Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

People are genuinely hyped about it being in the game too which is pretty hilarious. I don't know what he doesn't want us to talk about it.

He doesn't want people calling it Next either, so who knows what's up with that dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have just been informed the Australia distributor has advised that everyone will be getting the Players Manual several days late :(

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

People are genuinely hyped about it being in the game too which is pretty hilarious. I don't know what he doesn't want us to talk about it.

You have to talk about playing it right, which means being enthusiatic about an uninspired skeleton-computerless tolkien* ripoff while pretending it's balanced, innovative, and well-written.

*Except the army of the dead part

Kai Tave posted:

He doesn't want people calling it Next either, so who knows what's up with that dude.

Gonna start calling it iD&D5.0. The i stands for innovation and it's lowercase because it's got modern design.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 14, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Every time I see a monk class with elemental powers, I want to run/play an Avatar The Last Airbender game. 5e seems so close.

It won't happen since we already had that in 4th edition and this is the don't do what that edition did edition.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

You have to talk about playing it right, which means being enthusiatic about an uninspired skeleton-computerless tolkien* ripoff while pretending it's balanced, innovative, and well-written.

*Except the army of the dead part

Gonna start calling it iD&D5.0. The i stands for innovation and it's lowercase because it's got modern design.

I'm going to call it D&D 2000ME because its going randomly crash and hard reset while doing pretty mundane things.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

I'm going to call it D&D 2000ME because its going randomly crash and hard reset while doing pretty mundane things.

I'll have you know that my copy of Windows 2000 is still working absolutely flawlessly with 0 minutes downtime since it was installed on release day.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Being slightly more serious for a moment, I'd be more appropriately excited about Next if Next did anything worth getting excited about and even the people singing its praises aren't doing so because it does anything wildly innovative or amazing but because it "returns power to the GM" or "feels like D&D." It's got a few clever bits (Advantage, the art is very nice), a lot of pointlessly regressive bits (monster design, class design, the CR system), and the rest is a slightly less chunky 3E-style D&D. What, exactly, do people want to talk about that skeletonchat is drowning out here?

For what it's worth I remember back when 4E was brand new and all anyone wanted to talk about was Blade Cascade and Sleep/Orb of Imposition.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Blade Cascade is badass.

I did more monster math, because I love monsters and hate myself.

So the Sphinx is kinda worthless, right? Like, it only does 34 DPR with a burst of 44. The Adult Red Dragon, on the other hand, does about 100 DPR, and can burst a good bit higher when it breathes on multiple targets. Oh, wait, no, my comparison is all off because the Sphinx is a loving caster with Flamestrike, so any DPR/burst DPR calculation has to stop, fish through the loving manual for the spells, figure out the DPR of that spell, then figure out how many times the monster can use it (since bump casting is a universal rule and not a PC feature) then figure out if it's ever worth it for the Sphinx to actually roar since roars 1 and 2 are lame but cost the whole turn's action.

THIS WAS AN IDENTIFIED PROBLEM IN 3E, WHY IS IS BACK?!

Oh, and at the moment every monster we have over CR 8 has notable resistances, if not immunities. Immunity to non-magical weapons being the most common. But they're totes optional.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Correct me if I'm wrong because I only ever played it briefly but wasn't one of the big improvements in 4th edition that high level monster got damage resistances instead of flat immunity to certain damage types?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Vorpal Cat posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong because I only ever played it briefly but wasn't one of the big improvements in 4th edition that high level monster got damage resistances instead of flat immunity to certain damage types?

Yeah. Especially since 3.x was so immunity-happy that many monsters were flat-out immune to entire classes. See: Immunity to Critical Hits, Freedom of Movement, etc.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Vorpal Cat posted:

The commonality of monsters having immunity to nonmagical weapons was the main reason damage reduction was introduced in 3e.

Just in case anyone was wondering if the "5e will unite the editions" rhetoric was referring to any editions other than 3e and 1e.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
To the 5E apologists: I wanted to like 5E. I like D&D. I have played it for many years. I have many fond memories of playing and want to create more.

I watched the development from the first surveys. They made me worry, especially when they were simply huge lists of spells with instructions to tick the ones you thought felt most like D&D. That was a tremendous red flag to me from the beginning, but I gave my feedback.

While I enjoyed D&D, it bothered me from the beginning (2E for me) that a third of the PHB was locked away from you if you wrote the wrong class on your character sheet. Magic could do anything, but was simultaneously restricted to the arbitrary Vancian spell format. In a system that is supposed to be anything and everything fantasy.

