Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think something like The Walking Dead doesn't really count. Sure, you aren't playing that for the gameplay, but it isn't a case of the story keeping bad gameplay afloat - the gameplay, what little there is, exists to support the story. That was the design from the outset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Void and Pandemic, which don't so much have weak gameplay as purposefully un-fun gameplay.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Void and Pandemic, which don't so much have weak gameplay as purposefully un-fun gameplay.

Pathologic.

I'd say Amnesia: Machine for Pigs. Again, not an RPG, but it seems that despite being a story-heavy genre, their stories are rarely as good as the mechanics present.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rascyc posted:

Anyway my question is: how many games can you think of the later category?

Persona 4.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

alcharagia posted:

Persona 4.

Ooh, how did I forget about that? Yeah, Person 4 has gameplay that's essentially identical to its predecessor, with copy-paste dungeons that change nothing but the enemies and backgrounds, and combat which doesn't really change much as you progress through the game. But the plot is solid (well, as long as you aren't one of those 'ugh too anime' types), with good characters and a mystery to solve. It's the last part of the game, when the story is all wrapped up and there's one final dungeon to do, where things feeling lag.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Rascyc posted:

I guess Mother 3 to some extent? The gameplay wasn't really bad as much as it was uninspiring and to be hones I thought Earthbound's combat was better (the addition of the rhythm system didn't make up for the slower hp rolling meters which I felt removed a lot of the tension in combat). I guess BoF DQ might count for this as well? A lot of people were turned off by the unforgiving nature of the gameplay, but once you adjust to it, it's quite good and the story was what kept me going until the combat clicked for me.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Morpheus posted:

Pathologic.

I'd say Amnesia: Machine for Pigs. Again, not an RPG, but it seems that despite being a story-heavy genre, their stories are rarely as good as the mechanics present.

Don't post distracted, folks!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The original Drakengard.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

alcharagia posted:

The original Drakengard.
Ahahaha, how did I forget this. Time to take my yearly break from life to read the Drakengard LP again

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Someone recently brought up a topic in a random thread of gameplay keeping crappy stories afloat being much more common than good stories keeping weak gameplay afloat. I also believed the former is much more true than the later, but I can't see how anyone can disagree with this.

What brought me back to this topic was a recent conversation with a friend about Radiant Historia. This was a game that I thought had fairly weak gameplay but the story/characters really kept the game afloat from beginning to end. It wasn't unplayable gameplay, it just wasn't anything I found interesting enough to be fun for hours.

Planescape: Torment.

It's not unplayably bad by any means but it probably has the worst and most annoying gameplay of any Infinity Engine game. It's telling when you'd rather be poring through dialogue trees than killing mans.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hate combat in Fallout. It's slow, clunky, and too simplistic. Any game where a 30 second battle devolves into 5-10 minutes because you have to wait for everything to go (Septerra Core, I'm looking at you) is not a well designed game. Brotherhood of Steel sped things up and gave it more variety but that was a strategy/action game than a traditional RPG.

Snackula posted:

This is obviously highly subjective and probably won't go over too well in the RPG thread but I usually only play JRPGs in spite of their godawful battle systems. That doesn't mean I play them entirely for the plot, it's more like I enjoy running around in a world of softserve anime tropes listening to some chill tunes after work (the plot is usually stupid too). Like they basically fill a soap opera type niche for me I guess.

Nah, I'm in the same camp. I'll play a generic RPG because sometimes I just like having noise or maybe I find genre cliches endearing at times.

Morpheus posted:

Ooh, how did I forget about that? Yeah, Person 4 has gameplay that's essentially identical to its predecessor, with copy-paste dungeons that change nothing but the enemies and backgrounds, and combat which doesn't really change much as you progress through the game. But the plot is solid (well, as long as you aren't one of those 'ugh too anime' types), with good characters and a mystery to solve. It's the last part of the game, when the story is all wrapped up and there's one final dungeon to do, where things feeling lag.

Compared to the rest of the Persona series, Persona 4 is heads and tails better in the gameplay department.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 14, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

al-azad posted:

Compared to the rest of the Persona series, Persona 4 is heads and tails better in the gameplay department.

this really isn't saying much

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The first Persona was the first RPG that was so hard and tedious it made me literally angry. Like Ninja Gaiden bird out of nowhere angry. But it had something that compelled me to come back to it after about a month and it became something I really enjoyed, especially since I learned to abuse the gently caress out of the experience system to level my protagonist, which was good for all the parts when you have a party of just you and one other person.

On the other hand, Persona 2's gameplay bored me so badly I couldn't finish it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Rascyc posted:

Someone recently brought up a topic in a random thread of gameplay keeping crappy stories afloat being much more common than good stories keeping weak gameplay afloat. I also believed the former is much more true than the later, but I can't see how anyone can disagree with this.

