Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Fremry posted:

I'm watching the Twitch stream of Gamescom showing "Lords of the Fallen", and the dev just said "We tried to go with classic fantasy tropes but made them dark and stylized. We tried to keep it for mainstream audiences, but let me reiterate that it's a challenging game."

"I've heard one question over and over and over again. The question has been, 'Great, yeah. Looks great.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Honestly I don't even know why people buy the Xbone and PS4. A decent gaming PC and a Wii U is basically all you need to play the majority of new games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Hahaha, holy poo poo, that's gold. In that "Lords of the Fallen" interview they were doing, they were talking about how great it looked, but it was just muted browns, grays and shadows so dark that it was difficult to tell what was going on.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Starhawk64 posted:

Honestly I don't even know why people buy the Xbone and PS4. A decent gaming PC and a Wii U is basically all you need to play the majority of new games.

Just had a conversation with somebody about that this morning. I'm a sucker for some Sony exclusives, but nothing has convinced me that buying a PS4 is a good idea yet. I like infamous, lbp and TLoU, but with MGS5 coming to Steam, what's the point? I ain't ever going to play Mario on anything besides my Wii U, so it's actually a really comfortable setup: PC and Wii U.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Starhawk64 posted:

Honestly I don't even know why people buy the PS4.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Why are you posting bad gritty fanart of Toad's Treasure Tracker? :confused:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

Why are you posting bad gritty fanart of Toad's Treasure Tracker? :confused:

There's a crossover that will never happen and the world is worse for it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Final Fantasy XV (Versus) could also be considered a reason to buy a PS4 (or XBone)... so long as the game delivers on the hype.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Starhawk64 posted:

Most people who buy consoles actually want to play that console's exclusives. It's why console exclusives exist: to incentivise people to buy consoles. This is basically the only reason anyone buys a Nintendo console anymore, right?

Also it's nice to buy a game knowing that you're gonna put it in the console and it will be optimized and "just work," rather than forcing you to scour Tom's Hardware to see what kinda frame rate your video card will manage or send you to Radeon's homepage to get new drivers or whatever and whoops it just crashed again for no reason.

e: I own a PC and play games on it, but it's pretty easy to see why people might prefer to just buy a PS4 or Xbox One over dealing with a PC.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
This is something that should be given to every video game company. The explanation is very reduced, but it gets the point across.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've never had a gaming PC and I've always felt like getting Nintendo/Sony's consoles covers the bases pretty well

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I have a Wii U and a PS4. I like them for different reasons :shrug: I like Nintendo games and I other types of games like Destiny, Uncharted, etc. To each their own :)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fremry posted:

This is something that should be given to every video game company. The explanation is very reduced, but it gets the point across.

It said that Gears of War had good aesthetics.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Silver Striker posted:

I have a Wii U and a PS4. I like them for different reasons :shrug: I like Nintendo games and I other types of games like Destiny, Uncharted, etc. To each their own :)

Yeah, I will most likely end up buying a PS4 (I have little to no interest in the Xbone), but I still like the aesthetics on the Wii U better thus far. I will say that my favorite game aesthetically is Prince of Persia.

Edit:

The Taint Reaper posted:

It said that Gears of War had good aesthetics.

Yeah, that's why I put that disclaimer in there. I cringed at that part, but the overall explanation is sound.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Because PC gaming is bad, and not good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A pc is a bit more effort but with a little research and time investment you can get a solid rig for not much more than a Bone, and after the first year or so of a console's life the performance and graphics advantage is night and day. Then games are a ton cheaper because PC games get marked down fast and have crazy sales like every other month. Wait a couple months and you'll get a better version of the console games with all the dlc for half the price. I mean buying something like Skyrim for a console is basically paying a premium for a version of the game that runs worse, looks worse, and can't be modded.

Obviously if you really love Sony's or Microsoft's exclusives that's a different matter. For my money I really like strategy and 4x games which are kind of the PC's exclusives. Nintendo complements the PC well because If I don't feel like planning poo poo out I like Nintendo's stuff which I can pick up and play for an hour or so to relax.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Starhawk64 posted:

Heck yes. My tastes are weird enough to where this setup (+ 3DS) offers everything I want to play. I'm not into the third person action games that were popular last gen like uncharted and asscreed and nothing looks much different for these new consoles.

Platformers are my favorites though, and Wii U has the best around lately. Also, the local multiplayer!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am very satisfied with my PC and Wii U combo. The only reason I might cave and get a PS4 is for FFXV. As for the XB1...I wouldn't even pay $99 for it right now because it would just end up gathering dust immediately.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
PS4 will have the new Uncharted which will probably be good but might not have the same "magic" after all the Naughty Dog team members leaving the company. Persona 5 is coming some time in the future. Uh... there's probably something else both good and exclusive coming to it but my mind's drawing a blank right now.

I have both a Wii U and 3DS now, along with my PC, and that's the most I've spent on a console generation in a long time, but I'm basically covered on all fronts. I'll miss a couple things on PS4, but I can just watch Let's Plays if I'm that hard up. XBone has nothing to offer me but super smart fish AI.

Cake Attack posted:

Persona 5 is a PS3 exclusive.

Oh yeah, I forgot that team doesn't understand new technology. One less reason to care about things I don't own then. :)

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 15, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Persona 5 is a PS3 exclusive.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

I am very satisfied with my PC and Wii U combo. The only reason I might cave and get a PS4 is for FFXV. As for the XB1...I wouldn't even pay $99 for it right now because it would just end up gathering dust immediately.

