Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Fuegan posted:

Managed to finally get around to finishing up some details to my Praetor and finishing the first half of my first Tactical Squad. They're not the cleanest paint job I've ever done but I wanted to go for that gritty weathered look. I might add some flames to break up the green but I'm happy with them for the moment.

Those guys own; you got the Salamanders skin tone perfectly.

In other news, here's how to waste 140 bucks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Don't forget the dignity cost as well

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Stop pony shaming.

Man! So we were going to make a kroot army and model a penis with a magnet attached to all of them. Then magnetize our objective markers so that they would all be erect when in range to control it. I just realized that when you bunch up the unit it would mean all the dicks would be repulsed, making it extra hilarious.

This is what happens when our group has been playing warhammer for 10+ hours and decide to drive home after eating at hooters.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

HiveCommander posted:

Someone who would do this never had dignity in the first place.

I have decided to go to the Renegade Open in Minneapolis this year. Any other goons planning on going?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It can be repainted. Would he a real waste if he chopped up the weapons and toy doll to make a cyberony.

I hate myself for thinking up that word.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

These are some nice Salamanders.
Every time I see how nice Forge World models look, I become thankful that I'm too broke to buy them.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Man, I am pretty much 100% all right with ponies, but that robot looks godawful. At least the Nazi army guy was a good painter.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, the most galling part of it is that it's an advertisement for a painting studio.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Seven thumbs down for not taking the paint job past "initial basecoat and color blocking".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pacheeco posted:

Four hooves down for not taking the paint job past "initial basecoat and color blocking".

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I'm pretty sure those are stickers too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, the most galling part of it is that it's an advertisement for a painting studio.

:wtc: Even looking past the ponies, that model has had nothing done to it beyond basic color blocking. Not even a wash.

But I'm sure that was probably a commissioned piece. :negative:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can't put a price on trolling hams.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

At least the static grass turned out ok.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fuegan posted:

lovely picture time!

Managed to finally get around to finishing up some details to my Praetor and finishing the first half of my first Tactical Squad. They're not the cleanest paint job I've ever done but I wanted to go for that gritty weathered look. I might add some flames to break up the green but I'm happy with them for the moment.

Next up, either finish up my Pyroclasts or start on the next 5 guys for the squad.

Or the Firedrakes...

These look dope and I dig the metal highlights.

I can't get over the black face though. Its cannon I know, but it just looks so weird to me.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah it's kind of weird to paint too if I'm honest. Quite difficult to get the tones right but there we go. Gotta get the practice in ready for Vulkan.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I have a bunch of 40K figures from when I used to play, but it's been so long that I don't remember which are which. Almost all of them are already painted, some are pewter, and some are metal. Armies include Necron, Tau, Ork, and Space Marine.
I'm wanting to get these to the point where I can just sell them. Would you guys be able to help me identify them and give me a rough value and/or any offers?

http://imgur.com/a/NNq9M

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Valicious posted:

I have a bunch of 40K figures from when I used to play, but it's been so long that I don't remember which are which. Almost all of them are already painted, some are pewter, and some are metal. Armies include Necron, Tau, Ork, and Space Marine.
I'm wanting to get these to the point where I can just sell them. Would you guys be able to help me identify them and give me a rough value and/or any offers?

http://imgur.com/a/NNq9M

Better pictures of things would help to nail down a strong value (there are some limited-release/out of production pieces that are worth more), but a good starting point is 50% of the (current) box price.

Starting from the top, it looks like you have... about three boxes of Terminators, plus a couple other guys I can't identify strongly (Grey Knight Terminator? Strike Squad Incinerator dude?) Below that are a bunch of Tactical Marines, maaaaaaaybe a Captain with Power Fist, a pair of Scout Marines, an Attack Bike and a regular Bike.

The two Tau tanks are a Devilfish and a Hammerhead, but poor condition there is gonna hurt the value.

