Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

memento mori posted:

So I'm playing through bg1 and I level up viconia with a proficiency in flail/morning star. Turns out she doesn't have the strength for these weapons. If I was playing on my computer I'd just use a save editor but I'm playing on my phone. Are there any items I can go find that boost strength a couple points? I think she is short 2...

She needs +1 STR for Morning Stars and +3 for Flails. Best bet in BG1 is the Gauntlets of Ogre Power (18/00 STR) which you can loot off Desreta at the Low Lantern in the Baldur's Gate Docks area. Before that you can get a lot of mileage by just casting the Wizard Spell Strength on her (or having her drink potions).

Or you can Shadowkeeper her proficiencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

DeathChicken posted:

Don't the ogres guarding the bridge on the way to the Gnoll Fort drop something like that too?

Those guys drop the gauntlets that set your dexterity to 18.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

amanasleep posted:

The powergamer F->T dual is Wizard Slayer->Thief because UAI removes all of the Wizard Slayer magic item restrictions.

What makes a Fighter strong is Fighter HLAs like Whirlwind and Deathblow. You'll be missing out on those with a dual - as well as a lot of other nice things like more attacks per round, lower THAC0 and more pips into weapon proficiencies.

Fighter/Thief dual is basically all about getting high backstab multipliers ASAP. This playstyle is very strong but also very different - a 'killing machine from the shadows' as opposed to a 'front line killing machine'.

If you plan to go into ToB, take a multiclass. Otherwise, dual it.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Kubla Khan posted:

What makes a Fighter strong is Fighter HLAs like Whirlwind and Deathblow. You'll be missing out on those with a dual - as well as a lot of other nice things like more attacks per round, lower THAC0 and more pips into weapon proficiencies.

Fighter/Thief dual is basically all about getting high backstab multipliers ASAP. This playstyle is very strong but also very different - a 'killing machine from the shadows' as opposed to a 'front line killing machine'.

If you plan to go into ToB, take a multiclass. Otherwise, dual it.

Luckily, Wizard Slayer->Thief is about none of these things.

edit: The point of WS->T is that it allows you to get a very powerful, unique ability (on hit cumulative spell disruption) and later negate the drawbacks (no non-weapon/armor magic items).

The benefits of WS->T are the opposite of what you say: play it only if you are playing through ToB. For SoA only it doesn't pay off.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 14, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where do you get these Fighter HLA's? In BG 1 or IWD 2?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Where do you get these Fighter HLA's? In BG 1 or IWD 2?

Neither. They are in BG2 with Throne of Bhaal expansion.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If you do a fighter/thief multi class do you actually want anything from the thief HLAs? I'm thinking of just doing a swashbuckler/fighter dual class instead because I can't think of anything useful to use from UAI that a regular fighter couldnt use.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Iretep posted:

If you do a fighter/thief multi class do you actually want anything from the thief HLAs? I'm thinking of just doing a swashbuckler/fighter dual class instead because I can't think of anything useful to use from UAI that a regular fighter couldnt use.

Fighter/Thief Multiclass can use UAI to use alignment restricted equipment like Carsomyr or Human Flesh armor, or character restricted equipment like Jansen Adventurewear, or class restricted gear like wands and Bard instruments.

The Fighter and Thief HLA's combine in interesting ways. For instance, the Assassination HLA makes every attack a backstab, but even high level thieves rarely have maximum attacks per round (dual wielding Belm and Kundane with Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization and Improved Haste gives only 9 APR with +2 weapons. 7 APR is more likely if you want to hit ToB creatures). But a fighter/thief with specialization, the Gauntlets, dual wielding a thief weapon (like Hindo's Doom) main hand with Kundane or Scarlet Ninja-to off hand can get 10 APR with much better Thac0.

Thief traps are also super good.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
^^^ I found Thief HLA traps could one-shot Demogorgon.

^^^^^^^ There's no point in Dualing a Swashbuckler. That class's main feature is having the lowest AC in the game (one of my first MCs was a Swashbuckler.) and it only begins to shine in late SoA / ToB with a lot of levels.

amanasleep posted:

edit: The point of WS->T is that it allows you to get a very powerful, unique ability (on hit cumulative spell disruption) and later negate the drawbacks (no non-weapon/armor magic items).

I'm not that impressed by his special ability, tbh.

If you can hit a mage, he's dead. That's the general rule of BG. The challenge of fighting a powerful mage like a lich lies in being able to reduce his layers of PfMWs, Immunities, Stoneskins etc before your party is overrun by spells. Once the layers/contingencies are down, you've won - all that's left is to lay down the damage (and any damage automatically interrupts spellcasting, as I'm sure you know).