What brought me back to this topic was a recent conversation with a friend about Radiant Historia. This was a game that I thought had fairly weak gameplay but the story/characters really kept the game afloat from beginning to end. It wasn't unplayable gameplay, it just wasn't anything I found interesting enough to be fun for hours.

Lots. I thought Lunar had especially terrible awful battles but I don't regret playing through it and I've actually been thinking about replaying it. Even with the best Final Fantasy battle systems, don't you find they get really repetitive and unfun after a few hours? In FFX, you face the same monster types over and over and have to use the same strategies against them, how can that possibly still be fun? It's not to me but it's still my favorite FF. Xenogears is one of my favorite games but the battles were very repetitive. I never looked forward to battles. The best part of the game to me by far is the 2nd disc without all the boring dungeons.

I'm playing Xenoblade right now and I'm really not digging the gameplay. For starters, the voices during the battle are incredibly annoying. The AI is terrible. I have to take over the role of the healer during boss fights because the healer doesn't seem to know how to consistently heal people. Every battle in the game seems to be just two battle scenarios. Either I get in a battle and get immediately slaughtered, or else they're too easy and don't require any thought, so I'm just going through the motions and it's a chore to get through to explore the world. That said, I am still enjoying XenoBlade. I love the atmosphere and find the world engrossing.

Snackula posted:

This is obviously highly subjective and probably won't go over too well in the RPG thread but I usually only play JRPGs in spite of their godawful battle systems. That doesn't mean I play them entirely for the plot, it's more like I enjoy running around in a world of softserve anime tropes listening to some chill tunes after work (the plot is usually stupid too). Like they basically fill a soap opera type niche for me I guess.

Same here. The only battle system I think I could tolerate if the rest of the game was uninteresting would be Chrono Trigger. Combining techs was fun.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 14, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think I was participating in the conversation you mentioned. My general feeling is that a good story can keep average or unexceptional gameplay afloat but almost nothing can keep genuinely bad gameplay afloat.

The closest I can think of are games which are kind of objectively bad but in a fun way. Like, Final Fantasy 6's mechanics on paper are a total mess. Some characters are badly designed, basic mechanics don't work in certain versions of the game, it's glitchy as gently caress, insanely easy, and has a whole host of problems. Despite that it's broken and badly designed in a way that is just interesting enough for the fun worldsetting and characters to carry it through.

But poo poo which is just tedious or unenjoyable? Yeah, no amount of likable plot can save that.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 4, 2018

J
Jun 10, 2001

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I'm playing Xenoblade right now and I'm really not digging the gameplay. For starters, the voices during the battle are incredibly annoying. The AI is terrible. I have to take over the role of the healer during boss fights because the healer doesn't seem to know how to consistently heal people. Every battle in the game seems to be just two battle scenarios. Either I get in a battle and get immediately slaughtered, or else they're too easy and don't require any thought, so I'm just going through the motions and it's a chore to get through to explore the world. That said, I am still enjoying XenoBlade. I love the atmosphere and find the world engrossing.

Same here. The only battle system I think I could tolerate if the rest of the game was uninteresting would be Chrono Trigger. Combining techs was fun.

Try ditching your healer, especially if it's Sharla. You don't need to follow a tank/dps/healer paradigm in that game at all. It will probably be more fun since you'll plow through easy battles faster, and the difficult battles will be more interesting as you learn to avoid damage through toppling and chain attacks and such.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Super Ninja Fish posted:

As said, ditching Sharla if you use it is a good move. She's honestly the dullest character in the game.

The combat system really won't get better. The gameplay made me drop Xenoblade about 10-12 hours in and I have no desire to pick it up again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ImpAtom posted:

I think I was participating in the conversation you mentioned. My general feeling is that a good story can keep average or unexceptional gameplay afloat but almost nothing can keep genuinely bad gameplay afloat.

The closest I can think of are games which are kind of objectively bad but in a fun way. Like, Final Fantasy 6's mechanics on paper are a total mess. Some characters are badly designed, basic mechanics don't work in certain versions of the game, it's glitchy as gently caress, insanely easy, and has a whole host of problems. Despite that it's broken and badly designed in a way that is just interesting enough for the fun worldsetting and characters to carry it through.

But poo poo which is just tedious or unenjoyable? Yeah, no amount of likable plot can save that.
I think you can get away with tedious and unenjoyable gameplay aspects if it's only part of the gameplay and most of the rest is better. The combat and chase QTEs in Deadly Premonition were awful and I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually defend them, but just exploring Greendale and driving around (once you got a better car) were enjoyable enough to make you slog through the bad parts.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

J posted:

Try ditching your healer, especially if it's Sharla. You don't need to follow a tank/dps/healer paradigm in that game at all. It will probably be more fun since you'll plow through easy battles faster, and the difficult battles will be more interesting as you learn to avoid damage through toppling and chain attacks and such.

I usually don't use Sharla except for the bosses. For them light heal isn't enough a lot of the time. I'll come real close to beating them and die, then I'll load my save back, put in Sharla, and just do nothing but heal with her until the battle is over. Fun.