I unplugged my XBOX 360 because I needed a plug for the Gamepad. I hadn't used it in like 7 months, so it wasn't a loss. I do still occasionally play my PS3 though. I didn't play Halo 4 and only got halfway through Gears of War 3, so I've kinda given up on Microsoft exclusives.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I had a 360, I traded it in for a Wii-U. Best decision I've made.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'll end up getting a PS4 sometime in the near future, but I haven't really enjoyed Sony's first-party offerings in recent years. Back in the PS1 era, they had quite a selection of more niche and experimental (for the time at least) titles such as Parappa the Rapper and Intelligence Qube. With the PS3, it was mostly just downloadable titles like Tokyo Jungle and echochrome. And I'm really not interested in most AAA titles, which is why I ended up investing more time on the Wii, DS, PSP, and PC than I did the 360 or PS3.

I've been hanging on to the 360 for the exclusives on that, but most of Microsoft's first-party games don't interest me outside of I guess the first Crackdown being kinda fun, and the first Dead Rising still being exclusive on it. I was also keeping it for the Good Version of Bayonetta, but since that's getting ported to the Wii U it gives me less of a reason to keep it around. Also Chromehounds is dead. :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Starhawk64 posted:

I had a 360, I traded it in for a Wii-U. Best decision I've made.

A coworker traded in his PS4 for a WiiU because he said there was nothing to play on it. Nintendo wins again :smug:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Starhawk64 posted:

Convenience, hype, friends. I had this big-old, useless post typed up about how the PS3's ultimately a way better value and it boggles my mind that people would trade in their PS3 for a PS4, but instead I'm just going to say that people expect PS2 2.0 and leave it at that.

PC + Wii U combo is definitely the bee's knees, though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'm going with a PS4, Wii U, and PC triple combo. It's mostly because I prefer console gaming due to it's ease of access and I've loved Sony's consoles since I picked up a PS2 back in the early 2000's, but I understand that a PS4 is a very stupid purchasing decision at the moment. It'll get better in time, but right now it's kind of a desert. Meanwhile the Wii U easily has at least a dozen games worth getting right now.

I would have to have brain damage to ever want an XBone though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

I'm going with a PS4, Wii U, and PC triple combo. It's mostly because I prefer console gaming due to it's ease of access and I've loved Sony's consoles since I picked up a PS2 back in the early 2000's, but I understand that a PS4 is a very stupid purchasing decision at the moment. It'll get better in time, but right now it's kind of a desert.

Depends on whether you owned a PS3. My PS4 backlog is already getting pretty substantial, but I'm currently occupied with Wonderful 101.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Starhawk64 posted:

The only games I like on Playstation consoles are the exclusives unfrotunately. But LittleBigPlanet is coming to the PS3. And Ratchet and Clank is probably a long ways away from a proper PS4 release. I expect Uncharted to be out in late 2015 as well. I can probably hold off on a PS4 for another year

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I can totally understand why someone would want a PS4 or Xbone if you like that style of game, but as someone who is not a fan of that, most of them just run together for me, you know? From the outside looking in, it seem like everything is some variation of Grand Theft Auto, God of War or Call of Duty, but I'm sure all the games on the WiiU look the same to some people too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Notch has been tweeting some pretty derogatory things about WiiU today, so a minecraft port is probably unlikely. Apparently the WiiU has only two games, and he looks forward to the third game in 2015.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

greatn posted:

Notch has been tweeting some pretty derogatory things about WiiU today, so a minecraft port is probably unlikely. Apparently the WiiU has only two games, and he looks forward to the third game in 2015.

Who gives a poo poo what some idiot who couldn't even finish developing his Java lego simulator thinks?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Who is notch?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The guy that makes people make Minecraft, I think he also made the first alpha of it and left it at that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm sort of surprised there hasn't been (to my knowledge) a AAA Minecraft-clone from a Nintendo or EA yet. A bright colorful user-creation game with fundamental building blocks covering basic geographies. With some more muscle and a bigger studio you could probably cut into that a little bit.

Although tough to beat the ubiquity of the PC - the sharing and MP aspects of Minecraft have gone a long way toward its popularity. Perhaps lightning wouldn't strike twice.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The guy that makes people make Minecraft, I think he also made the first alpha of it and left it at that.

He made Minecraft by himself and didn't intend for it to be big. He wanted to do something else and took a buyout offer. I think he's on staff mostly so he gets continual money from his fluke. He's working on some other pet project.

He's kind of full of himself and loves to see / hear his name. He donates massive amounts of money to things like humble bundle and speed running marathons simply to see his name on a leader board, or to hear his name read on stream. Not that donating money isn't awesome, I just don't think he'd donate without the read off of how awesome he is for donating a few hundred grand (and that is something awesome to do).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Afro posted:

Who gives a poo poo what some idiot who couldn't even finish developing his Java lego simulator thinks?

Well Minecraft is insanely popular and both the WiiU and the game would greatly benefit from a proper WiiU version but if the creator and IP holder is down on the system it's unlikely to happen.

Which is so loving dumb, it would sell so well and voxel would be a pretty prime style for a Mario texture pack.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

zenintrude posted:

I know you said "most," but you need to check out P.T.
At the risk of sounding oblivious, what's P.T.?

greatn posted:

That's still twice as many games as Mojang :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Only a goon would try to paint a guy donating thousands of dollars to charity as some horrible thing. :cripes:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PC/WiiU combo is pretty good because the # of AAA games is shrinking rapidly and the # of indie games is growing exponentially, which means the majority of games will run fine on PCs without requiring the kind of hectic upgrading of the old days, unless you absolutely have to play Battlefield 6: Even Less Optimized Edition

The average game now isn't Uncharted 4, it's "procedurally generated 2D roguelike with retro 8-bit graphics"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

loving dumbass bitch.

I'm gonna kick his rear end

• Locked thread