Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ſs

ß

just sayin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

there's a thing where operations in the discrete domain are done with greek letters and analagous things in the continuous domain are done with latin latters. eg. delta and d, and sigma and s. blew my mind in eleventh grade

That's just coincidence.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tef posted:

ſs

ß

just sayin

monocle

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tef posted:

ſs

ß

just sayin
start the typography thread. i won't read it since it will be full of insufferable nerd poo poo, but that's the op right there

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

candy for breakfast posted:

you get 10 free "sites" with azure hosting.

once you get that going follow this tutorial to do publishing straight from visual studio.

it's almost comical how easy it is to do that poo poo

oh neat free microsoft

so what you're saying is microsoft will host my dinky asp.net site for free (with CPU usage over a certain amount charged at a reasonable rate per hour) with 5gb of outgoing traffic and give me a 2gb database for 8 cents a day and I can do it all from visual studio??? that's cheaper than feeding a third world childe!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 14, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

e: double

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh neat free microsoft

so what you're saying is microsoft will host my dinky asp.net site for free (with CPU usage over a certain amount charged at a reasonable rate per hour) with 5gb of outgoing traffic and give me a 2gb database for 8 cents a day and I can do it all from visual studio??? that's cheaper than feeding a third world childe!
the first hit's always free

microsoft: just say no

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Soricidus posted:

the first hit's always free

microsoft: just say no

HELLO

im warning you all to NOT SMOKE A MICROSOFT

my uncle smoked a microsoft once and he MELTED HIS BRIAN

also the police smeleld the microsoft (a microsoft is veery smelly when you smoke it) and he got taken in and put in the BIG HOUSE

all just cause he wanted to get traffic!!!!!

dont smoke a microsoft!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if I catch my daughter with that poo poo I'm going to make her smoke the whole stack

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MononcQc posted:

I have to say I also hate that typographic thing where the s looks like an f, purely because I'm not used to see it and it fucks with my brain.

https://justinetunney.com/welfare.html

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

suffix posted:

i like ſ because it reads like all the learned people of old had a bad lisp

"i will thake the fum of two numbers, denoted by this fymbol fignifying fumma"

Mark but this flea, and mark in this,
How little that which thou deniest me is;
It sucked me first, and now sucks thee,
And in this flea our two bloods mingled be;
Thou know’st that this cannot be said
A sin, nor shame, nor loss of maidenhead,
Yet this enjoys before it woo,
And pampered swells with one blood made of two,
And this, alas, is more than we would do.

Oh stay, three lives in one flea spare,
Where we almost, nay more than married are.
This flea is you and I, and this
Our mariage bed, and marriage temple is;
Though parents grudge, and you, w'are met,
And cloistered in these living walls of jet.
Though use make you apt to kill me,
Let not to that, self-murder added be,
And sacrilege, three sins in killing three.

Cruel and sudden, hast thou since
Purpled thy nail, in blood of innocence?
Wherein could this flea guilty be,
Except in that drop which it sucked from thee?
Yet thou triumph’st, and say'st that thou
Find’st not thy self, nor me the weaker now;
’Tis true; then learn how false, fears be:
Just so much honor, when thou yield’st to me,
Will waste, as this flea’s death took life from thee.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

they liked their mildly rude innuendo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh neat free microsoft

this except unironically

unlike amazon free tier microsoft isn't requiring you to give them a credit card number or anything. it's only for 30 days but it's really, truly free in that 30 days.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

whoa and i can even export the eve online static database export from my local sql server instance to an azure instance with one button so i can dick around with that

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Luigi Thirty posted:

whoa and i can even export the eve online static database export from my local sql server instance to an azure instance with one button so i can dick around with that
you could but why would you

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

coffeetable posted:

you could but why would you

it was the only data set i already had loaded into sql server

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
today on slashdot:

http://riscv.org/download.html#tab_isaspec

an open-source isa that's actually looking like it will ship useful silicon sometime soon

the arch itself looks really elegant too (there's 128-bit variant though, what? :psyduck: even as a wanking exercise it seems a bit pointless, like, this isn't 4x32-bit SIMD or whatever, the architecture variant in question describes an arch that has 128-bit words and GPRs).

still, i imagine if they ship then ARM's lawyers will hold them down while Intel's lawyers beat the poo poo out of them.

