Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Everblight posted:

There's a DBOX theater about an hour from me; can any DBOX viewers confirm it's as good as other DBOX shows? (last thing I saw in DBOX was Iron Man 3, and it was legit)

This is the first thing I've ever seen in DBOX but it was loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There was something else I wanted to address - in addition to embodying the Other, I think Ronan is clearly a thanatic figure. On his vessel, Ronan is an underworld judge, holding a hammer in a dark cave, commands demonic (relatively speaking, of course) soldiers and "necrocrafts", and works for someone called Thanos. This ties into another theme of the movie, life and death, which I do want to talk about sometime when I have time for an effort post.

e: I don't think Xandar is as corrupt as it immediately seems. It just a quibble, but when the Quill and company were being sent to prison, I didn't assume it was without a trial - they have previous criminal records, so its likely that they had been judged in absentia (which might be reasonable in a space-faring society where being present for a trial could be a luxury). Although that's arguing on a subnarrative level than a symbolical/metaphorical one.

Xandar is obviously a democratic, multi-cultural and relatively prosperous place, and thus is very much worth saving. Ronan is evil, but his harsh judgement on them is not completely unjust - he is a direct product of their war with the Kree; like bin Laden, one of their chickens coming home to roost. The Kiln and Knowhere also hint at what Xandar's prosperity is built on.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I guess I should take the opinion of someone who thought Man of Steel was a good movie to heart in relation to Ghostbusters being a better film than Fifth Element.

You are welcome to.

quote:

I'm honestly curious since mostly been poo poo in theatres I've barely gone. I don't think I even saw another sci-fi movie this year.

I haven't seen them yet, but I've heard really good things about Snowpiercer and Lucy.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Saw the movie for the 4th time today. Place had Starlord and Gamora's costumes on display and a neat little mini documentary with James Gunn and Zondu.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Saw this yesterday, loved it. I'm trying to remember who Ronan actually was though, and why he had an army of grey zombie-looking fellas. Is he a nutty Kree monarch or pope or someone like that, that they've ostracised for being a complete nutjob? Mad religious man still bearing grudges from a recent war is definitely a much more solid backstory for a villain than, say, the space elves in Thor 2.

I'll happily watch a sequel, especially if it's being done by James Gunn. It's a big setting to take in and I'd enjoy seeing more of it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
In the comics Ronan is more like a mix of Judge Dredd and some kind of uber general for the Kree. In the movie he appears to be acting without the auspices of the Kree's government (sadly they apparently chose to have a bland emperor rather than a giant face called THE SUPREME INTELLIGENCE).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Black Bones posted:

Xandar is obviously a democratic, multi-cultural and relatively prosperous place, and thus is very much worth saving. Ronan is evil, but his harsh judgement on them is not completely unjust - he is a direct product of their war with the Kree; like bin Laden, one of their chickens coming home to roost. The Kiln and Knowhere also hint at what Xandar's prosperity is built on.

My interpretation of Ronan is heavily influenced by the comics, were the Kree are unapologetic imperialists and Ronan is, in a way, the exemplar of their society. In the movies Ronan is apparently operating with their tacit approval. He's serving Thanos, the leading power in the universe, so its a rogue military leader making a deal with a superpower to secure a resource (the Orb) to further his ideological gains (destroying Xandar). When he massacres the Kyln, it's for tactical reasons, with no pretence of ideology (even if it does serve it). And the movie parallels Ronan "judging" Xandar with the Celestial destroying the planet in the Collector's footage. The movie doesn't expound on the Celestials, but they would basically be super-Imperialists, who go around colonising and genociding worlds.

This reading says then that "righteous" revolutionary causes hide imperialist impulses. One man's terrorist is another's man imperialist. The foil, of course, is the Guardians, who are society in microcosm. In the end distance themselves from Xandar and its values even if they find it a preferable alternative to Ronan.

Drax, by the way, represents the military/militaristic response to terrorism. In his mind, solving the problem equals killing terrorists. When that's done, he decides that the next step is to go after the terrorists' supporters (Thanos).

