Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 593 days!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

As opposed to only getting sympathy from 30-40% of the nation even if they did everything "right".

The journalists being arrested was the big take-away so far, I think you're underestimating people's sympathies here.

I think most people are pretty shocked/pissed about the cops actions here, but all it takes is a few idiots beating up some white people to get the spin machines flying and boom, the story is now about police restoring order so (white) people are safe walk the streets again.

SirKibbles posted:

Worst post/av combo ever but it made me laugh,thanks even if was only indirectly.

I have no idea how the gently caress this avatar appeared tbh, but yeah guess it looks silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

quote:

Michael Skolnik ✔ @MichaelSkolnik
Per White House, President was briefed tonight by Senior Advisor Valerie Jarrett and Attorney General Eric Holder on situation in Ferguson.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Your Sledgehammer posted:

What's wrong with what you quoted, exactly? Makes perfect sense to me.
It isn't like noted goon reporter/future murder victim Neo Duckberg slapped the mic out of Al Sharpton's hand. He's attending a protest against police abuse, which last time I checked, is a thing people are allowed to do and not a reason to randomly assault them in the street.

I'm not up on my Tumblr though so maybe protests are cultural appropriation now.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I you listened to Rachel Maddow, I am with the reporter who just phoned in an talked to her.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Cesar Cedeno posted:

The journalists being arrested was the big take-away so far, I think you're underestimating people's sympathies here.

I think most people are pretty shocked/pissed about the cops actions here, but all it takes is a few idiots beating up some white people to get the spin machines flying and boom, the story is now about police restoring order so (white) people are safe walk the streets again.

Yeah it's ultimately self-defeating and foolish, but what do you expect. Anger is rarely rational.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
From Reddit:
Update on Assualt: 1/2)White guy with dog came around a group of teens. Dog was sniffing around area. A few teens accused white guy of being a cop. 2/2) White guy got jumped. Other residents pleaded to stop. Several police cruisers came right away, chased kids.
#Ferguson

1-https://twitter.com/RayDowns/status/499770540362448898
2-https://twitter.com/RayDowns/status/499771028101267456

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I think OP said he was half Bulgarian and half Jamaican.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It isn't like noted goon reporter/future murder victim Neo Duckberg slapped the mic out of Al Sharpton's hand. He's attending a protest against police abuse, which last time I checked, is a thing people are allowed to do and not a reason to randomly assault them in the street.

I'm not up on my Tumblr though so maybe protests are cultural appropriation now.
i was under the impression imaginary gf was a community activist who had worked in the area previously, judging by their posts

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

New Division posted:

Yeah it's ultimately self-defeating and foolish, but what do you expect. Anger is rarely rational.
And there's always a contingent of assholes who just show up to start poo poo.

Edit: They're called the cops!

Edit #2:

Nonsense posted:

Agreed they're called the St. Louis County Police.
Haha gently caress you Nonsense.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Antonio French, the alderman who's been providing the best coverage of this situation by far, is in jail.

Here is his last tweet from a few hours ago, with the police line advancing on his car.

Edit: whoops 2 pages late

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 14, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

SirKibbles posted:

The video of the protests show his hands and whatnot,could be lightskinned though so some people are assuming

I am white

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Von Sloneker posted:

CNN Internat'l, which regular CNN cuts to after midnight, is covering this now.
Not now, they're back to Gaza and the American tourist at the St. Regis in Bali whose daughter killed her and put her body in a suitcase.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And there's always a contingent of assholes who just show up to start poo poo.

Agreed they're called the St. Louis County Police.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
maybe he just has an irresistibly punchable face and race isn't involved at all

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hey guys maybe we should dress up as ghosts to scare the cops away!!!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Division posted:

I mean, I get it. I get how it happened. But man I wish it hadn't.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I think OP said he was half Bulgarian and half Jamaican.

Half white, half black, 30% latino and 12% asian.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

There's a lot of anger in the area. The police are to blame for escalating the situation, however, the Ferg PD lives in the area. Those coppers' greatest fear is that the black residents won't see them as powerful enough to resist.

What does this mean in response to what I said? That guy wasn't even the first whitey to get stomped, Duckberg got punched in the face too, and he almost got beat on last night not to mention the reporter who got the boot a few nights ago.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Can't blame the black population there for being irrationally angry, but the worst thing they could do is make this a blanket race thing.

