Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barry Foster posted:

I don't actually remember DT doing that, though. He was pretty much DT from the start.

Barcelona! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Where was I..

Timby posted:

Barcelona! :haw:

He looked so different too! Cleaner? I think he was unshaven and all fresh lookin'

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Although he spent his first full (christmas)episode either asleep or not entirely knowing what kind of Doctor he would be.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I gotta admit I laughed at the placeholder classic Star Trek beaming sound effect followed by the most hilariously unfinished shot of Rusty self detonating. I work in post production and this poo poo is always fascinating.

But holy poo poo that transition from Capaldi putting the wires together to the mind meld. That's some good rear end editing.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

That may well be the case - there's precedent in Moffat's run, at least. Matt Smith was doing a pretty overt Tennant impression in his first episode, and was certainly playing it completely differently by The Beast Below.

The weird thing is that those episodes were shot out of sequence. The Eleventh Hour, for example, was the fifth full episode that Smith shot. If he came off as Tennant-ish, it certainly wasn't because he hadn't "found" the character yet.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

qntm posted:

The weird thing is that those episodes were shot out of sequence. The Eleventh Hour, for example, was the fifth full episode that Smith shot. If he came off as Tennant-ish, it certainly wasn't because he hadn't "found" the character yet.

Yeah, exactly, it was pretty obviously a conscious decision on his/Moffat's/the director's part. Which is cool - I really like the idea of a weird transitional phase, it's sort of a nice mini-tribute to the preceding Doctor and also serves to ease the audience into the new one.

See also Castrovalva, where Peter Davison does his best Hartnell, Troughton and Baker impressions.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, exactly, it was pretty obviously a conscious decision on his/Moffat's/the director's part. Which is cool - I really like the idea of a weird transitional phase, it's sort of a nice mini-tribute to the preceding Doctor and also serves to ease the audience into the new one.

See also Castrovalva, where Peter Davison does his best Hartnell, Troughton and Baker impressions.

Just like with Matt putting on his outfit signifying that he was finally "the Eleventh Doctor" in TEH, I'd say that moment for Capaldi is him pouring a drink for the Half Faced Man in DB.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Barry Foster posted:

I like the idea of the regeneration first changing the physical, but taking time for the new personality to gel.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
What I really like is that I'm starting to see plenty of that Capaldi snark I'm so fond of. :woop:

Bonus point for Clara actually having some characterization now, plus Coleman's putting on a good show.

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 14, 2014

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Based entirely on the leaked episode 2, Capaldi is going to be the best Doctor since T. Baker.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Varance posted:

What I really like is that I'm starting to see plenty of that Capaldi snark I'm so fond of. :woop:

Malcolm: You're not a young woman anymore
Nicola: Yes, I am
Malcolm: Well, you don't look it
Nicola: I do look it!
Malcolm: Oh that's right! Keep your spirits up!

I think Capaldi will be really good for Clara. If they continue down this snarky/no BS kind of Doctor road with him, Clara would be pretty important in actually keeping him in check and doing what he can't or won't do. With the last 3 with some exceptions here and there, we were always told the Doctor needed a companion with him to stop him from sort of losing the plot or from becoming less human or however you want to put it. But we never really saw that, so often it felt like if the companion wasn't there the Doctor would probably make all the same choices and be no different (as I say, with a few exceptions). But this time, it feels like there might be a lot more to that line about Clara being his carer so he doesn't have to. Even with her there it could be a battle to keep the Doctor on the straight and narrow, whereas before it seemed all that required was a companion simply being in the same room.

Of course that's all based on almost nothing and it might not go that way at all. But I hope that this means that now Clara's impossible girl story is over and with a vastly different Doctor she'll get to really shine.

Although at the same time, now I actually sort of want River to come back and try flirting with 12, that would not go down well at all from a Doctor that couldn't even hug someone.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Varance posted:

Are you saying we do get Malcom Tucker, Timelord, even just a little bit?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

e X posted:

Are you saying we do get Malcom Tucker, Timelord, even just a little bit?
Yes. The essence is there.