Which leaves us with magic resistance of... 18%? 26%? It's nice, I give you that. But what are you trading off compared to the fighter/thief multi? To me, losing HLAs, attacks etc. for magic resistance isn't worth it if what you're aiming for is a front line killing machine.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 14, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Kubla Khan posted:

^^^ I found Thief HLA traps could one-shot Demogorgon.

^^^^^^^ There's no point in Dualing a Swashbuckler. That class's main feature is having the lowest AC in the game (one of my first MCs was a Swashbuckler.) and it only begins to shine in late SoA / ToB with a lot of levels.

I'm not that impressed by his special ability, tbh.

If you can hit a mage, he's dead. That's the general rule of BG. The challenge of fighting a powerful mage like a lich lies in being able to reduce his layers of PfMWs, Immunities, Stoneskins etc before your party is overrun by spells. Once the layers/contingencies are down, you've won - all that's left is to lay down the damage (and any damage automatically interrupts spellcasting, as I'm sure you know).

Which leaves us with magic resistance of... 18%? 26%? It's nice, I give you that. But what are you trading off compared to the fighter/thief multi? To me, losing HLAs, attacks etc. for magic resistance isn't worth it if what you're aiming for is a front line killing machine.

The thing about the Wizard Slayer's on hit ability is that it affects the target even if it is protected from the damage (stoneskin) or if it doesn't care about the damage (dragons). In ToB you can hit lots of wizards and spell using creatures without being able to kill them or stop them from casting spells. But Wizard Slayer gets 10 hits in and you get 100% spell failure rate even if you did no damage and the target was immune to your other on hit effects.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kubla Khan posted:

. The challenge of fighting a powerful mage like a lich lies in being able to reduce his layers of PfMWs, Immunities, Stoneskins etc before your party is overrun by spells. Once the layers/contingencies are down, you've won - all that's left is to lay down the damage (and any damage automatically interrupts spellcasting, as I'm sure you know).

In addition to what was said above, this is not true^. All the high level casters have two contingencies of protections as well, not to mention the various scripted fights that have multiple phases, or dragon's who just have multiple castings of stoneskin. So for any kind of difficult fight you typically need to strip away their protections two or three (or four) times, which means any kind of debuff you can get on them while they're vulnerable (poison, for example) is worthwhile.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011

memento mori posted:

So I'm playing through bg1 and I level up viconia with a proficiency in flail/morning star. Turns out she doesn't have the strength for these weapons. If I was playing on my computer I'd just use a save editor but I'm playing on my phone. Are there any items I can go find that boost strength a couple points? I think she is short 2...
If you're playing BG:EE, there's a belt that sets your str to 19 and your int to 6 at some point in Rasaad's personal quest.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gdsfjkl posted:

If you're playing BG:EE, there's a belt that sets your str to 19 and your int to 6 at some point in Rasaad's personal quest.

It's in the second zone you come to after his quest sends you on a road trip. His quest doesn't start until chapter 5 so you'll get the gauntlets of ogre power at the same time for less effort.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arivia posted:

It's in the second zone you come to after his quest sends you on a road trip. His quest doesn't start until chapter 5 so you'll get the gauntlets of ogre power at the same time for less effort.

And you don't need to deal with a low level monk - who are essentially useless.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

amanasleep posted:

The thing about the Wizard Slayer's on hit ability is that it affects the target even if it is protected from the damage (stoneskin) or if it doesn't care about the damage (dragons). In ToB you can hit lots of wizards and spell using creatures without being able to kill them or stop them from casting spells. But Wizard Slayer gets 10 hits in and you get 100% spell failure rate even if you did no damage and the target was immune to your other on hit effects.

That's wrong. If you get the 'the target was immune to my weapons', the debuff doesn't proc. I'm 100% sure it's so with PfMW, not sure about Stoneskin in vanilla (my last playthrough was SCS and it certainly applies there). edit: actually, I checked it and it does so you're right in this sense - but then vanilla balance is all out of whack.

I've never had a single fight in BG2/ToB, vanilla or SCS, where the formula 'if you can hit a mage, the mage is dead' didn't apply.

fong posted:

In addition to what was said above, this is not true^. All the high level casters have two contingencies of protections as well, not to mention the various scripted fights that have multiple phases, or dragon's who just have multiple castings of stoneskin. So for any kind of difficult fight you typically need to strip away their protections two or three (or four) times, which means any kind of debuff you can get on them while they're vulnerable (poison, for example) is worthwhile.