In the Tau infantry, I see a half-box or so of Kroot, an Ethereal (not sure which one, though), half a dozen of the old-style Stealth Suits, fifty-ish Fire Warriors with Pulse Rifles, four or six Pathfinders, and three Crisis suits.

The Necrons appear to be mostly Necron Warriors, with a pair of Wraiths, a pair of Spyders, four Destroyers, and a Lord/Overlord.

The Orks I definitely see eight Stormboyz, a Meganob, a Killa Kan, two of the old Gorka Morka-style Trukks, a Warbuggy, either a Nob or Warboss in the front right there, and a mix of Slugga and Shoota Boyz.

The Games Workshop site and/or Ebay will give you rough estimates of the going rates for stuff there, but 50% is a good starting point. Being painted won't count for much here and the mediocre assembly will be a strike against some things, but none of it appears unsellable. Better pictures will help a lot if you're trying to get good offers on stuff. Selling it as a lot could be easiest if you don't really care, but breaking it up into smaller chunks will get you more per piece (at the potential cost of some of it selling really low/not at all, depending.)

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Painted up a Praetor counts-as Chapter Master as a birthday gift for my brother:

I'm terrible at photos, but pretty happy at how it has turned out so far regardless. :)

edit:

JerryLee posted:

That's pretty awesome indeed. The only caveat I would mention is that the Tyranid parts are way too close in hue to the armor color.

Thanks! I agree about the hue issue, but that's the scheme I use for my Tyranids so it can't be helped :v:

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 17, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Print this on a shirt and wear it to a bar, I da-

... okay, that would actually be kinda ballsy and fun.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Soulfucker posted:

Painted up a Praetor counts-as Chapter Master as a birthday gift for my brother:

I'm terrible at photos, but pretty happy at how it has turned out so far regardless. :)

That's pretty awesome indeed. The only caveat I would mention is that the Tyranid parts are way too close in hue to the armor color.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Got my Champions of Fenris supplement today and I'm liking it a lot especially some of the formations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hooray, I got to erase a fraction of a squad of ork boyz with my Vulkan Hestan. I need to play this game more often.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Titan that autism built.

E: For a split second, before the Pony stickers registered in my mind, I thought that it was some kind of shout-out to the secret level in Diablo 3, in which case I liked it just long enough for my eyes to find their bearings.

Dump_Stat fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 17, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I didn't even see all the pony poo poo on that knight at first. It's like my brain blocked it out. All I noticed initially was the goofy base and mediocre paint job.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Preferred Enemy: just that thing

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Post 9-11 User posted:

Oh snap, I forgot! You're the guy with the insane Marine War Golem. Glad to see the army progressing, I have seen many, many armies start on websites and never get completed. Keep it going! :cmon:

I totally stopped updating while I was in the middle of my move. But here is a bunch of stuff I did between here and then.

I think I'm going to redo the Tyrannic war vets sometime soon. They were second hand and a bit beat up. But I could say no to free models.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

It's from here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phantasos-Studio-Bemalservice/136800663098607
Including lots more pictures.

Somebody paid to have that done.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
In one out five games, my deathstrike missile have done useful stuff. First game it killed a grot, second game it tore up a squad of fire warriors, but left the ethereal alive. Third game it murdered an entire assault marine squad and the warlord leading them :toot: , fourth game it killed 4 necron warriors and fifth game it killed 2 assault marines. Maybe I shouldn't use it.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
The issue is that you're only using one :kheldragar:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
NoVA Preperations are finishing up this week for me before I have to call brushes down. Thanks for all the help with my list, looking forward to some awesome games.

This is how I plan on formatting my list for my opponent's ease of reading:

AbusePuppy, and thoughts on a 2k version for 'Narrative'? If I go for the Ironman Award I would also need a 2k/1k version for Trios, 2k solo and 1k paired with MSP hybrid air/mech crons and probably a NoVA area Goon. I was thinking of just getting closer to maxing out my FA units as close as possible for 2k and then for 1k maybe loosing Tzeentch/Khrone heralds and Be'Lakor/Hounds, but I'm not sure if the list is designed for 1k.

Expect some model and army pics soon!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

NoVA Preperations are finishing up this week for me before I have to call brushes down. Thanks for all the help with my list, looking forward to some awesome games.

AbusePuppy, and thoughts on a 2k version for 'Narrative'? If I go for the Ironman Award I would also need a 2k/1k version for Trios, 2k solo and 1k paired with MSP hybrid air/mech crons and probably a NoVA area Goon. I was thinking of just getting closer to maxing out my FA units as close as possible for 2k and then for 1k maybe loosing Tzeentch/Khrone heralds and Be'Lakor/Hounds, but I'm not sure if the list is designed for 1k.

14 is nurgles number *2, 8 is khornes number. Your FA choices are all wrong :colbert:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

What’s your email? I’ll walk you through it.

Can you PM me a guide as well?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hmm. Yeah, pumping up the FA stuff is probably your best bet for 2K; you could also potentially slot in another Soul Grinder. Do be advised that TWC will gently caress up your Walkers in a fight, but contrawise your FA stuff should give them fits if you match it right (especially the Hounds.) Always remember that you are living off of your buffs/debuffs from Telepathy and the Grimooire- in a straight fight, you can be in some serious trouble against most things.

If you were looking to go a little softer for the narrative event- to be honest, I've never been to NOVA so I don't really know how the narrative part actually runs in terms of lists- you could look to bring in some EL slot stuff, like Fiends, Beasts or Flamers. A Skull Cannon or something else in the HS could also work if you wanted to cover your bases a bit.

A 1K version would be really tough; basically, you would need to dump Be'lakor and the Grinders and focus on the FA units. Maybe trim it down to Khorn Dogs + Screamers with their respective Heralds, buffing the squads up slightly to compensate. But without access to the second unit buff via Telepathy I don't know if it's worth it.

If you're pairing with Cron Air, a good route to go would be to field some tough melee units to "ward off" any potential assaulters and claim midfield objectives while leaving it to MSP to provide firepower to break open tanks and kill opposing backfield units. Two Soul Grinders of Nurgle with Phlegm would be perfect, although you could do Tzeentch and not suffer too badly for it. Those, Herald + Dogs, and then some Screamers, Furies (don't underestimate Furies of Slaanesh!), or just a Herald of Tzeentch to do summoning shenanigans would be pretty solid, I feel. (Plus the requisite troops, of course.)

Geoff Zahn posted:

Can you PM me a guide as well?

Since this appears to be a thing folks are struggling with:

Necrons are a tough army; thanks to the Annihilation Barge, Command Barge, and Night Scythe they have some amazingly-efficient units despite being one of the oldest codices around at this point. They put out brutal mid-strength firepower in very large numbers while also having utility shooting and good melee defenses to keep themselves in the game, and their ability to deliver scoring units is second to none. However, all of this doesn't mean they aren't without weaknesses.

First of all, their airplanes are excellent delivery platforms for troops, but they are by no means invincible. A Quad Gun goes a long ways towards neutering them and, in a pinch, it can shoot full BS at their other vehicles as well (since they're all skimmers.) A single Weapon Destroyed result neuters its firepower and Immobilized, even when it doesn't kill them, can greatly limit their ability to place units where they want them. Know that 18" distance and how to place your units to prevent them from landing near you! If you're facing a flyer-heavy list, try and get the second turn- you absolutely do not want to let them have the opportunity to simply dump four Troop units out on turn 5 and win the game. For armies without good anti-flyer access (either on their own or via allies) you can simply push in to occupy midfield- the fewer turns of strafing runs you allow them to make before flying off the board the better; against infantry and many other targets, the shooting that a Scythe can output is not exceptionally dangerous (1-2 dead Marines per turn, for example) so you can simply wait them out and kill off everything else in the army.

Annihilation Barges are simply very tough and very shooty for very cheap. You can't exactly "do" anything about them, but they do have some notable weaknesses; like all Quantum Shielding vehicles, once you score a penetrating hit on them they are virtually dead already due to Open-Topped and being reduced to AV11. If the penetration itself doesn't kill them, some perfunctory other shooting (Autocannons, etc) should do so easily. Their range is only 24" and they are not Fast vehicles, so deploying (or moving to) 25" or 31" away from them can make things difficult for them- they are at their strongest when allowed to simply sit and shoot freely in a stationary location, so force them to maneuver. If you have a more aggressive army, remember that they are still just regular vehicles when it comes to melee- AV11 in the rear, sure, but Krak Grenades will still break through that relatively easily (and 6s will pen them and bring down their Shields as usual.) As with the Scythe, while they are very obnoxious in terms of shooting, for nonvehicle units it is quite possible to simply weather things for a turn or three, since they don't cut through armor or anything like that.

Command Barges are the trickiest of the lot- they are fast, tough, and work as a hard counter to a lot of other units that would otherwise be strong against Necrons. Very, very few types of guns are good against them and when fully-upgraded it can be almost impossible to bring them down without dedicating your whole turn to shooting them. There are a handful of useful strategies, though- S10 weapons of all types really scare them, as they can Instant Death the rider on a failed save and also penetrate the tank quite easily. If you can sneak a penetrating hit through, they are much easier to bring down as the enemy can't just pawn off all S6 and lower hits on the vehicle. Remember that blast weapons always strike the vehicle, never the rider- this can be a great way to get that lucky penetrating hit. While the Command Barge is a melee unit, melee is also one of the easier ways to kill it as you, not the enemy, get to pick where attacks go; Meltabombs are a wonderful way to bring them down (hit on 3+, pen on 6+, Explodes on 4+) provided you have someone to absorb the inevitable challenge. As always, if you've gotten a penetrating hit already things become infinitely easier, as AV11 is quite different from AV13. Also remember that Mindshackle Scarabs works on a random model in base contact, even during a challenge, so chances are it won't hit your key character (but it will still mess up MCs pretty badly unless you can throw in a bunch of chumps to "help.")

Necron Warriors are the most common troop for the army and they have a critical weakness it's easy to forget: they only have 4+ armor. Not only does this mean that a large number of weapons will cut through and force them to roll cover saves, it means that even just rolling against Bolters or the like they will take noticeably more wounds than Marines will. They also, of course, fold relatively easily in melee combat, though not so much so as armies like Tau or Guard will; however, if you have to choose between having a shootout with them and going for the charge, you'll generally want to try for the charge.

Necrons also struggle with certain other types of units, most especially Monstrous Creatures and other high-toughness targets with reasonable saves. Since most of their guns are simply S4-7 with minimal AP values, anything that is difficult to wound with a good armor save can be a nightmare for them- especially if it also is good enough to tie them up in melee. Daemons, Tyranids, Eldar, and other armies with access to effective MCs can be very problematic for Necrons unless they invest heavily into Harbingers of Destruction. Similarly, Chaos Spawn, Bullgryn, and other units with good Toughness and other defenses are quite problematic for them, as their firepower ends up being not all that efficient against them. Lacking even a single Ignores Cover weapon in their codex, Necrons also run into problems against cheap units with good cover saves- for example, any model with the Mantle of the Laughing God, or a unit behind an Aegis Line, which they have to fight to do any meaningful damage to.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 17, 2014

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Better pictures of things would help to nail down a strong value (there are some limited-release/out of production pieces that are worth more), but a good starting point is 50% of the (current) box price.

Starting from the top, it looks like you have... about three boxes of Terminators, plus a couple other guys I can't identify strongly (Grey Knight Terminator? Strike Squad Incinerator dude?) Below that are a bunch of Tactical Marines, maaaaaaaybe a Captain with Power Fist, a pair of Scout Marines, an Attack Bike and a regular Bike.

