Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

All praise to the glorious NCPO for restoring happiness and order.

Good boy! Here's a treat: :hampants:

But seriously, stay out of trouble, you old cad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

He was and he deserves respect for it.

That and the fact that he makes some people here soooooo angry.

e: I don't see the appeal of "Nathan for You." I get what's supposed to be funny about it, but I don't find it very funny. Is there any hope for me, Experimental D&D Chat Thread?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 14, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

jrodefeld is posting in the Michael Brown thread, score.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Just heard someone refer to the king of Thailand as "Elvis," that's my official new euphemism for him

BTW heading back to the BKK sometime in Sep/Oct

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Majorian posted:

I don't see the appeal of "Nathan for You." I get what's supposed to be funny about it, but I don't find it very funny. Is there any hope for me, Experimental D&D Chat Thread?

It's funnier if you've watched enough of the business rescue reality shows or event TV to pick up on the riffs he does on their tropes. Other than that, and the ideas which can be funny concepts, it's just cringe comedy and if you're not a fan of that you won't like the show. They lay on the discomfort very heavily, especially with the throughline of Nathan's journey to find companionship.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I dunno man season 2 is pretty drat cringey but if you don't enjoy the pig saves goat episode I think you might be a little broken

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Claw of Shame is the best intro episode I think

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gail Wynand posted:

Just heard someone refer to the king of Thailand as "Elvis," that's my official new euphemism for him
We always used The Old Man or The Old Boy, but I suspect with his inevitable leaving of the building this is nor more appropriate, heh.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gail Wynand posted:

Claw of Shame is the best intro episode I think

It's pretty great but from what I gather it's rather unlike the rest of the show.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

haveblue posted:

It's pretty great but from what I gather it's rather unlike the rest of the show.
Yeah it still has some cringeworthy interview sequences though, and the fundamental aim (skewering reality show conventions) is still the same

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

It's funnier if you've watched enough of the business rescue reality shows or event TV to pick up on the riffs he does on their tropes. Other than that, and the ideas which can be funny concepts, it's just cringe comedy and if you're not a fan of that you won't like the show. They lay on the discomfort very heavily, especially with the throughline of Nathan's journey to find companionship.

Yeah, I mean, I like the idea of skewering reality shows, particularly business rescue ones that don't do anything of significant value to the businesses. I guess what makes it tougher for me to get through is that I don't like people who genuinely need help and are trying their best getting laughed at. It's one thing when it's Borat showing how racist or ignorant a lot of Americans are; it's another when it's people who I would normally be rooting for. But I'll give it another shot later today, and try to get in the right state of mind beforehand or whatever. (yaaaay bourbon)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Warszawa are you still doing the duolingo thing for Portuguese? I'm in the later parts now and it's finicky as gently caress. Não gosto disso não.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think the show goes too far with its victims sometimes, particularly in a recent episode where he had a mall Santa tell very young children that they were babies if they didn't own a particular toy as part of a business plan to boost sales of that toy. The episode from the first season where he gets mad at a cab driver for not memorizing marine biology trivia also wasn't great.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I found Silicon Valley to be disturbingly accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vfXoUNDYA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah also the hand job math.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Dreylad posted:

a friend of mine recently started working at an app start-up and even through all her relentless optimism and denial, it sounds pretty horrible. it was a two-man deal when she came on, with one guy being The Money and one guy being Actually Useful and it's all falling apart already. the Money keeps making promises to customers they can't keep, skips meetings at random, doesn't actually know the value of money and fucks everything up. like how they're getting a visit from a process server this week because they ended their contract with a particular company a year ago... but they forgot to actually tell that company and now they own like a lot of money. or how they forgot to extend their application for subsidies and now have to pretend like the application got lost in the mail or go bankrupt. now they're even borrowing money from another start-up those two guys are involved with, just to stay afloat.

they'll probably be bankrupt in less than a year (their app is kinda rubbish anyway) and my friend will have learned a lot about "making do" and "committing borderline-fraud" - or as it's called on your cv "creative problem solving"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dreylad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vfXoUNDYA

Such a good show. I'm glad Kumail Nanjiani is getting so much exposure nowadays. It sucks that Christopher Evan Welch, who played Peter Gregory, is dead, though, because he was the funniest character on the show.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I hope the approaching tech bust destroys the California economy and plunges us into a new dark ages so I can laugh in the face of every credulous "is coding the new literacy???" fadster dipshit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anything that makes Justine Tunney sad makes me happy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Badger of Basra posted:

Warszawa are you still doing the duolingo thing for Portuguese? I'm in the later parts now and it's finicky as gently caress. Não gosto disso não.