e: :holymoley: that jump-immediate instruction layout

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 16, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

today on slashdot:

http://riscv.org/download.html#tab_isaspec

an open-source isa that's actually looking like it will ship useful silicon sometime soon

the arch itself looks really elegant too (there's 128-bit variant though, what? :psyduck: even as a wanking exercise it seems a bit pointless, like, this isn't 4x32-bit SIMD or whatever, the architecture variant in question describes an arch that has 128-bit words and GPRs).

still, i imagine if they ship then ARM's lawyers will hold them down while Intel's lawyers beat the poo poo out of them.

e: :holymoley: that jump-immediate instruction layout

i like the mill stuff but until they have working hardware they are just hype

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this doesnt look all that reduced

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i just wanted to say lol @ all 1-indexed programming languages

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

dragon enthusiast posted:

lol at caring about trivial irrelevant poo poo

americong
May 29, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

same

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

lol at caring about trivial irrelevant poo poo

sorry this is the one thing (one of the things?) that brings out full sperg in me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i think u mean the 0 thing

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

i think u mean the 0 thing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
um, no?

it's the zero'th item in the set of things that brings out the sperg in him, which has size 1.

:sperg:

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
it's not the end of the world to index arrays from 1. there are a lot of far worse things a p-lang could do. overall, it's not really that much effort to deal with.

what it is is that it's objectively and irrefutably the wrong choice in every way. it's not a trade-off. there is no advantage. why would I want to use a language designed by someone who couldn't even get this right.

even python gets this right.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

seiken posted:

it's not the end of the world to index arrays from 1. there are a lot of far worse things a p-lang could do. overall, it's not really that much effort to deal with.

what it is is that it's objectively and irrefutably the wrong choice in every way. it's not a trade-off. there is no advantage. why would I want to use a language designed by someone who couldn't even get this right.

even python gets this right.

nah if ur translating math -> loops it ends up being ok

otherwise, lol.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
for the record, integer division rounding towards zero rather than negative infinity is similarly wrong and disgusting

this is a trade-off, though, since at least you can do the wrong way faster as that's how the hardware works (which is itself a great shame)

seiken fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 16, 2014

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

seiken posted:

for the record, integer division rounding towards zero rather than negative infinity is similarly wrong and disgusting

this is a trade-off, though, since at least you can do the wrong way faster as that's how the hardware works (which is itself a great shame)

i am not a math guy so please explain why you think -3/2 == -1 == -(3/2) is wrong and why is -3/2 == -2 != -(3/2) is better

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i am not a math guy so please explain why you think -3/2 == -1 == -(3/2) is wrong and why is -3/2 == -2 != -(3/2) is better
b*(a/b) + a%b = a

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

nah if ur translating math -> loops it ends up being ok

otherwise, lol.

loops w/ programmer defined bounds are lol

not every language needs to be fortran

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

because round-towards-zero does not satisfy the euclidean division theorem.

but for a practical argument consider that for non-negative integers, the division operation f(x) = x/n is exactly the operation of partitioning the integer line into equally-sized buckets (of size n) and telling you which bucket x falls in. (similarly, f(x) = x%n tells you the offset of x within that bucket)

if you extend / and % to the negative integers under round-to-zero, this is no longer the case. if you extend under round-to-negative-infinity, it holds.

the first example you point out seems nice and intuitive, but isn't actually terribly useful in practice. sensible integer-line-partitioning is a far more fundamental and useful discrete operation; many basic algorithms extend in useful ways to negative numbers with round-to-negative-infinity but break entirely with round-to-zero (e.g. defining a grid on an integer plane).

if you want numbers to behave like numbers you should probably be using floating-point anyway

edit: see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulo_operation (the top graph is what most languages use, the bottom graph is obviously the best)

seiken fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 16, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

seiken posted:

if you want numbers to behave like numbers you should probably be using floating-point anyway

lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

seiken posted:

I'm 0.1 + 0.2

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

seiken posted:

you've been very lucky in yr dealings w/ fp then

e: beaten twice

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Subjunctive posted:

I'm 0.1 + 0.2

lol if you don't think in binary

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
i mean of course you're gonna think floating-point is weird if you insist on these doomed examples using "numbers" like 0.1 and 0.2 that don't actually exist in the first place

vvv :thejoke:

seiken fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 16, 2014

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

seiken posted:

I get what you meant but holy poo poo this is some terrible choice of words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

seiken posted:

i mean of course you're gonna think floating-point is weird if you insist on these doomed examples using "numbers" like 0.1 and 0.2 that don't actually exist in the first place

vvv :thejoke: