in SuperS have some pretty decent development.

That said, Mamoru is probably one huge improvement in the manga, and some of the relationships I favor in there more than the original anime. I enjoy Usagi and Mamoru's interactions a lot more in the manga, and Usagi and Chibiusa have a better bond too.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I dunno, I thought Ami's and Rei's transformation sequences looked pretty great in 3D, like they made full use of CGI for the water and fire effects. It's really just Usagi's that looks bad since she doesn't have anything going for it, plus it feels twice as long as the others so it just drags on.

Shame we're probably not gonna see Sailor Moon eviscerate a dude though.

Edit: In more old anime SuperS news, turns out Fish Eye and the horse are also literal pedophiles. I wonder what went through the directors' heads when they decided the Trio's targets should be people they're attracted to, but that they also needed child targets. At least you can always rely on Hawk Eye being a cougar lover.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 17, 2014

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

a cartoon duck posted:

Edit: In more old anime SuperS news, turns out Fish Eye and the horse are also literal pedophiles. I wonder what went through the directors' heads when they decided the Trio's targets should be people they're attracted to, but that they also needed child targets. At least you can always rely on Hawk Eye being a cougar lover.

Oh there is SO much creepy in SuperS re: sexualisation of kids (like the episode where Chibiusa, being a little kid and unselfconscious about her body and besides HE'S A MAGIC HORSIE APPEARING IN A SNOWGLOBE, takes off her dress to change into PJs in front of Pegasus and he goes all blushy and hides his face behind his wing and she's like 'what?'). Pegasus is a creeper and really controlling. And then there's the whole rape metaphor with the Trio's violation of dream mirrors. If it had seemed like they had something coherent to say with this, it would feel justified, but they don't seem to have had, and then they gave the Trio a half-assed redemption arc in which they didn't actually learn or change or feel sorry for any of the harm they did, so that was a wash.

I do think the Senshi have distinct personalities in the manga, but Rei is more of a cool beauty with a hot temper, whereas anime Rei wants to PROJECT the image of a cool beauty with a hot temper, but is in fact a massive dork who gets her head stepped on and collects takarazuka magazines and apparently lives on instant curry and other ready meals.
God I love anime Rei.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
The only thing I really didn't like about anime Rei was the fact that they made her just as boy-crazy as the other girls. One of the things I really loved about Rei in the manga was that she didn't go crazy over boys all the time, and when asked why, she just said she didn't care.

Don't get me wrong, I do love a lot of the anime only interactions that we'd get, but I actually prefer manga Rei way more than anime Rei because of that little nitpick. Her gushing over Mamoru always really upset me when I remembered how she actually was more focused on her training as a priestess and as a soldier than over boys. I thought it was a really negative thing they added to her character, and that they made a whole weird love triangle between Usagi, Mamoru, and Rei.

On the subject of SuperS, I remember really loving SuperS as a kid because I loved how crazy and over the top the monsters were and how weird the episodes were. I wish I could go back to thinking that way because holy poo poo, SuperS is legitimately one of the weirdest seasons, but not in the positive way I thought it was as a kid. I'm pretty sure I just liked the bright and flashy colors.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tree Huffer posted:

The only thing I really didn't like about anime Rei was the fact that they made her just as boy-crazy as the other girls. One of the things I really loved about Rei in the manga was that she didn't go crazy over boys all the time, and when asked why, she just said she didn't care.

Maybe she was being boy-crazy to fit in? Teenage girls often follow their friends on what to like sometimes.

Besides, we all know Rei's going to end up being a strong, independent woman who don't need no man.

...I miss anime Rei.

EDIT: On SuperS, I read that it was it directed by the guy who did Revolutionary Girl Utena, so that explains the :stare: moments.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 17, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ikuhara was series director for R, S, and SuperS, before quitting Toei since they wouldn't let him do what he wanted on the SuperS movie. Then he went and made Utena with a bunch of dudes he met working on Sailor Moon, like Enokido, who was the main writer for SuperS and Utena. You may also know him as the guy who went on to make Star Driver with his BFF Igarashi, another ex-Toei staffer who directed a lot of key Sailor Moon episodes as well as his own show, Doremi.

The original Sailor Moon's staff list is full of people who would go on to make big names for themselves afterwards (and even during).

Some random trivia - Ikuhara & Hideaki Anno are good friends and a bunch of Gainax dudes ended up guest animating on a few episodes of S. Anno himself directed Neptune & Uranus's transformation sequences.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm really disappointed that they didn't have a scene of them imagining Umino without his glasses like they did in the manga.

a cartoon duck posted:

Edit: In more old anime SuperS news, turns out Fish Eye and the horse are also literal pedophiles.

Correction: It was Tiger Eye that went after children/teenagers. Fish Eye was the gay one that went after men, leading to one of the more memorable SuperS moments when he dressed as a woman and seduced Mamoru, then ripped off his shirt (dress?) to reveal he was a guy. Obviously this was cut in the dub since they made Fish Eye a woman in that. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm really disappointed that they didn't have a scene of them imagining Umino without his glasses like they did in the manga.

Correction: It was Tiger Eye that went after children/teenagers. Fish Eye was the gay one that went after men, leading to one of the more memorable SuperS moments when he dressed as a woman and seduced Mamoru, then ripped off his shirt (dress?) to reveal he was a guy. Obviously this was cut in the dub since they made Fish Eye a woman in that. :v:

To be fair Fish Eye looks super girly. If it had not been stated that Fish Eye was male he could easily be mistaken for a girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair Fish Eye looks super girly. If it had not been stated that Fish Eye was male he could easily be mistaken for a girl.

That's why he had a thing for showing his man-parts.

• Locked thread