Contingencies recast immunities as soon as you ruby ray/breach them - that's why they're called contigencies (0 cast time, 0 delay). Immunity:Abjuration/PfMW => ruby ray/breach => Contingency:PfMW => cast breach etc. until they are vulnerable and you kill them.

Dragons don't need spells to own a party that isn't prepared (outside of their protection spells that grant 'the target was immune to my weapons!' thing) - in both vanilla and SCS their most dangerous weapons are melee attacks and breath. To a prepared party they're dead meat anyway.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 15, 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Their contingencies are triggered by them reaching a certain %HP or maybe for some just when they get hit.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Kubla Khan posted:

That's wrong. If you get the 'the target was immune to my weapons', the debuff doesn't proc. I'm 100% sure it's so with PfMW, not sure about Stoneskin in vanilla (my last playthrough was SCS and it certainly applies there). edit: actually, I checked it and it does so you're right in this sense - but then vanilla balance is all out of whack.

I've never had a single fight in BG2/ToB, vanilla or SCS, where the formula 'if you can hit a mage, the mage is dead' didn't apply.

Contingencies recast immunities as soon as you ruby ray/breach them - that's why they're called contigencies (0 cast time, 0 delay). Immunity:Abjuration/PfMW => ruby ray/breach => Contingency:PfMW => cast breach etc. until they are vulnerable and you kill them.

Dragons don't need spells to own a party that isn't prepared (outside of their protection spells that grant 'the target was immune to my weapons!' thing) - in both vanilla and SCS their most dangerous weapons are melee attacks and breath. To a prepared party they're dead meat anyway.

If you want to say that basically any strategy works in vanilla, I'm with you. If you want to say that any strategy works in SCS if you have a party, I'm there. Clearly a Wizard Slayer is not required to win the game. The original question was about the viability of F->T duals. WS->T is the answer.

Back in the day when BG2 powergaming was young, WS->T was generally a solo challenge build. When soloing, mage fights can be tricky because the solo character often lacks the appropriate number of actions to overwhelm enemy defenses. WS-T solves that problem by neutering the nastiest abilities and waiting out the rest.

Note that you are correct about PfMW preventing the WS on-hit ability from procing (although I never claimed it did). But WS->T can usually get a lot of mileage out of equipping a non-magical weapon mainhand to get the hits in.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Is there a tweak that lets you cast while polymorphed/wildshaped? Probably broken, but I don't really care, I just wanna run around as my sword spider druid casting insect plague and running through webs and poo poo poisoning fools.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I know this isn't strictly speaking the right thread but I was wondering if I could get good party advice for Temple of Elemental Evil?

I was thinking a Paladin, Druid, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard which I know is rather cookie cutter but I'm not overly familiar with 3e rules like I am 2e and was wondering if there were better options and which classes, if any, should I multiclass in?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Feels lazy but I've always relied on Carsomyr +5/+6, often on an Inquisitor, to debuff mages without having to worry about multiple layers of spell protections. I'm going to do an evil run with a Dragon Disciple and plan not to use a Paladin so maybe I'll finally have to learn how to do all the debuffing stuff properly, but Keldorn with Carsomyr just works so well it's hard to give up.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I know this isn't strictly speaking the right thread but I was wondering if I could get good party advice for Temple of Elemental Evil?

I was thinking a Paladin, Druid, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard which I know is rather cookie cutter but I'm not overly familiar with 3e rules like I am 2e and was wondering if there were better options and which classes, if any, should I multiclass in?

Looks good, consider giving your paladin long swords and making your cleric chaotic good with exotic weapon proficiency bastard sword. Also, there's a pretty good druid NPC available almost right out of the gate. Maybe make your druid into a sorcerer? None of my advice is needed in the least though, your party looks fine and will carry you through the game. One thing I will say is look through game banshee or game faqs for the walk through on hommlet quests. They suck, but finishing them all gives you an experience level and makes the moat house a lot more enjoyable.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Installing the Romantic Encounters mod was a good/terrible decision for this playthrough. I expect to be constantly surprised by the people I can sleep with.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MorgaineDax posted:

Installing the Romantic Encounters mod was a good/terrible decision for this playthrough. I expect to be constantly surprised by the people I can sleep with.

Let us know when you get to Firkraags Unsheathed Sword*

Master of nymphology what the hell, hahaha. And i hear they are making a version for bg1 too!

*the actual loving name of the component

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 16, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Someone read this piece of poo poo on that design team I see.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Deaderinred posted:

Master of nymphology what the hell, hahaha. And i hear they are making a version for bg1 too!

*the actual loving name of the component

Firkraag has a lot to live up to. Mekrath did some weird things with a Feather Summon and went on about the uses of the Grease and Hold Person spells. :stonk:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Arivia posted:

Someone read this piece of poo poo on that design team I see.

Like game mods, 3rd person publishing has a lot to answer for. When they intersect, it gets really bad.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Deaderinred posted:

I checked out that one, unfortunately there aren't any Bad Dragons in this mod. It basically goes "Hey Firkraag, can I bone you" "uh man I sure do feel uncomfortable with this but yeah" "only as a dragon tho" "lol hell no"

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm still trying to decide how to do my thief frontliner fighter. It's come down to accepting fighter/thief multiclass and only getting specialization in weapons proficiency but getting ELAs for both or going Thief/berserker dual class for only fighter ELAs but getting high master in weapons. Getting use any item seems tempting but I don't feel great about not getting more proficiency on my chosen weapon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

memento mori posted:

Unless they fixed it in EE (save first and check) if you use a potion or spell to increase Viconia's strength then equip a flail (or morning-star, she doesn't un-equip it when the effect wears off. You can even switch back and forth between her primare and secondary weapon freely, as long as you don't take the flail out of a quick-weapon slot.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Iretep posted:

I'm still trying to decide how to do my thief frontliner fighter. It's come down to accepting fighter/thief multiclass and only getting specialization in weapons proficiency but getting ELAs for both or going Thief/berserker dual class for only fighter ELAs but getting high master in weapons. Getting use any item seems tempting but I don't feel great about not getting more proficiency on my chosen weapon.

In my opinion the best thing about Thieves is their backstab, which I think rules out the thief->fighter dual because you wouldn't get the thief high enough for 5x backstabs. Personally I'd suggest the multiclass, since (unless you use the modded weapon proficiencies) there's not a whole lot of benefit to grand mastery over specialisation, whereas the fighter HLAs are much better than the thief's for front lining.

The only time fighter->thief dual is better I think is when you want to make use of UAI later on to remove a Kensai or Wizard Slayer's item restrictions.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Shadowdancer / fighter is seriously beastly even at 3x backstab

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Shadowdancer / fighter is seriously beastly even at 3x backstab

Oh god I just read up on what shadowdancer can do. Guess I'll just go fighter > shadowdancer with an editor and rely on shadowdancers ELA purely. I'm thinking of using Carsomyr and then just spammin shadow twin. Hopefully this is fun as I imagine it to be.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
For a frontliner I still think fighter->swashbuckler is the way to go. :colbert:

Edit: If you want to use an editor to dual class into a kit make sure you set the kit before you dualclass. If you don't do this you won't get the correct level 1 bonuses. There are also some limitations when using this trick, for example you will probably find that your weapon proficiency limits are set by the base class instead of the kit, so you might need to edit those as you level too, at least until you get your fighter levels back.

ubachung fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 17, 2014

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I'm replaying BG2:EE with an evil party and I decided to take Edwin along since he is insanely powerful. I completed his personal quest and now he's back to being Edwin for the most part. He seems to have kept the female voice pack for spell casting stuff, which is actually kind of funny, just wondering whether it is a feature or a bug.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there any big advantage to being a Mage in Planescape as opposed to another class?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there any big advantage to being a Mage in Planescape as opposed to another class?

Mages are the most powerful class; there are some cool things you'll only see that way; and out of the three classes available to TNO, they are the only one that matches with the most important stats for conversations (Wis, Int, and Cha.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A high intelligence stat is more useful than dexterity or strength, and it's the strongest class. You also get significantly more unique dialogue than the other classes.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Intelligence is useful for dialogues, but mages don't really benefit more from it than any other thieves or fighters do. Mages certainly aren't the the strongest class in the game, Ignus for example is terrible in combat because there simply aren't any really good spells to cast. Anyway, don't think TNO as a single-class character, you can get a trainer for each class as a party member, so you can freely switch between the different classes as long as you have those characters in your party. Be a fighter when you want to level up your fighting skills, be a thief when you want to do thief stuff & be a mage when you need to talk to people with funny hats.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mages are easily the most powerful class. You can deck like 90% of the creatures in the game by throwing Cloudkill around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
I don't recall it working on anything dangerous except those worms in Undersigil. Good for farming XP, though, if that's something you're interested in.