The Duolingo model doesn't really work for the more advanced/tricky parts of a language. You really need something to actually explain to you how things work. I can't say I've used it except as a toy though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Duolingo model doesn't really work for the more advanced/tricky parts of a language. You really need something to actually explain to you how things work. I can't say I've used it except as a toy though.

Yeah I already know Portuguese and was kinda doing it just to say I did but I can't deal with this.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Such a good show. I'm glad Kumail Nanjiani is getting so much exposure nowadays. It sucks that Christopher Evan Welch, who played Peter Gregory, is dead, though, because he was the funniest character on the show.
Whaaaaaaat? Goddammit. That sucks.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

you used to be able to start new threads in D&D too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656583 :shrug:

I thought about adding more sections trying to solicit more international participation and making a new bit about how at the very least you could sign up with your local government to be able to help prevent your town from becoming a hole in the ground in the event of an emergency but I don't think I ever saw a thread in D&D in the past 10 years that just got -no- response.

The thought crossed my mind that goons just don't want to talk about things they could actually affect change in but I decided maybe my thread was just bad anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh gently caress someone started a circumcision thread.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

paranoid randroid posted:

I hope the approaching tech bust destroys the California economy and plunges us into a new dark ages so I can laugh in the face of every credulous "is coding the new literacy???" fadster dipshit.

Makes me glad I have a background in chemistry. If all else fails I'll still be able to blow something up. :getin:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

zoux posted:

So D&D has finally progressed from navel gazing while at a circlejerk to actively sucking itself off while trying to bite off its own dick?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

zoux posted:

Truly we will get to the bottom of this once and for all!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nutranurse posted:

So D&D has finally progressed from navel gazing while at a circlejerk to actively sucking itself off while trying to bite off its own dick?

still unable to have a feminist thread without massive trolling so it's kinda fitting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are 911 users browsing D&D right now :911:

Anyone tell me why the MOnsanto thread is brown rated?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

Yeah, thanks, a-hole - it's not like there are some of us in CA who aren't techie scum.:argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Majorian posted:

Yeah, thanks, a-hole - it's not like there are some of us in CA who aren't techie scum.:argh:

Hmmm your from California? I had no idea of that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

zoux posted:

There are 911 users browsing D&D right now :911:

Anyone tell me why the MOnsanto thread is brown rated?

Farms tend to have dirt.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

Hmmm your from California? I had no idea of that.

Hey, someone's gotta stand up for the non-techie, non-Hollywood parts of the state when the rest of you are all butthurt about living in Bumfucklesburg, Oklahoma or whatever.:smuggo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Farms tend to have dirt.

http://instantostrich.com/

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Majorian posted:

Hey, someone's gotta stand up for the non-techie, non-Hollywood parts of the state when the rest of you are all butthurt about living in Bumfucklesburg, Oklahoma or whatever.:smuggo:

The non-techni/non-hollywood parts basically ARE bumfucklesburg Oklahoma, except for the ones that are the Hamptons

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Majorian posted:

You're in Napa right? I have family there.

They're terrible people.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

THS posted:

also there was too much anime

Impossible.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

To honest I just thought of a better joke that incorporates fertilizer and shitposting, but you get what you get.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

People often complain that there are too many megathreads in D&D so I've been joking that it's against the rules to start new threads.

Also, I used to get at least one PM a week asking if it was OK for someone to post a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

XyloJW posted:

You're in Napa right? I have family there.

They're terrible people.

I'm in Santa Barbara now, but I am from Napa. There are definitely some terrible people that live there. Do your relatives work in the wine biz?

• Locked thread