Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
The only Argentinian league games I usually watch are River-Boca. Is there anything interesting (and worth staying up this late) to expect from this season besides those games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I refuse to watch a league where they allow Sebastian Abreu to play.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don't know if any of the other matches will be good but the end of Quilmes vs. Rosario Central was hilarious

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't know if any of the other matches will be good but the end of Quilmes vs. Rosario Central was hilarious

How did it end? The stream blacked out on me with a minute and a half left.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

How did it end? The stream blacked out on me with a minute and a half left.

Quilmes had a corner at the end of the 5th minute of the 4 minutes of injury time, hosed it up, and Central scored

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Polidoro posted:

I refuse to watch a league where they allow Sebastian Abreu to play.

lol El Loco owns

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just wanted to mention a bizarre on going situation in Brazil.

The Brazilian national championship officially started in 1971. For a long that, that was considered the start of the national championship. Well, in 1987 there was a sort of split, and the "official" champion according to CBF was Sport Recife, but Flamengo was long considered the actual champion because they played in the version with most of the bigger name teams. 1988 things went back to normal and no one thought about it. Until the mid 2000s. Whoever won the national championship 5 times would get to keep the trophy. Flamengo had 4 official and the 1 unofficial title. Sao Paulo won the 5th time and got the trophy, which led to rehashing the old dispute about 1987 again. In the middle of these disputes, CBF decided to recognize the old Taca Brasil championship as the "real" start of the Brazilian national championship, recognizing a bunch of new champions, but not Flamengo's 1987 title. This was a competition in a cup format where the state champions from Rio and Sao Paulo automatically entered in the semifinals.

So with this change in the "official" status of Taca Brasil, Santos went from having 2 national titles to 8 (despite the fact that in 6 of those 8 titles they only played 4 matches).

This set off a flood of attempts to get older titles recognized. Vasco became South American champion of 1948 and so on.

The reason I mention this is because FIFA has just accepted that Palmeiras is the 1951 world champion as winners of the Rio cup. Which now means that Fluminense wants their 1852 Rio cup win recognized as a world title. Which is all bizarre because no one outside Brazil cares or knows about it, but in Brazil it has led to endless columns, blog posts, etc.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I was watching Santos - Corinthians but it started raining and directv went out :(

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

El Hefe posted:

I was watching Santos - Corinthians but it started raining and directv went out :(

I was trying to watch Internacional - Grêmio but a lot of the Brazilian streams are poo poo. Was it any good?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
It was just starting but Robinho was playing!

Really funny how he just got there yesterday or something and he's already starting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Badger of Basra posted:

I was trying to watch Internacional - Grêmio but a lot of the Brazilian streams are poo poo.

Stop trying to watch that game, it's terrible so far.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dias posted:

Stop trying to watch that game, it's terrible so far.

a magia do Felipão

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Currently watching Gimnasia - River play on a mostly empty stadium for some reason

Oh I think the reason is that the stadium isn't finished

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

Currently watching Gimnasia - River play on a mostly empty stadium for some reason

Me too. I feel bad for Gimnasia. They got robbed of a goal. Stupid post.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

El Hefe posted:

It looks half full but they're all sitting behind the camera.

I'm a big fan of this commercial telling me to wear a helmet.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
The stand that used to be in front of the camera was like 90 years old and made of wood. The club tore it down to make it look they were in process of renewing the stadium so they weren't forced to play in the bigger and more comfortable Ciudad de La Plata stadium. Estudiantes had a similar stadium but instead of just pretending they are really building a new one.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

So are away fans really banned this season? I just half heard the commentators say so but wasn't really paying attention

In other news, in Costa Rica the cup is played before the league season because the people in charge are dumb. Cartaginés won their first trophy in a long time today by beating the purple shits 3-2 in a great comeback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZHdHeBv8-o

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 11, 2014

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Yes, away fans are still banned. there were talks about allowing them again but I don't know when is going to happen.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Libertadores final is on. Nacional hit the post already.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Polidoro posted:

Libertadores final is on. Nacional hit the post already.