I later discovered BECMI, and had a secret passion for it, but my group didn't care for it. I later discovered it was because BECMI had a tighter focus and goals, and the game was designed around these goals. There are at least a few people here that like BECMI and 4E the best, and it is likely for the same reason.

3E came along and it fixed a lot of problems with 2E, while creating a whole lot more. I didn't care for it because it seemed overwrought, and there are a lot of people who share that sentiment.

Then 4E came along and was really different. I was put off at first, but people (here, I think) told me to give it a chance, and it really clicked with me. I enjoyed the fact that any character I chose got roughly the same amount of book real estate. I liked the fact that fighters could do interesting things in combat. I adored the concept of power sources, because they gave a lot of freedom to create characters with different concepts. Then I heard about reskinning and my mind was blown. You could make just about any melee skirmish sort of game. I didn't like the art.

4E was probably the game I had the least fun with, but that was because it didn't fit the format or group. It is a pity.

5E feels like a repeat of 3E to me. A lot of the old things that bothered me are back. Weird edge cases, spells with too much scope. Intraparty power imbalance. Monsters with spells that you have to look up. It is a disappointment.

I think the problem a lot of us have is that we're coming in and pointing out giant hole in the roof. Some people deny it is there. Some people say it doesn't rain where they life. Others say they have a bucket. Others smile and call it a sun roof.

This is a game that was supposed to be the "big tent", but a lot of us were left out. They're putting THAC0 back in the DMG, but doing very little to rein in casters or make fighters interesting. We were told about modules. We were told warlords would be in the PHB.

How much do you want to bet they're going to count the number of downloads of the free basic rules and call it the most successful edition of D&D ever?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh I have no doubt that they're going to PR spin the hell out of Next. This isn't me imagining Mike Mearls twirling a waxed mustache and cackling to himself, if Next doesn't get trumpeted as D&D's big comeback then they risk ceding more "hearts and minds" ground to Pathfinder and losing what momentum they've built up over the last 2.whatever years of not releasing much in the way of new product.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jigokuman posted:

We were told warlords would be in the PHB.

I won't talk about the rest of the post as you have points I agree with and disagree with but I don't feel like creating an argument out of it. This note actually is not true. They said the game would have every class that has ever been in a players handbook. We were not told when the game would have them. The Battle Master is like a warlord as well.

(Yes this is kind of stretching it but once again I prefer to be accurate.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I won't talk about the rest of the post as you have points I agree with and disagree with but I don't feel like creating an argument out of it. This note actually is not true. They said the game would have every class that has ever been in a players handbook. We were not told when the game would have them. The Battle Master is like a warlord as well.

"It will be fixed eventually" and "actually it's already fine anyway" in two consecutive sentences.

Don't ever stop.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Played my first game with the starter set last night with a fresh faced GM and 2 companions who were also brand new players. It would have been a full party of 5 but two of our players were on vacation/sick so I was playing multiple characters.

Great fun, they had a really good time. I have a good feeling about this edition.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Played my first game with the starter set last night with a fresh faced GM and 2 companions who were also brand new players. It would have been a full party of 5 but two of our players were on vacation/sick so I was playing multiple characters.

Great fun, they had a really good time. I have a good feeling about this edition.

Right on, what did you find were the best/worst parts?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

kingcom posted:

Right on, what did you find were the best/worst parts?

The only real problems the party ran into was the visualisation of ranges for combat. They were constantly asking to check ranges but that's to be expected. I think Wizards missed a trick not including some tokens and maps the way the Pathfinder Beginners Box does although I totally understand them wanting to keep costs down.

Also I gave one member the set of dice from the Pathfinder Beginner Box to use and they seemed to have been insulted by this fact, resulting in him missing every throw weapon check he made.

I think the best part was actually the group itself. We've got a good gender split with 3 gents and 3 ladies and we're all professional nerds (game developers). No one felt stupid or that it was below them, everyone just got right into it and had fun. It's a really easy set to get up and running in 5 minutes. It's a good starter set.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Winson_Paine posted:

mods change the thread title to D&D NEXT: Welcome to the Bone zone

Do this instead

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Do this instead

Okay

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I, for one, welcome our necromancer overlords.

Gonna stat up Phynaster the Necromaster when I get my own books. Fastest bone hands in the kingdom.

Also Id like to homebrew animate fossil, because that sounds awesome. T-Rex mount leading the Skelegions.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Saves on the monsters we've seen so far range from -5 (a Gray Ooze's Cha save) to +10 (a Tarrasque's Con save).