Red Bones posted:

Saw this yesterday, loved it. I'm trying to remember who Ronan actually was though, and why he had an army of grey zombie-looking fellas. Is he a nutty Kree monarch or pope or someone like that, that they've ostracised for being a complete nutjob? Mad religious man still bearing grudges from a recent war is definitely a much more solid backstory for a villain than, say, the space elves in Thor 2.

The movie doesn't expand upon it, but Ronan's title is Accuser (it's in the movie like only two times). He's a member of a sect of military/judicial leaders who go around judging Kree and enemies of the Kree Empire. Imagine a Judge Dredd for aliens, and you're not too far off. The movie added a religious dimension to it to make him more of a modern terrorist figure. The "zombies" are really just a freaky-looking alien race (Sakaarans).

e: beaten

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 15, 2014

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Thanks for the info.

I feel like the grey mooks should have just been more Kree wearing armour. It's a bit of a nitpicky point to make, and I'm cool with the film not feeling the need to explain every single detail about its setting, but making a vaguely important plot point like "where did the main villain get all these soldiers" be kind of unclear feels like a misstep to me when there's such a convenient solution that requires no more effort and would flesh Ronan out a little more (he's an important cultural/religious/political figure, there's probably other Kree also upset about the peace treaty, ergo some of these bitter/fanatical Kree soldiers would follow him).

I looked up Sakaarans and they seem to have a mindless loyal drones + queen setup, which is probably why they were okay with pulling that Kamikaze poo poo at the end of the film. Seems like something important enough to get a one-line explaination in the film, but they feel like something that got added into the script later when Marvel got uncomfortable with the heroes killing tons of faceless Kree mooks when there are sympathetic Kree in the film, so :shrug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Red Bones posted:

Thanks for the info.

I feel like the grey mooks should have just been more Kree wearing armour. It's a bit of a nitpicky point to make, and I'm cool with the film not feeling the need to explain every single detail about its setting, but making a vaguely important plot point like "where did the main villain get all these soldiers" be kind of unclear feels like a misstep to me when there's such a convenient solution that requires no more effort and would flesh Ronan out a little more (he's an important cultural/religious/political figure, there's probably other Kree also upset about the peace treaty, ergo some of these bitter/fanatical Kree soldiers would follow him).

I looked up Sakaarans and they seem to have a mindless loyal drones + queen setup, which is probably why they were okay with pulling that Kamikaze poo poo at the end of the film. Seems like something important enough to get a one-line explaination in the film, but they feel like something that got added into the script later when Marvel got uncomfortable with the heroes killing tons of faceless Kree mooks when there are sympathetic Kree in the film, so :shrug:

They might include heroic Kree characters in future movies, so that would've certainly built up the universe much more. One character/franchise is built around a Kree defecting even.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I hope they're saving up the Supreme Intelligence for another movie. I loved that thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Red Bones posted:

It's just Planet Hulk getting built up like Thanos in the background of other movies.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Gyges posted:

It's just Planet Hulk getting built up like Thanos in the background of other movies.

It isn't.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 15, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Ah, they don't wanna do it straight-away 'cause it basically wouldn't have any Ruffalo in it, eh? Well, that pretty much makes sense. Plus it makes sense to wait to do Planet Hulk until you've established Hulk as a planetary threat/nuisance a little bit more, which they haven't really done much of yet. Let Ruffalo & Hulk rampage around on Earth for a few more years, then send him into space.

Also please give Patsy Walker movie. thanks.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JohnSherman posted:

Wrestling is fake hth.

You did a good thing posting this. It's a wonderful contribution to the discussion.

That's an interesting response from Feige. You could edit the script to have more Banner if you really need it.

Maybe it's more that:

- Planet Hulk would just be really expensive?
- You can't do it without making World War Hulk.
- Hulk would have to be a little "smarter" to make both of those films.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Red posted:

You did a good thing posting this. It's a wonderful contribution to the discussion.

That's an interesting response from Feige. You could edit the script to have more Banner if you really need it.

Maybe it's more that:

- Hulk would have to be a little "smarter" to make both of those films.