Doctor: "This is gun girl, she's got a gun and she's a girl. This is sort of a boss man. Is this the same one as before? I think he's probably her uncle but I may have made that up to pass the time while they were talking. This is Clara. Not my assistant. She's a some other word."
Clara: "I'm his carer."
Doctor: "Yeah. My carer. She cares so that I don't have ta."

Clara: "How do I look?"
Doctor: "Sort of short and roundish but with a good personality which is the main thing."
Clara: "I meant my clothes. I just changed."
Doctor: "Oh, good for you, still making an effort."

Just imagine Malcolm Tucker delivering The Doctor's lines for maximum effect. And Clara is a pissed off former girlfriend that still chums around with her ex and is happy to put him in his place when needed.

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 14, 2014

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Barry Foster posted:

That may well be the case - there's precedent in Moffat's run, at least. Matt Smith was doing a pretty overt Tennant impression in his first episode, and was certainly playing it completely differently by The Beast Below.

I don't actually remember DT doing that, though. He was pretty much DT from the start.

He was in a coma for quite a while, perhaps his regeneration was smoother because he was able to rest.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Definitely getting "not quite over it ex" vibes from The Doctor in this episode. Amazingly it actually seems to go pretty well.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Varance posted:

Yes. The essence is there.

Doctor: "This is gun girl, she's got a gun and she's a girl. This is sort of a boss man. Is this the same one as before? I think he's probably her uncle but I may have made that up to pass the time while they were talking. This is Clara. Not my assistant. She's a some other word."
Clara: "I'm his carer."
Doctor: "Yeah. My carer. She cares so that I don't have ta."

Clara: "How do I look?"
Doctor: "Sort of short and roundish but with a good personality which is the main thing."
Clara: "I meant my clothes. I just changed."
Doctor: "Oh, good for you, still making an effort."

Just imagine Malcolm Tucker delivering The Doctor's lines for maximum effect. And Clara is a pissed off former girlfriend that still chums around with her ex and is happy to put him in his place when needed.

Back when the scripts first leaked, a lot of these lines just seemed so Smith to me. Really easy to imagine with that sort of flippant upward inflectio and stop-start thing he does. But having watched the leak it's clear Capaldi's made it his own. They come off as a lot more abrasive, dismissive, and contemptuous than they would coming from Smith. Also, the Soldier thing some people have brought up isn't so weird. He's fine with Soldiers when it's a paramilitary he's been part of (UNIT) but that hypocrisy is baked into the relaunched Who and probably actually makes some sense as he's all hosed up inside from the Time War what with his emotions and all.

ALthough really, it just seems like a lazy way to set up drama with Danny once he comes aboard.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Republican Vampire posted:

Back when the scripts first leaked, a lot of these lines just seemed so Smith to me. Really easy to imagine with that sort of flippant upward inflectio and stop-start thing he does. But having watched the leak it's clear Capaldi's made it his own. They come off as a lot more abrasive, dismissive, and contemptuous than they would coming from Smith. Also, the Soldier thing some people have brought up isn't so weird. He's fine with Soldiers when it's a paramilitary he's been part of (UNIT) but that hypocrisy is baked into the relaunched Who and probably actually makes some sense as he's all hosed up inside from the Time War what with his emotions and all.

ALthough really, it just seems like a lazy way to set up drama with Danny once he comes aboard.

We already know he'll get Cyberman-ed at some point from set photos, so there's not much to that story line. Except maybe for Clara to become a bit of a bitter bitch when that eventually happens, slapping The Doctor every time she gets the opportunity. :v:

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 15, 2014

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The question is: Will he go full cyberman or be saved something something hackneyed metaphor something something?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

The question is: Will he go full cyberman or be saved something something hackneyed metaphor something something?

Knowing Moffat, he'll probably die and end up in "heaven" with Missy, right before the episode that directly deals with Missy.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The cyberman two parter where he gets cyberized is the story that deals with Missy. It's the final two-parter. Though it's ambiguous as to what side she's on in the story since the set photos show her by the Doctor's side a lot.

e: Plus, Moffat has saved a love interest from being an inhuman monster with something something metaphor emotive language something something before. ANd if there's one thing Moffat loves, it's clumsily re-using something that worked before in a clunky way that fails to have the same emotional resonance.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 15, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I've only skim read the first script and watched a couple bits of the first episode, but is he an unrepentant arsehole 100% of the time? Even the grumpy Doctors like Hartnell or Eccleston were usually relatively outgoing, kind and friendly.