I've made a table showing monsters' chance to save against a PC caster's spell by level and save:

Here's one showing their chance to save with Disadvantage (e.g. against a Sorceror using Heighten Spell):

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 14, 2014

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Don't I know you from somewhere?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

A Catastrophe posted:

Don't I know you from somewhere?

Depends on what your real life name is...

Have we slept together?

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
No i'm, pretty sure i'm not the one you're trying to get into bed with.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

A Catastrophe posted:

No i'm, pretty sure i'm not the one you're trying to get into bed with.

Oh ho ho ho. Ok yeah I know you then based on that. Don't know who you are though.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Oh, we haven't crossed paths before- you'd remember. And this isn't the place for such things. But by all means, welcome to the thread, you said something about the starter set missing maps and tokens?

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also Id like to homebrew animate fossil, because that sounds awesome. T-Rex mount leading the Skelegions.

Is there some form of animate item spell? Because you could run the full Dresden Files gamut by animating some bronze or iron statues to fight for you. I'm aware that's just golems, but...

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Daetrin posted:

Is there some form of animate item spell? Because you could run the full Dresden Files gamut by animating some bronze or iron statues to fight for you. I'm aware that's just golems, but...

Animate Objects is a spell, but I think it's only concentration/1 minute.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Could you stop with the skeletons at this point it's starting to get really annoying.

I have wanted a fully functional overpowered (non-cleric) necromancer since one of my 2e D&D characters, and it was one of the few things that 4e could not deliver without refluffing.

This is getting me really pumped for 5e!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Spoilers Below posted:

I have wanted a fully functional overpowered (non-cleric) necromancer since one of my 2e D&D characters, and it was one of the few things that 4e could not deliver without refluffing.

This is getting me really pumped for 5e!

Take ranks in perform, become the necrodancer

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stormgale posted:

Take ranks in perform, become the necrodancer

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fact that you are saying this unironically tells me everything I need to know about your arguments. "Kind of stretching it" is not the same as "being accurate".

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

A Catastrophe posted:

Oh, we haven't crossed paths before- you'd remember. And this isn't the place for such things. But by all means, welcome to the thread, you said something about the starter set missing maps and tokens?

Yeah, I just think some cardboard characters, monsters and a few glossy paper maps wouldn't have gone amiss. Also maybe more than one character sheet per player.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
My college group's last 3.5 campaign was basically what people are describing here. I was playing a Mystic Theurge (yeah, I know) who wanted to become the next Vecna (it was an evil campaign). Anyway, this is probably totally wrong, but since I had two totally separate caster levels I convinced my DM that I could add together the HD of controllable undead from each, which works out to be way more than if you were single classed if I recall correctly. In addition to that though, as long as you tell the undead to go somewhere else, it doesn't really matter how many you can control anyway.

We started on this island with a mid-sized town on it which we destroyed in a day or two. And when someone sent a bunch of ships to stop us our deepwoods sniper thinned their numbers a bunch. After they landed and set up camp we independently discovered scry-and-die in an effort to take out their wizard.

After that, we took one of their ships, fought a Kracken, raised it, cast permanencied fly on it, and the Blackguard made that his mount.

And that's the story of how we discovered caster supremacy. The game petered out shortly after because the DM got tired of playing. I don't think anyone even mentioned trying to play 3e ever again.

---

So to keep 5e from becoming the Necromancer Show, is there anything else that's similarly broken? Obviously you need a Transmuter for making bone piles, and they seem like they can hold their own to boot (of course they can, they're wizards), but that's still only two party members. What's the 4-5 player dream team?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I haven't had time to look at much stuff since the playtest packets, and I haven't looked at much of the leaked PHB stuff. How do druids stack up so far? Do they get to summon schloads of dudes?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

So to keep 5e from becoming the Necromancer Show, is there anything else that's similarly broken? Obviously you need a Transmuter for making bone piles, and they seem like they can hold their own to boot (of course they can, they're wizards), but that's still only two party members. What's the 4-5 player dream team?

If I had to guess 3 wizards (necro, transmuter, enchantment) Warlock as fighting man, Maybe bard in last slot

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Stormgale posted:

If I had to guess 3 wizards (necro, transmuter, enchantment) Warlock as fighting man, Maybe bard in last slot

What about Druid? Someone earlier pointed out how much synergy druids had with the necrodancer.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey, look, a monster without tons of spells!

At 5th level, he can take 27 skeletons of damage. At 10th, that drops to 24 skeletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

Hey, look, a monster without tons of spells!

At 5th level, he can take 27 skeletons of damage. At 10th, that drops to 24 skeletons.
Christ that's a lot of words for a belly slam move.