I think he kinda says it in the interview. They want a Ruffalo-led solo Hulk movie and making Planet Hulk now would mean that the first solo Hulk movie with Ruffalo in it would feature a very small amount of Ruffalo unless they do a lot of rewrites. He says he's open to Planet Hulk, but seems like he has decided to 100% rule out making Planet Hulk the first Ruffalo solo film.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I recently saw a (probably fake) summary of Age of Ultron. It basically took the stuff that is known, like the party where they all try to lift hammer, and build a story around that. It was pretty terrible, but one of the things was that Bruce Banner actually end up in the space by the end of it.

So my theory is that while we might not see Planet Hulk, we might just see Hulk/Banner in Space. There is a number of reason why that could work, the biggest being that they can really cut the Hulk lose, since there are a lot of creatures and planets where he can battle and they don't have to worry about it, would allow them to explore space a little more and, primarily, they can actually have Banner in it a lot and only have the Hulk during the big action sequences.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Red posted:

Maybe it's more that:

Why not? WWH is after Planet, not before it. Just have Hulk return home and be angry, no different than he is after any story.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

You can't publicly say you're exiling Hulk into space, Hulk might hear you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Late as gently caress to seeing this movie, but my god was it good. Incredibly good. I think it has by far the best mix of heart/funny poo poo in any blockbuster-sort of movie. Still don't know if I like Rocket or Drax more.

e:
Alright, I'M standing now. You happy? We're all standing now. Standing around, like jackasses.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 15, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think he kinda says it in the interview. They want a Ruffalo-led solo Hulk movie and making Planet Hulk now would mean that the first solo Hulk movie with Ruffalo in it would feature a very small amount of Ruffalo unless they do a lot of rewrites. He says he's open to Planet Hulk, but seems like he has decided to 100% rule out making Planet Hulk the first Ruffalo solo film.

Yeah, but seeing as how there is no Planet Hulk script (I'm... assuming?), it's not a rewrite.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
All the aliens were just humans with bodypaint and maybe a few bumps. Kinda like Star Trek.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Baron Bifford posted:

All the aliens were just humans with bodypaint and maybe a few bumps. Kinda like Star Trek.

Yeah, is there an explanation for that in-universe?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, is there an explanation for that in-universe?

God made them that way.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also-

Cheston posted:

I want to see it again just for that moment. It's also when I realized how good the 3D was going to be.

Is this poster for sale anywhere? I want one.

-I have no idea but here's a large digital version.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

IronicDongz posted:

also-
-I have no idea but here's a large digital version.

This kinda makes my eyes hurt.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Chris Pratt manages to expand the border of what "action blockbuster hero" can be, in a new direction.

:rolleyes: He may be sillier, but that doesn't expand the border of anything at all. There have been heroes who crack jokes, are silly, don't take themselves too seriously. Misplaced bravado on the heroes part has been played for comedy before.

I really don't understand all of this love for Pratt's acting as Starlord. You're all praising this childish part of a hero, or that he's trying to be cool, so it comes across as funny. You could replace the actor with Kevin James and you'd get the exact same poo poo except for the believability that he could be found attractive.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Crappy Jack posted:

God made them that way.

Not God.

Space Gods.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

:rolleyes: He may be sillier, but that doesn't expand the border of anything at all. There have been heroes who crack jokes, are silly, don't take themselves too seriously. Misplaced bravado on the heroes part has been played for comedy before.

I really don't understand all of this love for Pratt's acting as Starlord. You're all praising this childish part of a hero, or that he's trying to be cool, so it comes across as funny. You could replace the actor with Kevin James and you'd get the exact same poo poo except for the believability that he could be found attractive.

Putting Kevin James on the same level as Chris Pratt as far as charm and comedic ability is loving fighting words, sir.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Not God.

Space Gods.

One thing I always found cool is that Apocalypse is actually a servant of these guys - in other words, if you're looking big enough picture, he's not really a villain. His whole "I WILL SHEPHERD THE EVOLUTION OF THIS PLANET'S LIFE, AS IS MY HOLY RIGHT" trip is not actually him being crazy, as you'd expect. The people who created life on Earth really did give him the reigns.