I couldn't tell if the keeper got a hand to it or not. Hell of a chance though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Man what an unlucky handball.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Fatty scores for the pope's boys

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

gently caress this poo poo. I don't think I've ever seen ortigoza miss a penalty.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
This is some poo poo football

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

These are the two worst second placed teams from the first round. No wonder they are poo poo.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

What a poo poo tournament, the libertadores must be rolling in their graves.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I really didn't want Argentina to win. Oh well.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I feel asleep. Looks like I didn't miss much.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Well I'm happy :colbert:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I'm having fun reading all the tweets from angry argies when mister chip says Ortigoza is Paraguayan

e: reminder that this is how San Lorenzo barely made it through the group stages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBC1OFP-b4M

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 14, 2014

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Im6l63xH0

at least he didn't bite anyone jeesh

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Drogadon posted:

I'm having fun reading all the tweets from angry argies when mister chip says Ortigoza is Paraguayan

e: reminder that this is how San Lorenzo barely made it through the group stages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBC1OFP-b4M

Ortigoza es white

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Polidoro posted:

Ortigoza es white

surely uruguayans do this too?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

we come in a variety of colors.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Sorry for not posting last week but I was busy hanging out with friends but speaking of Libertadores the new CONMEBOL president wants to invite MLS teams to it since they can get more money here in the US. While it would be cool the travel would a nightmare and the MLS teams can't beat Liga MX teams so I can't image what would happen if we go up against south american teams, anyway here's this week Liga MX post.

This weekend games (all times CST/-5GMT)

Friday, August 15, 2014
7:30 PM
Querétaro v Veracruz
9:30 PM
Tijuana v Chiapas

Saturday, August 16, 2014
5:00 PM
América v Morelia
Puebla v Tigres UANL
7:00 PM
Monterrey v Cruz Azul
9:00 PM
Atlas v Universidad Guadalajara

Sunday, August 17, 2014
12:00 PM
Toluca v Pachuca
Guadalajara v Santos Laguna

Results
Thursday, August 14, 2014
FT
León 2 - 1 Pumas

Sunday, August 10, 2014
FT
Pumas 0 - 1 Atlas
FT
Universidad Guadalajara 0 - 0 Toluca

Saturday, August 9, 2014
FT
Chiapas 3 - 2 León
FT
Cruz Azul 1 - 0 Puebla
FT
Pachuca 3 - 0 Guadalajara
FT
Santos Laguna 2 - 3 Querétaro
FT
Tigres UANL 0 - 2 América

Friday, August 8, 2014
FT
Morelia 0 - 0 Tijuana
FT
Veracruz 2 - 1 Monterrey

Current table

Giovanni_Sinclair fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 16, 2014

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I would really like to see some MLS team play against Sport Huancayo or Bolivar.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Portland Timbers vs Boca or River or Penarol or Flamengo or Fluminense or anyone oh god pleaaaaaaaase

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gigi Galli posted:

Portland Timbers vs Boca or River or Penarol or Flamengo or Fluminense or anyone oh god pleaaaaaaaase

Flamengo is garbage right now. Let them play Cruzeiro. :getin:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I was listening to Soccer Morning this morning (a really good show that everyone should listen to) and it seems the Brazilian press were also talking about how better MLS was getting and how it should join too. It would be cool seeing MLS teams in it and it would increase the level of play for MLS teams but the travel they would have to do would be insane. What months the libertadores run again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

I was listening to Soccer Morning this morning (a really good show that everyone should listen to) and it seems the Brazilian press were also talking about how better MLS was getting and how it should join too. It would be cool seeing MLS teams in it and it would increase the level of play for MLS teams but the travel they would have to do would be insane. What months the libertadores run again?

January to August, but after April things get really spread out with the knockout stages.