The two Tau tanks are a Devilfish and a Hammerhead, but poor condition there is gonna hurt the value.

In the Tau infantry, I see a half-box or so of Kroot, an Ethereal (not sure which one, though), half a dozen of the old-style Stealth Suits, fifty-ish Fire Warriors with Pulse Rifles, four or six Pathfinders, and three Crisis suits.

The Necrons appear to be mostly Necron Warriors, with a pair of Wraiths, a pair of Spyders, four Destroyers, and a Lord/Overlord.

The Orks I definitely see eight Stormboyz, a Meganob, a Killa Kan, two of the old Gorka Morka-style Trukks, a Warbuggy, either a Nob or Warboss in the front right there, and a mix of Slugga and Shoota Boyz.

The Games Workshop site and/or Ebay will give you rough estimates of the going rates for stuff there, but 50% is a good starting point. Being painted won't count for much here and the mediocre assembly will be a strike against some things, but none of it appears unsellable. Better pictures will help a lot if you're trying to get good offers on stuff. Selling it as a lot could be easiest if you don't really care, but breaking it up into smaller chunks will get you more per piece (at the potential cost of some of it selling really low/not at all, depending.)

Thanks so much for the reply!
Grey Knight Terminator, Captain w/ Power Fist, and a Warboss sound right. I remember hearing/saying those names a lot back when I was playing. I'll take some more pictures when I get back into town on Tuesday. I'd prefer to sell them in as big of chunks as I can, as I predict shipping these is going to be a nightmare.

Does anyone in this thread live in Albuquerque/New Mexico who might be interested in these? I will give some insane discount if I don't have to bother with shipping.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Throb Robinson posted:

I think I'm going to redo the Tyrannic war vets sometime soon. They were second hand and a bit beat up. But I could say no to free models.

I don't understand your weathering at all. It doesn't just look like they've been slogging through piles of poo poo, it literally looks like they have been having a poo poo fight and throwing poop at each other. There are big clumps of poop on people's shoulders and stuff. Why would they have poop on their shoulders?

There's just way too much poop, dude, why are they all completely covered in poop? Why is this the concept at all

I'm so bewildered. I feel like you could cut the poop by 75% and they would still look totally covered in poop.

edit: I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound so negative. Those models have just got me in full-on guile stare mode.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 17, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

DJ Dizzy posted:

In one out five games, my deathstrike missile have done useful stuff. First game it killed a grot, second game it tore up a squad of fire warriors, but left the ethereal alive. Third game it murdered an entire assault marine squad and the warlord leading them :toot: , fourth game it killed 4 necron warriors and fifth game it killed 2 assault marines. Maybe I shouldn't use it.

Deathstrike missiles are a bluff. You use them for the theatrics, convincing your opponent to come after them first rather than your better units. Your reward for doing this is the seldom round of absolute awesomeness.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

AbusePuppy posted:

Since this appears to be a thing folks are struggling with:
(How to fight necrons)

That's some great advice for dealing with necrons, but I thought he was asking about how to get good ebay deals. Someone post that instead.

Throb Robinson posted:

I totally stopped updating while I was in the middle of my move. But here is a bunch of stuff I did between here and then.

Your guys are always fighting in a world that consists solely of blocked sewer pipes, right? Or on a daemon world where poo poo literally rains from the sky?

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Ignite Memories posted:

I don't understand your weathering at all. It doesn't just look like they've been slogging through piles of poo poo, it literally looks like they have been having a poo poo fight and throwing poop at each other. There are big clumps of poop on people's shoulders and stuff. Why would they have poop on their shoulders?

There's just way too much poop, dude, why are they all completely covered in poop? Why is this the concept at all

I'm so bewildered. I feel like you could cut the poop by 75% and they would still look totally covered in poop.

edit: I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound so negative. Those models have just got me in full-on guile stare mode.

No worries man. Short answer is basically I like it like that. I can totally tone it down but I like how filthy they are.

• Locked thread