I've seen plenty of black cops in these pictures. It's a cops vs. "civilians" (as they like to call non-cops) thing ultimately.
Right. There's a racist component to it: Michael Brown. And there's a long history of really horrid police abuse against black demos. But once the cops bring out the tear gas and batons, they'll smash everyone. Just see the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1968. The use of force here also looks to be on par with Montreal police crackdowns in the summer of 2012 (which a lot of Americans don't know about).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

i was under the impression imaginary gf was a community activist who had worked in the area previously, judging by their posts

Organizer. Worked and lived in various communities of St. Louis, all of them north of Delmar.

E:

Miltank posted:

What does this mean in response to what I said? That guy wasn't even the first whitey to get stomped, Duckberg got punched in the face too, and he almost got beat on last night not to mention the reporter who got the boot a few nights ago.

It means, the situation is in a dangerous state and could go either way right now, escalation or deescalation. It means, Duckberg's presence was only agitating the situation. I wish he'd listened last night and not gone back after sundown. It doesn't matter if he thinks this is his fight. Let me be clear: this is a racial issue. And now is not his time to speak on this racial issue. Now is the time to listen, and for the protestors to feel like they're being heard.

This dialogue goes away the minute this becomes a race riot instead of a riot. Then, god help everyone.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 14, 2014

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, I get it. I get how it happened. But man I wish it hadn't.

I know. Can't wait for the police to be hailed as "heros" for "restoring order" or whatever. I've never been this loving sick about something. I can see this happening in a third-world country, but to happen here...god.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I, for one, can't see why a white dude going into a riot that's occurring due to racial issues would be a bad idea.

What the gently caress were you thinking??

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I know. Can't wait for the police to be hailed as "heros" for "restoring order" or whatever. I've never been this loving sick about something. I can see this happening in a third-world country, but to happen here...god.

That wasn't really how the Rodney King riots were ultimately viewed. I think there's a lot of cynicism here about the outlook, when the front page of Huffington Post is talking about their reporters getting harassed and this coming on the heels of Travyon Martin and thus increased relevancy in the public's eye.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Antonio French apparently was arrested

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

PuTTY riot posted:

Beaten pretty hard on that one. Protesters in front of the station demanding his release. Still no word on charges AFAIK.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PuTTY riot posted:

hasn't he already been arrested twice today?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
AG is headed to Ferguson.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

State-wide politicians are taking notice. Jason Kander will be arriving to Ferguson in the morning.
edit:dammit you guys are fast

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Probably Magic posted:

That wasn't really how the Rodney King riots were ultimately viewed. I think there's a lot of cynicism here about the outlook, when the front page of Huffington Post is talking about their reporters getting harassed and this coming on the heels of Travyon Martin and thus increased relevancy in the public's eye.

I really hope you're right. I'm probably being more cynical since looking at it right now, it's really hard to be optimistic.

also:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
http://instagram.com/p/rpoeavJr8P/

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

same

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

AG is headed to Ferguson.

:phone: Yes hello?
:phoneb: Hi '16, this is Kander. How are you?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

That's probably why you got punched.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Probably Magic posted:

One thing I find kind of interesting is that the libertarian/conservative crowd which would normally be whole-hog in support of the police are either condemning the cops or are silent. That many are silent still says a lot. But that they've been harping on the militarization of the police (in the Obama era) and now we're seeing the full-force of that militarization deployed against unarmed demonstrators (quite predictably it's being deployed against the black population of a Middle American city), it's put them in a difficult spot. The normal narrative of an extreme crackdown to put "the animals" in their place isn't going to take as widely as it might have a few years ago.

Like you can watch right-wing blogs like Drudge Report and Breitbart and it bounced from racist paranoid to outrage at police militarization. So there's something happening here.

TubeStank posted:

I, for one, can't see why a white dude going into a riot that's occurring due to racial issues would be a bad idea.

Well, there are risks involved, of course. But it might still be worth it. He got punched. It's a violent situation.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 14, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TubeStank posted:

Probably to get us some good information and show that this isn't just about black people, I don't know.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

:phone: Yes hello?
:phoneb: Hi '16, this is Kander. How are you?
Any bets on which side he'll take? Are Missouri Dems actually worth a poo poo?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

SLPD just lobbed tear gas and rubber bullets into a peacefully protesting crowd

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

two hours old dude

Adbot