I always said that 'Malcolm Tucker in time and space' would be a really lazy direction to go in, and I hope that's not completely the case.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

I've only skim read the first script and watched a couple bits of the first episode, but is he an unrepentant arsehole 100% of the time? Even the grumpy Doctors like Hartnell or Eccleston were usually relatively outgoing, kind and friendly.

I always said that 'Malcolm Tucker in time and space' would be a really lazy direction to go in, and I hope that's not completely the case.

Nah, he's not. There's plenty of sarcastic tone in Capaldi's delivery, but some of it is more playful than rear end in a top hat. That, and you can tell The Doctor is a little heartbroken over what's happening with his relationship with Clara, post-regeneration.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

The second episode has a great moment where he asks Clara if he is a good man. He definitely wants to be, but has a shorter temper. Even his putdowns of Clara throughout the episode are presented in the way of him trying to encourage her.

The lines quoted above about boss man and gun girl are a good example. With Matt Smith, the lines would have seemed friendly, with Capaldi they seem dismissive. Without having read any of the scripts, the impression I got from the second episode is that in the Doctors head he is still acting the same as he did pre-regeneration, and doesn't quite get why people are suddenly reacting differently to him.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So according to the AV Club, this fan-made opening credit sequence is apparently what the actual 8th season credits will be based on, because Moffat liked it so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOBHnWiinY

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's so loving derivative. All of time and space represented by some loving clocks and poo poo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'll just be happy if they get rid of that flying into the open TARDIS doors thing from the end, I don't know why it bugs me so much but it does every single time.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is the real S8 title sequence:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2333kl_doctor-who-series-8-official-title-sequence_shortfilms

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

It looks like an Inspector Spacetime intro.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I guess it's a bit better than the fan made one in some regards except they managed to make the clock face/tunnel look like poo poo in it - especially when the TARDIS moves through it.

Whatever, its still more like an Inspector Spacetime opening or some spoof derivative poo poo than Doctor Who.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the use of Capaldi's death-glare rather than his entire face (especially one doing the creepy Colin Baker smile-morph) but other than that I probably liked the fan one better.

Though the people exclaiming "Brilliant!" and "Oh my God!" at the sight of Peter Capaldi's name were funny. I mean it's not like that could have possibly been expected in any way!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tumblrites are easily amused.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tumblrites are easily amused.

How else would Doctor Who have lasted through the RTD years?

-------

I watched the pre-screener episodes and I've got to be honest, I don't know what some of y'all are seeing in it. Yeah Capaldi is working his rear end off like his career depends on it, and Coleman is upping her game to match him, but I'm not seeing the whole "they managed to save these lovely scripts in execution" that you guys are. They're still weak-rear end scripts and the episodes are still weak as all poo poo to my eyes, although granted I'll take this kind of weak poo poo to RTD's weak poo poo any day.

Then again I do really like how they're evolving the Clara/Doctor dynamic now that he's too old to play himself off as her boyfriend, although I still don't get this whole "The Doctor was always flirting with Clara" motif they've hit upon for his characterization. The Series 7 I saw had the Doctor fascinated by Clara because she was the Impossible Girl and gave him a mystery and purpose after losing Amy and Rory, and while he did do the whole "I'm her boyfriend" schtick later on in the series I never got the impression he was actually into it beyond messing with Clara especially since we've had not one, not two, not three, but four series of Tennant showing us what a flirtatious Doctor really looks like. Oh well, even with that digression not making much organic sense to me there's no denying that the Clara/Doctor interplay is easily the best part of these new episodes--again because both actors are visibly pulling triple shifts to nail every mediocre exchange they're given. I will also say that the creepier elements like flesh-face and Dalek protein came across less gross in the actual episodes, although they're still quite bad in concept.