Unfortunately this is gonna get pretty screwed up in the movies but hey, oh well.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah a lot of his enhance meets come from Celestial tech. I think the High Evolutionary is similar.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

This is gorgeous. Thanks for posting it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Putting Kevin James on the same level as Chris Pratt as far as charm and comedic ability is loving fighting words, sir.

No doubt James could never pull off the charm or loveable roguish parts of Quill. It's just that some of the comedy in the film was so ridiculous that I could see it being done in a Kevin James film.

Black Bones posted:

And I think my favourite thing about it (beyond the love of pop music defeating evil!:rock:) was how it treated the obsession with canon-continuity: it's antagonist straight-up dismisses the Marvel Avenger tie-in as the weak-rear end bullshit that it is! I fist pumped every time Ronan disrespected Thanos.

I was cringing going in, since I expected a lot more of that stuff. Honestly, the build-up of Thanos as a threat just does not work in these movies. It was his threats that were empty, not Ronans.

I thought Gamora was great – she's basically the most well-meaning character in the movie; the Guardians coming together is because her noble quest rubs off on and inspires Starlord and the others. She's basically a green Leia Skywalker!

LOVE that episode. The references and inspirations this film draws from really made it fun to watch.

That's the thing, Ronan is clearly his superior in every way. Thanos knows this, which is why he flees from the Kree. I don't see it as a problem though, cuz Ronan is awesome and Thanos looks lame and is clearly a coward who hires out his killings and enjoys little to no loyalty from his subjects. He just plain sucks, the movies are making this very clear.

Even before that Ronan could have taken him. The Accuser was certainly not impressed by that “i'll get out of my chair and stomp you” threat. He has the measure of this mad titan, which is why he treats the ugly doofus with such disdain and slight regard.

Oh I hope so! If/when Thanos gets ahold of the gauntlet, I want the Accuser to wraith out and wreak the his poo poo! That would actually make thematic sense. “You desire to be a god? Well gods can still be judged motherfuckerrrr” - something along those lines. Of course I doubt any one at Marvel studios has the wit to see it or the balls to do it, but I can dream on.

Yes, absolutely! The whole “ancient alien dna” the Novas claim is false, it's just they have no other explanation, cuz like the Jedi they're too dumb to understand the power of love.

And this explains why Ronan could grab the orb bare-handed and alone, to Thanos' horror (cuz he can't cuz he's a bitch who needs gloves) – unlike the love of the guardians, his will is strong through his hatred.

Anyways, Guardians is about Gamora redeeming the rest of the crew. By the time the film begins, she's clearly already had her own redemption moment. Starlord was always a good person, but hides his trauma behind space-pirate roguishness: she's the catalyst he needs to move beyond that! And she needs him too, as he is the first person to ever believe/trust/actually like her. I was really disappointed they didn't kiss. :(

The Thanos scenes were great, but I think I liked them for different reasons than most. Ronan never cowers, he judges, and when he tells the titan he's coming for him, it's not a hollow threat. Thanos knows it too, that's why he looks like bile has just shot up into his throat, and why he hangs up his video-phone: so the audience cannot witness him running away on his chubby toddler legs!

I mostly agree with you on this issue, although I don't think full-on flashback scenes would be necessary for Drax and Gamora, just proper imagery (like the lighting or colours or something) for when they speak about themselves. Rocket's drunken breakdown was a little redundant, cuz we see his scarred back in prison. I think the motivations for the heroes and villains are fairly clear, but some of them are definitely presented awkwardly.

The characters who really could have benefited with a little more time are Groot and Korath the Hunter, I feel they both get short-changed in spite of being really interesting conception/aesthetic-wise.

The Accuser and his army are wonderful in their visual/thematic cues: first obviously the Frost Giants and other Marvel bad guys, but also the villains from Chronicles of Riddick and Immortals. Ronan himself is like a Zod/Dredd who emerges from beyond the black rainbow!

And his relationship with Drax reminds of Batman and Bane. Drax, despite his nickname and early blustering, is not willing to totally abandon his humanity to achieve his vengeance, Ronan is. That is eventually revealed as a strength in the hand-holding showdown, of course. Ronan has essentially the same motivations as Drax, but because he has stripped himself of love, he can only succeeds in creating more versions of himself. Luckily Drax (and Gamora, who has a similar story) reject this hatred.

Ronan really is the best villain I've seen yet in these Marvel films. If Marvel Studios were smart (interested in telling a good story as opposed to stretching one out into mediocrity) he would be the Big Bad. Or Thanos really should have been modeled on him; y'know a villain whose interesting and scary?? One who actually does stuff as opposed to sitting on his fat-rear end going "just as planned" ad nauseam.

He raised him, he is Starlord's father in a much more real way than some jackass. They should make Adam Warlock his father, I never read any of his comics but he sounds crazy weird, which this boring universe needs more of!

Yeah he was a great diss on nerd-culture and its compulsive consumption and terrible treatment of women.

Are you 12? Hey, it's OK to be excited about a move you like but Jesus.

Captain Mog posted:

Holy poo poo. This is possibly one of my new favorite movies. I'm not even kidding you. Everything was fabulous. I would even go as far as to call it our generation's Star Wars.

:doh: While I don't doubt that this is something you truly feel, maybe you should let some of the excitement wear off before you make that judgement.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 15, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Doctor Butts posted:

You could replace the actor with Kevin James and you'd get the exact same poo poo except for the believability that he could be found attractive.
Not only are you wrong, but him being attractive, is, in my humble opinion, very important

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Well, right. You could replace him with a comedic actor that wasn't as hollywood hot and it'd still work. It'd be like Bill Murray in Ghostbusters.

(not Kevin James, though, because he's terrible but I get what you're saying)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Point of order, James Gunn was so sold on Chris Pratt in the role he said he would have cast him even if he hadn't gotten into Movie Muscleman mode. Of course I'm guessing Pratt didn't want to be known as the fat Marvel hero so he did the training anyway.

I don't really keep track of comedians much but I've always thought that, in interviews and stuff, Pratt always comes off the most charming and off the cuff funny out of the whole Parks & Recreation cast (although it is kind of weird how they stay semi in-character when doing interviews... is that a normal sitcom thing?) I'm glad he got to headline a big action movie and while there might be other comedic actors who could have done it he was definitely an excellent choice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doctor Butts posted:

The looks are a big part of it though? The best way I've seen of summing it up is a review that referred to him as "a male Jennifer Lawrence." He's a good looking guy who's down to earth and who everyone in the audience can relate to. Sure he's juvenile but everyone wants to be juvenile sometimes.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Harime Nui posted:

I don't really keep track of comedians much but I've always thought that, in interviews and stuff, Pratt always comes off the most charming and off the cuff funny out of the whole Parks & Recreation cast (although it is kind of weird how they stay semi in-character when doing interviews... is that a normal sitcom thing?)

That's pretty much because all the characters on Parks & Rec are just amplified versions of the actors.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Harime Nui posted:

In the comics Ronan is more like a mix of Judge Dredd and some kind of uber general for the Kree. In the movie he appears to be acting without the auspices of the Kree's government (sadly they apparently chose to have a bland emperor rather than a giant face called THE SUPREME INTELLIGENCE).

Did they say he was the Emperor? I just figured it was a random, high up diplomat.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DFu4ever posted:

Did they say he was the Emperor? I just figured it was a random, high up diplomat.

Credits/wiki say "Kree Ambassador".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Harime Nui posted:

Point of order, James Gunn was so sold on Chris Pratt in the role he said he would have cast him even if he hadn't gotten into Movie Muscleman mode. Of course I'm guessing Pratt didn't want to be known as the fat Marvel hero so he did the training anyway.

Pratt was most of the way to mad ripped anyway because of his role in Zero Dark Thirty.

Male Jennifer Lawrence is a pretty perfect way to describe the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

PostNouveau posted:

Pratt was most of the way to mad ripped anyway because of his role in Zero Dark Thirty.

No he wasn't, he put a whole poo poo ton of weight back on after Zero Dark for the Delivery Man movie with Vince Vaughn.

• Locked thread