How is Melia? I've barely used her because she has such low HP.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I usually don't use Sharla except for the bosses. For them light heal isn't enough a lot of the time. I'll come real close to beating them and die, then I'll load my save back, put in Sharla, and just do nothing but heal with her until the battle is over. Fun.

How is Melia? I've barely used her because she has such low HP.

When you're not using Sharla, most of your healing should come from chain attacks. Link the skill that heals the party after a chain attack to each party member, then focus on building the party gauge as fast as you can to launch chain attack after chain attack. Light Heal should never be your primary method of healing, but rather something to supplement the healing you get from chain attacks. If you get it down, you'll find that there aren't any storyline bosses that you actually need Sharla's healing for, and maybe only one or two side bosses that you'll need her for.

Melia's pretty average unless you control her, in which case she becomes an awesome glass cannon character. Her lightning spell is devastating, and Starlight Kick can topple enemies instantly. She's pretty good. There's no penalty at all for falling in battle, so try out some new combinations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm playing Xenoblade for the first time too, and I'm really loving it a lot. It's like Final Fantasy XII with more respect for the player's time.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Wendell posted:

I'm playing Xenoblade for the first time too, and I'm really loving it a lot. It's like Final Fantasy XII with more respect for the player's time.

I misread this as Xenogears. No, the game only gets better over time.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 15, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wendell posted:

Oh you poor sweet innocent soul :allears:. Xenoblade has a 75-hour playtime. Minimum.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Wendell posted:

I dunno, the enemies being buckets of HP that do piddly damage didn't strike me as having respect for yout time, but I'm one of the few (apparently) who couldn't get into Xenoblade.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh you poor sweet innocent soul :allears:. Xenoblade has a 75-hour playtime. Minimum.

Hmm...so if I'm gonna drop $50 at Gamestop for a Wii game, between Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade, would I be better of skipping Xenoblade, despite the huge hype?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hmm...so if I'm gonna drop $50 at Gamestop for a Wii game, between Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade, would I be better of skipping Xenoblade, despite the huge hype?

If you can get the Trilogy for less than 100 bucks I'd get that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
If you can get Xenoblade for fifty fuckin' clams, holy poo poo, buy it. Gamestop actually price gouged it by selling their new copies used at like one and a half times the list price because they knew they had an exclusive distribution contract and that it was a cult title with a limited printing. Cocks.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I had an absolute blast with Xenoblade the entire 120 hours I played it. If the combat sits well with you it's an amazing game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Xenoblade is decent? I would have been onboard with the idea of having a bunch of pretty wide open areas to explore combined with some single player mmo combat, but then the game started bringing in a bunch of stupid things that shouldn't be in a single player game, like boring mmo quests (yes you can autocomplete them but they are still boring) and those drat agility penalties based on level differences. Also later in the game the areas stayed huge but got linear, which was tedious. I enjoyed playing it overall I guess, but I can't see myself playing it again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

If you can get Xenoblade for fifty fuckin' clams, holy poo poo, buy it. Gamestop actually price gouged it by selling their new copies used at like one and a half times the list price because they knew they had an exclusive distribution contract and that it was a cult title with a limited printing. Cocks.

Apparently they reprinted Xenoblade and Metro Prime Trilogy because people noted that new copies are in the cheapo recyclable cases that became the standard in the past 2-3 years. Both games are relatively common now but you're still going to pay $40+ for each.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

"I can't see myself playing through a 120 hour RPG again." The ultimate insult.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wendell posted:

"I can't see myself playing through a 120 hour RPG again." The ultimate insult.

You underestimate just how little I have going on in my life.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

al-azad posted:

Apparently they reprinted Xenoblade and Metro Prime Trilogy because people noted that new copies are in the cheapo recyclable cases that became the standard in the past 2-3 years. Both games are relatively common now but you're still going to pay $40+ for each.

Well in that case get both eventually, they're both great.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Any good suggestions on RPGs that would appeal to fans of the Shadow Hearts series?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

oriongates posted:

Any good suggestions on RPGs that would appeal to fans of the Shadow Hearts series?

Lost Odyssey has a lot of shared DNA with Shadow Hearts, you could check that out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something worth noting about Xenoblade, that I really loved, is the game doesn't drag you ever onwards to the next plot point the whole way through. Every now and then there's a big "let's take a break here for the night (Psst, hey, Player, if you want to backtrack/wander around and do some sidequests, here's a good time to do so :ssh:)" moment to break up the pace.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Lost Odyssey has a lot of shared DNA with Shadow Hearts, you could check that out.

Yeah, a bunch of people wound up at Mistwalker, there's a sooomewhat similar battle ring mechanic and a lot of NPCs have naming conventions like SH did.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Just checked it out, it sounds interesting but an Xbox exclusive, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I booted up Star Ocean 4 for a bit and had blast. I've always really liked how those games played, why do the characters have to be so drat terrible?

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 17, 2014