The Dalek episode was definitely the better of the two. The first one had me bored stiff much of the time and I found the villains immensely derivative and forgettable attempts at second-rate body horror. "Don't breathe." OOH NEVER HEARD SOMETHING LIKE THAT IN DOCTOR WHO NO SIREE BOB. The interminable scenes of Capaldi trying to figure out who he was, coupled with his breathless whispers, really grated on me. At least in the Dalek episode there was more of a rhythm to everything. I also very much like the actor playing Danny, who totally sold the role as-written and actually made exposition like "he's a ladykiller" work since it confirmed what we had already seen of the character coupled with a new dimension with how he reacts to such a label.

Ultimately I don't mean to bitch because I want to poo poo on other people's opinions, but I can't help but share what I've thought because in spite of myself I do care an awful lot about this stupid space wizard and his magical adventures with pretty young things, and all my bitching is because I think the actors are worthy of much better material than they've been given so far. I still want to see where the season goes, even if I'm not optimistic.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

I liked the use of Capaldi's death-glare rather than his entire face (especially one doing the creepy Colin Baker smile-morph) but other than that I probably liked the fan one better.

They're both pretty terrible though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the Doctor Clara relationship stuff was from the Season 8 that never was, an entire season that would have actually built to Time of the Doctor, instead of just being crammed into Time of the Doctor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

I think the Doctor Clara relationship stuff was from the Season 8 that never was, an entire season that would have actually built to Time of the Doctor, instead of just being crammed into Time of the Doctor.

Almost definitely. Then Matt Smith found out that doing one more season and a Christmas special meant skipping nearly an entire year to air in August due to Moffat being poo poo at budgets so he hosed off a season earlier than anyone expected.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man this episode is bad. Proof that good actors can hoodwink a lot of people into enjoying a terrible script - Capaldi and Coleman really are rocking it, it's just that "it" is awful. And seriously this is just such a gigantic waste of Ben Wheatley. I guess it's better than Deep Breath overall though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is a marked improvement over Deep Breath, in the same fashion that a D is a marked improvement over an F.

I'm not going to ask the nerdier things, like why radiation would make a Dalek go KILL ALL DALEKS, when they're RADIOACTIVE MUTANTS TO BEGIN WITH- I'm not going to point out that the self destruction that ole Rusty used at the end, which was the (exact) same one from Dalek, does not do damage to its surroundings what so ever and thus the Dalek ship should be fine-maybe the actual animation will fix that who knows- I'm not going to ask why they didn't have the same shrinking tech as the time agents because gently caress that rabbit hole.

I'm going to ask one single narrative question that unravels this whole adventure.

What good is a 'good Dalek'? How does it change anything?

Are you going to mind link with all Daleks everywhere? That the game plan?

Because you know, Doctor, there have been GOOD DALEKS before now.

There's, oh, say, the Dalek from Dalek, infected with humanity.

There's Dalek Sec who realized the futility of what they were doing.

There's Dalek Caan who also realized what the Daleks were

And what was that again, something about...THE ORIGINAL DALEKS INFUSED WITH THE HUMAN FACTOR WHO WERE PLAYFUL AND QUESTIONED THINGS

Off of the top of my head, I could recall four Good Daleks. The Doctor can't seem to remember a loving one.

Fun fact, of those four?

Three out right tried to murder the entire Dalek race, in one fashion or another, and Sec compromised by just trying to change what a Dalek WAS on a fundamental level, destroying what they were.

How the HELL is the Doctor so shocked that yet another Dalek with morality realized, holy poo poo, Daleks are pure loving evil, I should kill them!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Moffat's inability to tell a new story starts to infect other writers. It's so ridiculously easy to see which three episodes this was based off that's it's almost embarrassing for all involved.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Moffat's inability to tell a new story starts to infect other writers. It's so ridiculously easy to see which three episodes this was based off that's it's almost embarrassing for all involved.

To be fair, when he tried to write a fresh story he wrote Listen, which is the worst of the bunch as far as the leaked scripts are concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Not sure if the other thread is covering casting news, but Clara is apparently out at Christmas. Or so the rumor goes anyways.

• Locked thread